Episode 8

Roommate: Idol Special
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

EPISODE EIGHT - YOU AND I

The roommates who should take the turn to prepare breakfast are Lu Han and L. However, since both of them are not in the house at the moment; Lu Han is still in the midst of having a large-scale solo concert in Taipei along with his fellow EXO members and L, on the other hand, went out early in the morning to the hair salon before going to the script-reading session for his upcoming drama with Rain and f(x)’s Krystal, ‘My Lovely Girl’.

In the end, Nana and L.Joe take the errand and both of the male idols will take their turn tomorrow (since Lu Han will be flying back to Seoul tonight).

“Nana noona, what are we going to prepare for breakfast?” L.Joe coos, tilting his head at the older female’s direction in curiosity. “Kimchi fried rice? Omelette rice? Sandwich?”

“Victoria unnie and Yoona unnie have done kimchi fried rice and omelette rice in the past.” Nana shakes her head. “And about sandwich, we can try it out, but unfortunately... we’re running out of vegetables.”

“I can go buy in the market!”

“It’s 8.30 am in the morning, L.Joe-ah,” she giggles lightly. “Market usually opens at 9.00 am.”

A sigh escapes his lips. “Then what are we going to do now?”

“Hmm...” Nana hums in reply as she takes time to skim through the web search. When she seems to have found something, she looks up at the rapper. “L.Joe-ah, have you heard or eaten French toast?”

He seems to know about the dish. “Isn’t that bread soaked in beaten eggs and then fried, is it?”

“You’re right. How did you know, L.Joe-ah?” Nana rolls her eyes in surprise. “

“I used to eat it when I was in the States back then,” says the male idol, scratching the back of his head. “Let’s just make it, noona. It’s easy and I think every one of us will like it.”

“To modify a little bit of the basic recipe, we can add toppings like fruits and whipped cream!” he suggests with a spark of smile at the corner of his lips. “And by the way, I think it goes very well with coffee!”

She grins at him. “Well, we’ll go with French toast since the recipe isn’t that hard.” Nana is not much of a good cook and she does not usually step into the kitchen, thus she supposes preparing a simple breakfast for her beloved roommates is the best thing she could do.

Both of them take out the ingredients to make French toasts from the fridge and cabinet and put them all on the working table.

“Since it’s pretty earlier and the others seem to have not woken up yet, let’s just do that later,” she tells him. “If we did that right now, I’m afraid it would get cold. If they are already up by this time, we could make it right away.”

“Whatever is good, I’ll just follow you.”

Another smile spreads across the older female’s face. “Ah by the way, have you seen our latest MV?”

“Of course I have!” L.Joe chuckles. “I watched it the day it was released.”

The one and only sub-unit of After School, Orange Caramel, came back again after releasing their hit single this March, ‘Catallena’. For this follow-up comeback, they still retain the colourful and quirky style, which represents the group’s image.

“’My Copycat is totally addictive,” he says, referring to the latter’s latest title track. “I found myself dancing to the song after I repeated the song for a few times.”

“Really?” Nana clamps her hand over , only to stifle her laugh. “For the record, I kind of like this song better than Catallena.”

“I like both.” Much to his wit, Nana once again, bursts into big laughter of exhilaration and thanks for younger’s sense of humour.

Then, they both immerse in a conversation revolving their lives as idols.

“You know, noona...” L.Joe fiddles his fingers on the table. “I think 2014 is definitely your year. I mean, you’re very famous nowadays. Your face pops anywhere; television, CF, magazines and so much more. Plus, you’ve been always standing in the middle in the jacket album cover ever since Catallena era.”

“I stood in the middle in the past jacket albums, though,” Nana chuckles and truth be told, she agrees what L.Joe has just said. “Ever since I came up second in the list of the most beautiful woman in the world, I kind of got the spotlight that I’d never gotten before. It seems surreal, but I can’t help but be happy.”

“Lucky you, noona.” He pouts. “I wonder when my time will be.”

The female idol grins at him. “I think you’re already famous throughout this show, L.Joe-ah.”

“Kind of.” L.Joe smiles back at her.

“Speaking of which, when will your group come back? It’s been a while since your last comeback, hasn’t it?”

“We’re in the final preparation of the comeback, noona. Probably we’re going to be back to Kpop scene this mid-September.” He seems utterly delighted as he tells her. “Tell you what, noona... I composed two songs in the mini album!”

“Really?” Nana clamps her hand over , surprised. “You write songs too, L-Joe-ah?”

“I can... but I’m not that good.” Blushes creep on his both cheeks.

“I bet you’re just good as G-Dragon sunbae-nim and BEAST’s Junhyung sunbae-nim!” Nana giggles heartily. “I’ll listen to the songs upon its release!”

“At what time did Nana go out?” Victoria questions L.Joe when they are having breakfast of delight this morning. There are only five them at the moment since the other three roommates are all caught up in their own hectic schedules.

“Right after we finished preparing breakfast,” enlightens the rapper, sipping his cup of coffee. “Too bad Nana noona’s manager arrived early and she couldn’t get a taste of her own made breakfast.”

“We’ll eat on her behalf, L.Joe-ah,” Hyunsik pitches with a grin. “The French toast tastes good, by the way. I’ve never tried this out before.”

“It feels good when you actually enjoy it.” L.Joe smiles at him. “I thought it won’t fit to your taste.”

“It fits,” he adds, “perfectly.”

“The coffee’s good too. It feels freshly-brewed even by this time,” Eunji comments in awe. She gazes at L.Joe questioningly. “Did Nana unnie make this as well?”

“No.” He shakes his head, smiling. “I made it.”

“Oh...” There is a momentary pause out of the blue. She grasps the cup and she could literally feel her cheeks are burning hot. She should not have asked that earlier. “It is... really good.”

A blooming beam makes its way through his face. “I’m glad you like it.” What happened two days ago between him and Eunji harks back to mind. L forced him to make a call to Eunji amidst her busy drama filming. Of course it was utterly awkward. Prior to the phone call, they had not really talked for days. However, he managed to turn the tables and now they are back to normal. No more stiffness and awkwardness – just smiles and quips flowing out of their mouths.

“Noona, why are you smiling so widely?” Hyunsik frowns at the sight of the older female staring at her cell phone screen. “Did you receive good news?”

Yoona immediately looks up and finds herself being observed by all of them. “Well... don’t look at me so intently,” she says and starts giggling. “I was just Kakao Talk-ing with my friend.”

“Friend?” L.Joe gives her a secretive wink. “... or boyfriend?”

“That doesn’t make sense, L.Joe-ah!” She scowls. “I haven’t had enough time for myself so how can I get myself one?”

Interview

Production team: Is it true that you are still single, Yoona-ssi?

Yoona: Then do you think I was lying at that moment? *frowns* Being an idol is difficult. We don’t have enough time for ourselves to date *sighs in remembrance*

“Just kidding,” he says, grinning.

Eunji asks, “So who is that person, unnie? He or she? Is that person a celebrity?”

“A ‘he’ and... yes, he’s a celebrity.” The member of Girls’ Generation nods in comprehension. “He said just now that he has some free time today and would like to come over if we let him!”

“Of course we let him in!” Victoria claps her hands together in excitement. “We haven’t got guests for a while since EXO’s Xiumin and Kai the other day.”

“I’ll relay it to him, then.” Yoona starts typing a message that he is invited to come over their house. “He must be very delighted to come over her. I mean, he’s been watching us on TV and thought it was a good idea for idols to live together under the same roof.”

“Who is he, unnie?” Eunji’s eyes sparked in immense curiosity. “I’m really curious at the moment.”

Yoona would rather beat around the bush. “You’ll know once he comes.”

“What time will he be coming, noona?” Hyunsik rolls his eyes.

“Most likely to arrive around 4 or something...”

“Then we have about eight hours to work on little things before he comes!” Victoria has always fancied the idea of people coming to the house and she, with utmost effort, will try to make them feel at home. “I’ve got list of dishes on my mind for hi-tea and dinner!”

“Seems like you’re a little too overjoyed, noona.” L.Joe lets out a laugh. “Who do you think will come?”

Her grins widens when it comes to talking about her favourite actor and ideal type. “I don’t mind anyone... but Song Seung Hun sunbae-nim would be totally perfect!”

“That’s a no-no because we aren’t friends!” Yoona interjects abruptly, laughing. “For the record, I haven’t seen him for once!”

“That’s too bad, but... it’s okay.” Victoria’s adorable pout falters. “Let’s just think of another tall and handsome friend of Yoona’s would be our beloved guest!”

“By the way, since we’re running out of groceries,” Victoria pauses, “four of you should go to mart. I’ll sort out the list later.”

“Four of us?” Eunji gawks. “Then who’s going to be at home and do some little decorations? I’m afraid you’ll be out of hands, unnie.”

“Don’t worry. I’ll handle everything.” the oldest roommate guarantees confidently. “Speaking of which, at what time L’s going to off work?”

“At 12, I suppose,” Hyunsik answers imprecisely.

She darts her glance at Yoona. “What about Nana?”

“Oh, noona said this morning she’s going to come home late evening!” L.Joe manages to speak a tad faster than her.

“Problem’s solved!”

“Cabbage and carrots?”

“We haven’t reached the vegetable section yet, noona.”

“Brown rice?”

“Same thing.”

“Chicken?”

 “Also... same thing. We still haven’t reached that section.”

Hyunsik looks at Yoona and sighs. “Noona, don’t you think it’s hard to have us four getting one thing at one time?”

She nods and replies, “then what do we do?”

“It’d be better if we split the list and two persons in one team,” L.Joe suggests.

Yoona does not think it is a bad idea. They would work fast this way. How come did not she think before?

“Well, then–”

“I’ll go with Eunji-ssi and you go with Hyunsik hyung!”  Almost on cue, he tucks the groceries list parted and grabs the bewildered Eunji by her arm before they are nowhere to be seen with the trolley cart.

“What... is that?” Yoona’s jaw falls open. “Did they just ditch us, Hyunsik?”

“I think so,” Hyunsik giggles amusedly. “Seems like they’d rather want to be alone than keep up with us.”

Yoona actually questions L.Joe’s hasty action, but it is too petty to think at the moment. They still have loads of groceries to take care of.

“Let’s go grab brown rice, noona.” Like a gentleman, Hyunsik meekly pushes the trolley cart and heads to the particular section with Yoona walking next to him.

“Yoona noona, do you know what Victoria noona will cook for dinner?” Hyunsik takes a 500gm bag of brown rice and shoves it into the trolley cart.

“She did say something like samgyetang, I think...” Yoona’s lips jutted out in quick thoughts.

“Does samgyetang work with brown rice?” Hyunsik is not really fond with the dinner menu. “The combination’s particularly odd and I’ve never tried them out at once.”

“Neither have I.” The two idols burst into big laughter and hope the dinner would somehow turn out fine.

As they are loitering through the sections to find the remaining groceries in the list, Hyunsik could not help firing a series of questions about the mysterious guest.

“Yoona noona, I was wondering if your friend is someone I know.”

“Uhm... you may know him,” she answers quite nonchalantly. “He’s famous, after all.”

“An idol or an actor?”

“An... actor.”

Hyunsik starts wondering which man from the acting business would have a connection with Yoona. He would be around the same age of hers, he supposes. It would be strange to have a friend two times older than her.

“Who is he?”

“Not going to tell you.” She picks out a can of pickles from the rack.

“Lee Minho sunbae-nim?”

“Nope.”

“Kim Woobin sunbae-nim?”

“Errr... I don’t particularly know him.”

“Song Joongki sunbae-nim?”

“We’re friends, but... isn’t he currently in military service?”

Hyunsik chuckles. “Ah, sorry! I forgot that!”

Her cell phone vibrates all of a sudden and as fast as lightning, Yoona flings it out of her handbag.

“Oh, it’s L.” Yoona immediately flicks the ‘answer’ button.

Hyunsik pulls the trolley card ahead while waiting for her to finish. In the meantime, he will find the other things. It will cut off some time.

“Finished?”

“Yes,” she says breathlessly after having to run after the younger male.

“What did he want?”

“He was, uhm, asking me what kind of pastries I like.”

“Oh my, he was just asking for yours?” He gasps in shock.

“Yeah.... why?”

“How could he not ask me as well even though I’m the one sharing room with him?!”

Yoona feels like laughing at the moment. “Perhaps he didn’t know we were together,” she says, only to soothe him.

“As if!” Hyunsik puckers his lips and proceeds to the vegetable section with burning heart.

As soon as L comes back from the script-reading session, Victoria brings him along to the bakery. They would need some mouth-watering cakes, muffins and pastries for hi-tea.

“How’s the script-reading session going?” she inquires him, eyes fill with concern when they step in the bakery. “Good?”

“Kind of.” L smiles warmly at him. “It’s been a few months since I last acted. I feel quite rejuvenated and you know, this is apparently my first leading role. Before this drama, I’m used to playing supporting characters. Plus, I’m honoured to be acting with Rain sunbae-nim and Krystal.”

“Please take care of Krystal,” says Victoria. “She may be chic and unapproachable for the first impression. But if you get to know her closer, she’s actually bubbly and a smooth talker.”

“I will.”

“Don’t get me wrong, L. I just intend to correct other’s misconception of her. It’s true that she gives off cold vibe and doesn’t like being with crowd. Once you know her better, you’ll get what she is actually.”

“Noona, I understand your intention,” L says gently. “People used to judge the same thing towards me. They said I was cold and stuffs. It only changed when I showed up more TV shows and acted differently.”

“I hope Krystal will be viewed by people differently too,” Victoria deduces with a wishful smile. Her co-member is currently participating in a sisterly variety show with her older sister, SNSD’s Jessica, and through the show, she thinks that Krystal has slowly begun to change in a good way. On a bright note, the viewers’ responses have been widely positive.

L grabs a tray and tongs and together with Victoria, they start selecting desired pastries and muffins that they reckon suitable for hi-tea. For the cake, they simply choose cheesecake. Yoona’s friend might like the common type of cake.

“Should we choose for others as well?” He gives the Chinese woman a quizzical look. “Well... you know, they might not like the ones that we chose...”

Victoria beams brightly. “Sure.”

“Then I’ll give Yoona noona a call!” L instantly takes out his cell phone and dials the mentioned idol’s phone number.

“Noona! What are you doing?”

“Oh, L... I’m at the mart for groceries,” she replies cheerfully. “What’s wrong? Did something happen to you?”

“Nothing...” As if a fanboy who was talking to his favourite idol, L grins sheepishly and fiddles his fingers upon the pastry rack. “I’m at the bakery with Victoria noona and was wondering if you want to request for pastries that you like. We’ve already bought lots, though.”

“I think it’s enough with the ones that you two bought.”

“Why?” L pouts. “You don’t really like pastries, eh?”

“It’s not that I meant.” There is a beat of silence afterwards. “Uhm... if you insist then... a croissant would be fine for me.”

“Only one?”

“Yes, L.” A laugh is heard. “One is enough.”

“All right then,” replies L. “I’ll see you at home, noona.”

“Sure. Bye.”

“Yoona noona said she wants cros–” he stops, darting a glance at the tray in her grip. “Oh, you’ve already taken croissant.”

“I have.” Victoria smiles meaningfully and stares into the younger male’s eyes inquisitively. “Do you mind if I ask you a question, L?”

“You’re surely welcomed.”

“You like Yoona, don’t you?”

L’s heart pounds fast. “Noona, why are you saying ridiculous things?” He emits a chuckle. “I do like her, but it’s not a big deal, I think. It’s just like a younger brother fancies his older sister.”

“You look more than liking an older sister, though.” Victoria leaves to place the tray of pastries on the cashier’s table before coming back to the male idol. He looks pretty much in a daze.

“Tell me truthfully, L,” she requests. “I do not mind if you like her. I just want to know the truth.”

L prefers to stay silent. A single word does not manage to make out of his lips, though he would like to explain.

“I’ve seen it a lot before, L,” Victoria continues when the latter prefers to stay put. “You seem to have a deep affection for her. If you didn’t, you wouldn’t have known that Yoona doesn’t like oreo cheesecake. If you hadn’t said that, we would’ve gone with that instead of plain cheesecake.”

“You heard it the other night, noona!” he cries, defensive. “Yoona noona said she’s not into cheesy foods.”

She rubs her nape. “Did I?”

“You did.” L swallows nervously. “I don’t remember if I said it to you or anyone else... but I don’t see Yoona noona as a woman. I’m just like a fanboy who likes SNSD.”

“In fact, I know my limits,” he ends the sensitive conversation with those words. He feels like that Victoria can understand what he means. After all, she is an idol too. Idols need to serve their fans and fans are totally against the thought of seeing their idols have a romantic relationship with anyone.

But the idols can simply put the fans’ feelings aside if they truly are in love, cannot they?

Eunji is taken by a huge blow as the incident happened in a split second. She would love to know why L.Joe wants to pair with her instead of Hyunsik or Yoona, but her lips could not come up with a decent question.

“L.Joe-ssi,” Eunji mumbles his name, voice getting jittery all of a sudden.

L.Joe who is busy tending the shopping list, releases the vegetables in his grip and looks up to her. “Is there anything bothering you?”

“There is.” She presses her lips together into a thin line. “Why’d you drag me with you? I’m utterly confused... so please enlighten me.”

L.Joe merely laughs out of amusement. “Why? Do you not like the fact we are together at the moment.”

Her cheeks blush furiously. “W-what do you mean? Don’t make it like we have something going on each other!”

What if we have?  Those words only trap in his throat. He does have the urge to blurt it out, but after thinking the complication might turn out arduous, he halts his intention.

He would be lying if he did not like the girl next to him. Tell him, whose men’s’ heart will not flutter uncontrollably fast in front of a girl? Although Eunji is not the most feminine girl he has ever met, it does not really matter. He likes how natural she is in front of anyone she meets and besides, he feels utterly comfortable being around her.

There is a beat of silence and L.Joe breaks in before it gets too awkward. 

“Uhm... you know... it’s been a while since we were left alone. We’re always surrounded by others,” he says meekly. “It’s not I like I don’t like them being with us. That’s not my intention. I just want a teeny bit time with you.”

“Oh, all right. I get it.” The main vocalist nods in approval. “I understand what you mean, L.Joe-ssi,” she repeats.

He smiles of exhilaration. “Now if we’re clear... let’s finish the groceries list off!”

Eunji nods a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter