Episode 4

Roommate: Idol Special
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

EPISODE FOUR - BETRAY ME NOT

They are already at the waiting room just before the concert is about to end. They sort of want to surprise their beloved roommate, Lu Han, when he and his other EXO members come in.

“We could’ve waited until the concert ends,” Nana throws a comment, sounding a tad bit thwarted. “I’d love to watch their ending performance.”

“If we came here after the concert finished, it wouldn’t be a surprise anymore,” Victoria says. Lu Han did tell everyone to come to their first-ever concert during the second day via group chat. However, every one of them made excuses that they could not attend due to schedule conflicts.

“I bet Lu Han hyung will be flabbergasted once he sees us,” L.Joe laughs amusedly, already thinking what the older male’s reaction would be.

“I know, right?” Hyunsik chimes in. “He must be so shocked to see us, though we clearly ‘lied’ to him that we couldn’t make it up to the concert.” He is indisputably giddy to attend the concert as he can meet his best friend, D.O, besides meeting Lu Han. Two of them have not met each other for weeks – only calls and text messages, though.

And what all of them expect turns out to be true as Lu Han is really startled once he and his EXO members barge in the waiting room.

“W-what are you guys doing here?” he blurts out inconsistently, breath rattling in astonishment. “I thought all of you couldn’t make it today!”

“You’ve worked hard!” Instead of replying to his inquisitive question, the roommates greet in unison as they bow to the astounded EXO especially Lu Han.

“We did that to surprise you, hyung!” L.Joe bursts out and the rest nod simultaneously.

“Seriously, I hadn’t expected you guys to attend today.” Lu Han still could not believe that his roommates would be standing before his eyes. They clearly told him that they could not make it to the concert. Seeing them coming to watch the concert feels as if his effort to treat the fans for spectacular performances pays off.

“By the way, where are the rest?” He could not find L, Yoona and Eunji in the room along with them. “Are they not coming?”

“L’s performing at music show while Yoona is in Japan for SNSD tour and Eunji’s currently shooting for her new drama,” Victoria notes briefly with a smile. “They are very sorry because they are unable to attend the concert today.”

“It’s okay,” he replies, smiling widely, “though I’d love them to come too.”

“Yoona noona should’ve come to see me!” Sehun’s lips curl out cutely and Lu Han laughs at the younger’s ultra fondness of the SNSD member, Yoona.

The atmosphere in the waiting room indeed turns really uplifting with the presence of the roommates. Although EXO is drenching wet with sweats and stuff, they still treat their guests really well.

“I really enjoyed the concert!” Nana speaks to them casually although it is her first time talking to them (excluding Lu Han).

“Which performance you like the most, Nana-ssi?” The leader, Suho, asks in curiosity, looking intently at the same-aged female idol.

“It must be D.O’s solo performance, right?” Baekhyun butts in, an annoyed look evidently spreads across his face. Since Nana has once stated that she adores D.O out of EXO members, he could not help but be utterly envious.

The mentioned member, who is currently talking to Hyunsik, turns to them in surprise. His already wide eyes becoming wider than ever as his name is suddenly being at the top of everyone’s attention.

“Huh?” D.O grimaces. “Is there any wrong with my solo performance?”

“Nana noona said that she likes your solo performance the most,” Chen enlightens on behalf of Nana. She could not say anything in reply since she is blushing so hard.

“Ah, really?” he chuckles softly. “I’m happy and appreciate then, noona.”

“You don’t, uhm, have to say that actually,” she answers, biting her lower lip in embarrassment. Her face has turned crimson red ultimately.

Lu Han, who is only watching the cute interaction between Nana and D.O, could not help but grin broadly. Despite the fact that the other three could not make it to the concert today, he is still satisfied deep from his heart. It feels like his own family is coming to watch his son’s concert – but hey, they are literally his new family too besides EXO.

Chen winks. “Noona, if you keep paying attention to D.O, someone here will get annoyed.”

“Who?” Nana is confused. “And why would he get annoyed?”

It is Baekhyun’s time to intervene. “Because that person likes you!”

Nana’s frown becomes serious when a part of EXO members have started to laugh among them. She could not guess which person who likes her.

Chen nudges the person who’s standing next to him. It is crystal clear that he does not in the conversation for once. His face has been literally as red as tomato since his eyes land upon Nana’s.

“Kai-ssi?” Nana gapes, has not expected it would be him.

“Y-yes, noona,” Kai stutters, “I like you.”

“Uhm, oh... well, thanks then.” She has no idea why she would be fidgeting as well. “I like you too. During your solo performance, you were so amazing that I could not stop watching you dance.”

“Really?” Kai would have leapt out of delight if he is alone with Nana at the moment. “Thank you, noona!”

“Still, Nana noona thinks D.O’s solo is the best!” Baekhyun’s playful remark causes everyone to crack up in amusement.

Yoona scratches the back of her neck and sighs of despondency do not stop flowing out of .

For today’s breakfast, she has been assigned to prepare it for seven of them. It may seem easy for someone else or for the closest example, Victoria since cooking is her expertise. However, for Yoona, this task is even harder than filming a music video. As everyone knows (or only artists), filming a single music video is very tough; it takes more than two days and she will be downright exhausted to the bones throughout the filming.

She woke up early at 6.30 am in a hope that an hour and half would be enough for her to prepare everything before the roommates rise from the deep slumber.

And now, it has already been 7 am but she could barely ignite the stove – she is clueless to pick out a menu. Truth be told, she would have loved to call her mother for help but she later halted her intention as she is afraid the latter has not woken up yet.

Just as she is busy scrolling a website for simple breakfast in her cell phone, Hyunsik barges in the kitchen.

“Noona,” he calls after her, mildly taken aback as he spots her sitting at the bar table. “What are you doing here early in the morning?”

“You know… I’m in charge of breakfast today.”

“Oh, I see…” He nods and fills up his tumblr with plain water.

“What about you?” Yoona frowns. “Why did you wake up so early?”

He lets out a grin. “Work-out session.” Since he has been practically lazed to work out lately, he needs to get back in shape. Or else, his precious, chocolate abs will go missing in any time.

“I’d love to need your help but since you want to work out, I cannot do anything…” Yoona pouts.

“Sorry, noona… but as you can see, it cannot be helped,” says Hyunsik casually. “Maybe next time,” and without further ado, he flees from the kitchen before Yoona could reply in return.

She lets out yet another sigh and has her hope levelled up as she goes back to searching for the breakfast menu.

“Kimchi fried rice?” she murmurs, eyes locking at the said menu. “Victoria unnie has cooked this one so I shan’t prepare it for today’s breakfast.”

Speaking of the devil, Victoria is the next one to appear at the kitchen. However, before Yoona dares to speak for her help, she instantly goes running back to her room with a glass of milk.

“Why do I feel like everyone’s trying to avoid me today?” She is taken aback by the sudden treatment she gets from both Hyunsik and Victoria. It feels like they are reluctant to lend a hand. As she knows them prior, Hyunsik is a guy who always appears to the needy ones whenever they are in need of help and so is Victoria.

But today – in spite of their cooperative demeanours, they are apparently reluctant to lend her a hand. She does not mind with Hyunsik since he has an alibi to work out but seriously, Victoria? She leaves her dumbstruck just as she is about to speak up.

Needless to say, another sigh is severely heard.

Finally, the preparation has started as she has decided what to make for breakfast.

Omelette rice.

Despite the fact that it seems the food is pretty difficult to pull off, Yoona is determined to give her best. She has searched for the recipe and it appears to be easy than what she has expected previously.

She only needs to cook tomato-flavoured fried rice before wrapping it in the softly-fried omelette.

“This looks pretty easy,” Yoona remarks cheerfully as she wears herself a flowery apron before taking chicken thigh, defrosted mixed vegetables from the fridge and other basic ingredients like a carton of eggs, onion, olive oil, soy sauce and fresh ground black paper from the respective cabinets.

“Good morning, noona,” a light-hearted voice greets from behind causes Yoona to stop rinsing the rice before cooking it in the rice cooker.

“Oh, L.Joe-ah,” she says, a little bit startled. “Good morning too.”

He goes straight to the sink where Yoona is at, only to steal a glance of her doing. “Are you preparing for breakfast, noona?”

“Indeed I am.” Yoona stifles a laugh. “I’m telling you in advance; it may not be as perfect as Victoria unnie’s marvellous cooking so don’t expect too much, okay?”

“Okay then.” L.Joe could not bring himself to not laugh out loud upon her remark.

“By the way, are you free at the moment?” If the younger male is not busy, she would want him to help her frying the eggs or if he is unable to do it, cutting the apples for juice – at the very least – is very much appreciated.

“Why did you ask?” he asks back, paying no heed to her question.

“If you are free, I sort of, uhm, need your help.”

“Ah! I just remember Lu Han hyung wants me to bring him a glass of water!” In all agitation, L.Joe scurries to the cabinet to take out a glass and fills it with water.

“Ah… really? I thought you could help me.” Yoona has her chin down a little bit, sighing as she flicks the ‘start’ button on the rice cooker and proceeds to make omelette.

She does not look back – whether L.Joe is still in the kitchen or has frantically fled to his room. It does not mean anything to her anymore. She would be lying if she is not affected by the sudden withdrawal. Everyone would have felt the same if they were in her shoes.

Being neglected by three persons in a row renders her heart hurt but she opts to be positive and continues working on the breakfast.

“Noona.”

Bowled over, Yoona blinks her eyes incredulously when L.Joe returns to the kitchen and surprisingly already has apples in his hands to be made juice.

“Why are you – nope, I mean, suddenly decide to help me?” she questions, tapping her feet impatiently for an answer. “Weren’t you supposed to bring Lu Han-ssi a glass of water?”

“I’ve done that and,” he trails off and a genuine smile slowly makes its way upon his lips. “come back here cause’ I cannot bear myself seeing you prepare breakfast for us on your own.”

“I seriously hadn’t expected that,” she mutters, still in disbelief. “I am glad that you want to help me, though.”

When everyone has literally shoved her away, who would think there would a person who sincerely wants to lend her a hand?

Yoona could not digest what their expressions look like when they have just taken the first bite of her personally own-made omelette rice.

“Does it taste horrible, everyone…?” Yoona looks at them dubiously.

“Sort of,” Hyunsik is the first to speak up. “Mine’s not properly cooked.”

“Oh my, really?” She would have gagged on her apple juice if she has not brought her act together at once. “I thought I’ve made everyone one of yours properly.”

“It really is not properly cooked, noona.” Yoona is positive although Hyunsik seems to be taking it for granted, his tone sounds somehow harsh. She could not help but feel a little bit upset.

“Mine is okay but I find the taste is…” Nana stops, staring into her roommate’s doe-like eyes before coming up with, “slightly bland.”

Yoona finds herself in a knotty situation. Despite Nana has clearly stated that her omelette rice tastes insipid, she does not stop devouring at once and so does everyone else including Hyunsik. And for the record, her omelette rice just tastes perfectly fine – it is properly cooked and does not taste horrible like they have said.

How weird.

“If Victoria unnie had helped me in the first place, it wouldn’t have been a disaster,” she muttered between gritted teeth.

“I have no idea it would turn out this bad, Yoona,” says the elder leisurely and later sips the drink. “This apple juice tastes just great, by the way!”

“That’s because I made it!” L.Joe bursts out and it aches Yoona’s heart even more to the extent could not accept any bit of breakfast anymore.

“What should we do today?” Hyunsik asks to everyone at the table and unconsciously the topic of horrible breakfast gets dumped at once.

“I think we should just hang out with our own roommate, should not we?” Nana’s idea perks everyone up and they instantly nod in approval.

“Nana noona’s right, but I have schedule today!” L looks at Nana intently.

However, Nana quickly looks away from being under his gaze. “Is there, uhm, any person with scheduled activities today?”

“Me!” Lu Han, L and Eunji’s voices mash together to create a synchronized answer.

“Show Champion all the way!” L lets out a giggle. He and his Infinite members are in the midst of promoting their long-awaited comeback so it would not make sense if he is not busy for this whole month.

“I have recording until 4 pm,” Lu Han notes.

Eunji continues, “And I have filming for my new drama.”

“Then, Hyunsik, L.Joe and I are together and,” Victoria stops, gaze falls upon two beautiful female idols sitting next to each other, “And both of you can hang out with yourselves.”

“Call!” Nana claps her hand in enthusiasm while her roommate remains stiff.

“Where should we go, unnie?” She blinks her eyes, waiting for the older female’s answer.

“Unnie...?” Nana calls after her with a louder tone when she seems to be lost in her own world.

“Oh, uhm-” Yoona cringes after knowing she was spacing out just now. “What did you ask just now?”

“Where should we hang out, unnie?”

“Anywhere is fine but it’d be much fun if we can go out today,” the elder replies. “I want to take a fresh air outside the house.”

“Alright then!” she cries. “Let’s go out and take a view around Seoul today!”

“What kind of drama are you currently filming, Eunji-ah?” Hyunsik asks to his labelmate and everyone’s attention is on her.

Eunji puts a smile upon her lips before she starts enlightening them, “It’s a romance drama about a girl’s journey to become a successful singer in the old-fashioned musical genre trot with the help of a singer-songwriter who detests trot.”

“I heard IU-ssi rejected the lead role before it landed to you. Is it true, Eunji-ah?” Victoria looks curious.

“Yes, it was actually offered to IU sunbae-nim but she rejected the lead role.” She nods and adds, “and I was cast for the role then.”

“Who is the male lead?” L questions.

“Ji Hyunwoo oppa.”

L.Joe almost has his eyes widened in surprise, but he tries to contain his shock. “Oppa?”

“Yes, Hyunwoo oppa,” Eunji states as if L.Joe’s disbelief does not affect her. Throughout the filming, she has come to grow really closer to the male lead. Ji Hyunwoo is such a nice and hardworking actor. Although he has just been released from army, he does not feel awkward to act in the drama after leaving the industry for about two years.

“I hope you’ll do well in your drama and I’ll promise you I will try to watch every episode!” L.Joe remarks encouragingly and even promises her that he would catch every episode when it starts airing in late June.

“Thank you.” Eunji glues her eyes at the same-aged guy in appreciation.

“We should watch it together since we’ve got TV here!” Nana pitches in and everyone simply agrees with her suggestion.

Lu Han has been watching Yoona from afar distance albeit he does chime in the conversation regarding Eunji’s new drama. From his observation, the latter looks a tad bit restless and does not talk too much. He wonders what is wrong with her sudden change.

“Yoona-ssi, are you okay?” he inquires worriedly and becomes more apprehensive when she merely shrugs him off with a simple ‘I’m fine’.

Nevertheless, he is positive that something is definitely not right with her.

To determine who will be doing the dishes, all of them participate in ‘rock, paper, and scissors’ game. As a result, during the last match between Hyunsik and Nana, Hyunsik lost and is stuck with the dishes.

He does wash the dishes for the first five minutes before calling it quits.

“Yoona noona,” he calls after her before she barges out of the kitchen. Apparently, there is no one in the kitchen left besides her. “Can you do the dishes? My stomach suddenly hurts so much that I have to go to the bathroom.”

Yoona gawks in surprise. “But you-”

“Thank you, noona!” he cuts her off and mutters his last words before completely disappears. “No words could describe how thankful I am because you’re willing to do the dishes.”

“I didn’t agree in the first place, though,” Yoona sighs under her heavy breath and pulls her sleeves up before starting the chore. It is ironic when she was the one preparing the breakfast and ended up doing the dishes despite she is downright exhausted at the moment.

“Why are you doing the dishes? Hyunsik lost the game, didn’t he?” Lu Han throws a brisk question as he strides in the kitchen and puts the used glass in the sink.

“Nature’s calling him so he asked me to do it,” she answers, hands still vigorously washing the dishes.

“I’ll help you.” Almost immediately, he heaves the kitchen cloth from the drawer and wipes the dishes that Yoona has done washing before putting them into the respective cabinets.

“It’s okay, actually. I can do it on my own.” She does not want the latter to lend a hand but she could not say anything since he refuses to back off.

“It’s a pity that you prepared the breakfast and still be the one to do the dishes.”

“Ah speaking of the breakfast I made, did the omelette rice taste really bad?”

He is hesitated. “Uhm, it was slightly bland, to be honest.” He later watches the crestfallen look starts to appear on her face and makes him feel even guiltier.

“Still, it was edible,” he adds those words for the sake of soothing her heart.

Yoona laughs insipidly. “Seems like I have to practice more.”

“Do you usually cook?”

She gives him a light shake. “I forgot when the last time I stepped in the kitchen.”

“Wow… that was unexpected,” he chuckles amusedly and so does Yoona.

“Yoona-ssi, I’d love to know why you were spacing out during breakfast.” She had given him an answer but he is positive it was an answer just to escape from the interrogation.

“As I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter