Episode 5

Roommate: Idol Special
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

EPISODE FIVE - FROM ME TO YOU

Out of the blue, Nana lets the grip go when she seems to have spotted something. Standing up, she arches her back and cranes her neck to the entrance of the kitchen, but to no avail.

Flustered of her sudden action, Lu Han quirks an eyebrow and gives her a questioning look. “What’s wrong, Nana-ssi?” he asks distraughtly. “Why are you looking out there?”

She locks her strand of dyed hair behind her ear and shakes her head helplessly as an answer before she slumps back into her seat. “No... I thought someone was around here just now.”

“Who would be here at this time?” He stifles a laugh. “We are the only who haven’t slept. The rest are already in deep sleep.”

“Still, I really think someone was here,” she refutes. “I clearly heard a person’s footsteps tiptoeing from the kitchen.”

“Don’t let your imagination run wild, Nana-ssi,” replies Lu Han with a tinge of assurance. He does not want the younger to think absurdly. “Just finish your beer up and then, we can go to sleep.”

She nods after eventually stirs the thought away from her mind. “Are you already feeling sleepy, oppa?”

“Kind of,” he chuckles. “I haven’t had enough sleep lately so yeah... I feel pretty tired. I think I would instantly fall asleep right away if I lied down on the bed.”

“Hectic schedules must have kept you away from resting.” Nana knows what he is feeling since she is an idol as well. “Just hold on, oppa. Once your comeback promotion ends, you’ll get back your freedom.”

“I don’t think so.” Lu Han gives her a shake. “I still have tons of concerts even after comeback promotion ends. We’ll be flying to a few countries around Asia to perform for our beloved fans.”

She cracks a laugh. “Ah, I forgot you’re in the midst of your very first concert!”

“That’s okay.”

Nana runs her finger through the tip of the beer, eyes switching from the alcoholic drink to the latter back and forth. “You know, oppa... I was wondering why you keep calling me ‘Nana-ssi’. I thought we’ve already gotten close so far...”

The elder has his face warm in an instant. “I’m sorry. I think I have used to calling you ‘Nana-ssi’ so it’s sort of stuck until now.”

“You should call me ‘Nana’ or ‘Nana-yah’ from now on,” she urges. “It feels really formal!”

“I’ll try to, Nana-ssi.”

“Look, you’re still calling me ‘Nana-ssi!” she scowls.

“Sorry!” Lu Han recoils. “Uhm, N-nana.”

“Why do I think it sounds really awkward?” she guffaws, “still, it’s better than ‘Nana-ssi’!”

He touches the back of his hair, as a sign of him being really bashful at the moment.

“By the way, oppa.” Nana gulps her saliva down anxiously. “About what I have told you... uhm, about L and stuff, I hope you won’t tell it to others.”

“Understood. I won’t tell others about it.”

“Promise?” Nana extends her pinky finger to his direction as she shows him a pleading look, urging the latter to make her a pinky promise.

Lu Han could not help but chortle at the childishness shown by the younger female. Still, he reaches hers and their pinky fingers entwine firmly for a single promise.

After having a glorious breakfast, everyone goes back to their respective room to wash up. And when they have done, all of them encircled each other in the living room, watching TV programmes and chatting to one another heartily (except L since he still has not woken up).

“Oh my, has everyone checked out the breaking news?!” Nana’s voice ensues, making everyone’s eyes draw to her curiously.

“What’s up with the breaking news, Nana-yah?” Victoria takes her cell phone and so do the rest of them for the same reason. “Is it news about idols dating each other, huh?”

“For God’s sake, yes!” she literally shrieks. “EXO’s Baekhyun is reported to be dating SNSD’s Taeyeon!”

“What?!”

And thus, everyone’s eyes fix at the two members of the mentioned groups.

“Errr... why are you looking at me?” Lu Han’s voice shrinks, butterflies has begun to hit his stomach.

“You do know about this, don’t you, hyung?” Hyunsik asks on their behalf – basically all of them have the same question to ask.

“And Yoona unnie,” adds Eunji significantly.

“It’d be a lie if they don’t,” Victoria snaps.

“Right, unnie. I bet they all know about two of them dating,” Nana remarks assertively and soon her eyes fall upon Yoona’s. “Am I right, unnie?”

“Well...” Yoona rolls her eyes, wavering. “I can just say what you’ve seen in the news is all true. And just so you know, there are no secrets between SNSD.”

“Still, it still hasn’t been confirmed by SM,” L.Joe mentions.

“L.Joe-ah, these photos are just so enough to confirm.” Hyunsik scrolls through the bunch of photos that were deemed alleged by the netizens. "They even kissed in this picture!”

“I haven’t imagined Baekhyun-ssi would be like this.” Nana gapes, referring to the cheek-kissing photo. “He wasn’t like this when he and the others came to our house. And to make it worst, he said that he liked me, though he clearly likes Taeyeon sunbae-nim more!”

“To be honest, I already sort of knew that he’s dating someone.” Eunji cracks a tiny yet meaningful smile to them. The recent conversation with Baekhyun immediately shoots back to her head.

“Uhm, I’m going to wash my hand!” Baekhyun says to them in a sing-song voice right after Eunji walks towards the kitchen.

“Hey.”

Eunji looks kind of startled upon his sudden presence. She slides the cabinet close and stares at him incredulously.

“What are you doing here, Baekhyun-ssi?”

“Washing my hands,” and airily, he steps to the sink for the said purpose.

She is about to creak the cabinet open again before he intervenes. “By the way, Eunji-ssi...”

She blinks her eyes. “Hmm?”

“I know why you were acting coldly to L.Joe-ssi just now,” causing her wide-eyed. “You like him, don’t you?”

Eunji manages a chortle to curb her mixed emotions. “What are you talking about? I was acting cold to him? Why would I?”

“Because you like him.”

And his words seep into her head, causing a rush of adrenaline flows through her veins. A bright shade of pink begins to creep upon her cheeks. “I-I don’t l-like him, you know.”

“Then why you have to stutter?” Baekhyun grins. “Tell you what, I can instantly define whether this guy or that girl is in love based on their expression.”

“And yours is just so evident,” he adds in utmost significance.

“You’re wrong and I’m not going to believe in your so-called thoughts,” Eunji stammers again, albeit she tries to not be in agitation.

“Well, it’s up to you. I’m simply stating the fact.”

“Why would you know this kind of stuff, Baekhyun-ssi?” she asks. “Are you, by any chance, dating someone?”

Baekhyun winks at her in sheer secrecy and soon, a quite boisterous laugh is heard. “You can say whatever you want.”

“What are you doing?”

The voice interrupts their conversation and they turn around at the person. It is L.Joe standing at the entrance of the kitchen.

“Oh, I was talking to Eunji-ssi,” Baekhyun notes with a big grin and closes the faucet at once before he heads back to the living room.

He did give her yet another wink to her just before he disappears – a ‘break a leg!’ one.

“Ah, so you were talking about that thing with him?” L.Joe could not curb his smile to spread widely across his face after he has heard her story. Initially, he guessed that they were sort of being so lovely that they talked and joked so comfortably well with each other. It makes him sigh in relief and as a matter of fact, he could not help but smile when the dating news of Baekhyun and Taeyeon exploded. He has no idea why he is feeling like this, but he really feels delighted deep within.

Eunji nods casually. “Yes, we were just talking about that thing.” She did not include the talk about Baekhyun saying that she likes L.Joe as it would only bring confusion to them and make them think that she indeed has feelings for the Teen Top member.

“By the way, why did you seem so happy?”

He looks at her and keeps smiling. “Why? Cannot I smile for a person’s happiness, can I? Baekhyun hyung must be happy that he is dating his ideal type.”

“Still, the reception from these comments is not too positive. They do not like the fact that they are dating. I bet these netizens are from EXO fans,” says Nana, observing the comments intently. “Am I right, oppa?”

Lu Han is flustered. “Well... I guess you’re right.”

“EXO fans are scary,” Yoona voices out candidly, “I think I’d be killed at once if I were actually dating a member from EXO. If the news doesn’t go public, I’m fine with it.”

“Killed by whom, unnie?” Nana frowns in bewilderment.

“Of course by the EXO fans!” Victoria emits a chuckle. “And can you imagine, SNSD’s dorm will be conquered by them if Yoona is really dating one of them.”

“Who would you like that EXO member to be, unnie?” Eunji inquires and it causes Yoona to be thrown off guard.

“None,” she laughs after getting her act together. “None of them fits my ideal type.”

“Unnie! How can you say that in front of Lu Han oppa!” Nana whacks Yoona’s back playfully. “He is an EXO member as well!”

“Sorry,” she says apologetically as she glances up at Lu Han. “I just forgot the fact you were here too.”

“Nevermind.” The Chinese member opens his mouth after being in sheer silence for a while. “I don’t really mind about this stuff.”

“Sorry again,” Yoona reiterates. “However, I like you. As a roommate and as friend.”

Before Lu Han could even reply, Victoria changes the situation to another topic. “Alright, alright. Stop the dating news of Baekhyun-Taeyeon at once. It’s getting draggy now.”

L just barges in the living room, still wearing his pyjama and eyes half-closed. “Good morning...”

“Hey, buddy!” Hyunsik greets. “Why did you just wake up now? It’s still early in the morning and you can continue sleeping.”

L only chuckles at his roommate’s sarcasm and rubs his droopy eyes. “Sorry, everyone. I’m sorry that I just got up at, uhm, 10.”

“It’s 11 now,” L.Joe laughs abruptly and so do the rest.

“What did you do last night, L? You even missed breakfast!” Victoria throws him a curious question. “I think you’ve gone to sleep pretty earlier last night.”

“He was already sleeping by the time I went in the room,” Hyunsik adds in details.

“Uhm, I... I don’t know.” He bites his lower lip in uncertainty. “I think I hadn’t had enough sleep these days and when I got to sleep properly, I literally took it too far.”

“What do you think of buying lunch?” Yoona suddenly moves to another topic.

“I think it’s a good idea,” Victoria agrees at once. “We always eat home-made food, right?”

“Street snack!” Hyunsik and Eunji exclaim in unison.

“Call!” Yoona’s eyes shine radiantly at the thought of street snacks. Being the unofficial goddess of food could not make her stop drooling at the mention of the word, ‘food’. “I want to eat ddeokbokki so badly!”

Eunji claps her hand enthusiastically. “Rice rolls!”

And the rest also point out what kind of street snacks they want to devour.

“But the thing is... who is going to buy lunch?” Victoria peers over each other’s faces back and forth.

“I’d love to but I can’t since I have a drama filming at 11.30,” L.Joe reminds them. He will be having a cameo role for an upcoming episode of TVn’s drama, ‘Grandpa over Flowers’.

“I’m going then!” Nana offers herself. “But since I’m super at driving, I need someone to accompany me.”

“Why don’t Myungsoo go with Nana?” Yoona says.

“What?” Nana’s face darkens in an instant. “I’m not going then!”

“Why wouldn’t you?” A confused look crosses her face. “Myungsoo can drive so both of you can go together.”

“Can you accompany Nana, L?” Victoria asks.

“Why not?” The visual of Infinite does not take too much time to say yes.

Nana sighs aggravatingly. “Oppa, let’s go together!” She gives Lu Han a begging look but the elder male seems to pay no heed.

“I suppose, uhm, going with L is a good idea, Nana,” Lu Han remarks decisively and everyone later agrees with his answer.

With another sigh, Nana stares at Lu Han whom she deems can help her get out of the picture. However, it is such a futile attempt. Lu Han did not help her in the end. He even rolls his eyes away from being under her stare.

This is going to be a tough day – or so she thinks.

The ambience in the car is so utterly intense; only the sound of radio spinning K-pop songs from the latest groups is heard. Neither L nor Nana bothers to initiate a conversation. At the very least, it would have lightened up the tension.

L grips the steering in mixed emotions as he steals a fleeting glance at the indifferent older female. She would rather focus on staring so intently at her cell phone than speak a word to him.

To say he is not irritated, it would be an understatement. He is beyond infuriated and quizzical at the same time. It is not like he never notices how ignorant the latter would be whenever he tries to communicate with her or the subject about him being under everyone’s utmost attention for these past few days. It feels as though she is trying to avoid him at all costs.

He would have loved to ask her why she is acting this way towards him, but his pride holds him back. As a matter of fact, he could not help but be burning with anger deep inside when she acts and talks really well with the other male idols.

He just cannot understand what is going on with her.

“I wonder if I really was an eyesore to her,” he murmurs under his breath and soon, a heavy sigh is inaudibly released. In retrospect, there has been never idols (female especially) to act so hostile towards him just like Nana does towards him.

“Are you talking to me?”

L snaps back into reality as her voice hits his eardrums. Startled, he cranes his neck to her, only to find her raising an eyebrow at him. Her cell phone, which was her perfect companion through the journey prior, is nowhere to be found.

“Uhm, I... I was talking to myself,” he enlightens her edgily. “Sorry if it bothered you.”

“It’s okay. I don’t mind.” Nana remains stiff, the indifference in her tone does not falter.

“By the way, where are we going to buy lunch?” she asks.

“I have a place in mind where every delicious street snacks is sold,” he chirps, “My friends told me that place is really no joke. The food offers there are the best out of other places.”

“Oh,” she blurts out. “Whatever floats your boat, L. I’m fine with any kind of places.”

Interview

Production team: Don’t you think you were being a little bit too harsh on L-ssi?

Nana: I don’t think so. I think it’s better for me to act hostile towards him. It feels much comfortable in this way. People may think that I am being a but seriously, I don’t think I should mind them cursing me.

Production Team: Can you elaborate more so the viewers would not look at you in such an uncomfortable way?

Nana: *takes a deep breath* As I have said before, if the person I have an eye does not like me back, I am the type of give up right away. So, it’s better for me to act hostile towards L than hoping he would at least look at me like he looks at Yoona unnie. I know the viewers or anyone else may have the thoughts that me liking him is like a part of the show, or to make it simpler, scripted. How can feelings be scripted? Feelings are real and cannot be played like games. Before this, I did consider that saying I like him is like a joke, but deep inside, I do really like him. As a roommate, a younger brother and... a man. However, he cannot reciprocate my feelings I have for him, although I haven’t asked him yet. He likes Yoona unnie... so it’s better for me to give up at once.

“Well... okay then.” He could not care less now, as if he has accustomed to her grave indifference. “But before that, let’s go grab some coffee.”

Nana instantly has her eyebrow furrowed at his unexpected remark. “Why would we? We just had drinks at home earlier, haven’t we?”

He chuckles airily, apparently shrugging her curiosity off. “It’s still early, isn’t it? At what time did Victoria noona say we should go back?

“3 pm.”

“So we have like, three more hours,” L says matter-of-factly. The clock strikes at 1 as for the current time.

Nana crosses her arm over her chest, could not agree more and simply surrenders the lingering debate between both of them.

“My driving a lot, right?” he lets out a playful chuckle at his own words.

“I know. Yoona unnie told me about your driving,” Nana deadpans. “That being said, I solely think you’re better than me.”

“Yoona noona talked about me? Seriously?” Happiness washes over the past anxiety upon his face. He stretches out an ecstatic smile at the corner of his lips.

Instead of a reply, Nana opts to look out of the tinted window. Amidst the happiness he is currently having, she mentally slaps herself. Yoona’s name should have not been mentioned in the first place.

The extremely giddy look that sweeps across his face is too evident for her to overlook.

Nana’s fingers slither across her chest as she screws her eyes shut for a mere second. It feels as though her heart is being squeezed by a vice – like a weight upon her chest, refusing to accept precious oxygen.

It feels hurt.

“You shouldn’t have followed me, Hyunsik-ah. I’m fine going here alone,” Victoria says apologetically as they trudge in the bookstore. To spare the time waiting for L and Nana to buy lunch for them, Victoria decides to go look for some books at the bookstore. Much to her surprise, Hyunsik wants to come along with her.

“I guess you’re thinking the reason I came along with her because I am afraid if anything happens to you, right?” Hyunsik conjures up a joke and has not expected it would make the older female blush so furiously.

She chokes on her spit. “So... uhm, why are you coming along with me?”

“I’m bored doing nothing at home, noona,” he tells her.

“Why would you be bored?” Victoria pulls up a frown in bewilderment. “It’s not like Lu Han, Yoona and Eunji were not at home.”

“I simply have no idea.” He shakes his head. “I guess going anywhere with you feels so much better.”

Victoria flushes again at his remark. In the meantime, she could not help but feel proud. “Really...?”

“Yes, noona. I’m telling you the truth.”

With the certainty in his words, the smile upon Victoria’s lips does not waver. Instead, it blooms even wider than before.

Interview

Production team: Are you really comfortable with Victoria-ssi?

Hyunsik: Yes. *nods* Out of the female roommates, I think I’m attached to her the most. *smiles*

“Out of all these, which area of books is your favourite?” Hyunsik glances up at her as he concisely scrutinizes the bookstore.

Victoria chortles. “You think?”

“Cooking?” he says uncertainly, staring into her orbs questioningly.

“Oh my,” she blurts out, jaw dropping. “How did you know?”

“Well... since you like cooking so much, so I just like, kind of guessed.” He lets out a laugh. “Wasn’t expecting it to be true, though.”

“What about you?” she questions him back. “Which area you like the most?”

“I don’t do books, noona,” and it is more than enough to make the older female laugh heartily.

Soon later, they saunter through the bookstore before they made their way to the cooking area.

“Noona, let’s buy this recipe book.” Hyunsik grabs a particular recipe book from the rack and flips the book open at a random page. “And whenever I randomly flip a page randomly, you have to make it.”

“Call! Let’s buy this recipe book,” agrees Victoria, simply fitting into the role.

“By the way...” Hyunsik stops Victoria before she is about to leave the cooking area. “I am curious about something.”

The leader of f(x) raises an eyebrow. “What kind of things are you curious about?”

“Uhm...” He blinks his eyes momentarily and scratches the back of his neck as he sends her a doubtful look. “I don’t think you’ll be happy to hear it...”

“It is indeed great to not have drama filming today!” Eunji bellows, spreading her arms wide on the couch with evident excitement across her face.

Lu Han and Yoona simply laughs heartily at the easy-going younger. When she told them that today is her off-day, the lively upon her lips does not waver even for slight. As an idol who is also an actress, Yoona understands what she is feeling. Filming a drama or movie requires a lot of efforts. Filming until five or six o’clock in the morning is a normal thing. And for the record, it is not like she or any other actors and actresses can succeed a single scene in a take. They wo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter