The Part-timer

Literally

  No matter how bored and unhappy Kim Jongdae was, technically he was exactly where he had hoped to be. He had fulfilled his dreams.

  After graduating with mediocre grades at a mediocre college he pulled as many strings as he could to land himself a medicore job at a mediocre company. And so he lived a mediocre life like the millions of other office workers in the country of Korea.

  It was a several months into that mediocre lifestyle that he started to develop a taste for 'odd'.

 

  It gave him some variety. A tiny thrill that lasted three short seconds as he deviated from his norm.

  He liked his French fries with ice cream.  He liked his steak blue rare. He liked his Ramen noodles cold and swollen. He liked steaming coffee when the weather was 40° C and iced Americanos when it was chilly or raining.

  And so took place his everyday routine.

 

  Waking up, getting washed, getting dressed, leaving the house in a hurry, rushing to work, barely making it on time. Admist his patterned routine he did his usual 'deviation'. After lunch he constantly dropped by the cafe across the street from the company building. He consitently ordered a black medium coffee on days that the sun beat down on his white collar shirt. He invariably ordered an iced Americano, extra ice, when rain streamed off the edges of his black umbrella.

 

  Today the sun was out and shining.

  Jongdae furrowed his eyebrows in annoyance as he waited his turn in the line at the café. Eyes turned to the clear blue sky dotted with a decent amount of clouds, he sighed drearily at how perfect the weather looked. Perfection always made him sad.

  Sighing heavily a final time he mumbled his familiar order of a steaming hot black coffee to the cashier and mussed his hair as he pulled out his wallet. He rummaged for his cash and handed it to the cashier when he heard distinct pattering from the ceiling high glass windows of the shop. Slowly growing over the sound of the cashier announcing what Jongdae's change was.

  It was raining.

  Jongdae's eyebrows set into a deeper crease as he stared incredulously at the sudden rain that was running down the glass panes. It was raining. And he had just ordered a hot coffee. This day looked to be heading for the worst.

 

 

"....Would you like me to change it for you?"

  The office workers looked up at the question, eyes meeting with the cashiers own wide inquiring ones.

  How had he never met eyes with him before.

"Would you like me to change that to an iced Americano?"

  The cashier's voice lilted as his lips twitched the slightest bit upwards, probably laughing at the awe on Jongdae's face. 

  As he dropped his gaze to scan over the name tag reading 'Do Kyungsoo', Jongdae couldn't help but smile back as he nodded.

 

Maybe the day wouldn't be too horrible after all.