005

Love Is But A Game (Hiatus)

“Baek! Oh my god you will not believe what I found out.” I got a little too excited and jumped onto Baekhyun.

“What?” He snapped, annoyed that I accidentally caused some of his coffee to spill.

“Kyungsoo… is not actually gay.”

“He’s not? How did you know?” His eyes rounded when he heard the news.

“He had a girlfriend!” I announced.

“He did?”

“Yes! And he got dumped recently too.” I raised my chin, proud at the new information I acquired.

“No wonder you were hired for the job!” He slapped his forehead.

“Why?”

“It must be because the guy… what’s his name?” He snapped his fingers, as if it would help him remember.

“Jongin.”

“Yes, Jongin, he was unhappy that he couldn't be together with Kyungsoo, because Kyungsoo doesn't swing that way, so he hired you to break his heart!”

“But why break a man’s heart when it is already broken by his ex-girlfriend?”

“Maybe that Jongin guy is a sadist?”

“Probably. Wait, that means my job is so much easier now! Woohoo!” I threw my arms up in the air.

“Well, your job is still far from done so don’t you dare slack.” He wagged a finger at me.

“Hey relax, I already got him to bring me as a date for his class meeting, we’re proceeding as planned.” I slouched back on the couch.

“Hm class meeting… where is it?”

“I don’t know yet.” I shrugged my shoulders.

“Wherever that is, be careful okay?”

“Okay dad.”

🎯

I was queuing for lunch later that day when someone I didn't want to meet appeared right in front of my eyes.

"Hi Hyomi. Or should I say, Jihyun?"

I snapped my head towards the owner of the voice. Well, if it wasn't my previous target, Oh Sehun.

"Hey Sehun, fancy meeting you here."

"Don't you just miss the days when we always went to my favourite bubble tea shop to get ourselves drinks?"

I shot him a glare, but he continued.

"It's lucky I found out about your dirty little secret, or I'll still be wondering why you dumped me till this day." He stepped towards me, and got a little too close for comfort.

"What do you want?" Using my wallet, I pushed him away, creating a more comfortable distance between us.

"I want you to fall, like I did. Only worse." He lifted my chin with his finger, but I slapped it away.

"Like you can do anything to me."

"Let's just see who has the last laugh." He snickered before sauntering off.

🎯

"Oh my god Baek, he really has nothing better to do. I seriously want to strangle that son-of-a-"

“Hi Jihyun.” The visitor waved.

“What is she doing here?” I demanded as I threw the two packets of food on the dinner table.

Seriously first Sehun, now her? What the hell was Baekhyun thinking?

“She’s just visiting, and will leave soon, isn’t that right?” He shot a glance at Hyemin.

“Yes oppa.” She said in a tone too sweet for my liking. Could I just claw her face? “Goodbye Jihyun.” She sent a smile, but I knew it was fake. “No need to send me out.”

“We don't intend to anyway. Now leave.” I gritted my teeth.

“Fine by me.” She walked out the door, but before leaving, she turned back, “You haven’t changed a bit, Jihyun.”

“Why was she here?” I interrogated once I was sure that she was gone.

“Like I said, she was visiting.”

“Come on Baek, I know she’s not simple, and she definitely wanted something.” I crossed my arms and tapped my feet impatiently.

“She just wanted to say hi and find out how we’re doing.”

“You’re hiding something.” My eyes narrowed.

“Well, maybe you’re just being paranoid!” He snapped, with annoyance laced in his voice.

I was taken aback. He rarely lost his temper with me, but now he was angry because I was asking too much about her sudden visit?

“What’s wrong with you?”

“Look, I’m sorry for losing it, I-”

“You know what? Fine. Go look for her instead.” I sprinted out the door.

“Jihyun!” He followed not too far behind. “Wait!”

I stepped into the elevator and clicked on the ‘close’ button repeatedly. The door shut before Baekhyun could reach me.

You might think that this was the part I was going to cry, but no. I don’t cry easily or unless I had to, and Baekhyun’s not going to be one of the reasons I cry, not when our argument was caused by Hyemin.

Furious, I ran full speed away from my home block to the nearest park. The nature there always seemed to have a calming effect on me.

I found a spot close to the river and plopped myself down. Reaching into my pocket, I fished for my phone, but it was not there.

“Damn it!” Great, I left it back at the house along with my wallet. Nice going there, Jihyun.

I couldn't go back now, I’m not going to forgive Baekhyun that easily.

“Stupid Bacon!” I tore away at the grass around me as I kicked the air like a spoilt brat.

“What hate do you have against bacon?” A familiar voice asked. My eyes wandered up to see Kyungsoo taking a seat beside me.

“The Bacon I know and the bacon you know is different.”

“Oh really? Enlighten me.” His eyes twinkled. Did I just notice that?

“I have this friend nicknamed Bacon and he just pissed me off.” I started, then looked at him for a reaction.

“Why is he nicknamed Bacon?”

“Long story.” That was a complete lie. Of course he was nicknamed Bacon because of his original name, Baekhyun. However, I couldn't risk revealing Baekhyun’s real name, thus the lie. Why was he more interested in knowing the origin behind the nickname instead of what he did to piss me off anyway?

“I love bacon though.” He mentioned, cutting off my train of thought.

“Everyone loves bacon. It’s just that the Bacon I know can get pretty irritating sometimes.”

“Well, everybody has that one friend…” He joked, causing the both of us to laugh. “Oh yeah, since you’re here, the class meeting I talked about is on this Saturday.”

“Isn’t it just the day after tomorrow?” I tilted my head.

“Yes, it is. It starts at 7pm, so is it okay if I pick you up at 6?”

“Fine with me.”

“Okay, 6pm it is!” He chirped. “You know, you should forgive that friend of yours. Life is too short to hold grudges.”

“Getting all philosophical on me now?”

“Nah, I’m not a ‘literature’ person.”

“You seem the type though.” I commented.

“Trust me, I’m not.”

“I should be going back, since you mentioned that life is too short to hold grudges.”

“Do you need me to send you back?”

No, you don't have to know where I live.

“Nah, it’s okay, I can make it home alone.”

“If that’s the case, goodbye then!”

“Haha bye!”

🎯

“Baek? Are you home?” I called out, but no reply came back. To be honest, I felt fairly guilty for causing him to go around looking for me when I was already back in the house.

I looked at the table; the packets of food were still there, right at the position where I left them. My wallet rested beside the packets, but my phone was nowhere to be found.

“He must’ve taken it out.” I mumbled to myself as I strutted to my bedroom. As I lay on my back, memories of high school flooded my mind. I shook my head violently, as if it would stop them from coming back. “Aish!”

 I tied my hair up in a messy ponytail and headed to the kitchen. If cooking could make me forget about my horrible experiences then so be it, I shall make dinner.

It didn't take long for me to whip up two simple dishes and a fair amount of rice. No, I’m not the kind who is dependent on instant cup noodles. I genuinely know how to cook.

Sparing a glance at the front door, I tucked in without waiting for Baekhyun (not that he knew I was back anyway). While I stuffed my face with food, thoughts of Baekhyun invaded my head. What if he continues to search till the morning? What if he files a police report? What if something happens to him while he was searching for me?

I shuddered at the last thought, before I went to retrieve my spare phone in my room.

To: Baekhyun
I made dinner, come back now.

A reply came in just seconds after I sent the message.

To: Jihyun
You’re not mad anymore?

I flung my phone to the other couch we had, not bothering to give him an answer. Feeling my eyelids droop, I drifted off to slumber land shortly.

 

[Baekhyun’s POV]

I burst through the front door, expecting Jihyun to start a lecture on the reasons why we should not affiliate with Hyemin- after all these years, she still could not forget- but instead I found her peacefully asleep on the couch. Okay, not exactly peacefully, since she looked uncomfortable resting on the small furniture. Making the least noise I could, I shut the door and kneeled in front of her sleeping self.

“You’re so wilful sometimes,” I brushed the stray hair away from her face, “but I still love you.”

Bringing myself closer, I planted a kiss on her forehead before carrying her to her bedroom.

 

Ooh what does Baekhyun mean by that? And what really happened between Hyemin and Baekji? Something dark? Perhaps hurtful?

Haha did anyone notice that I uploaded a story image? My art isn't very good so you guise are stuck with this!

This chapter’s a little longer than the rest, don't you think? Sorry if it’s crappy, I couldn't continue because of writer’s block.

P.S. I’m sorry for changing POVs so often, it was necessary in order to convey the different feelings of the characters…

(This story is getting a little messy.)