Prologue

Love Is But A Game (Hiatus)

"Hyora baby, just tell me whatever you want, I'll give it to you."

I felt disgusted with him calling me 'baby', but that's just how it worked. Persevere and you will get what you want.

"Really, whatever I want?" My voice squeaked higher than its normal frequency, one that I hate but it so happened to be one that middle-aged men loved. Another thing: I really hate acting cute.

"Yes of course, anything you want."

"Can I have my own apartment then?" I blinked my eyes to look as innocent as possible.

"Done." I giggled as he laughed loudly. His hands slipped lower than they should, and I hurriedly made up a reason to excuse myself.

C'mon, almost there. I thought to myself as I made my way to the restroom.

"Baby, I'm afraid I can't provide an apartment for you. How about some money?"

"That works too." I flashed one of my fake smiles, but men always seemed to buy it.

"How much do you want?"

"I don't know, how much are you willing to give?"

"Let's say, 5 million won? What's your bank account, baby?"

I gave him a temporary account to him, to which he passed to his pretty little assistant. I bet when I'm not around, he's busy flirting with her.

"I don't think I feel so well, I think I'll head home now."

"Okay, go along. I don't want you falling sick."

"Thank you!"

I made my way out of the suite, and the building.

"Baekhyun, has the money arrived?"

"Yeah. Pfft, rich men, stuffing their money wherever they want, whenever they want."

"And they're gullible too."

"Good job, Jihyun."

Oh you thought my name was Hyora? That was just one of my names I take on to cheat men of their feelings or properties.

My real name is Cho Jihyun. And no, I don't just cheat men for fun, I was hired to do so. At a hefty price at that.

How do you hire me? First, prepare a sum of money to pay for my services. Second, target must be a male who had cheated on the hirer, which means that my actions are based on purely revenge and nothing else. Third, we'll talk when you manage to contact me.

I never had a normal childhood; I spent it all in the orphanage. No, my parents didn’t die of some accident, I guess they just decided to abandon me one day. Of course I was sad to learn that even my parents didn't want me anymore, but I learnt to accept the fact and move on. At least I know they’re living in some part of the world happily, without me.

Baekhyun here had a different story, his parents couldn't afford his cost of living and since he looked weak when he was young, his parents tried to fake an accident and kill him off. Luckily, his relative visited and was there just in time to stop them. He was later sent to the same orphanage as me to prevent such situations from happening again. His parents never had the intention of bringing him back. I guess I’m much better off when compared to him.

Okay, enough about the sad stuff.

I still remember when we met in the orphanage, he was this cheerful little boy who was positive in everything he did and I was this depressed little who avoided human contact as much as possible. It was almost as if he was the one who was happily dropped off and I was the one whom my parents tried to kill.

I sat in a corner every day, minding my own business. One day he was snooping around and saw me there. We struck up a conversation and he never stopped talking to me since. There, we became friends, then best friends, until eventually, we became business partners. Well, not the usual kind of business but you get my point.

We got into the trade as soon as we stepped out of the orphanage, and had been doing it ever since. I would be out on missions and he became my manager. It is a win-win situation, I suppose.