(22) Naught But Love

Love Stories and Maybe a Turtle

(22) Naught But Love – 1,637

Donghae doesn’t quite remember when he began to observe people. He only looked forward and never back or even sideways. He noticed people when they’ve practically jumped in front of him. It was only when they would demand his attention does he actually acknowledge them. He wasn’t trying to be mean, really. It felt like there was always something to look forward to, so he doesn’t bother trying to look anywhere else.

Then again, it was mostly during their concerts when Donghae could never believe his eyes. All of them trained together for years before they got to the group, dancing the same routines and singing the same songs but it would always be different when they would perform on stage.

He knew Jongwoon was an excellent singer. So much so that even when he retires as an idol, there would still be a job for him as a solo artist. The tight feeling in his chest doesn’t subside as he watched Jongwoon performing on stage, his eyes lingering in awe with every reach of the arm and the hiss of his breath.

As soon as Jongwoon belted, time felt like it stopped. If they weren’t professionals, Donghae was quite sure that he would still have a career. When he sang with Ryeowook during their first year, they had a great melodious sound that would shame a nightingale. None of them had ill feelings against the two of them since that was the nature of being in the industry. They all had roles to fill and their roles were to be the main vocalists, the ones who had the best voices and who would get the most lines. Every one of them understood that this was how it was going to go. It just became all the more difficult since there were twelve members.

The year the agency announced that they would add another main vocal felt like the world had ended. They weren’t as happily received as they would have thought either. But they pursued, performing and showing up to be guests at talk shows, game shows and nonsensical shows. Kyuhyun himself wasn’t a bad person at the beginning. He was tall, gawky, shy and awkward. It would have been one thing to be added to an already debuted group if you’re the eldest or somewhere in the middle of the age group. It was a whole other thing to be added as the youngest. He was more susceptible to mental and emotional abuse since he was the youngest and he was the one person who didn’t train with them all the way until debut.

So Donghae was sort of relieved when he got along well with Ryeowook and when he roomed first with Jongwoon. They got along civilly and Donghae thought that it was all Kyuhyun could ask for at the time.

The accident changed everything.

It was nothing short of a miracle. All the members rushing to their sides, already there when Kyuhyun’s family arrived. They all cried silently and prayed from the bottom of their hearts that Kyuhyun would pull through. One by one, they would visit him every day and talk to him as they were encouraged to do so through the coma. But each time he didn’t move or make a sound was like a boulder sinking to the bottom of the ocean.

Now that he thought about it, Donghae remembered that this might have been the time when Jongwoon began taking care of Kyuhyun. Everyone knew he was a doting hyung, versus Jungsoo being a responsible hyung, Heechul being a mischievous hyung, and Hankyung being the kind hyung. Though it looked like he treated all of his dongsaengs the same, it was particularly obvious when they were in the dorms.

Donghae was also thankful that Kyuhyun didn’t take advantage of Jongwoon like that. There were times when Kyuhyun would tease Jongwoon endlessly that there was only the thinnest thread before he crosses the line but he seemed to know his limits and retreated just in time for some breathing space.

Jongwoon was quite the worry-wart. He would inquire first about Kyuhyun, afterwards would he only then ask about the rest of the members. Donghae thought that it was because he felt responsible somewhat, being the first roommate Kyuhyun had and he gave him the cold shoulder. He isn’t bothered by it; it was just something he noticed.

Slowly, though, he began noticing other things.

Kyuhyun would glare from afar when either he, Siwon or Ryeowook would cling onto Jongwoon. At first, Donghae didn’t seem bothered by it but Kyuhyun would sulk afterwards. Jongwoon would ask him what happened, but he could only shrug because he didn’t know it either.

“Seriously, it’s not my fault he’s jealous!” Hyukjae whiningly told him when they were eating out, just the two of them for some planning for their upcoming comeback. Donghae blinked repeatedly, letting the kimchi he got with his chopsticks fall back onto the plate. He gaped, searching for his voice.

“What,” he croaked.

Hyukjae looked at him with irritated eyes. “Kyuhyun’s jealous because you lot keep hanging off of Jongwoon-hyung’s shoulders.”

Donghae closed his mouth and thought of the times he clung onto Jongwoon. There were many moments to remember, including the times Jongwoon patted his head or ruffled his hair like a proud father would do to his son. There was always a heat at the back of his head he couldn’t explain, and his instincts telling him to run away. He just didn’t imagine that it would be because of Kyuhyun!

Just after that did he realize that it was blaringly obvious. When Jongwoon wasn’t around, Kyuhyun would search for him all over the place. Randomly appearing in Mouse Rabbit, always on the phone, sometimes popping in Y Style. But when Jongwoon was somewhere Kyuhyun wasn’t allowed to go to because of scheduling reasons, he would sulk. Horribly. It affected team morale at one time that Jungsoo begged the manager to fix Kyuhyun’s schedule to match Jongwoon’s.

(It lasted a month or two until Jongwoon told Kyuhyun that it was stressing everyone out and that he’d promise to at least ride in the same van as him every time.)

Donghae doesn’t know when it all began to unravel, but he was sure it was when Jongwoon was nearing his military service. Kyuhyun wouldn’t let go of Jongwoon, no matter where they were. Sometimes, Jongwoon would pat his head or coax his arm off around his body but that wouldn’t last more than a minute. Kyuhyun would find a way to be back next to Jongwoon.

Super Junior M promotions were particularly very stressful. Donghae was sure that Sungmin had the patience of a saint when it came to these times because Kyuhyun was very wilful. They made sure that they did their performances and promotions and recordings right the first time around because being with a Kyuhyun without a Jongwoon was going to make them crazy.

The moment they return to Korea, Kyuhyun would rush off to God-knows-where Jongwoon was. Donghae was sure Sungmin had the foresight to ask for the manager to ask where he was before they landed. Sungmin would make a good father someday, Donghae thought.

It became more difficult when Jongwoon was already doing his service. While it was easier than being in the front lines, their meetings were still significantly less than the earlier years. Donghae couldn’t help but feel a bit sorry for Kyuhyun just a bit. He had to commend him for being more mature now since he didn’t throw tantrums behind the cameras. Jongwoon must have talked to him beforehand.

Luckily, time passed by quickly since their schedules were practically jam-packed. In the midst of comebacks, concerts and talk shows, the days became years and soon, Jongwoon was back from his service.

He arrived back as quietly as he left. There weren’t much media, but there were greetings from his fans. After a bit of some debriefing with the president, Jongwoon went back to the dorms for a visit. Everyone didn’t want to let him go.

“Party! We’ll have a party!” Jungsoo announced because it’s been a long time since they’ve all been together, and he meant all thirteen of them. They made sure to call Hankyung all the way from China through a video call, ensuring that he would be part of the party even from the distance. Kibum promised that he would rush and follow because next to Kyuhyun, Kibum followed Jongwoon like a puppy.

Preparations were done fast. Ryeowook and Sungmin took all the groceries they had and they began to cook. Youngwoon, Hyukjae and Donghee went to buy some cake and alcohol. (“It’s a party! You can’t not have some booze!”—“There’s a limit to how much you want to abuse that fact, Heechul.”) Heechul and Siwon stayed and talked to Hankyung.

Looking around, Donghae noticed that Kyuhyun and Jongwoon were nowhere to be found. He made his way through the rooms, opening them and calling out for the two of them until he saw them in the room at the very end of the hallway.

Kyuhyun was cupping Jongwoon’s face, his hand large enough to nearly engulf Jongwoon’s head. Jongwoon’s hands were wrapped behind Kyuhyun, reaching to the small of his back. His head was bent down a bit, his gaze surely somewhere else but directly at Kyuhyun. Donghae saw his lips move and the hands tilted Jongwoon’s face then Kyuhyun leaned forward and gave him a loving kiss.

Donghae couldn’t resist a smile. He silently closed the door, leaving them alone. Slowly, he walked away, unnoticed. If there was a spring in his step, none of the members mentioned it.

Because there was nothing more magical than seeing two people being so madly in love.

 

“Naught but love makes magic real.” – Salman Rushdie

 


A/N: (This might have been too vague...) And that’s it! TTuTT 5 months, 20 stories, 33,795 words… My first ever writing challenge that I finished! I feel so accomplished.

I’d like to thank EVERYONE who even just clicked this story. Special mention to Melodyewonkyu, Flowless, KcuLL22, and TaiShanNiangNiang for reading and commenting since the very beginning! But of course, all of you readers, commenters and subscribers! Thank you so very much! You all helped me through writing this challenge. I’m also incredibly grateful to my Upvoters and especially to Kyusungcentral for making this happen!

Though this story is marked complete, stay tuned for some extras! See you next fic!