(02) Something Happened on the Way to Japan

Love Stories and Maybe a Turtle

(02) Something Happened on the Way to Japan – 1,978

For the most part, KRY concerts in Japan are quite enjoyable. It had the less amount of stress than usual because they weren’t more than five members. It was also great because they had as much stage time as the rest, since filling up two hours with at least three members were less rushed. All in all, KRY concerts were peaceful and allowed all of them to relax.

Except during breakfast.

Sungmin wanted to throw a tantrum. Unfortunately, he was the most mature adult present at the moment, with Kyuhyun being a brat, Jongwoon being childish and Ryeowook being just simply Ryeowook. Donghae wasn’t around due to wrapping up the last two weeks of Donghae and Eunhyuk promotions.

And Sungmin wished he could have just ordered room service. Eating with KRY used to be pleasant. They all laughed and acted like they would during meals at home that it didn’t feel like they were out of the country at all. It didn’t feel as alienating. But a week before they left for the concert, Kyuhyun and Jongwoon began acting weirdly.

He could pretty much guess what happened. This was typical in mangas and manhwas, even dramas. Those romantic ones. Even if they were both male. He didn’t know if the fact that it wasn’t even surprising anymore made his situation quite pitiful. What he did know was there was something happening and it was disrupting group morale. Jungsoo would have a fit if he were here.

Ryeowook was sitting between them, looking blissfully ignorant to what was happening, but Sungmin knew him well enough to know that Ryeowook was just as aware as he was. He just didn’t feel as uncomfortable during mealtimes. It might have been the cause and effect of being with them most of the time. Especially Jongwoon.

The fans were perceptive regarding their favorite idols and it was true enough that he and Jongwoon don’t get along as well as the others. It didn’t mean that he didn’t care, though. Jongwoon was a great hyung and Sungmin looked up to him and treated him like an older brother. Someone he could run to for advice when he desperately needs one. Or for someone to have a shoulder to cry on or an ear to listen to. He just didn’t express it with skin-ship, that’s all.

The little ticks and twitches when Kyuhyun was around were noticeable to anyone who knew Jongwoon. The way his cheeks would grow pink and his eyes avoiding looking at Kyuhyun, to the way his body flinches and his hand twitches when in close proximity of him that they would nearly touch.

Something definitely happened.

Unfortunately for Jongwoon, they were sitting in a square table and there were four of them. Usually, with Donghae, Kyuhyun would have sat on the farthest side because Jongwoon liked being surrounded by his bandmates, sitting adjacent to them so that he could make sure they eat and share food with them. But this time, they were sitting on one side of the square table each, making Jongwoon sit in front of Kyuhyun.

The blushing and the quick retreat of the hands were painfully obvious to Sungmin that he wanted to scream. But they were in public and they had to keep appearances.

They had one more concert after tonight and then it was a free day. This was going to be a long trip.

*

The concert went well. Though his performance was short, he enjoyed watching them on the sidelines; sometimes sneaking into the seats with the audiences just to see how they look live. Luckily they were professional enough to cast aside all the awkwardness and to still have that bit of skin-ship. And when they performed their duet, it was heartfelt and Jongwoon sang it without blushing or croaking.

Thank god for small miracles.

Now that they were on their way back to the hotel, Sungmin observed the way they were all seated. Ryeowook insisted on sitting near the window because Japan was wonderful and he liked watching the lights, especially seeing Tokyo Tower from where they were. They knew this, even before Japan.

Tomorrow would be their final day before returning to Korea. Tomorrow was also one of those rare days they were given for free time. He took a mental note to check his phone just in case he forgets what to bring back home.

He also took a mental note that he should probably order room service this time.

As he walked to the lobby, he detoured towards the concierge. “I’d like to request a wake-up call for room 412 at eight?” The lady smiled and nodded, repeating what he said to make sure. He made his way to his room, eyes looking around to see the various business people who were in the hotel. When he arrived in his room, Ryeowook was already sleeping while there was only single light open. Sungmin whispered a small thanks and good night, changing into his sleeping clothes and went to bed.

*

The next day woke him up with a surprise. The blaring sound of the telephone ringing made him jump up and scanned the room. When he realized that it was the phone, he picked it up. The lady from the other side reminded him that it was his wake up call request the night before. He groggily said thank you and lied back down on the bed.

“Hyung,” a honey-like voice said out of the blue and Sungmin repeated everything that just happened. He jumped and grabbed anything that was near him, taking a position to throw it. Kyuhyun’s messy hair poked out of the blanket, messing up the already-made bed that Sungmin was sure Ryeowook made. Kyuhyun’s eyes darted to the object Sungmin was holding. Sungmin looked at it too and realized that he was holding the Bible. Flinching, he carefully placed the Bible back on the middle bedside table and sat back down on his bed. Kyuhyun sat up, pushing the blanket to his lap and he moved to lean his back straight against the bed frame. He sighed loudly.

Sungmin resisted the urge to tell him to get out because he looked like he would jump of a ledge if he did and Jungsoo would definitely yell at him if he came back without Kyuhyun. Not to mention, Jongwoon would have a fit and knowing his temper, it would be bad. So he opted to do the same and raised his legs on the bed to move his back against the bed frame too. He pulled the blankets up because the air conditioning wasn’t turned off and it was freezing. His clothes felt quite thin, but the bed, the pillows and the blanket was very comfortable. (He made a mental note to recommend this hotel again.)

“I told him.” Kyuhyun said, possibly expecting not to be heard. But Sungmin heard it anyway and with the way Kyuhyun said it, he was probably being idiotic about it.

Still, he needed confirmation. “Told who what?”

Kyuhyun looked like a kicked puppy and it was weird because Kyuhyun never looked like anything that innocent. It was always pure evil. Kyuhyun sighed again and scratched the back of his head, then ran his hand over his face. His looked distraught. “Jongwoon-hyung.”

A beat of silence. “What?”

Kyuhyun glared this time and Sungmin resisted the urge to yell ‘That’s the Kyuhyun I know!’ because it was stupid and he prided himself in being the most adult.

“I told Jongwoon-hyung.” Kyuhyun repeated and this time, it was Sungmin who wanted to scratch the back of his head. Because they were getting nowhere and who knew what Kyuhyun said?

“Told Jongwoon-hyung what? I can’t help you if you won’t tell me—”

“I told him that I love him, alright?!” Kyuhyun bellowed and it was such a sudden sentence that Sungmin had to scramble for his balance before he fell off the bed.

“You—you told him?” Sungmin sat, jaw dropped open and in shock. Deep down, he knew he should be rejoicing, screaming ‘ yeah!’ and pumping his fist because the time finally arrived when one of them made a move. But he was still in shock. “You told him… that you love him…” He repeated dumbly, like a broken record that would be fixed with a kick. Kyuhyun’s face went from annoyed to frustrated to defeated in a matter of three seconds.

“Oh god,” Sungmin said, the fact of it all finally sinking in. “You told Jongwoon you love him.” Because for some reason, Kyuhyun being here instead of Ryeowook meant that some damage control needed to be done.

Kyuhyun kept his head down and his fist curled, gripping the pillow that was suddenly on his lap hard enough the Sungmin felt that he was either going to smother himself or rip it into two. Either way, it would end in disaster and Sungmin was going to pay for it, figuratively and literally.

“Yes, front desk?” Sungmin said in a low voice, catching Kyuhyun’s attention. He opened his mouth to say something, but Sungmin glared at him. “Yes, I’d like the continental breakfast please. Oh, and the champagne in room 412 is complementary, yes?”

He fell silent for a few seconds, bobbing his head with a few hums here and there. “Great, because from the conversation I’m going to have, I’m probably going to need a drink.”

*

Sungmin sat on the table, adamantly ignoring the two people talking on the other side of the room. He took a big bite out of the toast that he spread with butter and strawberry jam. His face was leaning onto a curled fist, with his elbow propped up on the table. He was turned away from the two other people, resolutely not looking at them at all.

Ryeowook slid to sit down onto the seat in front of him, a big round plate on his hand and a teacup in another. Sungmin spared him a glance before quickly looking away when he saw Ryeowook smiling goofily at the two at the end of the room. He took chopsticks and cut his sweetened egg in half, popping it into his mouth and he chewed thoughtfully.

Kyuhyun and Jongwoon were bickering, their faces dark red by the intensity of their blushes. Hands were flailing all around before Kyuhyun caught it and intertwined it on his own. Jongwoon looked down, looking defeated but Ryeowook knew he was trying to hide his blush. Because if anything else, Jongwoon was very close to kicking Kyuhyun’s shin.

“Looks like everything worked well, don’t you think, hyung?” Ryeowook said, taking another bite of his sweetened egg before taking a sip of his miso soup. Sungmin glanced at him with a raised brow, before eating the last bite of his toast. He straightened himself and drank his coffee. Ryeowook raised a brow at him as well, but there was a twitch at the corner of his lips, highly amused.

“Their food’s gonna get cold,” Ryeowook continued, eyes darting to their direction every few seconds. Sungmin made a non-committed noise, drowning the rest of his coffee. Ryeowook shrugged with one shoulder and continued eating. “It was lucky that you talked some sense into Kyuhyun. I was nearly going to rip hyung’s shirt from stopping him from jumping.”

Sungmin sighed, low and deep. Ryeowook was giving him a full blown smile now. Sungmin shook his head and finally glanced at the two. Kyuhyun was rubbing soothing circles on the back of Jongwoon’s palm with his thumb. Jongwoon still refused to look at Kyuhyun, but from where they were seated, Sungmin was amazed at how red he was.

“Breakfast used to be so quiet with KRY.”

“You’re lucky. You didn’t have to sit between them.” And honestly, Sungmin couldn’t have been more relieved for that.


A/N: Remember, this is a DOUBLE UPDATE. Don’t forget to go to the next short!