(28) The Most Cliché Thing Ever

Love Stories and Maybe a Turtle

(28) The Most Cliché Thing Ever - 1,509

Jongwoon took a walk in the park, one of those rare days when he got a day off on a wonderful sunny day.

He liked these walks because it gave him such peace and quiet, things he didn’t get when he’s at the dorm or at the café. A few minutes sitting on the bench and people watching were his preferred way to gather his thoughts. Especially now.

People have accused him of being oblivious, dense. That he was too “innocent” and “naïve” to figure out everything that was happening around him. It wasn’t quite the truth. He knew what was happening around him.

He noticed Heechul was a lot closer to Hankyung than most and probably a bit too close for a typical Korean. He also knew that while Ryeowook liked cooking and taking care if the members, he prefers to eat someone else’s cooking sometimes. Even Kibum, though it was his choice to pursue an acting career that he decides to take a hiatus as an idol, he misses everyone dearly and he wants to visit and eat dinner together like old times.

Jongwoon knew these things. And while he wasn’t the first to know, he knew them.

Because he’d rather they told him things like these.

He hated assuming. If people had a problem or a thing, he wanted them to say it directly and not beat around the bush .

Maybe that was why he never understood women.

They always expected him to know what they wanted. That what they said wasn’t what they meant and vice versa.

Life was complicated.

Love, more so.

This was why he was out at the park, sitting on a bench and just watched people pass by. Either they didn’t know him or completely ignored him was fine with him. After all, he was looking for peace and quiet.

“Yesung-sunbaenim?” He heard someone to his side. Jongwoon raised his head slowly, a bit wary about the stranger.

“We don’t actually interact much. I mostly guest with Ryeowookie-hyung and Sungminnie-hyung at Sukira. Sandeul,” he was greeted with a wide smile and a messy, short, brown hair.

“…B1A4, right?” Jongwoon clarified and scooted to the other end of the bench, offering him a seat.

He was answered with a brighter smile. “It’s Lee Junghwan, actually.”

“In that case, Junghwan-sshi, Kim Jongwoon.” Jongwoon reached a hand and Junghwan shook it.

They sat in silence for a few minutes, enjoying the rustle of the trees, the soft wind and the ambient chatter of the people further in the park.

“What brings you here?” Junghwan asked, now that Jongwoon glanced at him, he could see him fidgeting. He probably wasn’t good at keeping still. Jongwoon smiled, another person passing through his mind.

“Just needed some space to think.”

“I see,” Junghwan replied and returned to being silent. He wasn’t disturbing Jongwoon per se, but he couldn’t help feel sorry for Junghwan.

“What about you?”

Junghwan smiled and Jongwoon could swear there was the faintest blush. “Waiting for someone at the building across the street.”

Jongwoon knew that smile and that far distant look. He’s seen it a couple of times and have been told he’s done some himself as well.

“Lover?” Jongwoon asked, because though he is shy, sometimes his brain-to-mouth filter goes on vacations. Junghwan, though, to his credit, smiled brightly and Jongwoon thought he’s seen the happiest person in Earth.

“Probably not yet.” Junghwan admitted, turning to the building and looking up a few floors.

“No confession yet?” Jongwoon continued because his chest began to twinge and he thought it was empathy.

Junghwan shook his head. “I’ve been told that I’m too blind to see it.”

A small, airy huff of laughter escaped Jongwoon before he realized it because he was out in the park for that same reason.

“But I just might,” Junghwan continued and faced Jongwoon. “You know, confess.”

He must have had a very pitiful, confused look written all over his face because Junghwan laughed. “Better now than never.”

“Nervous?” Jongwoon wanted to slap himself. This was why people tell him he’s naïve.

Junghwan nodded, but his smile never faded. “It’s stupid because I’m older than him though to be fair, he is the youngest. Not to mention, probably a lot smarter and more mature than me.”

Jongwoon kept silent and waited. “He’s clever and such a prankster and we’re the most incompatible people you’ll ever have the misfortune to meet.

“But I just can’t seem to leave him alone.”

Jongwoon realized that he doesn’t remember who Junghwan was talking about. He rarely had any chances to interact with B1A4 since his radio show stopped before they debuted. He also hasn’t guest starred in Sukira in a while.

“Sometimes,” Junghwan whispered but Jongwoon heard it out and clear. “We’re blinded by the fact that they’re constantly by your side. Since you’re in a group and all, you think and pray that you’d go beyond those five years, then ten, and reach until you’re all sixty and heaving at simple dance moves.

“And then suddenly, there’s more to your life than just that gray scale. Someone comes and changes you and you’re no longer blinded. I’m not making much sense, am I?” Junghwan asked sheepishly.

Jongwoon grimaced. “Afraid not.”

“Sorry,” Junghwan apologized. “I remember you said you wanted peace a quiet. And yet here I am, disturbing you.”

“It’s alright,” Jongwoon smiled. “I invited you to the conversation.”

Junghwan exhaled and smiled again. Jongwoon straightened, watching the birds landing and pecking at the concrete. At the corner of his eye, Junghwan hit his chest in an effort to calm his heart. He was still fidgeting. He probably didn’t notice that his fingers were nearly tearing his jeans apart.

The building at the other side opened and out came a tall man, with short black hair and a smile that reminded him of Sungmin’s aegyo.

“Hyung,” he greeted Junghwan and Jongwoon had to give him credit for not freezing. Junghwan was smiling.

“Hi, Channie,” Junghwan greeted, standing up. “Did it go well?”

The man--Channie--nodded.

Junghwan sighed in relief. Now that Jongwoon was looking at the building Channie had emerged from, he noticed that it was a small clinic. He smiled, also grateful to hear that it went well, whatever it was.

Channie looked at him. Junghwan turned and realized they weren’t the only ones there.

“Oh, that’s right! Jongwoon-hyung, this is Gong Chanshik.”

“Aah, Gongchan!” Jongwoon snapped his fingers. He knew now.

Chanshik reached a hand and shook Jongwoon’s. He looked back at Junghwan and nudged him by the shoulder.

“Dongwoo-hyung’s waiting. We still have to pick him up.”

Junghwan nodded and bowed to Jongwoon. Chanshik bowed as well, but went ahead to a black van. Jongwoon smiled at Junghwan.

“Fighting, Junghwannie,” he said because he liked this dongsaeng. “I’m sure everything will be alright.”

Junghwan smiled softly, gaze still distant as he looked over his shoulder. “I can’t guarantee that it’ll be alright. But I know it’ll be worth it.”

Jongwoon felt speechless yet proud. This was the longest conversation he’s had with any member of B1A4, but he cared. (He resolved silently to invite them to dinner or at the café sometime, just because.)

“There may be things we’re too blinded to see. But when all you see is him, you can’t help but block out everything else.”

Jongwoon opened his mouth to say something but opted to ruffle Junghwan’s hair instead, like the caring hyung he was. “Have you ever starred in a series before? Your words are too dramatic.”

Junghwan swatted Jongwoon’s hand but grinned. “I just might.”

“Hyung!” Chanshik yelled from the van window. Junghwan bowed again and ran.

“But when all you see is him… huh,” Jongwoon whispered to himself then turned around to walk back to the dorm.

It was quiet when he arrived given that it was late in the afternoon. The members have either gone to their schedules or were just about to wrap up.

The letter on the fridge told him that Donghae and Hyukjae were at the shop to help then to steal some dinner. Jongwoon shook his head in amusement.

When he checked the board for the list of their schedules, besides Donghae, Hyukjae and him being free for the day, Kyuhyun’s slot was empty too.

Jongwoon walked further down the hall and heard muffled sounds.

“Come on, you stupid aliens. Die, die!” Jongwoon chuckled, not being able to help laughing. He entered the room slowly and quietly as possible so not to disturb him.

He sat down beside him, legs crossed and hands in front.

Jongwoon bit his bottom lip.

“I’ll tell you later, Kyu,” he whispered to himself mostly. He was too busy looking down shyly that he missed Kyuhyun’s quick glance, nod and smile.

“For the love of--come on!” Jongwoon leaned his head onto Kyuhyun’s shoulder with a smile.

It’s fine if Kyuhyun doesn’t see him yet. It’s fine if Jongwoon sees nothing else but him. It’s entirely fine.

Because his world was no longer gray.


A/N: And that's it. This was a reserve fanfic in case I didn't have any on a Tuesday... I was going for ‘color blindness’ as a metaphor for falling in love and ‘blindness’ being likened to obliviousness. Err… I’ll stop writing dense Jongwoon.

I had a bit of trouble regarding this because I haven’t seen anything where Yesung and Sandeul interact and I’m not that big on KPOP, being still fairly new. So if it seemed really forced, I apologize, but I can’t feel too sorry because MY BIASES IN ONE FIC. I’M HAPPY EVEN THOUGH I WROTE IT MYSELF.