(06) Something Lovely This Way Comes

Love Stories and Maybe a Turtle

(06) Something Lovely This Way Comes - 1,849

“Why are we doing this? It’s in the middle of autumn.”

“That’s exactly why we’re doing this! Besides, why not?”

“It’s too damn cold.”

“It’s Halloween!” Youngwoon raised an eyebrow at Jongwoon. That wasn’t much of a reason why they should still decorate. In the cold, no less. With the global warming happening, the autumn in Korea grew colder than it used to be.

“Do the residents even know you’re doing this?” He asked as his arms were crossed against his chest. He was standing on one side of his weight, his hips protruded. It felt like a parent, waiting for his child to notice him and to realize that what he was doing was wrong.

No such luck with Jongwoon in that department. “It’s fine, brings out the holiday festivities.” Typically Youngwoon would be all for a celebration. A chance to get away from the work stuff and to just be a normal person. Well, they all did ask for their statuses so it wasn’t quite their place to complain. Still, a little breather was fine now and then.

It was just that… there was something off about Jongwoon putting up orange and black colored decorations in the dorm. For one thing, he didn’t live there anymore. And for another thing, he asked Youngwoon to inform him if everyone was gone.

“Are you avoiding someone?” Tiny hands stilled at what they were doing, hung up in midair. It smashed the nail right in the head. Youngwoon raised his brow again, this time walking closer to actually face Jongwoon.

His face was red to the tips of his ears and even down his collar. It was always amazing to see Jongwoon blushing because of how far the color went down his body. It was different when they’re going to perform.

“Of course not,” he replied, though his hands were shaking. The embarrassment was something, but Youngwoon didn’t push. If he did any further, there would be blood and most likely it would be his. He watched as Jongwoon reached for other paper chains alternating in orange and black and hanging them on the top corner of the dorm.

Faintly, a click of the door lock reached Youngwoon’s ears and he moved. Everything happened quickly. The door was pushed open and hit the ladder that Jongwoon was on. It was slow motion in Youngwoon’s eyes, though. He held out his arms to steady the ladder but Jongwoon was clumsy to a horrifying extent so he tipped far back more than a normal person with better reflexes would. The ladder landed with a crash but Youngwoon was careful not to drop the sudden heavy weight on his arms.

“What the hell?” A sharp voice yelled and Youngwoon grunted. He was still trying to regain his balance; he couldn’t put Jongwoon down just yet.

“Hey, Kyu,” Jongwoon seemed unperturbed, though he didn’t appear to notice their situation at all.

It was when Kyuhyun’s eyes darted up and down did he realize this. Jongwoon’s body grew warmer and Youngwoon was shocked and a bit disturbed. Jongwoon began thrashing in his arms, silently demanding to be put down. “What—hyung, stop! I’ll drop you!”

“It’s fine! I’m fine! I’ll just sprain something at the worst! Put me the down, Youngwoon!” In the struggle, Youngwoon felt a fist hitting his cheek. Not enough for a true blow, but just right for him to let Jongwoon stand.

“I’ll be in my room.” Kyuhyun said, curtly as soon as Jongwoon was standing on his own. Youngwoon rubbed the cheek Jongwoon hit and stretched his jaw a bit. Luckily, there was no blood. He managed to avoid Kyuhyun’s hasty retreat and the sudden change in atmosphere.

“Kyu—”

Youngwoon watched as things unfolded. Jongwoon’s face was filled with distraught he didn’t think he would ever witness. They both turned to the room Kyuhyun went into, closing the door so softly as if a wind just blew in. Jongwoon lowered his raised hand that was trying to reach for Kyuhyun and turned around. Youngwoon twisted his head to him, Jongwoon’s shoulders slumped down and eyes shocked and wide. He was chewing his bottom lip and he brought up his hand. Though his back was turned to Youngwoon, it didn’t take a genius to figure out that Jongwoon was biting his nonexistent nails again.

“Hyung, what about the decorations?”  Why weren’t the others back yet?

Jongwoon was too busy in his head that he only heard vaguely Youngwoon speaking, not entirely understanding what he said. He raised a hand and waved. Youngwoon’s eye twitched because this was pathetic.

Some damage control needed to be done.

*

“Is this really necessary?” Jungsoo asked, fixing his clothes. Youngwoon called his attention a week after Jongwoon decorated the dorm.

“Hyung,” Youngwoon began. “When was the last time you saw Jongwoon not sulking?”

“…the week you decorated the dorm.” At the time of the rest of the members’ arrival, the atmosphere in the dorm was incredibly thick. Kyuhyun locked himself in the room and Jongwoon was on the sofa, legs raised against his chest and his face hidden behind his knees. He was clutching a pillow tightly with his bottom lip protruded into a shape of a pout. It was like trying to calm a kid down from a tantrum.

“And when was the last time Kyuhyun played a prank?” Jungsoo flinched at the question.

“I’ve got to admit, that is quite unnerving.” He admitted. Because it was like walking to a lion’s den completely blind. They were all used to Kyuhyun playing pranks on them that having him not playing pranks disturbed them. They didn’t want to wait for the horrible, if at any at all possible.

“That’s why yes, this is a necessity.” Youngwoon slapped the tickets onto his palm. There was an autumn fair in a nearby park that included a clothing sale, organic food and pumpkins. There were lots of pumpkins. And a horror booth.

That was what they were after; the horror booth.

Donghae and Hyukjae came back from the fair the day before and said that the horror booth was definitely something that would scare the bejesus out of anyone! That was when Youngwoon decided that desperate times called for desperate measures.

This was their desperate time, and the horror booth was their desperate measure, now if only he could figure out how to get them both to go together.

“Kyuhyun, we’re going to eat at the fair today. I heard there were shooting games. You coming?” Youngwoon heard Jungsoo knocking on and talking through the door. He wanted to hit him for such a thoughtless tact, if it didn’t work. The door lock clicked and Kyuhyun came out, fully dressed as if he wasn’t just brooding inside his room for the past week. It were times like these when Youngwoon didn’t question Jungsoo’s leadership. It left him at awe at how good he was at handling all the members.

“Wait in the car. We’ll follow.” Kyuhyun nodded and went. He was probably still sulking, that was why he didn’t want to say a word. Youngwoon shook his head after slapping his face with a hand. He was dealing with children. Children everywhere.

“Jongwoon, there’s a fair at the park today. Youngwoon and I are going right now. You coming?” Youngwoon’s head snapped up, hearing the same question repeated. Jungsoo was speaking to his cellphone and he could distantly hear Jongwoon saying he was coming, out of breath and some faint thuds coming from the other line.

Children. Children everywhere.

*

Step one was a success, getting the two of them to leave their sulking for a while. Step two was also a success because they got them both to the park. Step three was a work in progress, however.

Kyuhyun ce they got down. Even though there were a lot of people, these were the same people who lived in the neighborhood so seeing Super Junior wasn’t out of the ordinary. Other stall owners greeted them and offered them free samples. Customers greeted them like friendly neighbors passing by and Jungsoo was thankful. Kyuhyun went straight to the shooting games, not even saying anything to Jungsoo and Youngwoon.

“Kyuhyun, wait!” Jungsoo jogged up to him. He pushed a ticket on his chest. “Haunted Mansion in fifteen minutes. Don’t be late. We’ll meet up with you there.” Kyuhyun opened his mouth to protest. He was not ten years old anymore. He wasn’t here for some cheap Haunted Mansion tour. “I will get Heechul if you don’t. A Heechul who has not spoken to Hankyung in a month. I am not scared to do it.”

Typically, Kyuhyun could handle Heechul in any ordinary day. But the threat included “who has not spoken to Hankyung in a month” and a Heechul deprived of Hankyung was deprived of morality. He was nearly as close to Jongwoon losing his temper.

“Fine.” He grumbled, but he didn’t wait for Jungsoo to say anything else before sauntering away.

Jungsoo placed his hands on his waist and nodded, thinking to himself of patting him on the head and saying, “Good boy.”

Youngwoon tapped his shoulder and behind him was Jongwoon. It seemed that he just arrived and luckily, Kyuhyun already blended into the crowd before Jongwoon could find him. “We’ve got fifteen minutes left before the Haunted Mansion. Let’s look around first and then we can come back to the stores after the Mansion.” Jungsoo said as they began to walk, speaking like he was handling a couple of seven year olds. Jongwoon nodded enthusiastically, though and Youngwoon didn’t bother to protest.

 

Their fifteen minutes went by like a blur. They only got halfway through the stalls because of the crowd. But it was time to go to the Haunted Mansion, so they made their way. Jungsoo told Jongwoon to go ahead, though, because he was quite parched. He grabbed Youngwoon and said that they’ll meet up with him there. Jongwoon nodded and went ahead. Youngwoon was still at awe at how smoothly things were going.

He doesn’t feel bad about this. Even if Jongwoon’s innocent face appears when he closes his eyes. This was for the greater good.

*

Jongwoon was pouting on the car ride back. Not because he was still fighting with Kyuhyun. In fact, it was the opposite. Jungsoo looked from the rear view mirror and smiled, coaxing him into forgiving them. Jongwoon firmly stared through the window and crossed his arms. Kyuhyun offered a soft, winning smile. Then Youngwoon heard it.

“Hyung,” Kyuhyun’s honey-like voice was almost menacing. “You don’t have to pout. You were really cute.” Youngwoon snapped and turned and saw what he didn’t expect to see. Kyuhyun’s hand was caressing Jongwoon’s arms, the other reached out for his cheek. Kyuhyun turned Jongwoon’s head to face him and pushed lips against lips. Jungsoo pressed on the brakes and the speeding car went to an abrupt stop.

“KYUHYUN!!”

And as much as Youngwoon was relieved things happened for the better, he probably wouldn’t risk his life like this again.


A/N: I almost panicked when I tried to figure out how many I needed to write left. I thought I exceeded my "special guests" stories. Turns out, I was missing a bit more. So I have only 4 left until the end of my part in this challenge. Thank you to all the subscribers and readers and voters and commentors and lurkers! QuQ

I plan on writing what happened in the Haunted Mansion after the rest, so stay tuned!