(27) Mistletoe Misadventures

Love Stories and Maybe a Turtle

(27) Mistletoe Misadventures – 2,405

Usually, Jongjin didn’t mind winters. Mostly because it brought them a lot of customers who actually buy. It was a warm haven. They had a working heater that didn’t blow over and make it feel like summer. And the fact that they produced great, hot coffee and other warm food for the stomach. He’s glad that Jongwoon designed the place because that meant he would know every nook and cranny. It would also mean that he took tons of precautions and had insurances for accidents.

Of course, they already had a lot of customers normally because he was Yesung from Super Junior and though there were a handful that came because of the rumors that Super Junior members tended to visit him, they chose and paid for items and that was enough for Jongjin.

He was embarrassed to say that one of the reasons why he didn’t quite much like winter despite the numerous customers are… the numerous customers. Those who were Clouds and by extension, baby Clouds. Jongjin felt a blush rise up his cheeks as he accidentally forgot he pressed the cash register a bit too hard, causing it to open, hitting him square at the stomach. He coughed a bit at the impact. The young girl in front of him was looking at him with worried eyes but she didn’t take advantage of his “injury” to go over the counter, so he had to thank God for that.

“Jin, are you okay?” Jongwoon arrived, and most of the girls swooned and screamed. Jongjin swore he could see sparkles and roses popping up behind Jongwoon, like a very pretty boy in a manhwa. He had a very shiny brother.

“I’m fine, hyung. Just floating about the clouds.” More girls screamed because fangirls were narcissistic and took everything said by their idols as something that was meant for them, even a horrible pun. Jongjin waved him off and took the payment from the girl politely. He gave the change, nonchalantly placing it back on top of her palm where her cash used to be, her hand not moving an inch since Jongwoon arrived.

Jongwoon didn’t believe him. But knew that if he pressed, Jongjin would just get angrier. “Alright, if you say so.” He walked away, passing through the backdoors for employees only. Jongjin could only guess that it was to do either some paperwork or sing. A bit of rest might do him some good, though.

Jongjin shook his head and greeting the next customer with a smile. It was during store hours. Getting distracted is not good.

“Jongjin.” Someone whispered his name that caused shivers down his spine.

“Oh god,” he said, not bothering to keep a fake smile. “He’s around back. Please don’t cause any trouble.” The funny thing about the situation was that the “customer” didn’t even bother lying about not causing trouble. Girls began chattering and whispering and Jongjin thought that it was just about time for them to realize who just went in.

*

Closing was both the most stressful and the most relaxing thing during store hours. This meant that their cheeks could rest from all the smiling and their brains could stop memorizing and keeping note about what the customer wants. It was stressful when they realize that they need to check on their storage, write up their inventory and account their books. While to most people it was the worst thing ever, Jongjin found something quite therapeutic about it.

“You ended up staying after hours,” Jongwoon said and Jongjin was sure he wasn’t talking to him.

“I just thought I’d visit. Besides, filming isn’t until after Christmas. Most of the staff and producers went home to visit their families.” Kibum walked out behind Jongwoon. “And I was thinking we could hold a small Super Junior Christmas party.”

Jongjin went back to his books, calculating their expenses and returns. There should be enough coffee beans to last the next week, and then it’s time to replenish them…

“Let’s hold it here!” The pen writing on the accounting book paused and Jongjin felt his blood pressure rise. He didn’t have anything against Super Junior per se. It was headache inducing, “not so subtle as they think” people who were after his brother. Kibum being one of them.

“We can close for the day so we can set things up. Decorate with trees and lights and fake snow!” Jongwoon said excitedly. Jongjin sighed deeply. His brother was already coming up with plans about the decorations. And if he knew his brother, it would be filled with lights, tinsel and mistletoe.

Oh god, they were going to have mistletoe.

Jongjin could see it now. The stress levels would be on high not because he would have customers to serve on the eve of Christmas (he heard them distantly, Jongwoon already muttering how things were going to go and Kibum just nodding along as he went), but because he was going to have to “protect” Jongwoon from under the mistletoe.

To him, it was no secret that Kibum liked, maybe even loved, Jongwoon. Out of all his seniors, Jongwoon was the one he talked to and visited the most. The next took him a while to figure out, but Siwon was handsy towards everyone that it was almost easy to miss. It was the embarrassed smile and the warm look in his eyes that caught him.

Last, but definitely not the least, was Kyuhyun. Jongjin couldn’t even begin to explain. There was always something about Kyuhyun who wanted Jongwoon’s approval since the beginning. Jongjin thought long before, back when he just started, was that he wanted to be acknowledged as a great singer, as a good main vocal that wouldn’t embarrass the name of Super Junior. Jongwoon wouldn’t stop talking about him, sometimes about how irritating the boy was and then most of the time, how his voice could even please the devil. Jongwoon thought that he wasn’t listening, but he was.

Then the accident happened. To Jongjin, he saw Jongwoon’s world crashing down on him. He saw the helpless and distraught look Jongwoon had when they informed the members that they were in a car accident, that Kyuhyun had it the worst and that he was in a coma, going in and out of consciousness. Jongjin saw the empty eyes, the dark circles underneath them, and his cheekbones.

When Kyuhyun woke up, Jongjin realized that there was no one happier about it than Jongwoon. He tried to hide it, but the happiness and the relief bubbling up in him were written all over his face that Jongjin couldn’t help but just write it off as “stupidly in love”.

And that was when he understood that his oblivious big brother was in love with probably the worst person he could be with. He knew this and yet he was about to stress himself out on Christmas Eve just to get them together.

He might be just as idiotic as his brother.

*

Sixteen. So far, he has seen sixteen snowflakes stuck into the window and the door with names in it. Jongjin didn’t understand and he resolved that he didn’t want to know. They only had two more hours for decorations, and then it’s time for the food.

The tinsels and the lights were put up. Jongwoon made sure that the lights were plugged to either an extension cord or to an outlet. Jongjin wanted to rip them apart the night before when Jongwoon tried them all; making sure that no bulb was out. Needless to say, it was painful to look at with your eyes open and it gave him a headache. He was running on caffeine and after living with Jongwoon for more than twenty years, he should have expected it.

The tree was decorated to the side, beside the window in the corner. It was quite big and Jongjin felt relieved that they were closed for the day. It was already cramped without the tree.

“Jongjin, I’m putting this here, and then another inside the back room.” Jongwoon said distantly. Jongjin made an affirming noise and went back to untangling the rest of the lights absent-mindedly. “Everyone’s about to come soon. C’mon, let’s change.” Jongwoon pulled him towards the back door and shoved a duffel bag.

The two hours went by like a hurricane afterwards. Everyone arrived nearly at the same time. “Hankyung-hyung!” Jongwoon said, bouncing happily towards the door. They all smiled at his arrival, thankful that their countries weren’t an obstacle for visiting. Jongjin saw everything nearly in slow motion. Heechul pointed above him and Hankyung followed his look. He raised his eyebrows but complied.

The peck on his forehead was surprising that it caused him to freeze momentarily. He held his forehead and looked weirdly at Hankyung. Jongjin wanted to slap himself for not paying attention. Hankyung smiled and pointed above him this time and Jongwoon noticed the mistletoe he hung up earlier. He blushed deeply and took a step back.

Jongjin looked around the room. Siwon stopped mid-conversation. Kibum faltered in his step, just arriving from his schedule. Kyuhyun looked pained. Jongjin hung his head low. This was going to be a very long evening.

He needed backup. Luckily, he knew the members well enough to be comfortable around them. He also knew how to handle them. So with the careful scheming with Heechul, and the innocent face of Ryeowook, Jongjin was determined to push Jongwoon to Kyuhyun by midnight because if these go on and Jongwoon continue with the oblivious to the mistletoe thing, there might be more than two broken hearts this year.

And he so dearly wanted his brother to be happy. It was just that, he was making it so difficult.

“Hyung! Look at this plate, please.” Jongjin called when Jongwoon stood underneath the mistletoe, counting the Christmas presents under the tree and Siwon took a step behind him. Before Siwon could even initiate anything, Jongwoon walked away after giving him a smile. It wasn’t that Jongjin hated them. He just knew that if Jongwoon didn’t admit to his feelings soon, he wouldn’t be happy.

Jongjin pretended to get busier, asking Jongwoon to look at the plates of cake they were planning on serving, since the meals itself were self-service. They were new cakes, too. He didn’t feel the least bit guilty that they were using Korea’s top male idols as guinea pigs… Served them right for causing him this amount of stress.

For Kibum’s part, it was a bit more subtle and a lot more panic inducing for Jongjin. The man is great. He had talent and passion for acting and while he’s still on an indefinite hiatus from the group, he takes the time to meet up with them at least a few times a month. For that, Jongjin is thankful because everyone knew that Jongwoon hated feeling abandoned.

Kibum was holding onto two mugs, one on each hand, looking around, seemingly confused. Jongwoon, being the good guy that he was, went to him for a conversation. No one was aware of anything that was happening. They were each in their own little trios, talking about their families and their schedules and planning on doing something else during the New Year.

“What is that?” Jongwoon reached out for the other mug that Kibum was holding. Unconsciously, Kibum handed one to him, a deep blush across his cheeks and eyes not leaving Jongwoon’s. Jongwoon smiled and raised his mug. “Cheers!” And he drank.

One small sip from the mug allowed Kibum to remember what he was holding and then suddenly, it was too late. “No, hyung, wait!!” Kibum screamed, hand reaching out to stop him. But Jongwoon drank the entire mug in one go. Everyone turned to them. Jungsoo quickly appeared and asked what was going on.

Jongwoon released the mug and it fell onto the floor. Luckily, the mug helped and it didn’t break completely. He draped himself over Jungsoo and began to laugh. They turned to Jongwoon and saw that he was completely pink to the tip of his ears. “Oh god,” Jungsoo moaned, turning to face Kibum, who nodded with a resigned face. “Jongjin!”

Jongjin ran and blinked his eyes wide and curious. “Eggnog. Jongwoon accidentally drank it.”

Jongjin wanted to throw Jongwoon out the window. This wasn’t the time to get drunk! Accidentally or not! But there was no helping it. It was done now and Jongwoon was tipsy at the best, but Jongjin wasn’t going to get his hopes up. He took Jongwoon’s arm and dragged him to the back door.

Kyuhyun appeared not a moment later, with another mug with steaming hot black coffee. “Thanks, Kyuhyun.” Jongjin said, placing the mug under Jongwoon’s nose so that he could smell the caffeine, hoping that it would wake him up a little.

They watched as their jaws dropped and Jongwoon drank the mug in one go again. “God, such a baby brother.” Jongjin murmured, taking the mug from Jongwoon’s hands. He slapped Kyuhyun on the shoulder. “I’ll just get a glass of water and an aspirin. Hyung might have a headache when he wakes up.”

Jongjin informed the res t of the members that he was fine. And that maybe the bringing down the mistletoe would be a good idea. They all nodded and went back to eating and chatting. As he grabbed a glass and began filling it with lukewarm water, there was a loud “Hyung!” and a subsequent crash and thud.

Everyone looked at one another, then at Jongjin, then to the doors of the back room. They ran and squeezed themselves to see what happened. Jongjin got to enter the room. He held his head with his palm, thinking that maybe he needed the aspirin instead.

Because the situation was ultimately this: Jongwoon, drunk and half asleep, jumped onto Kyuhyun, arms wrapped around his neck. He had a smile on his face, not that they could see because Jongwoon was kissing Kyuhyun on the lips. Jongjin looked around and saw that there was another mistletoe.

Jongjin pushed the rest out and warned Kyuhyun over his shoulder. “My brother’s a kissing drunk. Take care of him for me, would you?” He didn’t bother watching Kyuhyun sputtering as Jongwoon was already asleep on his chest, but looked down softly and Jongwoon’s hair. Jongjin smiled at the scene.

Usually, Jongjin didn’t mind winters.


A/N: Frankly, this didn’t go how I planned. I might re-write this when this is over. This was by far, the longest I’ve ever written! That goes to show how much of this was word vomit. I liked the title and the plot, too. I’ll definitely re-write this. Also, since I wrote about Ahra for one prompt, I had to write Jongjin for one, too. So that’s 15 down! 5 more to go!