Falling

Summer Fever (hiatus)

    I shifted slightly next to Tao, sitting on the end of the couch comfortably. The boys were all stretched out on the furniture or carpet, minus Suho and Kai, and we were finishing up our movie. I felt something flick against my head and saw Tao had his wolf ears again, changing while he was asleep. I smiled, wrapping my arms around him and feeling the familiar way his warm muscles flexed. 
    I rested my cheek on his stomach just below his ribs, smelling his cologne on his loose t-shirt. Tao stirred a little, raising his hand to gently my hair away from my face. He kept gently brushing my hair away, his hand finally resting on my head when he fell back asleep. I tightened my fingers in his shirt, letting his arm drift down to my back and pull me close. 
    We both fell asleep like that, only waking when Chanyeol gently picked me up. Tao woke up too, whining slightly like a puppy and looking up when he felt me leave. Chanyeol set me down carefully, smiling at me widely. 
    "Come on, I'll walk you home." Chanyeol said. Tao stood up briefly, kissing me and falling right back to sleep when he plunked back down on the couch. 
    "Okay, let's go." I smiled, laughing at how sleepy Tao was. The heat really gets to you, even at night. 
    "Bye, Sujin!" The boys chorused, and I waved goodbye. They were setting up to watch a horror movie, and I was glad Tao was asleep. He might be a tough werewolf now, but after a few minutes of a horror movie he was a whimpering puppy. 
    "So, how's your summer going?" Chanyeol asked, walking with me down the street. I smiled, enjoying the somewhat cooler air. 
    "Really well. What about yours? How are you and Baekhyun?" I asked. Chanyeol blushed slightly at the mention of his boyfriend, but grinned nonetheless. 
    "We're good. I can see you and Tao are great." Chanyeol said slyly. I smacked his chest lightly, grumbling again about his height. I was only 5'1", and my six foot tall friend towered over me. 
    "How's Jia and your father?" Chanyeol asked. I shrugged, my father being on a business trip and Jia always busy in the kitchen. 
    "They're good. Both busy, but I think Jia's happy to be back in Busan. She missed it while we were in Seoul." I said. Chanyeol nodded, walking with me in front of my house. 
    "Sweet dreams, I'll see you tomorrow!" Chanyeol called, waving his hand at me. I waved back, smiling, and went inside. 
    "Hey!" Jia called, sitting in front of the tv and eating ice cream. I sat down, taking her spoon and having some of my own. 
    "Hey. How are you?" I asked. Jia smiled dreamily at the screen and I saw her favorite actor was on. 
    "I am great." Jia said, still staring at Lee Byun-hun. I chuckled, ignoring her and saying goodnight. I went upstairs, taking a quick shower and falling into bed. 
    I slipped off into dreamland, so much happier. This was going to be the best summer of my life. I wasn't going to have to move or leave anyone behind, I had amazing friends, and a boyfriend who loved me. Yes, it was going to be perfect. 

    I woke up slowly, feeling a warm weight next to me. I opened my eyes, looking up and smiling at Tao sitting on the end of the bed, watching me. I sat up, yawning, and he smiled. His ears flicked, and I knew he was trying to be cute. 
    "Come to the movies with me?" Tao asked, giving me a hopeful smile. He flicked his ears several times, knowing I couldn't resist when he did that. 
    "Fine! But keep your voice down. And stop sneaking in through my window!" I said, motioning for him to leave. Tao obediently went back outside so I could get ready, smiling at me. 
    I put on some simple cutoffs and a thin t-shirt. I slipped some sandals on my feet and packed my swimsuit in my bag, just in case. I went outside, smiling when Tao appeared next to me. He switched his ears back and wrapped his arm around my shoulders, planting a gentle kiss on my forehead.  
    "How did you sleep, princess?" Tao asked, giving me a sweet eye smile. I smiled back, kissing the side of his jaw gently. 
    "Great! What about you?" I asked. Tao grasped my hand gently and I twined our fingers together. 
    "Baekhyun put on a horror movie and woke me up right at the scary part." Tao pouted. I smiled, and he gave me a playful shove. "It's not funny!"
    "No, it's funny!" I said. Tao rolled his eyes, walking with me to the movie theater. He bought our tickets and we settled in the back row. We spent more time kissing than watching, but I have to say it was a pretty good movie. 
    "Now what?" Tao asked. I sighed, taking in the hot summer air and exiting the movie theater. I swung our hands between us, biting my lip in thought. 
    "Wanna go back to your place for ice cream?" I asked. Tao smiled, nodding enthusiastically and almost pulling me off my feet when he took off. I ran after him, trying to keep up, and we reached Kris' house quickly.
    "Fine something good to watch, I'll serve the ice cream!" Tao called, racing off to the kitchen. I smiled, laughing at how enthusiastic my puppy got at a sweet treat. 
    I made my way to the living room, surprised to see Kai stretched out on the couch. He was watching tv, but looked up when I came in. He waved, his cheeks still a little flushed, and I sat down next to him. 
    "How're you feeling?" I asked, patting his shoulder. Kai shrugged, focusing on me and shrugging. 
    "I'm okay. Hyungs made me stay here for the day while they went out." Kai pouted. I smiled, checking his forehead and finding he still had a small temperature. 
    "Is Lay here?" I asked, sitting back and grabbing the remote. Kai nodded, clearing his throat, and blinked slowly. 
    "Lay hyung is playing basketball with Kris hyung and Chanyeol hyung." Kai said, his voice still raspy. Tao appeared, balancing three bowls of ice cream and handing one to Kai. 
    "I heard you talking, eat up." Tao said gently. Kai thanked him, munching on the cool dessert. I thought Tao was a genius, this should help Kai's fever nicely. 
    "What did you find?" Tao asked. I shrugged, handing him the remote and letting him look. He eventually settled on Running Man, perking up when we heard a shout from outside. 
    "Hyungs are playing basketball, you can go join them." Kai said tiredly. Tao nodded, standing up and giving me a kiss. 
    "I'll be back later." Tao said. I nodded, seeing Kai's eyes drop lower with exhaustion until he finally fell asleep. 
    I watched Running Man for several hours, feeling my own eyes start to drop. I fell asleep too, slipping off into gentle dreams. Someone woke me with a gentle shake, and I saw Lu Han and Sehun standing in front of me. 
    "Hey." I said softly, not wanting to wake Kai. They waved, retreating to the kitchen to put groceries away. I stood up to help them, starting to make a large lunch for all the boys when they got home. 
    Lu Han helped me make soup, and it was an hour before it was ready. When it finally was, we spooned the soup into bowls and laid them out on the dining room table. Sehun went outside to bring the boys in from playing, and they walked in sweaty and laughing. 
    "Come eat!" I called. I saw Kai's head lift up from the couch, and watched from the doorway as he stood up carefully and walked over. He closed his eyes for a second, inhaling deeply, and smiled. 
    "Smells really good, noona!" Kai exclaimed. I smiled, turning around to walk back in and heard a thump. I turned back around, finding Kai sprawled on the floor, his eyes closed. 
    "Kai!" I exclaimed, rushing forward and lifting his head up. "Kris! Yixing!" I was so upset I slipped back into Lay's real name, bringing them running. 
    "What's going on?" Kris demanded. I shook my head and Lay knelt down next to me. He checked that Kai was breathing and his temperature. 
    "Kris, help me get him upstairs. Call Suho." Lay said, in that always calm voice of his. Kris nodded, gently picking up Kai and carrying him to his room. Lay and I followed, Lay shooing Kris out. 
    "Kai, what's going on with you?" Lay muttered to himself, shaking the younger boy gently. Kai didn't stir, his face completely relaxed, and Lay tried his healing. 
    "Did he say anything to you?" Lay asked. I shook my head, watching as green fire wrapped around Kai's body, making him glow. 
    "No, he didn't say anything! What's wrong with him?" I asked. Lay shook his head, sitting back after a few minutes and looking confused. 
    "As far as I can tell, nothing. He hasn't been injected with anything, he's not sick, he hasn't been hurt. He's perfectly healthy, except for this damn fever." Lay shook his head, looking up when Suho burst through the door. The vampire looked out of breath and worried as hell, his hair a mess and his eyes finding Kai immediately. 
    "What's wrong?" Suho panted. Lay explained, and looked thoughtful afterwards. 
    "Suho, hold out your hand." Lay said. Suho did as he asked, holding his hand out. Lay placed it on Kai's forehead, drawing water out of Suho's hand and onto Kai's face. 
    "Stay here and keep him cool, I'm gonna find Xiumin." Lay said, standing up. I followed him out of the room, and saw Tao watching from the hallway. I walked over to him, and he hugged me gently from behind. 
    "I wish there was something I could do to help." Tao murmured sadly in my ear. I looked back at him, hearing the slight trace of longing in his voice. 
    "Do you regret giving up your power?" I asked. Tao shook his head behind me immediately, holding me tighter. 
    "Never. I'd rather have you than anything else." Tao said. I believed him, and sighed in relief when Suho poked his head out of Kai's room. 
    "Tell Lay he's waking up." Suho asked, going back inside. Lay appeared a few seconds later with Xiumin in tow, and I filled him in. 
    Lay went inside, coming out a few seconds later much happier. He shot me and Tao a thumbs up, going back inside. I peeked in, and saw Kai was resting peacefully now. 
    "What was wrong with him?" Tao asked Suho. The leader shrugged, giving Kai one last concerned glance. Lay was sitting with him now, and Suho knew the werewolf would keep Kai safe. 
    "I don't know. Lay said it could've just been the fever making him light-headed. I don't know, he's never fainted because of a fever before." Suho said worriedly. I grabbed his arm gently, giving him a reassuring look. 
    "Kai will be fine. Lay knows what he's doing. Come on, let's go eat lunch." I said. Suho nodded, following Tao and me down to the kitchen. The thing was, I wasn't so sure Lay really knew what was going on. 
    Lunch was quieter than normal, everyone thinking about Kai, and I snuck off with Tao after. We stayed in a living room no one really uses and sat down on the couch. 
    "Do you think he'll be okay?" I asked. Tao nodded reassuringly after thinking a minute. 
    "Kai's strong. Besides, he has Lay. I'm sure this was a one time thing. Don't worry." Tao said, giving me a gentle kiss. I knew he was right, but I still worried, fearing this would happen again. 
    It turns out I was right to worry. It would happen again, and not just to Kai. It would happen to the ones I loved most...and there was nothing I could do to stop it.     

Yes, I'm definitely going to play with and crush your feels during this story. Please anticipate me! *evil laugh* What's wrong with Kai? Comment and tell me what you think it is, if you get it right I'll give you 10 karma points and a mention! 

Everyone please comment, subscribe and upvote! It makes me so happy!

Bai bai!

Kamsamnida!

—Sujin