Heat

Summer Fever (hiatus)

  Once the foxes had left, Tao and I checked the time. 
    "Time to go?" I asked. Tao nodded regretfully, grabbing the blanket and picnic basket. I helped him, tucking the blanket in the basket, and we started walking back towards town. 
    "Still on for the movie tonight?" Tao asked. I linked our hands together, swinging our arms in between us, and nodded. 
    "You bet! Jia said I just have to be back before midnight." I said. Tao nodded, leading the way towards the main road. We walked along, Tao finally changing his ears back, and stayed quiet until we reached Kris' giant mansion. 
    "Is the clan home?" I asked. Tao nodded, punching in the gate code and walking through the front door with me. 
    "Yeah, come see. I think they're playing video games." Tao said, going to put away the dishes from our picnic. 
    After the little incident a few weeks that involved everyone almost dying, (insert sarcasm here) the vampires had been invited to move into Kris' giant mansion and stay with the wolves. They had happily accepted, and now the pack and clan were inseparable. It was hard to imagine they had hated each other recently. 
    I walked through the familiar halls, still amazed at the enormity of Kris' house. There were 12 bedrooms, two kitchens, a dining room, three living rooms, six full bathrooms, a basketball court outside, and a ballroom. Who has a freaking ballroom in their house?! Kris, apparently.
    I soon reached the largest living room with a massive flat screen in it, and saw nine boys sprawled on the couch, chairs and carpeting the floor. The larger werewolves took up more space, and I saw Xiumin, Kris and Lu Han had been banished to the floor. Lay and Chen were still on the couch, along with D.O., Baekhyun, Chanyeol, and Sehun. I was amazed they all fit, considering how tall the youngest vampire was. Still, Sehun had his long legs draped over Lu Han's back, using the boy on the floor like a footrest. 
    Lu Han didn't seem to mind; all the boys were hammering on the controllers in their hands, staring at the screen. Chanyeol looked over my way with a smile, and Kris did too.
    "Hey, Sujin!" Chanyeol said. The others boys all rushed to leave the couch and floor to wrap me up in a hug. In the weeks I'd known them, these boys had become like my brothers, and I felt safe with them around. 
    "Hey, guys! Where're Suho and Kai?" I asked. Baekhyun shrugged, and Suho took that moment to walk into the room. 
    "Hey, Sujin!" Suho said, somewhat calmer than his friends. He hugged me gently, looked over at Lay. 
    "Hey, could you go take a look at Kai?" Suho asked. Lay immediately nodded quietly, standing up with a small confused smile. 
    "What's wrong?" Lay asked. Suho shrugged, giving Lay an apologetic look. 
    "Just another fever. I want to make sure nothing serious is wrong, maybe you could help?" Suho asked, looking sorry to bother the werewolf. Lay nodded with a smile, patting Suho's shoulder gently. 
    "It's no trouble at all, I'm happy to look after my brothers." Lay said sweetly, walking out of the room. Suho smiled, glad Lay wasn't bothered and that he accepted the vampire clan as brothers. 
    "Lay, I'll help!" I called, walking after him. The thin shifter smiled at me, his chocolate brown hair swishing in his eyes. We walked down the hall comfortably, the quiet male making me feel peaceful. I enjoyed the cool air conditioner blowing through the hallways, so different from the heavy air outside. 
    "Do you think anything's wrong with Kai?" I asked. Lay shook his head, looking unconcerned, and I relaxed. 
    "You know how often he gets fevers, I'm sure it's nothing." Lay said, confident in his healing abilities. I nodded, not wanting anything to happen to the sweet second youngest vampire. 
    "Thanks for teaching me all this." I said, smiling at Lay. Lay smiled back, glad I appreciated the lessons he had been giving me on how to doctor people. 
    "No trouble at all, it's nice having someone to teach." Lay said. We reached Kai's door and Lay knocked softly, opening it slowly. 
    "Kai?" Lay said gently. We both walked inside, and I saw Kai lying asleep on his bed. His limbs were spread all over the place, his thin t-shirt sticking to him with sweat. Kai's brown hair was wet, slicked away from his forehead, and beads of sweat ran down his face.
    "Kai?" Lay walked forward quickly, looking a little worried now. He placed his hand on the younger's forehead, yanking it away almost immediately. 
    "Sujin, get me some water and rags. Hurry, but don't tell anyone else." Lay said calmly, a trace of worry in his eyes. I nodded, rushing to the kitchen. I pulled a stack of rags out of a cupboard and grabbed a large bowl we use for popcorn, filling it to the top with the water. 
    I ran back up to Kai's bedroom, seeing Lay sitting on the bed and gently forcing glowing green light towards Kai. As soon as it reached the younger, the light fizzled, like something was snuffing it out. Lay frowned, looking up with relief when he saw me. 
    "Please, come here." Lay said. I did, handing him the bowl and setting down the rags on the bed. Lay dipped a rag in the water, laying it on Kai's forehead, then put a second rag against his throat. He kept draping rags all over the younger boy, placing them on his wrists, neck, and even drawing up his shirt to place some on his stomach. 
    "We'll see if that cools him down." Lay said, lifting up Kai's head gently and putting the remaining water in the bowl to Kai's lips. I nodded, watching Lay carefully tipping the water into Kai's mouth. Kai's eyes fluttered, his throat moving when he swallowed, but he choked the water back up. 
    "Now what?" I asked. Lay paused to think for a second, then picked up Kai gently. I followed him when he took Kai to the bathroom and started the shower. He stripped off Kai's shirt and carefully lowered into the bathtub of ice-cold water. 
    "Ask Suho for some blood." Lay said, making sure to keep Kai's head from going under. I nodded, going off to find Suho. 
    "Suho?" I asked, seeing the man standing in the kitchen. He turned, and I explained what was going on. Suho immediately opened the refrigerator, pulling out a cup with a straw and walking upstairs with me. He looked slightly ashamed, tilting his body so I couldn't see the cup of blood, but I took it from him. 
    "It's okay." I said. Suho gave me a grateful look, and I went with him to the bathroom. Lay had pulled Kai out of the bathtub, and Kai was awake now. 
    "Kai? How are you feeling?" Suho asked, kneeling down on the floor. Kai looked around, his eyes still slightly glassy, and I handed him the cup. 
    "I'm okay." Kai rasped, drinking. Suho nodded, and Lay checked Kai's temperature. He tried his healing again, and this time his healing was absorbed immediately by Kai's body. 
    "That was weird." Lay muttered, shaking his head. I nodded, but Lay shrugged. Suho gave him a questioning look, but Lay shrugged again.    
    "His body was probably rejecting my healing because it didn't recognize it at first. He was too hot to recognize that I was friendly, and his body protected himself from foreign magic." Lay said. 
    "Good point. Kai, are you sure you're okay now?" Suho asked. Kai nodded, standing up shakily, and Lay helped support him. 
    "His fever's going down. Kai, just sleep for a while, okay?" Lay said. Kai nodded, letting Lay put him in his bed—still fully in soaking wet clothes—and falling asleep immediately. 
    "That was a scare." Suho said. Lay nodded, and I followed them into the hallway. "That's the worst he's been." 
    "Could've been caused by anything from a lack of sleep to stress. I'm sure he'll be fine now. Call me if you need anything." Lay said. Suho nodded, and I walked off with Lay. Suho returned to Kai's room to make sure he was okay, and I found Tao in the kitchen.
    "Hungry?" Tao asked, offering me some of whatever he was eating. I shook my head, grabbing a bag of popcorn and putting it into the microwave. The boys would be hungry, and the movie was almost ready to start. 
    I waited by the microwave, smiling when Tao's arms s around my waist from behind. He rested his head on my shoulder, his heart beating steadily through the fabric of his shirt, and put a gentle kiss on my cheek. 
    "How's Kai?" Tao asked softly. I smiled, glad Kai was okay, and reached up to take the popcorn out of the microwave. 
    "He's fine." I said. Tao smiled in satisfaction, turning me around. 
    "I love you." Tao said, smiling down at me. I smiled too, kissing him gently on the lips. 
    "I love you too." I said, looking up at him. His eyes flashed green, and he kissed me again. I wrapped my arms around his shoulders, kissing him deeply, and a voice interrupted us. 
    "Do I smell popcorn?" Sehun wandered into the kitchen, covering his eyes and jumping back out. 
    "My innocence!" Sehun cried. Tao rolled his eyes, breaking the kiss, and swatted at Sehun. 
    "Get out of here!" Tao cried. Sehun grabbed the bowl, smiling at us, and Tao looked back down at me. "Now, where were we?"