The Meeting

The Reason

             The nights belonged to Min Ah. They were the freedom she always longed for, after those long tiring days in the prison of fakeness and lies. Standing under the dark sky was her way of expressing her honest feelings and sadness, and freeing her tears.Night, to other people, might be only a couple of hours of sleep, of romance with their partner, or of studies before an exam.But to Min Ah, it had a different meaning. It was her only refuge to be her true self, all bruised and broken. Despite the ugliness that she showed at night, it was still relaxing and comfortable to her. Pain was all what her tears held, but she always felt better after crying. Not because she let out what her heart had been chaining inside, but because it was a symbol of her truthfulness to her self, and to the shadows of night. Her life at night was an equation of the love she had for her mother; her one and only sun. She always roamed in the streets, searching for the of her life. Math stands on logic, but logically her nights didn't make any sense. Because that didn't exist, which was something she always denied. She believed in the presence of her mother, that her sun never disappeared. But it was time for her to realize the reality and to accept the truth. The moment Min Ah would see things as what they truly were, was the moment she would realize that the never existed, and that if it ever had existed, then it wasn't her mother. And it all came to her in the form of a man, of a brand new love. His appearance in her life was an invasion of her privacy and it made the nights their shared property. And the start was tonight.

        The curtains of darkness covered the sky, and those small diamonds shone brightly above the heads of the night people, watching two specific souls as they walked to each other, and looking forwards to their first encounter and to the start of the story. But they could only wait, because it was all between the hands of fate, and time. At any second, one of them could have had some undesired thoughts flipping in their head and they could have walked back, leaving the story without even a beginning. But they were fated to brush whatever thoughts they may have had in mind, and walk closer to the other. Time was the only factor left to play its game, and the clock ticked as they stepped closer and closer.

         Seung Hyun drove on the red carpet set by life, be it fate or time, to the night club, completely unaware of the danger in the end of that path. He stopped his car a few meters away from the entrance, in fear of being recognized. Like usual, he was covered in black from head to toe as he rested his arm out of the window, glancing from time to time at the side mirror and then through the glass in front of him, while diving deeply in his seat for the few passengers to not see him clearly. Nearly fifteen minutes had passed and he was still waiting in his car. Min Ah had attempted to make him wait even longer, to show him that she wasn't eager. But her patience was like a feather thrown back and forth by the air, since she wasn't used to faking anything at night, so she finally decided it was time to meet him, after only fifteen minutes of sitting on a tool in a diner nearby.

        Walking down the legendary road, she looked around her , and ahead of her, looking for Seung Hyun, but all she could see was an old dusty car a few steps from her, and two women walking in the opposite direction of her, heading to the club. Catching no sight of him, she decided to call him, again breaking the rules and mixing the laws of day and night. She grinned as she dialed his number, remembering her unexpectedly successful attempt to get information related to Seung Hyun from the journalist. Her plan was to contact his manager, or some infamous friends of his, by using Park Soo as a bridge to reach her goal. But things went better than she had intended so she ended up with the phone number of the star of the show. "I'm here." She informed, a few seconds after Seung Hyun picked up the phone, as she scanned her surroundings for any trace of him. But she frowned in confusion when he hung up on her. It took her by surprise that many thoughts came rushing to her head, and some of them made a shiver run down her spine. Does he not need to discuss things with me anymore? Is he planning on revealing his relationship with her to his fans? What about me? Min Ah needed Seung Hyun badly to get the job. After the scandalous incident that happened the year before, her father lowered the percentage of him agreeing to her working under him to a few numbers above the zero, so she knew that easily giving him the memory card wasn't what would make him accept. That's why she decided to take the stormy and rocky path that included Seung Hyun, which was more convincing. But at that moment, his act of hanging up on her and the thought of her losing such a chance was scaring her. 

        She was brought out of her train of thoughts when the door of the passenger's seat of the vehicle with the ugly colors was thrown open strongly, causing her to look up from her phone immediately, taken aback by the sudden noise. She stood behind the car's tail waiting for someone to come out or get in, but since nobody did she shrugged it off and tried to call Seung Hyun again. But the close noise of a horn coming from the car in front of her made her raise her eyebrows in confusion, as she made her way to the open door. Min Ah stood beside the door for a few seconds before bowing down in hesitation to check the insides of the car. Her eyes caught sight of the familiar face of the man in black, and quickly realization downed on her, as she tried hard to stop her happiness and smile from showing. 

          Seung Hyun raised his finger and moved it to his direction, mentioning for Min Ah to get in, looking at the glass in front of him. She obeyed to him and jumped inside as she commented sarcastically while closing the door. "Nice car." She didn't get an answer from Seung Hyun since he ignored her, started the engine and drove off. He rented that old car, because obviously it wouldn't attract attention and because nobody would guess that a famous and rich idol like Seung Hyun was driving such a cheap vehicle. After not getting any kind of reaction from him, Min Ah sighed and started asking in utter curiosity "How did you know it is me with whom you're supposed to meet?" Seung Hyun pointed at the phone on her lap with his index, always not glancing at her way, and she frowned in puzzlement. She blinked at her phone a few times then an "Oh." was formed in her lips, finally getting his message. Seung Hyun had suspected the lady standing behind the tail of the car, as he stared at her from the side mirror, and the stimulation of her using her phone and him getting the call confirmed his suspicions, and her putting the phone away from her ear once he hung up on her was even a better confirmation. 

          Min Ah wondered about why he wasn't talking to her nor looking at her. Did he recognize me? Before turning her plan into actions, she was aware that her past files were going to be a burden, and an obstacle between her and her goal. So she was slightly afraid that it would affect Seung Hyun's decisions. The thoughts kept raining over her head that she didn't notice that the car was pulled to the side of the road, and after a while of only staring at the dusty glass in front of them, Seung Hyun finally decided to start a conversation by asking "What do you want this time?" He recognized her, the devil image of hers was printed in his brain and the memories were still fresh and new after only nearly a year. His voice was emotionless, just like his facial expression. His gaze was blank and his face was like a dead person's, only that the eyes were open. And again, he wasn't looking at her. Min Ah stared at him, feeling drops of worry and fear mix up with her blood as she simply answered him "I want to help." The picture of Seung Hyun beside her was seriously worrying her, especially that he was like a statue, nothing moving in his body expect for his eyelids that blinked every few seconds. "Just like how you helped him?" He questioned, no hint of annoyance or anger was showing as his lips moved, but she knew he was being sarcastic. "No, but that's why I want to help you." She lied, her heart beating faster in anxiety. She felt like a high school student skipping their class, or a patient skipping their therapy session, since she was also pushing her truthfulness sessions, that usually took place at night, to a farther date. And above all, she was doing totally the opposite of what she was used to doing at such an hour.She was lying. 

        Seung Hyun still didn't show any emotion as he demanded clarification "You mean?" Min Ah blinked at him a few times, preparing her self to tell the full lie, then she said "Well, I've been thinking for a while now of a way to get your forgiveness, and the others' too if possible." She stopped to take a deep breath before continuing "Somehow I got this chance, and I thought that by helping you, you might see the change in me, and forgive me perhaps."  Nothing came from Seung Hyun, not a glare, not a clenched fist, not even a mocking laugh. He simply asked as if asking the most normal thing "You expect me to believe this?" To Seung Hyun, Min Ah, though he didn't remember her name, was one of the few people in the top of his black list, so he was being careful around her. Not to mention that what she said seemed like an obvious lie to him. 

        Min Ah sighed for the tenth time that night, trying to ignore the weirdness of her nerves that were bumping to her skin, and trying to calm and steady her heartbeat. It was all it took her to realize that the honesty at night was a drug she was addicted to and that gave her the strength to lie and be fake the next day. "That's the truth." She relaxed in her seat, and crossed her legs as she continued her show. "But, you know, it'd be your loss if you don't accept my help, since, I guess, currently I'm the person that can help you the most and in the easiest way in such a situation." At some point, she found her self studying the side of his face, and the strong line of his jaw. But also, she was wondering why he was as emotionless and why he avoided looking at her, or having eye contact. "Do you have the pictures?" Seung Hyun asked, trying to know the most amount of information possible about how she could help him. Min Ah had the memory card, but she wasn't going to reveal it to him. That wasn't part of her plan, since confessing such a thing would end her game quicker than she desired. "I don't." She barely answered without her voice coming out shaky. 

        "Then how do you plan on helping me?" He wondered, and Min Ah was starting to get annoyed by his successive questions without even one confirmation or denial answer. But she tried hard to keep her nerves on check and seem the slightest bothered by his behavior, or presence. "The journalist who caught you last night is a friend of mine." Seung Hyun understood that she tried to say that she would convince him. But he believed otherwise, because, first of all, there was a possibility the journalist wasn't her friend, and secondly, even if he was, it would be extremely hard to convince someone to give up on their source of money just for a friend. Seeing that he didn't answer, or rather ask another question of his, she added "Believe you already have the pictures, because you'll have them after a few days." After a fine while of thinking, Seung Hyun decided to agree, not that he would let his guard down around her, but it was true that it would be only his loss if he refused her offer, plus he thought there was nothing to lose. Little did he know, a lot would be lost and a lot would change. "I might agree after you confirm your friendship with the journalist." Despite the uneasiness she felt whenever she looked up at the dark sky, she smiled in amusement as she came to realize that those next few days were going to be full with much more drama and action than the last two years, excluding the unfortunate incident. How she was going to confirm that nonexistent friendship was something she would think of when at ease and comfort, and not next to a robot at night while lying. But anyway she murmured in a strong tone. "Okay."