The Dance

Just an Average Girl

Lu Han’s POV 

As I was walking down the stairs to eat my breakfast, my phone vibrated. I looked at my phone and saw a text message

Bring the decorations we made to school so we can start decorating the gym. Sehun and I will meet you at school to help carry them. (Don’t rip anything or be late or else you will feel my wrath, but don’t break anything and don’t be late.)
-Mi Young 

I smiled as I sat down in the dining seat. Mrs.Park, the maid, set the table for my breakfast. 

Mrs. Park worked for my family before I was born. She was the main person who took care of me when my parents weren’t at home, which is often. She was like a second mother to me. 

“Pancakes! Thanks Mrs. Park.” I quickly ate my pancakes and drained it with milk. 

“Mr Oh can you put all the decorations in the car?” I asked my butler, Mr. Oh. 

“Yes Master Lu Han.” Mr oh answered and quickly went to get the decorations. Mr Oh worked only for a few years but I respect him almost as much as Mrs Park.

 “Someone’s in a hurry today.” Mrs Park said. 

“Yeah, bye Mrs Park.” I waved to Mrs Park as she bowed. 

“Someone’s in a good mood.” Mrs Park mumbled. 

I got my backpack and went in the car where Mr Oh was waiting. 

“Ready Master Lu Han?” Mr Oh asked.

“Yes Mr Oh.”

 

Mi Young’s POV

“JAE YOUNG GIVE ME BACK MY PHONE!!!!” I screamed as my brother, Jae Young snatched my phone away after I texted Lu Han.

“Oh my god. Lu Han, Sehun, Song Min, Hold on isn’t Lu Han the one who is the new student that is really popular? Are you still following Sehun like a puppy everywhere he goes? Who’s Song Min?” Jae Young asked as he went through my recent texts.

“Yes, no, a friend who I ask about homework. JAE YOUNG!!! UMMA JAE YOUNG WON’T GIVE ME MY PHONE BACK!!!!” I yelled as I tried to grab the phone from Jae Young as he held it in the air. 

I’m not short, I’m average. It’s just that Jae Young is a giant, a giant that plays soccer. ok. Not that tall but tall enough where I can’t reach the phone.

“UMMMA, Mi Young is dating a Lu Han. ” Jae Young said as my mom walked in.

“Jae Young stop teasing your sister and give her phone back. Mi Young you didn’t tell me.” My mom said. 

“NO it’s not like that I texted him to bring the decorations to school so we could start decorating.” I said defending myself. 

“Right sweetie. Hurry up and eat so you won’t be late.” my Mom said and then winked at me. 

"UGHHH.” I groaned.

I sat down at the breakfast table. I stuffed the toast in my mouth and dunked it with orange juice. 

“Mimi, I heard from JJ that you’re dating a boy.” My father said while Jae Young laughed. I kicked him in the knee from under the table.  He quickly stopped because of the pain. 

“No we aren’t dating. we are working on a project together with Sehun.” I answered and glared at Jae Young. 

“Good.You're too young to date, maybe when you're at the least a college graduate you can date.” My dad said and talked to my mom. I groaned inside“Honey I’m going to work early today because there’s a early meeting.” He got his briefcase and gave Jae Young a fist bump. He gave me a kiss on the forehead and gave a kiss to my mom on the lips. He went to the garage and started his car and drove away. 

“I’m gonna go, too.” I said and gave my mom a hug and glared at Jae Young.

I walked for about 3 minutes and Jae Young caught up to me. ugh.

“Mimi you are gonna tell me when you’re dating right? Jae Young asked.

I ignored him.

“Right?” Jae Young asked again. 

“Right JJ.” I answered. I can’t get mad at Jae Young. Even though he’s annoying, mean, and always tease me, he’s still my big brother.

 

Lu Han’s POV


Mr Oh drove in the school parking lot and parked

“Mr Oh, It’s alright you don’t need to get out the car. I could carry it.” I told Mr Oh.

“OK Master Lu han.” Mr Oh answered.

I went to the trunk and carried the decorations. I walked halfway and saw Mi Young… with a guy. Mi Young had her usual messy hair.

“Mi Young, help me carry the decorations.” I said without thinking. Mi Young and Sehun turned around and walked to me.

“LU HAN don’t you dare drop them.” Mi Young said while walking over.

Jae Young next to her gave me a who-are-you and if-you-hurt-her-you’re-dead look. 

Mi Young grabbed the snowman and called Sehun over, when she saw Sehun walking past them a few minutes later.  Sehun held a bag on snowflakes and we walked into the school gym where the dance would be held.

So for the next hour, Sehun, Mi Young and I along with the other pairs in the class started to decorate. 

The gym looked dazzling. We had finished decorating at last. There was a glittering disco ball in the middle and all our decorations made the place look like a winter wonderland. 

Now that we were done, we still had another hour left before the dance started. Just enough time to get ready.

We rode in Sehun's car back home since he brought his car.  

 

Mi Young's POV

 

OKAY DEEP BREATHS, DEEP BREATHS.
I was pacing around my room after Sehun had dropped me off. I have one hour to look perfect for Sehun. 

I quickly took a shower and blow dried my hair. I combed through my usually messy hair and it actually looked neat for the first time. I went to my closet to pick out a dress, but there weren't many. 

I sighed. My usually wardrobe was pretty dull.
Suddenly, there was a knock on the door to my room.

"Sweety, I have a present for you." called my mom.

"Come in! The door's unlocked." I yelled from my bathroom. The door opened and my mom stepped in happily.

"What is it?" I asked. She smiled and handed me a box. I blinked at her for an explanation.

"Okay, the other day my friends and I went shopping at the mall... and I stumbled upon something for you!" My Mom explained.

"Christmas is coming soon, so just think of it as an early Christmas present. Oh, and DON'T tell your brother I got you an early gift. He would go hysterical if he found out." My Mom continued.

I took off the lid to reveal a baby blue colored dress with accessories. 

I gave a huge gasp.

"Mom! THANK YOU!!!" I gave her a hug. Was this a coincidence, or was it just me?

"Mi Young-ah, go and have fun tonight with Sehun." She smiled at me and left my room. 

I looked inside the box and took out the dress. It looked sleeveless, but it had a transparent and lace fabric on the sleeve and lower neck area. 

I put the dress on and the dress fit me perfectly. There were accessories in the box too. There was golden white colored bracelets and necklace.

I squealed as I jumped onto my bed and laid there. Tonight was going to be perfect. Sehun would pick me up and we would go to the dance together. We'll dance to our heart's content and later he'll drive me home. Perfect plan for a perfect night.

I squealed again as I sat back up. I quickly put on the accessories and checked my reflection. I didn't do anything special with my hair since it's naturally slightly wavy. I smiled as I went down the stairs. 

Suddenly, the door bell rang. 

"COMING I YELLED." I raced down the last few steps and quickly put on my heels my mom prepared. 

I opened the door to reveal a really handsome Sehun. He was wearing a dark gray suit and white dress shirt. He smiled and I did everything in me to keep from squealing and fainting. 

"WAIT!! Picture time!!" My mother's voice rang. She ran towards the door with a camera. OH EM GEE. THIS WAS SO EMBARASSING. Sehun and I posed for a picture as my mom took it.

"Make sure you have a good time kids!" My mom told us.

Sehun turned to me.

"Ready?" Sehun asked. He smiled and held out his hand in a gentlemanly manner. I let out a giggle and I took his hand. We walked into his car and he drove off to our highschool.


Sehun parked the car in the parking lot and we both stepped out. There were many unfamiliar people since we were combining with another high school for the dance. 

 

Luhan's POV:

I looked through my clothes in closet. One side was casual and the other side was formal. You never know when my parents come back and I have to go to the meetings with them. 
I decided to wear a simple black suit with a dark blue tie. I looked in the mirror as I fixed my tie. I quickly walked down the stairs.

“Mr. Oh get the car ready.” I said. Mr. Oh walked out of the house to get the car ready. I checked my reflection in the mirror for the last time and went in the car.

I guess I looked great because the girls were squealing as I walked out of my car. I smirked before I thanked Mr. Oh for the ride and headed towards the gym for the dance.  When I walked into the gym, there already a group of people dancing and talking. 

I was about to go to the refreshments table when Hye Mi walked in front of me. She was wearing a silver dress that sparkled with her matching accessories and shoes. 

“Hey Luhan, I was wondering if you would want to dance with me later, since you don’t have a date and I don’t either.” Hye Mi shuffled and stared at me. How did she even know that I didn’t have a date? 

“Um, sorry Hye Mi. Truth is, I actually have a date, but she said she would arrive later.” I lied. Hye Mi only nodded and walked away. 

 

Hye Mi’s POV:


Right before the dance, I got over ten guys that asked me to go to the dance with them. I only declined their offer because I was saving my time for Lu Han. I knew that Lu Han would say yes. I mean, who wouldn’t? 

I made sure my dress was perfect. I had my mom buy me an Italian dress customized to fit me. I went shopping for hours to match the perfect accessories. I tried SO hard to make myself look perfect, but I didn’t need to try too hard.
 
So long story short, when Luhan came to the dance, I asked him to dance with me as my date, but he said he already had one. He ACTUALLY said “no” to a girl like me. I swear that I will see the ends of his date when I catch her.

 

Lu Han’s POV:

 

After talking to Hye Mi, I walked over to the refreshments table to get something to drink. Honestly, the only girl I wanted to dance with in this entire school was Mi Young. She wasn’t the prettiest girl, but hey, at least she’s patient enough to talk to a guy like me. I sighed as I poured myself a cup of punch. The girls near the refreshments table were giggling and squealing and I ignored them. I looked at the door to wait for Mi Young to come in at any moment now. I looked back at my drink and sipped it when the door suddenly opened. I slowly turned my head towards the door. Mi Young slowly and hesitantly walked in. I found myself holding my breath. She looked beautiful. Her hair was a beautiful mocha brown color. To my disappointment, Sehun walked in as well, holding her hand actually.

So for the next thirty minutes, I stood at the refreshments table while Mi Young and Sehun danced on the dance floor. They haven’t come to say hello until Sehun walked over to the refreshments table. Mi Young stood at the dance floor alone and danced by herself.

Sehun was pouring punch for himself and Mi Young. I was about to say hi when his attention was grabbed by another girl. I pretended I wasn’t there and eavesdropped on them. 

“Sehun? Is that you?” the strange girl asked. She was pretty, but I was pretty sure she was from the other high school joining our dance. Sehun turned to the girl and gave a confused look.

“Suzy? Bae, Suzy? Is that you?” Sehun questioned.

“Yeah! I totally forgot that you went to this high school! It’s so cool that we can have our dance together, huh? Remember when we were kids, we used to talk about wanting to dance together when we grew up?” Suzy said. She laughed and I noticed that Sehun was blushing. Were they childhood friends or something?

“Hey, do you want to dance with me? I don’t exactly have a date, so you wouldn’t mind being mine, would you?” Suzy asked. Sehun looked flustered for a second before he replied.

“I would love to be your dance partner.” Sehun said and smiled. I wanted to yell at Sehun for leaving Mi Young, his actual date just like that but I didn’t have that right.

 

Mi Young’s POV:


I noticed that Sehun went to get our drinks for awhile. I was awkwardly dancing alone when I noticed that Sehun was talking to another girl at the refreshments table. I stopped dancing to get a better look. Was she from our school? She didn’t look familiar so she probably was from the other high school. Anyways, she was really pretty, prettier than all the girls from our school. I stopped dancing and walked towards Sehun. Suddenly, he walked hand in hand with the other girl to the dance floor. I stopped in my tracks as my heart suddenly shattered. My heart thumped and I felt myself suffocating. I quickly ran out of the gym so Sehun wouldn’t notice me and couldn’t look back. I slowed to a stop when I reached an empty hallway. Tears were welling up and I couldn’t stop them. I crouched down and buried my face into my arms.

I shouldn’t have been making a big deal about this since Sehun and I were only friends, right? He only asked me to be his date as a friend, nothing else right? 

But then again, this night was supposed to be special. I’ve been crushing on Sehun for quite some time, and he finally asked me to the dance, only to find out that I would be by myself in the end.

Face it, I was just an average girl. Nothing special. 

 

Lu Han’s POV:


After I saw Sehun walk off to dance with some other girl, I saw Mi Young stand a few feet behind from where they just were at, emotionless. She had a blank expression, and suddenly, she turned around and ran out of the room.

My instincts told me to go after her. Maybe it was just a feeling of sympathy, but I trailed after her. 

I pushed the gym door open and ran down the hallway. Mi Young was a really fast runner compared to most girls he knew, or, that I was just slow. Suddenly, Mi Young stopped running and stood there like a ghost. I watched as she bent down and hid her face into her arms as I heard sobs.

For the next few minutes, Mi Young just stayed in that position without moving. I walked over and tapped her on the shoulder.

“Hey Mi Young.” I said. She ignored me. Either she’s not talking to me or she didn’t hear me. 

“Mi Young-ah.” I said a little louder. Mi Young suddenly turned around to face me and stood up as she wiped her tears away.

“Huh, oh hi Lu Han,” she said as she looked up. The Mi Young I saw never looked so sad, and that panged me in the chest a little.

“Mi Young, are you going to stay at the dance?” I asked cautiously.

“No.” was all she said. She sighed and wiped her tears away. 

Suddenly, I came up with a great idea. 

“Okay, good.” I smiled and grabbed her hand before I pulled her outside of the school. Mi Young was struggling to let go but I had a tight grip. We kept on walking until we reached the school entrance. 

“W-Where are we going?” Mi Young asked. She looked confused as she looked up at me. I smiled as we kept walking.

“To the ice cream store,” I said naturally. I grabbed her hand and held it in mine as we kept on walking. Mi Young only nodded her head and didn’t say another word. A familiar ice cream shop came into view.

 

Mi Young’s POV:


Luhan dragged me into the ice cream store and I didn’t hesitate too much to follow him. I didn’t want to be in that stupid dance anymore. Luhan held my hand as I entered the ice cream store and my stomach gave a growl.

Man, I was hungry. I looked at all the delicious flavors and I suddenly felt happier. Ice cream wasn’t exactly a meal, but hey, it was still food. 

Luhan was watching me but I didn’t say anything. I didn’t like someone else seeing me in this vulnerable state. I felt weak and I didn’t like that feeling.

“Mi Young, what flavor do you want?” Luhan asked. 

I remained silent. I didn’t want Luhan to buy me food. I’d feel like I would have to pay him back after so I remained shut and looked out the window.

Luhan only shrugged and walked up to the cashier.

“2 Mint chocolate chips,” Luhan said to the cashier.  Luhan gave her the money and the cashier gave Luhan two ice cream cones with two round scoops of ice cream. I sat down at one of the booths by the window when Luhan sat in front of me.

“Here,” said Luhan. He handed me one of the cones. I hesitantly held it as I the ice cream. How did he know that this was my favorite flavor? I found myself to not being able to stop eating. 

I looked out the window to see that the sky was getting darker. I quickly finished my ice cream and waited for Luhan to finish his. I sighed. 

I found myself staring at Luhan as he was eating his ice cream. I quickly looked out the window before he would get suspicious.when I noticed that Luhan would glance at me but I would focus looking outside even though that wasn't much.

“Mi Young.” Lu Han said and he laughed. I looked away from the window and gave him a questioning look.

“What?” I answered, staring weirdly at her.

"You have some ice cream right here." He pointed at his cheek.

I wiped my cheek and tried to remove the ice cream stain. 
                    
“Here.” He leaned in towards my face and looked me in the eye. And then the most unexpected thing happened. 

HE KISSED MY CHEEK.
 
Half of me was like OMG LU HAN JUST KISSED MY CHEEK and the other half was like EW THIS ISNT RIGHT. I felt my cheeks heat up. He sat back down and ate his ice cream as if nothing ever happened. Darn his innocent face.

I blushed and looked out the window once again.

After we both finished our ice cream, we walked back to the front of the school silently. When we got to the parking lot, everyone was coming out of the school since the dance was probably over. 

“Mi Young do you want to ride in my car to take you home?” Lu Han asked me. 

I didn't want to talk so I only nodded. I was supposed to ride home with Sehun but apparently not. Lu Han smiled as he led me to his car.

He opened the door for me and I sat in my seat. He closed the door and got in the drivers seat. My thoughts were still flustered and I was still blushing until I looked out the window. 

Sehun was saying goodbye to the girl earlier and then he hugged her. My happy feeling drained away and I felt empty again. I haven't even hugged him once and there he is hugging another girl he just met coincidentally at a dance. I sighed as I turned back to the car. 

Luhan was staring at me again with those eyes of his and he looked sad.