Surprises

Just an Average Girl

 

 

Mi Young’s POV
 

As soon as the school bell rang, I quickly gathered my belongings and ran out my classroom. I didn’t even spare Mr. Kim nor Luhan a glance and ran off. Luhan was in front of the classroom and I brushed passed him as I ran. I ran down the soon to be busy hallway with my backpack dangling on my arm and went to another building. Sehun’s last class was History, so I would find him there. 

As I approached the unfamiliar hallway, I noticed that Sehun’s class was still not out yet, so I just stood by the classroom door awkwardly. The halls were empty and I noticed that the abandoned music room was in this hall, the same one I went into and was caught by Luhan.  I gripped on the straps of my backpack. Just thinking about Luhan wanted to make my head burst.

 Suddenly, the classroom door clicked and students started to pile out. Soon enough, Sehun strolled with his backpack hung over his broad shoulders. He was eating a lollipop and he had his ear buds on. He noticed me standing there and quickly took off his ear buds. 

“Mi Young-ah! What are you doing here?” Sehun smiled. He his lollipop happily and smiled. Darn it, he looks so innocent.

“Um,  I have something important to tell you, but not right here. Do you want to go to a cafe right now? I have something important to ask you.” I said boldly. I wanted to be serious this time because I had a very important question to ask him. I moved my messy hair away to the side of my small frame. 

“Oh, um sure… I guess. I don’t have practice today so I guess I’m okay.” replied Sehun cooly. “Let’s go to Cafe Barista, I heard it’s really good.” 

I only nodded my head and started to walk out the hallway before he put his lollipop back into his mouth. Inside, my heart was giving several hundred flips. I tried to keep a cool face on, and walked off. Sehun followed behind me and we quickly exited the school entrance. We didn’t say anything while we walked, so it was kind of getting awkward.  

I suddenly grew nervous and my stomach gave a jerk on the inside. What if he says no to my question later? I started to worry and think about all the bad things that could happen when Sehun broke the silence.
    
“So, I heard that we’re partners along with Luhan for decorations this year,” said Sehun. He was still that lollipop of his.

     “Yup.” I replied. YUP? WAS THAT ALL I COULD SAY? WHY NOT SAY SOMETHING COOL?

He only smiled and continued to walk next to me. I sighed and kept on walking until we    finally reached the cafe.  Sehun opened the door for me. The smell of coffee and baked goods filled my nose. The cafe was quiet and nice, perfect for chatting.

 

 


Lu Han's POV


Where was Mi Young going to make her run at the speed of light? Yeah, it's not my business, but did she have to run so fast that she almost bumped into me? 

As I walked outside the classroom, Mi Young ran past me and left the hallway. I was about to follow after when Hye Mi and her group came towards me. Ugh. I can’t escape from her this time. 

    “LU HAN OPPA!” screamed Hye Mi. “Me and my friends are going to Cafe Barista.”

    “So what?” I answered.

    “Come with us oppa.” said Hye Mi tugging my arm. 

    I gave in and she pulled me all the way there while her friends walked behind us. She dragged me out of the school and into a cafe near the school.

    Her friends opened the door and I looked around the unfamiliar surrounding. This cafe was really nice. Hye Mi and I sat down, but I immediately left to the restroom so I wouldn't have an awkward conversation. Hye Mi swent up to the counter and ordered the drinks. 

    As I was washing my hands in the restroom, the door opened. I turned around and saw Sehun. SEHUN? WHAT WAS HE DOING HERE? Being the nice guy I was, I only said hi and went back outside. As I was walking out, I saw Mi Young sitting at a table near the window. She was sipping her drink and gobbling her food. I laughed to myself and walked over. Why haven’t I noticed before? 

            Mi Young was too into her food to notice me walking up to her from the back. I tapped her shoulder and sat at the seat next to her.
    
“Seh- WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?!” Miyoung yelled. Crumbs fell from her face because of the pastries she was eating.

“So you’re here with Sehun working on the decorations already without me. I’m hurt. ” I pretended to put a hand over my heart as if I was going through a heartbreak and put on a sad face. Mi Young scoffed and punched my arm really hard.  I couldn't help but laugh. 
    
             “Right-tt we were gonna work on it.” said Mi Young nervously. She turned back to her pastries and moved her hair from her face.

Suddenly, Sehun came back from the restroom and stood at the table I was sitting at.

“Sorry Mi Young, but I have to go to practice. I just got a call from the coach that I was supposed to be at basketball practice today. Stupid Park Cheol lied to me that there was no practice today. Why don’t we work on the decorations on Friday at the library?" asked Sehun.

“NO!!” Mi Young and I screamed. We looked at each other and looked away. I knew she was thinking of the time we were working on the project at the library. 

“Why don’t we work at my house?” I suggested.

“N-” said Mi Young but Sehun interrupted her. 

“That’s a great idea. I’m late so I have to get going. Bye Lu Han.” said Sehun.

 He waved to us before he turned to Mi Young and said, “I don’t know what you were going to tell me but I’ll call you tonight ok?” said Sehun quickly. Mi Young only nodded solemnly.

 “Bye Mi Young.” Sehun jogged out the cafe. He left the cafe. Now, Luhan was sitting next to Mi Young, by themselves, at a table. There was an awkward silence before I broke it.

“Mi Young can you come with me somewhere? Not here though. Hye Mi is going to look for me any minute.” I asked politely. Mi Young nodded and we started to head outside. 

“Where did Lu Han oppa go?” Hye Mi said loudly. Obviously, I heard her and decided to make a run for it. As she turned around, I pulled Mi Young and ran out the cafe doors. Luckily, she hadn't noticed us.

I kept on running, and I was still holding onto Mi Young's hand for some reason. Maybe it was because I liked it? I wasn't sure. I finally stopped running when we reached the park. I held her hand till we sat down at a few benches. My heart was thumping. After a whole weekend on thinking if I should ask Mi Young to the dance, I made my decision. 

 

Mi Young's POV


When Sehun left, I was really down. It was the perfect chance for me to ask him to the dance. I mean, we were talking until he suddenly had to go to the restroom. And to make it worst, Luhan had to come in. Maybe I was just stubborn, or maybe I was just too clingy. But, do you know how hard it is for the girl to make the first move? 

I sighed at the benches Luhan and I were sitting at. Suddenly Luhan turned to look at me, and I raised my eyebrow. What was he up to now?

"Mi Young." Luhan started.

"Yes?" I replied. I turned to him, just to barely notice that he didn't look that bad. Actually, he had a body of a man but his face was handsome. 

"Um, will you, Lee Mi Young, go to the Winter dance as my date?" He pulled out a rose from his back, decorated all pretty and held it out to me.

What should I say? The one I wanted to be my date was Sehun, not Luhan. I'd have to give Luhan some credit though. He actually asked first, and asking someone as a date would take a lot of guts.

Luhan had a hopeful expression on. I suddenly felt really bad at what I was going to say.

"I'm sorry Luhan." I said. Was I too blunt? Luhan's face fell and I felt a sense of guilt. But why should I be guilty? It's not like I did anything wrong, right? I turned my face and looked down.

"Keep the flower. I don't want it," said Luhan. He handed me the rose and I took it. Luhan looked at me and gave a sad smile.


Lu Han's POV


She took the rose I had brought earlier. Well, at least she accepted something from me. I smiled and looked at the blue sky.

"You know, I'm sure there are other girls in our school that would love to be your date. I mean, you're not ugly, and lots of the girls at our school are prettier than me." Mi Young said.

I don't want any other girl as my date. I want you. I sighed and grabbed my backpack. 

"That's not true," I said. What else could I say? I stood up and gave one last smile to Mi Young before I walked away. Mi Young got up as well and started to walk home in the other direction. 

I should have known that she would say no. The dance was this Saturday night,  and today was already Tuesday. I sighed and put my hands in my pockets and walked on. Maybe I should just go to the dance alone. I sighed once again when I noticed the familiar street where my house was at. 

My house was the biggest amongst all the other houses in the street, it was more of a mansion. As I took each step towards my house, I had a small hope inside that my parents would be home. It was almost Christmas and they still haven't come home for 6 months. The sun was starting to set, signaling night time.

I took a deep breath and unlocked the door. The door clicked open to reveal silence. Nothing. I glanced at the empty living room. I took off my shoes and I sighed once again as I set my stuff down on the table. What did I expect? My parents didn't even come home for my birthday last year. Upstairs, I could hear the maids shuffling while they were cleaning. 

I sighed once again before I stood up to get a glass of water. My parents never cared about me. The only thing they cared about was money. You see, my parents own a pretty large company in America. They usually stay in America for a long time for work and to improve their business.

Meanwhile, they leave their only son, which is me, all alone in a lonely home with only the maids and butlers to keep me company. I gulped down the water in anger and set the glass cup in the sink. I looked up at the ceiling to notice that one of the lights started to flicker, than it went out. The room wasn't completely dark, since there were many sources of light. Anyone with a butler would have already called him out, but I hated relying on maids and butlers to do everything for me. Besides, the butlers at my home leave around 8, while the maids stay full time. 

I grabbed a really long ladder from the utility closet and stacked it. I moved it under the broken light and went to get a new lightbulb. Soon, I started to climb up the ladder. I took careful steps, step by step. I had almost reached the top ladder when my foot suddenly slipped. The lightbulb from my hand fell and broke. 
My body went backwards and I heard a loud crunch. I fell and landed arm first. My arm had a deep pain and I suddenly felt dizzy. Maids were yelling out my name but I couldn't respond back. 

Suddenly, everything went black.