[EXO] Untilted

Of Drabbles and Ficlets

minseok, baekhyun, kyungsoo, jongin

when it all falls down

≈♦♦≈

baekhyun feels his body shaking one night. he wants to open his eyes but the feeling of minseok's arms wrapped around him still lingers in his mind. he feels cold without the warmth of his human, something he knows that he will never feel again. baekhyun curls into himself and presses his palms into his hands, trying to keep his tears from spilling down. 

"baekhyun," kyungsoo's voice whispers. "you need to see this." 

baekhyun doesn't want to move. he doesn't think that he can, not after a dream like that. not after he saw minseok's smile and heard his laugh again. it would take a miracle to make him move right now.

"please, your grace. you need to see this." 

it takes baekhyun a moment for kyungsoo's words to register and when they do, his head snaps up. his eyes are wide as they stare at the other sailor who only smiles softly. 

"i know who you are, your grace. you're high priest baekhyun of atlantis. how could i not know?" 

it's the sudden relzation of where he's seen kyungsoo comes from. the temple guards. 

"you were sent here to find me, were you not?" baekhyun asks, his voice shaky. "they actually sent someone up to the upper world?" 

kyungsoo smiles sadly. "yes, your grace. although, no one figured you would actually be up here. they had a speculation with the man you left behind." baekhyun's breath hitches. "but he wouldn't say anything. he looked sad though, like he lost his reason to live." 

a whimper leaves baekhyun's mouth just as shouts come from above. he wants to look to see what's happening but the thought of minseok being sad clutches his heart tightly. he feels almost at a loss of what to do. like there's something missing from the piece of his heart. 

"pardon me, your grace but you really need to see this." 

 

kyungsoo doesn't wait as he grips baekhyun's hand, pulling up the former merman with practiced ease. he doesn't have the heart to yell at the newly found merman. the guard takes him through the winding halls of the peter pan until they're on deck and see a crowd of people. 

kyungsoo stops. 

"it's not the only reason for me being in the upper world," he says. "like you, i have found someone that i want to spend my days with. someone i can proudly call my mate but what can i do when my mate is human like yours?" 

baekhyun can only open his mouth when kyungsoo begins to pull him again, the taste of the salty breeze on his tongue. the moon and the stars provide such little light but the dimly lit lanterns shine brightly. 

they make their way through the small crowd, murmurs of the missing captain being found are echoing through the crowd. it's the words that causes baekhyun's heart to pound as soon it becomes him that's leading kyungsoo to the front. 

 

baekhyun stops the moment he's in the middle of the circle. a noise releases itself from the back of his throat causing everyone to watch as he falls to his knees. he has no strength to stand and opts to crawl towards the still body of a merman. 

minseok looks the same as he left him all those years ago. same pale skin, thin lips, dark hair. same slim body and tourmaline tail. 

"minseok," he cries pressing his hands against minseok's pale chest. "what did you do?" 

he ignores the world around him as he checks for signs of injury but find nothing. he listens to the sound of minseok's heartbeat beating softly to it own tune. 

baekhyun's mouth keeps forming the same words over and over again the more he waits for minseok to wake up but nothing. minseok's eyes stay closed and his breathing is starting to become heavier. baekhyun begins to panic. 

there's a small voice in the back of his mind that's telling him to kiss minseok. to kiss minseok like he should have all those years ago. but he hesitates. 

"you have the right, your grace," kyungsoo's voice calls out. "he's yours." 

it's the reassurance from kyungsoo that has baekhyun putting his lips against minseok's salty ones. he pulls away when nothing happens. he kisses minseok again. 

and again.

and again. 

baekhyun begins to sob. 

he's too late. a fish out of water for too long dies within minutes. minseok is gone.

baekhyun's body begins to feel heavy as inhumane noises come out of his mouth. he leans his head against minseok's chest, sobbing and whispering apologies into the wet skin. he doesn't think he can stop, in fact, he's not thinking at all. 

he's not thinking but he feels arms wrapping around his waist. he's not thinking but he feels the rise of minseok's chest. he's not thinking but he hears minseok mumbling his name and the feels the press of a kiss to his head. 

baekhyun looks up and see bright blue staring back him. 

baekhyun forgets to breathe. 

"hello kind sir," minseok says, his voice strachy. "i hope all has been well." 

baekhyun chokes a laugh with a watery smile. "all has been miserable, dear sir," he responds. "but now that you are here, it is not so bad." 

minseok is the one reaching for a kiss when gasps fill the air. there's a bright light coming from minseok's legs that has everyone watching in fascination as the tourmaline tail becomes two human legs and the once merman minseok becomes a very human minseok. 

 

there's a soft thunk and a shout of kyungsoo's name that has both minseok and baekhyun looking for the man. kyungsoo sits on his elbows, grey eyes sad as he looks to his left. baekhyun follows his gaze. instead of the two feet that brought baekhyun to kyungsoo is now a green tail that flicks nervously. 

"the spell is broken," he says looking at baekhyun. "we shall go back as the person we are." 

it takes a moment for baekhyun to understand what kyungsoo means until he looks at his legs. but he has no legs and instead a gold tail that also flicks with nervousness. 

baekhyun looks at minseok who only smiles. 

"i have something to show you," he says as he stands on wobbly legs. slowly, he reaches around baekhyun's body, pulling the merman into his arms. with baby steps, he's walking towards the edge of the ship and lifts baekhyun like he about to throw him overboard. but that's what minseok does. 

baekhyun hits the sea with a loud splash followed by another. his lungs fill with water for the first time and his eyesight is hazy. it take no more than a couple of minutes before he's breathing like he used to. his sight is no longer hazy and he sees everything in picture perfect clarity. 

"your grace," a voice whispers to his left. he knows its kyungsoo but deep down he wants minseok to be with him. "come." 

once again, kyungsoo is pulling baekhyun but this time to the surface. the peter pan comes into view with minseok peering over the edge. 

"i'll race you, jongin," he shouts just as minseok runs away from the edge. 

it takes a couple of seconds before a blur that is known as minseok jumps off the side of the ship followed by jongin who yells at the top of his lungs. twin splashes are heard before silence takes the night once more. 

before baekhyun can even open his mouth, he feels hands wrap around his waist and a warm feeling that only comes with minseok. 

"how?" baekhyun asks when he throws his arms around minseok's shoulders sobbing into them. "how?" 

baekhyun feels minseok's smile against his shoulder. "when you ask the sea god for things, sometimes he responds." 

there's clapping somewhere off in the distance but baekhyun nor minseok care. the only thing that matters to them is the feeling of the other wrapped in their arms once more. 

word count: 1336