09

Daddy of 3, Kris

A year passed…

 

“MOM!” A shout can be heard from the living room as you were finishing your works in your room. With the speed of lightning, you rush to the living room to see what’s wrong but then it is only Aiden shouting in excitement as he claps his hands together.

“MOM LOOK!” Aiden looked at you as he points to Evia and Jayden.

Both the twins have learnt how to eat solid food, crawl and they also has passed their first birthday but only walking has been hard on them. Until that evening when Aiden were doing his school projects in the living room with his friends and he shouted.

“EVIA AND JAYDEN ARE WALKING!” Aiden shouted, making his other friends laughed at him.

You pouted your lips to show that you’re happy and sad at the same time, realizing how fast your children are growing. “Aww, my babies.” You sat down on the floor as you reach both your hands to the twins.

Evia was trying to walk ahead of Jayden which lead to Jayden falling down a lot of time but he didn’t gave up. Evia saw your hands and she tried to walk quickly but failed when she fall down. Evia cried but you didn’t want to be weak. She tried again and after many tries both the twin came into your hug.

“Good job, my babies.” You said as you kissed the twins forehead and tickles them in the neck as they giggled merrily.

“Thanks for shouting to let me know, honey.” You let the twins down and went to sit on the sofa where the older kids are with Aiden.

“You said you didn’t want to miss their first step.” Aiden smiled cheekily. You ruffled his hair as you said, “We will go out and eat for tonight alright?” He nods his head and you went back into your room with the twins to leave Aiden and his friends to finish their school projects.

 

---

 

 

“Gather up, everyone. We will be stretching up first before we start our match.” Aiden’s sports teacher said as Aiden sipped the waterbefore starting to warm up and start the game.

“Aiden, you look pale. Are you okay?” Hyunwoo asked as he stretches his arms to the back.

“I’m fine.” Aiden said as he did the same.

“Now split to your own teams and we will start practicing, hustle!” The teacher shouted as Aiden wanted to run to his team but he suddenly felt giddy.

He stepped backwards as his vision turn white and it seems like he was spinning around. It’s not even a second; he collapsed in the middle of the field.

Hyunwoo shouted to get the teacher attention when he noticed Aiden wasn’t following him. The teacher turned back only to find his active student just fainted for no reason. He quickly ran and picks him up to lay him on the hard rock floor.

“Aiden.” He called, “AIDEN!” He checked for Aiden’s heartbeat but it stopped and his breathing stopped. With a matter of second, Aiden’s body temperature dropped a lot as he was a cold as ice. The teacher immediately went to the office and asked for the staff to call the ambulance as fast as possible, also to inform you.

---

 

 

At work, it was a busy lunch time. You helped your staff to clear all the mugs and plates that are used until a ceramic plate just fell down on the floor, making everyone in the store shocked, turning to you.

Hyuna ran as she helped you up while you’re in a shocked state too, “Are you okay, Ara?” She asked.

The moment you wanted to pick up the broken plate, your pocket vibrates as your phone was in there. You anxiously pick up the phone.


Mrs. Wu, Seoul Elementary school here. We are here to report to you that your son Wu Aiden just fainted and he is on the way to Seoul Hospital right now with his sports teacher.” The staff said.

As fast as the lightning, you dropped the plate back on the table as you rushed to your office to grab your belongings, telling Hyuna the reason on the way out.

“Aiden fainted and now he’s on the way to the hospital. Please take care of the store for me.” You said as you quickly ran for the door and to your car.

Thankfully the traffic wasn’t busy which makes you easier to drive to the hospital as fast as you can.

Reach to the hospital, you ran to the receptionist and asked for Aiden but she told you he is being treated in the surgery at the moment.

Scared of losing your son, you wait outside of the surgery room praying, hoping and wishing Aiden will make it out alive.

Three hours passes by, there’s still no news. The doctors aren’t out yet until the door of the surgery room opened only to welcome you with the gloomy face of the doctor.

“Wu Aiden’s guardian?” He asked. You nodded, scared to hear what’s next, “I’m his mum.”

The doctor holds your shoulder and looked into your eyes, “We tried. God loves your son more.”

Hearing that, you dropped down on the floor totally blanked. He helped you up by making you sit on the chair and said, “We have to take care of the body as soon as possible. Please contact your husband as well.”

What?

Why?

How?

That wasn’t even in your mind right now. He was healthy and active the past few days but why suddenly? You cried so hard that no one was there to comfort you. It felt like a sniper was being shot on your heart as it bleeds non-stop.

With shivering hands you called your mum to convey the devastating message.

As you sits and cry, your parents, Hyuna and Kai came running to you.

“HONEY!” Your mum shouted, making you cry again. She didn’t ask any question as she gives you a big hug and console you.

“Let’s go to the doctor office.” Your dad said as he helps you on the way to the doctor’s office to know what the cause of Aiden’s sudden death is.

---

 

 

“I’ve checked his history.” Mr. Choi, the doctor, said. “He was involved in a very terrible state of coma few years back but was alive with the help of Mr. Jongin’s blood donation.”

“This time, it wasn’t the cause of the loss of bloods. He has started feeling the pain on the back of his head again this past few months but he kept quiet, which explains why you are shocked.”

“The accident that happened was so terrible that it came back and now we can’t do anything about it but to leave it to god’s hand. It’s a shocked for us doctors too that a child can just pass away even though we can save him but again, there’s nothing more we can do if this happens.”

 

 

Three days before…

 

“Aiden, can you help me give these worksheets to your classmate during lunch time? And tell them to hand it up to me tomorrow morning.” Miss. Han said as she hands Aiden her stack of English worksheet. Aiden bow to her in respect as he walks back to the classroom.

He felt giddy suddenly. The vision in front of his blackened out but he was still conscious. He closed his eyes as he tries walking near the wall, needing some help. Hyunwoo from afar was running to Aiden he squats in front of the sick boy.

“Aiden, are you okay?” Hyunwoo asked as he shook Aiden.

“I’m fine. I’m just giddy.” Aiden answered as he asked Hyunwoo for help. “Help me to carry this to the class and tell them to pass it up tomorrow.” Aiden said as he tried to get up.

“I’ll help you.” Hyunwoo grabbed Aiden’s arm as he puts the arm over his shoulder. “Are you sick?” Hyunwoo asked.

“No, I’m just dizzy. I will be fine.” Aiden answered. “Do you want to call your mum and pick you up?”

Aiden shook his head as both of the boys sat down on their seat.

 

Four hours later, you went to pick him up. He was looking pale but all you thought was he must be so tired that he looked really pale and it didn’t bother you too much.

“Hi, how’s school?” You asked as he puts on his seat belt. “Nothing much, Mr. Kim said my soccer match will be two days from now.”

“Good job! I will be rooting for you.” You smiled as your start the engine car.

“Mum, when will dad come back?” He asked with a sad tone.

“He will not be back until next week. Do you want to call him?” You asked, preparing to take out your phone but he shook his head, “No, I don’t want to bother him. I will wait until he comes back.” Aiden said as he smile weakly.

 

After a twenty minute drive you finally made it back home as Aiden rush into his room, locking the door.

“Mum, I’m taking a rest first.” He shouted and you replied back with a yes.

He sat down on his bed as he put his palm on his forehead, hissing in pain. He thought something was wrong in his head and something felt weird every time he tried to talk or to move his head. It felt like a giant truck just smashed into his brain, not allowing him to feel normal back.

The little boy quickly changes into his pajamas as he walks to the living room wanting to watch his favorite kid’s drama.

 

‘I won’t be able to live as long as I thought I would.’ The main character said as he hugs his mother.

Kyunsoo, please don’t say like that. You will be fine.’ The mother hugged the crying child who was in the hospital.

 

That scene hit Aiden hard that he wanted to cry, suddenly predicting that he won’t be able to live as long as he thought he would.

While you were taking a bath, Aiden takes an empty piece of paper and a pen and decided to write a note.

 

Hi mum, the moment you read this will be the day when I am already gone. Today, my head hurt so bad it felt like death was here to come and pick me up but decided to give me a chance before saying goodbye to my family. I am happy that I was born to be your son because even though how hard things have gone for you, you still kept me and didn’t hate me. Dad has taught me on how to be a good boy and I miss him. Dad, if you are reading this, I love you. You are my hero in this life and also in my next life. I am sorry if writing this note makes you cry even more. But please, if you found this and read this after I am gone, please do not cry for my loss. I love you Mum, Dad, Evia, Jayden.’

After that long note that he cried while writing it, he folds into half and puts inside his school bag and then run back into the room.

---

 

 

The next day Aiden’s friends came over to do the project and little did you know, that was the last time you get to spend time with him at home.  

---

 

“Do you realize whether if Aiden has been acting weird these past few days?” The doctor asked as you snap back into reality. You sob, wiping your tears and answered back, “He looks tired and pale but I didn’t care much because i thought it was that he was just tired from the soccer practice. I didn’t even tell him whether is he was alright.” You cried again and the doctor patted your shoulder, “Let me check on him one more time and I will call you.”

 

The doctor went back to the surgery room as he did a last check-up but miracle didn’t happen since Aiden’s heart isn’t beating anymore. He took the last breathe on Wednesday 4.30P.M.

 

You sat outside the operation room while praying hard your son would live again and you would be able to say goodbye to him for the last time but it didn’t work.

The door of the room opened and the same doctor went out, walking to you, “I will need your identification card and please be able to contact the family members. You will see him for the last time later.” The doctor said as he walks past you.

 

In the room where Aiden will be visible to you for the last time, you slowly take off the white cloth off his face as you caressed it slowly.

“I thought there’s nothing wrong with you. Why did you suddenly leave me, my baby?” Your tears dropped as you quickly wipe it away.

“Dad isn’t even here with you and you leave him just like that. You said you would be strong for me but why did this happen? Why didn’t you tell me you were in pain? Today is the day where you would be competing with other teams and that was one of your dreams but why did you let it pass just like that?” You cried again, not being able to stop, followed by your parents and also with Hyuna and Kai.

Kai’s tears didn’t stop falling as he witness the death of his innocent son who did nothing wrong. He thought it should be him who be the one who dies, not little Aiden.

You walk to Kai as you told him to look at Aiden for the last time before the doctor could take the body.

He walks slowly as possible as he kisses Aiden on the forehead that feels as cold as ice. He whispered, ‘I love you.’ And back away.

The nurse puts the white cloth back on and takes the deceased to the mortuary.

You dropped down on your knees while Hyuna was there to support you. She hugged you and tried to console you but you just couldn’t stop crying. It was such devastating news that came so fast, you couldn’t even prepare for it.

---

 

At night, Aiden’s body was brought back to the funeral house as many came to visit him.

Kris just reached Seoul as he quickly drives through the traffic jam and finally made it back to the home. Most of the people recognize Kris as they show him the support to stay strong.

He reached into the room where he saw Aiden’s cheerful photo being framed in a frame full of flowers. Kris slowly made his way in with his teary eyes as he went beside you.

“Honey.” He called.

You turn back and cried even more, seeing Kris is finally here by your side.

“Oppa.” You said and stand up with the help of Kris.

“Are you serious? Are you serious this is our son?” Kris asked even though it was obvious. You nodded and wiped your tears.

He didn’t say anything as he hugs you as tight as possible, realizing how much regrets he has now not being able to see Aiden for the last time.

 

 

The next morning, it was time for Aiden’s body to be buried in the cemetery. Kris, Kai and other of their friends carried Aiden’s casket to move it into the van.

You and your family together with Hyuna followed behind while your father drives the car.

Evia was crying so hard, she wouldn’t stop no matter how hard you caress her, no matter how hard you hugged her but she still couldn’t stop crying on the way to the cemetery. Jayden on the other hand who was with your mum, stay silent but was wide awake. Looking at both your twins, it felt like both of them knew their big brother was gone.

You hugged Evia as tight as you can as you put your head on your mum’s shoulder.

---

 

 

Arriving at the cemetery, Kris waited for you as the others helped to carry the casket. He held your hands as he took Evia from you seeing how tired you are already.

As you watch the heartbreaking moment where Aiden was put down to rest, you heart shatters.

‘Goodbye, my son. I love you.’ You prayed mentally as Kris cried together with you.

---

 

 

It was the night when Aiden’s funeral has ended. You went back home with just the four of you and straight you made your way to Aiden’s room which was surprisingly really neat.

He organized all his books on his study table and hung his clothes neatly inside his wardrobe. You take a seat on his bed while you hug the giraffe plushie he has since he was little.

Kris went inside your room with the twins and turns on the light.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t be here when you needed me, honey.” Kris apologized. You shook your head and wipe your tears, “It’s not like you know this are going to happen. I don’t blame you, oppa.” You smiled weakly.

Kris nod his head understanding you and grabbed Aiden’s back bag that Kris bought for him when he was seven years old  which he uses until he was eleven years old.

He the bag and take out the sketch book that was always inside Aiden’s bag.  Kris flipped through the page and smiles when he saw his handwriting that he wrote when Aiden was four years old.

“Do you want to know why I wrote my name here?” He asked, showing you.

You sat down on the floor beside Kris, shaking your head, “I don’t know.”

Kris showed his gum smile and looked at you, “Remember when he was four years old and we had to divorce? Right after you left the court, I told my mum to allow me to at least say goodbye to him and I did, I came before you. I saw him and I took this sketch book out from his bag and wrote my name saying, ‘When you’re older and you’re getting married, remember to call me.’” He smiled while a drop of tear fell onto his name.

“I didn’t know he still keep this and I didn’t know he still haven’t told you yet even though I told him not to tell you about me and his meeting.”

“You’re a good father even though he’s not your blood and flesh.” You grab his arm and out your head on his shoulder.

He went through the bag as he came through a piece of paper that was folded so differently. Kris opened the paper slowly and before he could read it, he passes it to you, thinking that you deserve to see that paper before he do.

You sit up straight and unfold the paper as the first few words made your eyes teary again.

 

 

Hi mum, the moment you read this will be the day when I am already gone. Today, my head hurt so bad it felt like death was here to come and pick me up but decided to give me a chance before saying goodbye to my family. I am happy that I was born to be your son because even though how hard things have gone for you, you still kept me and didn’t hate me. Dad has taught me on how to be a good boy and I miss him. Dad, if you are reading this, I love you. You are my hero in this life and also in my next life. I am sorry if writing this note makes you cry even more. But please, if you found this and read this after I am gone, please do not cry for my loss. I love you Mum, Dad, Evia, Jayden.’

 

After reading the precious letter, you chuckled and lean your head on Kris shoulder again, “It seems like he knows he will leave us that’s why he wrote this.”

 


---

 

I am sorry for not posting for awhile now just because I am so tired with the projects I had in school.

I wish everyone great health and happiness~ Please don't hate me after reading this chapter.

Life isn't just full of happiness and unicorns, something that we won't know will happen in just in a blink of an eye.

Just like what happened to Late EunB and Rise.

I didn't write this death chapter just because of what happened to both of the lovely girls but I had wrote this for about a month ago and I didn't have the time to publish it.

If I offended anyone with this horrible chapter of mine, I am deeply sorry.

I meant nothing. This is just how life works.

Till then~