(nk ) Fate that brought us here

all little things (that we once said)

 

fate that brought us here, nichkhun, pg-13, 1600 wc, au.

 

 

“What if she has crooked teeth?" 

" She doesn't."

" What if she has crossed eyes?"

Nichkhun tries crossing his eyes and shows his face to Chansung to make a point, who--, that humorless all too serious guard of his, just stares at him uninterestedly before setting his gaze back to the forest around them. The path is small and quiet in front of them.

“You know, i actually asked Doojoon about this and he said she's beautiful, and smart too, she carries herself with dignity and manner. I think I'd believe him." Chansung clicks his tongue to get his horse to stop.

“What if Doojoon lied? What if my father told Doojoon to lie to you so you could tell that lie to me?”

“No one is lying to anyone. You're being ridiculous." 

“Ridiculous? I'm not being ridiculous. What's ridiculous is me having to go all the way to this corner of the world just to see an old woman when I can spend my time at the Shidae's house, learning law and history and whatnot." Nichkhun looks around him and tightens his coat. It's always so chilly in these places, he misses the warm sun of his land already. 

"…along with the nine daughters of Shidae, I expect?" Chansung smiles knowingly and this gets Nichkhun grinning..

“Nine beautiful daughters that can sing as well as they can dance." Nichkhun breathes out and smile, " if father want me to choose from them it'll be much easier. A wife from one of the Shidae's daughters, “Nichkhun hums. "--or two wives, or three, I'm a richest man, I don't mind being shared." 

Chansung laughs at this and Nichkhun laughs with him. He's glad he's able to convince his father that bringing Chansung is enough, instead of a whole entourage of carts and guards. This way it feels more like an adventure than anything else, ah but then Nichkhun remembers why they have to travel this far north.

" What if she's an old hag?" Nichkhun tries again, hopping off his own horse with ease. “ A witch? That preys on young handsome man, like myself, aah! What if she intends to the youth off me?” Nichkhun feigns a gasp, widening his eyes in horror to Chansung.

“ Then it will be the first time I hear you complaining about someone something of  you.” Chansung replies with a straight face.

“ Chansuuung, you’re making me blush.” The Prince drops his innocent look and stares at Chansung with amusement, “ ah but really, what if she’s shallow, and only after me because I’m a Prince?” Nichkhun asks as Chansung dismount his horse.

“Would it be so bad? You had those kinds before.”

“Yeah, but those are only playthings. This one, this sounds serious.” He makes a beeline to Chansung who ties the horses’ leash to a tree. It’s been a long ride, the horses need rest. “Father seemed serious when he spoke about this.” Nichkhun clicks his tongue.

“That’s because it is serious.” Chansung throws him a glance.

That’s because it is serious. “ Nichkhun echoes Chansung while making a face. “You just love it don’t you, serious matters for serious Chansung. “ Dropping his body on the grass next to Chansung, Nichkhun goes on, “ All these serious talk, making me seriously tired.”  He plucks a grass from the ground near him and flicks it away, sighing miserably.

“Then rest.” Chansung tells him, and when Nichkhun won’t stop be his misery he adds, “You could refuse it, we can turn back right now. Your father will be angry, but not angry enough to have your head.”

“Did I ever said that I will refuse it?” Nichkhun replies, suddenly sounding firm, Chansung has to look up from the fire he’s trying to build to catch Nichkhun’s face, and indeed the prince is looking solemn and composed. There’s something different in his eyes, admirable and strong.

 Like this, he reminds Chansung of their queen, how she’s always so soft spoken, and kind. The gentle smile and soft words that she has can only be rivaled by her strength and wisdom. Strength and Beauty, the prince is indeed the queen’s son.

“ Ahhh this is driving me crazy, what if she’s cursed and she needs a handsome prince to break the spell? What if I turn out to be the sacrificial lamb? I’m too good looking to die young, Chansuuuuuunggg~” Nichkhun whines, pouting his lips like he’s still a toddler.

Strength and Beauty passes really fast these days, Chansung thinks again, shaking his head while blowing carefully at the flicker he sees burning up.

“What?" Chansung asks, glancing up after he realizes that the Prince has been silent for a suspicious amount of time.   

“ I was just…, thinking.” Nichkhun eyes him, mind brewing with thoughts. And suddenly, “Right then, strip now and give me your clothes.” He says walking towards his trusted guard. “Come on, chop chop, we don’t have all day.”

“ Why would you—Oii—Wait—“Chansung tries keeping his balance when Nichkhun starts tugging his boot off. “Crazy. You’ve lost your mind. If your father sees you, imagine the things he’d say.”

Chansung watches helplessly as Nichkhun starts pulling his clothes off one layer at a time, the orange-y tunic, the imperial scarf, right to his green cloak, which from the way it was sewn and detailed shows off his rank within the kingdom as the prince’s guard. Although it is a position of honor and Chansung is very proud to be one, it is still a position that serves. So it make no sense to Chansung why Nichkhun is now—after stripping off his own clothes—starts to put on Chansung’s outfit.

“He’d probably tell me that I’m crazy too, but he’s not here, isn’t he? “ Nichkhun buttons up the neck part of tunic, picking Chansung’s green cloak and fitting it on his shoulders, the scarf come next. “Why aren’t you dressed?” Nichkhun stops when seeing Chansung is still sitting half on the grass.

“Because you stripped me just now.” Chansung answers, unamused.

Rolling his eyes, Nichkhun pulls one of Chansung’s boots laying on the ground and starts putting them on. “Well, I appreciate the visual, “he glances on Chansung’s firm chest, “but you’re just not my type, you’re too…too Chansung-y.” he laughs.

Gruffing, Chansung goes to his satchel to get something to wear but before he even get the first tunic out, Nichkhun stops him.

“ What are you doing?”

Turning around to his prince, who is now looking like a guard with the way his green cloak flows from his shoulder, Chansung sighs.” I’m… getting dressed?”

“With what?” Nichkhun stands up, patting the dirt off his pants.

“With…clothes? Like a sane, normal person?” Chansung replies, and it is clear that Nichkhun is not satisfied with his answer.

“ Chansuuuuung..” Nichkhun pouts.

“ Nikuuuuuuung.” Chansung imitates him.

“ Tsk. If you put that on, we’re just going to go there as two palace guards?” Nichkhun questions him. “My father, my honorable father, king of the three seas is sending two palace guards to attend the northern autumn festival in behalf of our kingdom?”

Chansung blinks, Nichkhun is looking serious this time, but he still can’t grasps the Prince’s intention.” So, you want me to go there…?”

Nichkhun high pitched laughter is heard once again and Chansung feels sorry for the peaceful birds and animals in the forest that has to hear it.

“Hwang Chansung are you really that dense? I want you to wear these, “ Still grinning, Nichkhun brings Chansung the clothes that he had stripped off earlier. The fabric thick and soft, the kingdom’s insignia embroidered using gold threads and Chansung’s eyes widens.

“By gods, I’d rather go ! “ Chansung takes a step back. “Didn’t you used to say that you treasure me like a brother, then, why do you want me dead? Because the second anyone sees me in that, they’ll cry out treason. Impersonating the Prince is a heavy offense!”

Nichkhun shakes his head.

“Oh treasured brother,” he mocks, “ You’re no good to me dead. No one is going to recognize you here. I doubt they even know how i look like, and even if father finds out, I will take full responsibility. As always.” Nichkhun smiles.

Chansung groans irritably, “I knew it was a bad idea when you suggested leaving without an entourage, but this here, now, is the mother of bad ideas.” Nichkhun helps Chansung slides his arms inside his tunic, a deep red color with velvet ts and rhinestones.

“It’s not. This way I get to see the princess for what she is, if she’s a good person, or just another pretty face.”

“I thought you like pretty faces?” Chansung glances to him, half smiling.

Nichkhun pats down the cloak for Chansung, “Tsk. This one I have to endure for the rest of my life.” He pauses, “Well, maybe for a few years before I start taking concubines.” Nichkhun lifts his head and gives Chansung a conspiratory wink.

When they’re done, tunic and cloak and boots and all, Chansung looks like of royal blood. His build and his charismatic face helps him fit the part. To anyone who never met the 2nd prince, they surely will be easy to convince that Chansung is indeed the youngest prince from their kingdom. Which leaves Nichkhun free to investigate and lets Chansung handle the boring diplomacy talks. They grew up together, and Chansung always accompanied him in his classes. Nichkhun is confident Chansung can play his part perfectly.

“Everything is set and ready now. “ Nichkhun smiles.

“Crazy, you’re crazy. I love you, but you’re crazy. “Chansung shakes his head.