Fine Arts 3/4

Pieces

AN: I couldn't sleep and...this happened.
Written on phone so mistakes may be forgiven right...? (my phone can be really annoying) 


 

 

003 f i n e  a r t s  (3/4)

 

Donghae isn't sure anymore what the hell could be wrong with his friend. He's been sitting on the bench in the middle of the long hallway,  and he has already lost count how many times he has seen Hyukjae walking in front of him, over and over again, from south to north and back again.

 

Sometimes he's typing his phone, sometimes he is looking at a printed class schedule which is held upside down, five minutes later he goes again, and goes to talk a girl named Tiffany, acting all weird and suspicious. He looks nervous and jidgety, sometimes giving Donghae 'unnoticeable' looks and glances, a frown on his forehead and his cheeks tinted in the lightest shade of pink.

 

When he passes by in front of him for the umpteenth time, the brunette puts down the book from his hands and glares at the red head with a wry look.

 

"What the hell is wrong with you today? Have ants in your pants perhaps?" he asks, tilting his head towards the guy when he stops few meters further while the other scratches his nape.

 

Hyukjae doesn't look at him, but he mutters: "Kinda", and walks away with hurried steps, leaving behind the bewildered Donghae who just couldn't understand what the hell is going on with that guy.

 

It doesn't get any better though.

 

For some odd reason Hyukjae has been appearing out of nowhere to help him in the last two days with the weirdest things. Like getting Donghae's books from his locker even when it's not really that high. Or whenever he has been in need of anything, Hyukjae has gotten it for him. Or whichever door he has entered,  Hyukjae has been the one to hold it open for him.

 

He wonders if he has finally lost his mind or if he's high on something. 

 

(He hasn't noted the eye rolls or the unbelieving shakes of head from Tiffany though.)

 

He finds chocolate milk on his desk, inside his locker, inside his goddamn shoulder back, and not the least from the pocket of his jacket. He knows it's Hyukjae, he's just not sure why. He's not sure of this is some sort of a game. Or if it could have something to do with the confession on the phone almost a week ago. Anyhow, it's really getting onto him.

 

It's getting on his nerves. Because the gestures are all just so childish and silly, and yet so goddamn adorable, but still making him feel like wanting to pull his hair out.

 


 

Alltogether they are quite normal with each other, like they used to be, except the fact that there has been quite many embarrassing moments with blushed cheeks and Donghae's annoyed mockery when he has not known what else to say.

 

This time, Hyukjae is accompanying him at the colleges library, and since the red head has been asking him how he could help in any other twenty seconds, he has given him a list of books he should bring to him.

 

It only takes five minutes at most when the guy returns with all the books in his hands, barely being able to carry them all at once. 

 

"Is this all...?" he asks, putting the heavy books on the table with a drop of sweat on his forehead. 

 

"Umm..." Donghae mumbles, looking at all the notes he has done for all the equipments for this certain project. "There's still this one book...but it was too high on the shelf for me to get it."

 

It's like a light bulb has ignited on Hyukjae's eyes.

 

"Where is it?" he asks enthusiastically, "I'll help to get it for you."

 

The brunette with thickly rimmed glasses squint his eyes, contemplating if it's really a good idea since Hyukjae has been acting like a jack-in-the-box for the whole afternoon. With a sigh he waves his hand to tell Hyukjae to follow him, and he leads them into the corridor between high book shelves.

 

Hyukjae acknowledges that the certain book is really, really high, and there's no chair or any ladders to make the whole matter any easier. The library is old and not many people really even bother to loan anything from there.

 

"So... I'm gonna get it for you", he says, mostly talking to himself while Donghae keeps hoping that Hyukjae would just let it be.

 

"You don't really need to"

 

"We'll get it. I just need to think", Hyukjae mumbles.

 

Donghae doesn't dare to say a word before Hyukjae gives him a bit too bright look with a grin.

 


 

"No."

 

"But it's easy!" the red head whines, pointing to his shoulders and Donghae. "You'll just get on ny shoulders and you'll grab it. Easy as that!"

 

"I'm not going to sit on your shoulders."

 

"What, you want to ask that old hag to get it for you? She gives zero if you get it or not."

 

"...but she should."

 

"Come on, it takes ten seconds!"

 

"Fine. But you'll explain it if she appears and accuses us on this", the brunette groans, annoying thudding beating inside his head.

 

"Yeah, yeah. Get on", Hyukjae inquires and gets on his knees.

 

Donghae doesn't know what has gotten to him when he really agrees to do something so brainless as this. But Hyukjae is being stubborn and he knows that books is pretty hard to even find available from anywhere. He gulps nervously and looks up to the goddamn book, before he mouths: "I have to stand on my knees."

 

"Got it. Now, come on."

 

Yeah, they've been friends for almost few years, and they had done worse than this in the stupidity scale, but Donghae still finds himself praying for his life and hoping that it would end up as easily as Hyukjae has promised.

 

He puts his knees on his shoulders, taking deep breaths when Hyukjae claspes his hands on Donghae's tighs to keep him steady while he lifts himself up and with an unmanly squeak the geek is up in the air, trying to get the book while his body is wavering badly already. He's afraid of heights, after all.

 

"Goddamn, you're heavy...!" Hyukjae grumbles and the brunette pushes his knee painfully more into the guy’s shoulder, reaching for the book that's tightly between another ones...

 

"You're the one who wanted to help, so stop whining!"

 

"...you got it already?" he asks, panting.

 

"Almost", Donghae huffs, cursing the tightly packed books that aren't too small, "Justasec" But the books are so tight against each other that when he gets the one out, he also gets a punch of others falling upon him, hitting his head and Hyukjae’s head.

 

"What the hell...! Don't wiggle!"

 

At first, Donghae loses his balance and starts to fall of, and while the red head desperately tries to keep his hold on him, they fall down onto the floor with loud thuds and cries.

 

"What on earth is going on here...?!"

 

The old librarian looks at the two college students, lying on the floor with a load of books and pained whimpers.

 

"Are you out of your mind! This not a playground for overgrown kids to play!" the woman bawles.

 

Donghae couldn't find himself to care when his head has just been hammered to the another shelf  while his balls are on fire from the pain after he had pulled the red head down with him, his occipital going straight against his crotch.

 

He howls like a piglet being slaughtered, not caring if the whole ward can hear him.

 


 

Fifteen minutes later they sit inside at the principal's office, hearing how they are the first to get detention in his five year old career as the college's principal.

 

Hyukjae has a bruise on his forehead from a book falling onto it, while Donghae has an ice bag on his lap. The other gives him an apologetic smile, when Donghae glares back and swears that million chocolate milks would not be enough for this pain.

 

And he didn't even get the book because it has been prohibited from him for the whole semester, at least from their library.