Fine Arts 1/4

Pieces

INFO: part one of two four. something more fluffy this time? sorry, just testing waters... :P
(...and that's just coinsidence that every 'chapter' starts with 'F'...)


 

 

003  f i n e  a r t s (1/4)

 

From: Hyuk

i think I’m going to the party tonight…

 

To: Hyuk

kkk have fun :D

 

From: Hyuk

you’re not coming?

 

To: Hyuk

I already said I’m not

 

From: Hyuk

you’re no fun v_v

 

To: Hyuk

Ikr but I have to study :P

 

From: Hyuk

pffft.

 

From: Hyuk

…do not answer if I call because I’m gonna be so drunk I won’t remember my name anymore

 

To: Hyuk

what if I do so I can blackmail you later? ;P

 

From: Hyuk

just don’t.

 

 

02:32AM

 

School books and notes are sprawled all over his desk when he glances at the clock, groaning in both tiredness and at the same time feeling not sleepy at all.

He’s just too tired to stare at the black letters teeming in front of his eyes, ready to throw all the assignments into the darkest corner of his room.

There are still half of them left – although the deadline is four days later so he wouldn’t really need to do them yet. But he knows he wouldn’t fall asleep yet even if he would try. And there’s nothing else to do anyway.

Donghae starts writing again; often halting to think some better wordings to write – until his phone starts ringing. He instantly assumes who it could be, and he snorts when he finally sees the name of the caller flickering on the screen. Hyukjae is most likely wasted – he knows, although it wouldn’t be the first time for the guy to call him just because he was bored.

“Idiot”, he murmurs before tapping the green graphic and placing the device against his ear.  At first, he doesn’t really hear anything else but loud music and other indistinct noises coming from the background. He starts to wonder if it’s actually just an accident, but nevertheless, he stands up and walks next to his window, waiting for his friend to start talking.

 

Hyukjae is actually a guy he knows already back from the high school, but they only became friends after starting in the same college. They share actually quite a lot of the same classes, since they both are attending the same Fine Arts degree – Hyukjae just majoring in theatre arts when Donghae in creative writing.

And even if they are so different; Hyukjae being the more confident and social, whilst he is more reserved and self-contained, he could easily say that they are in really good terms. Maybe not best of friends, because Hyukjae is so outgoing and Donghae just isn’t a person to let people so close so easily.

 

He taps his foot against the floor impatiently, hearing some rustling coming from the other end of the call before there’s a familiar chuckle.

“I told you not to answer.”

He snorts again.

“You won’t remember it in the morning anymore”, he says, leaning against the window frame, eyes searching for something to hammer his eyes at.

“That’s the problem”, Hyukjae mutters, and he could hear some slight slurring in the other’s voice.

Donghae sighs. “Why do you even call me? You know everyone from school, and still you decide to bother me instead?”

“I dunno…” Hyukjae’s words trail off. “Or… Actually”, the guy, who has a flaming red hair and most likely some overly priced clothes, keep muttering; “I guess I just want to talk…with you.”

He doesn’t know why the laugh that escapes from his lips is suddenly tenser. He swallows and pinches the bridge of his nose. “Well, what do you want to talk about?” Donghae inquires, not understanding why he’s feeling nervous now.

“Do you know what I’ve been thinking of?”

“Spit it out”, Donghae sighs; not really being sure what kind of confession the guy is going to tell him.

Maybe it’s just as lightheaded as his subjects usually are. Maybe he just wants to tell Donghae about some random girl he’s been crushing over months already whose name Donghae doesn’t even know.

Somehow he feels more tired than he was just a moment ago.

He notices that he can’t hear any background noises anymore – or actually he does, but the sounds are way more distant now.

“It’s stupid, really…”

“You started already, and you have been wasting my important studying time if you’re not going to tell me anything interesting enough”, Donghae huffs sarcastically.

He has to think twice before he understands that Hyukjae just giggled over the phone, almost shyly.

“It’s really stupid…”

“You’re not going to remember it in the morning, I tell you.”

“I know. “

He’s quite sure that the alcohol has really slowed his friend’s brain work.

“I’ve been wondering…how it would feel like to actually kiss you.”

“W-what?” he blurts, unbelieving and feeling a heat on his cheeks.

“Stupid isn’t?” Hyukjae says, so softly it almost escapes his friend’s ears. “But I can’t stop thinking about it. Because your lips look so soft and tempting and I’ve been thinking about it for weeks—No –Months.”

Hyukjae just got his tongue. Donghae doesn’t know what to say – or even what to think. But he realizes his stomach is churning, and he knows it’s not because it repulses him.

“And again… I got wasted because I wanted to forget it. But for Christ’s sake…it only got worse”, he mutters, and Donghae can discern some….self-consciousness through the line. “I’m stupid, right? Such a fool who has fallen in love…with you.”

“I don’t—“

“Just forget it, okay? If you...don’t… Just forget it and let it go, ok?”

 

 

12:57AM

 

The next morning Hyukjae wakes up with a terrible headache, but the first thing he does after he can make himself move an inch, is to grab his phone from the nightstand. His heart is beating as loud and fast as the hangover in his head, when he opens the screen and the first thing he does is to check out the dialed calls.

And it makes him groan in frustration, when he sees one certain name in the log before the cab’s number.

“.”

Abruptly he sits up, staring at the screen with terror in his eyes.

“, , . !” he curses.

He remembers the whole conversation clearly. He always does.

It has always been just a white lie to say that he never remembers a thing if he gets drunk. But the thing is that he can’t really control his doings when it happens.

It hits him even harder.

Donghae knows.

Donghae knows about how he keeps thinking about his lips, thinking about him overall. There’s heavy bile sinking down in his stomach when he buries his face into the pillow, groaning in exasperation.