What's Worse: To Have Loved And Lost or to Have Never Loved At All?

I'll be Your Sun if You'll be my Moon

            “I can’t believe you drove me all the way here!” Youngjae pouted. “I’m not a kid Himchan.”

            Himchan was practically giddy as he swung his car into a parking space outside their favorite bar, “How could I not? It’s your first date with Daehyun and—“

            “It is not a date!” Youngjae shouted.

            “Says the vampire that is dressed nicer than usual,” Himchan scoffed.

            “That’s because you stole all my other clothing and then tied me up in chains for an hour so you could fix my hair and makeup!”

            Himchan smirked, “I’m surprised how well that plan went through.”

            “I hate you,” Youngjae grumbled. He cast a look at his outfit and had to admit that Himchan had a good sense of style. His black jacket and white t-shirt loosely tucked into his jeans made him look casual, but still classy. The only things ruining his looks now were the chains that tied him to the seat.

            “You have to tell me everything about your date afterwards,” Himchan teased.

            “It isn’t a date!”

            Himchan chuckled, “Don’t forget to say please and thank you, oh and compliments will get you far.”

            “Damn it Himchan, shut up!”

            Himchan sighed, “Going on a date for the first time in over a century, I’m worried about you. Make sure—“

            “Seriously Himchan I will kill you,” Youngjae threatened. “Let me out of—“

            “You and your puppy make such a great couple. Youngjae and Daehyun, I just love the sound of your names.”

            “Himchan!” Youngjae jerked against the chains.

            Himchan smiled and continued to tease Youngjae, “Maybe you should go back to college so you can spend more time with your mate—“

            “I am not a traitor to my kind!” Youngjae shouted in frustration.

            Immediately Youngjae regretted his words and not just because the car had gone deathly silent. Youngjae cursed and shook his head.

            “The only reason I’m not killing you right now is because I know you didn’t mean those words.” Himchan said seriously. His tone was dark and sharp, nothing like how Himchan talked the past few years. It was a reminder to Youngjae that Himchan was known as one of the fiercest warriors during that war, sparing no one who had hurt his friends.

            “I didn’t…” Youngjae mumbled.

            Himchan gripped the steering wheel tightly, “You are letting JB get to you.”

            “I’m—“

            “Shut up,” Youngjae’s mouth ran dry. “Listen to me Youngjae. You bought your freedom from JB, you don’t need to come whenever he calls you anymore, hell you don’t even need to listen to his opinions. Think for yourself, are the werewolves really so bad?”

            “Him—“ Youngjae sighed when he saw Himchan’s pitch black eyes turn in his direction. “No, okay! My opinion on the wolves has changed. Are you happy? I don’t know why I said what I said.”

            Himchan relaxed his grip on the steering wheel, “Much better. Now, while we are having honesty hour,” Youngjae groaned and pulled against his chains again, “I want to know why you won’t admit you like Daehyun.”

            “I don’t,” Youngjae looked out his window at the other vehicles in the parking lot. Just then, the sound of a motorcycle met his ears, soon followed by the actual vehicle and its driver who Youngjae couldn’t take his eyes off of.

            “Obviously you do,” Himchan said softly.

            Youngjae’s eyes followed the cyclist as he found a place to park and eventually stood up, shaking his head once he had pulled his helmet off. His hair was disheveled but he tousled it while looking in his side mirror and miraculously it fell into place, looking like he had spent all day styling it. He stuffed his helmet and leather jacket in his saddle bags, Youngjae might have whimpered a bit as he saw the werewolf’s muscles flex and move under the t-shirt he was wearing as he put the items away and then pulled on a jean jacket instead.

            “Youngjae, why won’t you just admit it already?” Himchan said sadly. “By denying your feelings you are just hurting the both of you… is it still because you feel hatred for werewolves?”

            “No,” Youngjae willed his eyes shut so he would stop looking at Daehyun and sighed. “Why do you want me to go on this date so badly?”

            Himchan sighed and Youngjae could hear him flop back onto his seat, “I just want you to be happy. I want you to properly feel loved and safe and just… happy.”

            Youngjae shook his head before looking at Himchan, “How can I be happy if I’m dating a werewolf, even one who has imprinted on me?”

            “Wha—“

            “How can I be happy knowing that I will live forever only to watch him grow old and eventually die?” Youngjae said sadly.

            “Youngjae…”

            Youngjae groaned, “Yes, the war was clouding my head at first, I killed so many werewolves you know… but…” Youngjae wistfully looked out his window to see a smiling Daehyun heading towards him, “together we will have to fight both of our kind and some way or another, he will eventually leave me, either by force from his family, another war breakout where we have to separate, or death. So tell me now, why should I let myself fall for him?”

            “…” Himchan whispered his curse just before Daehyun knocked on the window.

            “Hey Himchan, are you going to unchain my date any time soon?” Daehyun chuckled.

            “Yeah,” Himchan forced a smile before he unlocked the chains, “because life is about having fun and you two should go have all the fun that you can.”

            Youngjae glared at Himchan while Daehyun looked at the two confused from the outside of the car.

            Himchan reached across Youngjae and opened the car door, “No one knows what the future will hold. There are no guarantees, even for vampires, so we have to make the most out of what we are given.”

            “Wow, really deep Himchan…” Daehyun stood there astonished, “I didn’t know you could think like that.”

            “Yah, what is that supposed to mean, pup?”

            Daehyun chuckled and backed up so Youngjae could get out of the car, “Nothing, nothing to worry about. Thanks for making sure my date got here alright.”  

            Youngjae rolled his eyes, “Let’s go already.”

            “Take care of each other,” Himchan winked.

            Youngjae groaned, walking towards the bar without saying goodbye. Daehyun jogged to catch up, a bundle of nervous energy, “Umm about what Himchan was saying…”

            “Don’t worry about it. That’s just Himchan being Himchan,” Youngjae answered simply.

            “If that’s what you want to tell me,” Daehyun shrugged.

            “Yeah, that’s all you’re getting,” Youngjae said frustrated, his emotions still all over the place.

            “Fine,” Daehyun smiled, “at least I still have you here with me.”

            Youngjae rolled his eyes, “So cheesy.”

            Daehyun smirked as he rushed forward to open the door for Youngjae, “Admit it, you like it.”

            “I don’t—“

            “Ah, ah ah!” Daehyun waved his finger in front of Youngjae’s face. “Don’t forget I’m supernatural too and I can hear your heart beat faster when I say things like that.”

            Youngjae’s jaw dropped and then he looked away not sure what to say to redeem himself, instead choosing to walk inside.

            Daehyun chuckled, “It’s cute seeing you blush. I feel like I’m getting treated to a rare sight.”

            “I—what?!” Youngjae put his hands on his face. Feeling the heat he cursed himself for feeding earlier, even though he had needed it.

            Daehyun smiled as he walked up beside Youngjae again, “I hope you drank enough blood for tonight, because it is now my goal to make you blush as much as I can.”

            “That… what a stupid goal!” Youngjae finally sputtered out.

            “This should be fun,” Daehyun chuckled as he wrapped his arm around Youngjae’s waist.

            The vampire jumped, not expecting the touch, but was in such shock that he allowed the werewolf to lead him over to the bar counter. Youngjae took a quick step out of Daehyun’s grasp to reach the chairs before him, lifting himself into the chair. Daehyun smirked, but said nothing as he claimed the stool beside Youngjae. Youngjae caught the bartender’s eye and since he was a regular the bartender quickly made her way over to him so they could put in their drinks.

            “On your tab?” She asked as her hands busily worked to prepare the simple drinks, whiskey for Youngjae and a beer on tap for Daehyun.

            “Ye—“

            “On mine,” Daehyun cut in.

            Her eyebrows shot up in surprise, but immediately she ducked her head to hide her smile, “Whatever you say, sugar.”

            Youngjae was getting ready to protest, but the bartender walked away. Instead he sent his fiery gaze onto Daehyun. “Really?”

            Daehyun shrugged before taking a drink of his beer, “It’s a date. I’m allowed to pay for you.”

            Youngjae’s eye twitched, “I don’t like it.”

            “Why not?” Daehyun pouted. “Am I not allowed to spoil my date?”

            The word vibrated through Youngjae but he worked hard to push the feeling down, “You paying for me makes me seem like the weaker one.”

            Daehyun’s lips twitched into a smile, “So, you want to pay for me so that it seems like I’m the weaker one?”

            “You are.”

            Daehyun laughed, “I’m the strongest werewolf of my generation.”

            Youngjae smiled. “Let me remind you that I am over 200 years old and fought in the werewolf vampire war the entire time, yet I’m still standing. Trust me when I say that I am the stronger one.”

            Youngjae took a drink of his whiskey as Daehyun’s expression turned unreadable, something Youngjae wasn’t accustomed to. He lowered his glass, “Did you forget that I’ve killed—“

            “So, we both aren’t going to concede to being the weaker one or the one who needs protection,” Daehyun cut Youngjae off and nodded. “So, we will have to take turns paying for each other.”

            “What?”

            Daehyun smiled, “You can pay for things on the next date.”

            Youngjae’s mouth fell open, “Did you not hear a word I said about the war?”

            Daehyun shrugged, “You killed when it was acceptable to kill and to save your own skin, have you killed a werewolf after it ended?”

            Youngjae scrunched his eyes as he thought about it, “Once in self-defense… but it was only a few days after the treaty was signed.”

            “So, why should I care how many werewolves you’ve killed? Yeah it we were on opposite sides and it is quite possible you have killed some of my family members, wow I really hope you haven’t because that would really and I’m not sure how I will be able to introduce you to my family, but you know, maybe they wouldn’t—“

            “Daehyun.”

            “Sorry,” Daehyun took a breath. “But, my family members have probably killed people you cared about to so, I think we should let the past lie in the past and try to move on.”

            Youngjae lowered his gaze to his glass where he swished around the contents in thought, “You’re very wise for your age.”

            “Bringing up our age difference all the time isn’t going to stop how I feel about you, you know this right?”

            Youngjae scowled, “That wasn’t what I was trying to do!”

            Daehyun chuckled, “Fine whatever, just making sure you knew.”

            “Age is important though,” Youngjae mumbled to himself.

            He saw Daehyun frown in the corner of his eye and mentally scolded himself over forgetting that werewolves had stronger hearing than humans and vampires.

            “How is it important? Is this why you are so cold to me?” Daehyun crossed his arms.

            Youngjae sighed, “I don’t want to talk about it.”

            “No,” Daehyun used his feet to push Youngjae’s stool around so the vampire was forced to face him. “Tell me. If you don’t explain then I won’t understand. Communication is key in a relationship—any type of relationship., He added when he saw Youngjae go to argue.

            Youngjae grumbled, but his legs were caught between Daehyun’s making leaning on the bar counter uncomfortable so he had to look at the serious werewolf. “Fine! You realize I’m immortal, right? I’m going to live forever unless someone kills me first and you… you are…” Youngjae waved his hands at Daehyun since his voice was betraying him.

            ‘Why am I sad about this pup dying?! It’s a fact of life! I should be over it!’

            Daehyun’s face turned somber, “And I’m a werewolf who will die before you.”

            Youngjae sighed and looked away.

            “Hey,” Daehyun touched Youngjae’s shoulder, “I know this isn’t fair to say but, I still want to be with you, I can’t help it. Wouldn’t five hundred years together be better than five hundred years alone?”

            “Who said I would be alone?” Youngjae scoffed.

            A growl erupted from Daehyun’s throat, making shivers roll down Youngjae’s spine, “Are you saying there is someone else?”

            “No,” Youngjae said a little too quickly. He cleared his throat as Daehyun’s grip on his shoulder relaxed, “that’s not what I’m saying at all, but it is possible that I could fall for someone else. Even after you die I could fall for someone else.”

            “You’re lying.”

            Youngjae’s eyes shot up to meet Daehyun’s confused look, “Why would you think that?”

            Daehyun leaned in closer, sniffing the vampire, “Yes it is coming from you…”

            Youngjae scoffed, “You can’t smell when people are lying.”

            “No, but I can smell fear,” Daehyun said as a matter of fact, “and werewolves have a better sense of other people’s emotions, through smell. Also, since you are my mate and we have touched once, I’m more attuned to what you feel.”

            Youngjae shut down, his face turning to stone and his eyes betraying nothing as he brought back the façade that saved him so many times in battle.

            Daehyun’s shoulders sagged, noticing the change, “Why are you purposely keeping me out? Why won’t you let me shower you in love? Why won’t you let me make you the happiest man on Earth for the centuries I’m alive?”

            ‘Because I don’t want to feel the pain of being abandoned again.’ Youngjae kept up his poker face as he pushed Daehyun’s left leg off the stool so he could turn back to the bar and pick up his glass. With one gulp he downed the rest of his whiskey.

            “Young—“

            “I met you here like I promised, right?” Youngjae interrupted. “I don’t actually have to stay here any longer.”

            Youngjae slid off his stool, “I’ll pay you back for the drink later.”

            “Or now,” Youngjae was taking by surprise by Daehyun grabbing him by the waist and dragging him out to the dance floor.

            “What are you doing?!”

            “Well, I’d grab your hand, but I am trying not to touch you,” Daehyun smiled.

            Youngjae scowled, “You know what I meant. Don’t make me repeat myself.”

            Daehyun chuckled, “Give me a dance or two. Allow me to help rid you of the stress I caused and then you can go.”

            “No.”

            “Youngjae,” Daehyun pouted, “please.”

            “I don’t dance,” Youngjae replied, although slightly distracted by the feeling of Daehyun massaging his hips through the fabric of his jacket.

            “Just this once,” Daehyun pulled Youngjae closer against him, “let me at least make it up to you so you don’t leave here angry at me.”

            Youngjae’s head was swimming, his senses full of Daehyun. His years of training were the only thing that was keeping his feelings to himself instead of broadcasting them easily to Daehyun. His glower remained on his face even though all he wanted to do was give into the playfully pouting werewolf who was already starting to sway them to the music.

            “Just two dances and then I’m leaving,” Youngjae thanked whatever was out there that his voice came out strong and bored instead of sounding like the whimpers that threatened to escape him.

            Daehyun immediately smiled and it took all of Youngjae’s self-control not to smile back at the cheerful werewolf. Youngjae was turned around before he knew what was happening; his back firmly pressed against Daehyun’s chest.

            “He—hey!” Youngjae gulped.

            Daehyun nuzzled his face into Youngjae’s shoulder which was covered by his jacket as Daehyun’s hands kept hold on the front of his belt, “If you want to be in the opposite positions then it’ll have to wait until the next date.”

            “There isn’t going to be another date,” Youngjae grumbled while fighting back the blush that threatened to take over his face.

            He could feel Daehyun smile against him, “Then it seems like you will never be the one in control of the date.”

            “Hey!”

            Daehyun chuckled, “Just relax will you? Let me take care of you tonight. The next time we see each other, which will happen sooner or later, we can trade off.”

            “Brat,” Youngjae said trying, but failing, to sound mad.

            “Relax,” Daehyun breathed onto his back.

            As if his words were a spell, Youngjae leaned against the werewolf, knowing instinctively that Daehyun would take care of him tonight like he promised he would. The feeling of finally lowering his guard felt freeing. It was something Youngjae hadn’t felt in a long time. Why he had let himself get carried away by Daehyun he had no idea, but he wasn’t regretting it. In the morning when he tried to convince himself that he still didn’t like the pup, maybe he would, but right then with warm arms encircling him, the consequences of the dance were far from his mind.

            “Why are you so nice to me?” Youngjae asked barely over a whisper, not actually intending on asking.

            “Because I love you,” Daehyun answered without hesitating, “and if you just let me I’d treat you like the most precious diamond, because that’s what you deserve.”

            ‘…’

            Daehyun sighed and slowly pulled away from Youngjae who choked back a whimper at the loss. Youngjae coughed, “Where are you going?”

            Daehyun smiled, but it looked forced, “That was two songs. They were long songs because they were the remixed version, but still… I won’t take advantage of you and keep you out here. You promised two songs and that’s all I’ll take. I won’t force myself on you.”

            Youngjae was happy they were close enough to the speakers so that Daehyun couldn’t hear his heart pounding. It was hard enough for him to keep his face straight and his hands by his side instead of around the younger’s waist. ‘I need to let him go; I have to let him go. I can’t allow myself to fall for him. Just tell him to leave, just say good bye. Why won’t my voice come out?!’

            “I hope I’m able to see you soon,” Daehyun smiled weakly before turning for the bar to pay his tab off.

            ‘Why does he have to be so ing nice?!’

            Once people officially blocked Youngjae’s view of Daehyun’s back Youngjae was able to blink. He sulked over to the corner where he sat at an empty table. ‘I don’t like him. I don’t like him. I hate the way he smiles. I hate the way his hands feel around my waist. I hate the way he is so confident yet still acts so caring to others. And I hate how much he truly loves me.’

            Youngjae shook his head, “I can’t do this. I need air. I need some type of distraction.”

            Youngjae ran for the door as if it was his only chance of survival. He bumped and shoved people, but was out of ear shot before they could voice their complaints. Soon enough he was outside and breathing in a lung full of fresh air to clear his head.

            ‘See, out here I’ll be able to think straight and see through his words to—‘

            He stilled as he smelt Daehyun still close by. Youngjae was about to start his run home until he picked apart the other smells coming from the same direction as Daehyun. He slowly exhaled with his eyes closed and concentrated on his hearing, seeing if he could pick anything up.

            “I’m not going to fight you.”

            Youngjae’s eyes shot open and before he knew it he was dashing towards the sound of Daehyun’s voice. He reached the scene in time to catch a punch that Daehyun was willing going to take from the group of vampires surrounding him. Youngjae glared at the vampire whose fist was clutched in his tightening grip, as he recognized the group to be JB’s minions.

            “What are you doing?” Youngjae asked furiously, to the group of vampires or to Daehyun even he wasn’t sure, but he was most furious at the ones who were attacking his werewolf.

            “What’s wrong with having a bit of fun?” The black haired one asked as he tried, but failed, to pull his fist away from Youngjae.

            “Yeah, well go have some fun with someone else. This werewolf is mine,” Youngjae said darkly before shoving his captive backwards towards the group.

            As his arm swung to his side his hand accidentally brushed Daehyun’s hand since they were standing next to each other. At first Youngjae felt comforted to know Daehyun was okay but when Youngjae heard Daehyun’s quick intake of breath, he felt horrible. ‘Touch two.’

            The tallest scoffed. “Yours?! Youngjae Yoo, one of the best werewolf killers is not only talking to werewolves now but going so far as to call Daehyun Jung his!?”

            ‘Jung?!’ Before Youngjae’s face could give in to his shock, he schooled his face into his trademark poker face.

            The one Youngjae remembered as Jr, from back when he lived at JB’s house laughed, “This is perfect. Just wait until JB finds out that you are dating the son of his worst enemy—hell a descendent of the werewolf all vampires hate.”

            Youngjae felt his heart drop into his stomach until he saw Daehyun looking at him full of guilt from the corner of his eye.

            “I was going to tell you eventually… I just didn’t want to ruin what we well…” Daehyun let the words float, not wanting to contradict Youngjae’s words.

            “You didn’t know?!” All the rebel vampires laughed.

            “The past is the past,” Youngjae said strongly, repeating Daehyun’s words from earlier. “Those kills were in times of war and had the Jung werewolf line been a vampires doing those acts we would be parading them around like royalty, much like we do JB,” Youngjae glared. “Let’s also not forget that the current Alpha is the one who offered the peace treaty.”

            “Only because that mutt was born!” Another black haired one hissed out.

            “Do his intentions really matter when the end result ended up so well?”

            The youngest looking one rolled his eyes, “So well, he says. The werewolves still exist; this is not what we wanted.”

            “This isn’t what you wanted,” Jr glared. “You didn’t even know he was a Jung. I doubt you’re dating. Just give him to us and we’ll never mention you were here.”

            “Yeah, prove it!” The tallest laughed. “If you can convince us that Youngjae Yoo, the legend, actually was able to overcome old grudges, then maybe maybe we’ll try to change our ways. If not then let us kill him.”

             Youngjae’s eyes flicked over to Daehyun who looked shocked.

           ‘I won’t let them hurt what’s mine.’ Youngjae was acting before truly thinking as he turned to face Daehyun.

            Daehyun gulped, seeing how close Youngjae was getting, “Please don’t if you don’t mean it… I don’t think I can take anymore without…”

            Youngjae chuckled as he pulled Daehyun closer by his jean jacket, “You’re in luck pup, your persistence has paid off.”

            While Daehyun was still in shock Youngjae closed the distance between them to press their lips together. To say that this kiss felt different from the ones Youngjae had before wouldn’t be a lie. He could feel his heart beating faster as well as Daehyun’s beneath his fingertips as his hands slid up the werewolf’s shoulders. He was getting lost in the feel of Daehyun’s plump lips against his and was melting under the werewolf’s touch as Daehyun was finally starting to get his mind working again.

            “I can’t believe it!”

            The voice brought Youngjae back to reality and he pulled back.

            “You kissed the son of the werewolf you killed your parents—all of our families!” Jr screamed.

            Youngjae’s eyes darkened as his arm wound around Daehyun, protectively, “That was a lie! You know it was a lie JB fed us to join the fight, to live for fighting! JB is the one who killed our families and you know it, Jr!”

            The group of vampires glared back, “You are a disgrace.”

            “And you are stuck in a lie, willing to believe anything that monster tells you because it’s too painful to believe otherwise.”

            Without another word the group ran off, leaving them alone. Worry bubbled up in Youngjae’s gut, knowing that this wasn’t going to be the last of them.

            “There are so many things I want to ask you about right now, things I know are important that I know the story to right away...”

            The worry Youngjae was feeling instantly dimmed as he heard Daehyun talk and was replaced with worry over something else. He gulped. Now that the danger was gone he was finally able to recognize the dilemma he had put himself into. ‘Holy hell what did I just do?! I never act that rashly!’

            “But honestly, the only thing I want to know right now is what that kiss meant.”

            “I thought you said you were the strongest in your generation.”

            Daehyun looked confused by the change of topic, but angry as his skills were called into question, “I am. I’m not one of the next candidates for Alpha just because I’m my father’s son.”

            “Then why were you going to allow them to hit you?” Youngjae dropped his arm away from Daehyun.

            Daehyun glared at Youngjae, “Because I won’t start the fight. I don’t want to fight. I was raised to try for peaceful solutions first, but the second I get hit it is self-defense and I would have taken them all down.”

            “That’s what I thought,” Youngjae sighed, hating that the answer Daehyun gave was the one he wanted to hear. ‘How much more different from JB could he get? How could I have ever thought that Dae—yeah Daehyun would have used me the same way as that ?’

                        Youngjae stalled for a brief second before shaking his head slightly at himself. ‘I really can’t deny my feelings after this can I? I literally jumped in front of my own kind to save him. Even knowing he is a Jung I still want to have him—hell I called him MINE!  I would kill anyone before I let them touch him in a harmful way.’

            “Youngjae, would you answer my question,” Daehyun asked, practically demanding an answer from the tone he used. “I could have dealt with them, I didn’t need you to step in and then kiss me if you don’t actually have feelings for me.”

            ’What the am I supposed to do now?!’

            “Just tell me…” Daehyun’s voice was on the verge of breaking as he hesitantly placed his hands on Youngjae’s hips. “Just please tell me if I need to move to the other side of the world so I can’t ever see you again or… or if I can just kiss you already.”

            “…” Youngjae whispered under his breath, his heart breaking to see just how sad Daehyun was. “Why did you have to do this? Why the did you make me fall for you when you can’t stay with me forever?”

            Daehyun’s hands gripped Youngjae more securely as new found hope shone in his eyes, “No one knows what the future will hold for us, so can’t we just let ourselves be happy now?”

            Youngjae leaned his head against Daehyun’s forehead and closed his eyes, “I’m scared… I don’t want to be hurt again.”

            “Don’t be scared, I’m here with you now and I promise to love you and make you happy for the rest of my life if you’ll just let me,” Daehyun softly rubbed Youngjae’s back.

                Youngjae wrapped his arms around Daehyun’s shoulders as exhaled in disbelief, “I hate you.”

                Daehhyun smiled as he pulled Youngjae closer, “I love you too.”

                Youngjae’s lips twitched into a smile, “Brat.”

                “But you love me anyhow.”

                “Hey! I—“

                Youngjae’s words were muffled as Daehyun tilted his head so their lips could touch. As Daehyun Youngjae’s bottom lip, the vampire sighed and opened his mouth, fully relaxing in Daehyun’s hold. ‘I love you.’


A/N: I'm sorry like ugh I don't know... I love this chapter yet at the same time I hate it.

I'm so sorry if I effed this up like ugghhhh I don't know, I really don't know.

 

Could someone please tell me what it is that is driving me crazy? Like what could I have done better? T_T

*sighs* I swear I'll try harder on the next chapter >.