Under The Moonlight

I'll be Your Sun if You'll be my Moon

            During the following weeks it seemed that Youngjae would always run into Daehyun. When Youngjae and Himchan went to their favorite bar, Daehyun was there throwing a party; then they went to a coffee shop for Himchan on a cloudy day, Daehyun was there doing homework; even the time when Youngjae ran to the convenient store for toothpaste at 3am, Daehyun was there buying coffee for a late night study session.

            There seemed no possible way for Youngjae to escape him and, to be honest, the werewolf was growing on him. He was obviously not just a muscle head, but also studious and kind. Daehyun also tried to impress Youngjae whenever he saw him or asked him about his day, all normal questions without trying to outstep his boundaries. Even when he didn’t know Youngjae was there, like one time Youngjae spotted him walking through a park after a night at the club, he stayed true to Youngjae. Surrounded by girls and guys begging for his attention, the werewolf had politely declined them all even though he smelled heavily of alcohol and was obviously feeling needy.

            Daehyun had Youngjae’s attention and slowly he was opening up to the fact that not all werewolves were bad, especially not his werewolf. This didn’t mean Youngjae was fully accepting of Daehyun and their relationship. There were many obstacles against them, so many that it made him not want to think about the relationship at all, not that he wanted one with this werewolf in the first place. What was the point of falling in love if they would have to live a hard life afterwards? No, it was easier to go about life without falling for the werewolf. It was just so hard though when it seemed like whenever Youngjae left his house he would run into Daehyun.

            The worst part about always seeing Daehyun outside was that it forced Youngjae to think about him later and his heart would whisper ‘why not?’ and then Himchan would about being too stubborn to accept the poor boy. Youngjae thought it was the worst just having to think about him all day, but now he had finally decided on the worst possible thing about having a hot werewolf like him.

            ‘Did I really just dream about him!?’  Youngjae groaned in frustration before throwing his pillow across the room.

            Youngjae slowly dragged himself out of bed with a scowl on his face. ‘Did I really just….’ He shook his head unwilling to think about the cute domestic dream again.

             ‘He is a werewolf and I’m a vampire. Maybe Himchan was wrong about werewolves finding their mate… maybe they can imprint on more than one person…’ A ping of guilt stabbed his heart as he knew what he was saying wasn’t true. He pushed his guilt aside as he stood up and began getting ready for his night.

            ‘Why should I care about him anyhow? He doesn’t mean anything to me,' Youngjae thought indifferently.

            The entire time he was getting ready his thoughts shifted from sympathy and indifference, unable to stop thinking about the werewolf. It was driving Youngjae crazy. He was still putting on his grey sweater when he dialed up Himchan, needing some kind of distraction.

            “Youngjae, this better be good,” Himchan grumbled, his voice still sounding half asleep.

            “Get your out of bed, old man,” Youngjae teased his friend. “Let’s go do something.”

            “The sun is still in the sky; I don’t want to get up,” Himchan whined.

            Youngjae huffed as he brought the phone over to the mirror where he started doing his hair. “Himchan, I’m going to go insane if—“

            Instantly Himchan perked up, “Thinking about your puppy again?”

            “He isn’t my puppy. He’s just a pup… who has an interest in me. Not mine.”

            Himchan chuckled, “So you need a distraction from your puppy?”

            “Damn it, Himchan,” Youngjae looked at his phone, regretting he had ever called his friend. “I’ll see you later.”

            “Wait wait! Give me 20 minutes and then head over. We’ll go out. I know the best thing to do tonight.”

            “Really?” Youngjae was skeptical.

            “Oh yes, so are you going to come by?”

            “Yeah, bye,” Youngjae hung up and sighed. ‘Nothing better to do besides think about my—no! Not mine damn it Himchan. About Dae—‘ Youngjae groaned. “The pup. Forget his wonderful name, for now he is just pup.”

            ‘Did I just say wonderful?’

 

            “Where are we going?” Youngjae asked as Himchan drove them to their destination. The sun was sitting low in the sky almost setting as it painted the sky in hues of dark red, orange, and purple.

            Himchan smirked, “You’ll see. It’s going to be great tonight.”

            Youngjae peered over at Himchan suspiciously, “I thought you said we were going to view the flowers under the moonlight.”

            “Yes yes,” Himchan nodded. “With lots of drinking and celebrating the coming of Spring or whatever.”

            “Somehow I just don’t trust your intentions.”

            Himchan scoffed, “What, did you want me to bring you somewhere you could see your puppy?”

            “Shut up!” Youngjae snapped. “And he isn’t mine!”

            Himchan chuckled, “I’m sure, anyhow we made it.”

            Youngjae looked out the heavily tinted window, “It’s a meadow.”

            “No , Captain Obvious,” Himchan rolled his eyes. “There is a huge hill with tons of Cherry Blossom trees and boulders, but at the bottom of the other side is the forest. There is a ton of room to party and no houses around to bother. Perfect place.”

            “If you say so,” Youngjae sighed. He wasn’t feeling in the mood to actually try conversing with people, but if it got his mind off of the werewolf, whose name would not be mentioned ever, then it would be worth it.

            They climbed the hill, Himchan carrying booze and food, and Youngjae carrying a blanket and more alcohol. The sun was almost all the way lowered and was behind clouds at this point, so the sun’s rays weren’t affecting them. It was turning into a beautiful night and Youngjae loved all the pink and white flowered trees.

            “You don’t want to sit over there?” Himchan pointed towards the rowdy bunch of vampires who were partying near the biggest boulders.

            “Not really…” Youngjae looked over at a quieter space beneath a couple of trees and pointed. “How about over there?”

            Himchan shrugged, “Sure, we have all night to party. Might as well enjoy the flowers for a bit too.”

            Youngjae nodded, tired of always partying. During the war there were less parties since there was always the danger of finding werewolves, but the last twenty years had been full of them. Sooner or later, Youngjae was going to have to pick up a new hobby before he bored himself to a second death. So, they walked over to where Youngjae had pointed and Youngjae inspected the ground. When he was satisfied he had found the perfect area, no rocks, no holes, no mud, he placed the blanket down. Himchan was still putting down the food and drinks when Youngjae plopped down onto the blanket with a sigh.

            There was a nice breeze that pushed down the hill, making the trees sway gently. It couldn’t drown out the sound of the partying vampires who were quite a distance away, but when he closed his eyes he was able to imagine he was farther away from them. They were in a time of peace and nights like tonight definitely highlighted that.

            “Someone is relaxed,” Himchan chuckled.

            Youngjae smiled, “It’s a nice night. Good call on coming here Himchan.”

            “Of course it was. I always have the best ideas,” Himchan scoffed.

            “Right,” Youngjae chuckled. “By the way, why did you bring so much food?”

            “Hm? What are you talking about?”

            Youngjae’s eyes slowly opened and he sat up, “Himchan.”

            “What?” Himchan busied himself with the bag of food.

            “We’ve known each other long enough that I know when you are trying to hide something,” Youngjae narrowed his eyes as he stared at the older vampire’s back.

            “No idea what you are talking about,” Himchan said in a higher pitched voice.

            “Him—“

            “Youngjae!”

            “I’m going to kill you,” Youngjae hissed out at his friend as he turned to see the werewolf running towards him.

            Himchan chuckled, “We are at the edge of a forest on the night of the full moon. What did you expect?”

            “It’s the full moon!?” Youngjae groaned before putting his face in his hands.

            “You didn’t know?” Daehyun smirked as he approached with his friend Jongup by his side.

            The boys were wearing plain white t-shirts with old jeans. The shirts looked worn, but they fit the two werewolves so well the two vampires couldn’t help but stare.

            “Hello, Earth to Youngjae,” Daehyun chuckled as he sat beside the vampire on the blanket.

            Youngjae blinked seeing Daehyun move, “Who told you that you could sit?”

            “Himchan, can I sit here?” Daehyun asked.

            “Of course. Would you like some food while we watch the moon rise?” Himchan offered.

            “I knew I smelt food!” Daehyun smiled widely.

            “I smelt it first!” Jongup plopped down near Himchan and the bag of food. “You just started running in this direction because you said you could smell your mate.”

            At Youngjae’s look, Daehyun could only smile sheepishly as he accepted a plate of cold cut sandwiches from Himchan.

            “I thought I told you to stop calling me that.”

            “But what else am I supposed to call you?” Daehyun groaned. “It’s easier just to call you my mate.”

            “He’s got a point,” Himchan said absentmindedly as he handed Jongup a plate with a even higher mountain of sandwiches.

            “Why are you on the werewolf’s side?” Youngjae looked at Himchan, feeling betrayed.

            Himchan shrugged, “You are being stubborn, and you know it. Oh, Jongup you got some mustard…” He reached forward with a napkin and wiped Jongup’s cheek.

            Jongup smiled shyly before wiping the same place. “Thanks…”

            Youngjae frowned, “Jongup, have you found your mate yet?”

            “What?!” Jongup asked in surprise.

            “Why do you ask?” Himchan asked.

            Youngjae shrugged, “Just curious.”

            “Werewolves can’t find their other half until after they turn 20.”

            Surprised by Daehyun’s darker tone, Youngjae turned to look at him. His eyes were hard and his lips were pressed into a thin line as the food in Daehyun’s hands lay forgotten for the moment as the werewolf stared at Jongup.

            ‘Werewolves…’ Youngjae rolled his eyes and sighed. “I’m not trying to hit on Jongup, I was honestly just curious how it was going for him.”

            Immediately, Daehyun flicked his eyes to Youngjae. Seeing that the vampire was looking at him, his back completely facing Jongup, Daehyun relaxed and finally took a bite of his sandwich.

            “You aren’t 20 yet?” Himchan asked in amazement.

            Jongup smiled, “Next year!”

            “So that means I only have a year left before you forget us and go find your mate. Werewolves grow up so fast,” Himchan cooed as he pinched Jongup’s cheek.

            “I won’t forget you,” Jongup chuckled. “How can I forget someone who gives me food?”

            “Yah! So I’m only good for the food I bring? I’m hurt,” Himchan clutched his heart.

            “It’s really good food,” Daehyun mumbled.

            “Yah!” Himchan threw a napkin at the laughing werewolf.

            Suddenly both of the younger boys fell silent as they looked up at the sky. Youngjae followed their sight and saw that the top of the moon was barely visible above the tree line. Jongup grinned as wide as his face would allow him before he stuffed the sandwich in his mouth.

            “Thanks Himchan!”

            “Taking off already?” Himchan asked with a pout as Jongup stood up.

            Jongup nodded happily while he swallowed his food, “Yeah! I really appreciate the food. I wasn’t able to eat much earlier because of school.”

            Himchan tsked, “You need to transform tonight yet you didn’t even properly prepare yourself. What am I to do with you?”

            Jongup shrugged, “Keep feeding me?”

            Himchan chuckled, “I’ll keep doing that then until you find your own mate.”

            The sound of wolves' howling filled the air. Practically bouncing up and down from excitement, Jongup pulled his shirt off to start getting ready to transform, “Will you watch my clothes for me?”

            “I…what?” Himchan’s mouth was hanging open. Youngjae didn’t blame him because he was lost for words too.

            “It’s okay if you can’t,” Jongup said starting to unbuckle his pants. “We wear old clothes in case we can’t find them tomorrow, but I accidentally wore this belt today and I really like it.”

            “Belt?” Himchan squeaked.

            Just as Jongup was about to drop his pants Youngjae heard a growl from his left. Jongup’s smirk left his face as he looked over at Daehyun. Obviously he saw some kind of warning there because he buckled his belt again.

            “I’ll be right back!” Jongup jogged behind a tree.

            “What was that about?” Youngjae’s smile dropped as he saw how mad Daehyun looked.

            “What was what about?” Daehyun answered before taking another bite of his sandwich.

            “You growled at him. I know you are older, but you shouldn’t abuse your powers over him like that.”

            “And you didn’t have to stare at him like he was the last human on Earth,” Daehyun grumbled.

            Youngjae was taken aback, unable to answer, “I was not staring.”

            Daehyun pouted, “The only difference between you and Himchan is that you didn’t drool.”

            “! I was drooling?!” Himchan wiped at his mouth.

            Before Youngjae could come up with some sort of retort or type of defense for himself he spotted a large wolf trotting over to them with pants hanging from his mouth, “Jongup?”

            “You are so pretty,” Himchan smiled as he tugged the pants from Jongup.

            Jongup yipped and wagged his tail.

            “He says thank you,” Daehyun translated.

            “Of course he does,” Himchan chuckled. “Can I pet you?”

            Himchan held out his hand and Jongup closed the gap, nuzzling into Himchan’s cold hand. Himchan ruffled the wolf’s dark brown fur with honey highlights tenderly.

            “I won’t keep you,” Himchan patted the wolf’s head one last time. “Go enjoy yourself and make sure you don’t forget who gave you that energy you needed to transform.”

            Jongup barked and Himchan’s hand before running down the hill after his pack. Himchan chuckled and wiped his hand on Jongup’s shirt, “I’m going to go put his clothes in the car.”

            “Himchan,” Youngjae glared.

            “Behave young ones,” Himchan waved as he headed back to the car.

            “I’m not that young!”

            Youngjae and Daehyun turned towards each other as they realized they had answered Himchan at the same time. A small chuckle escaped both of them as they looked back towards the forest.

            “He calls you young too?” Daehyun asked, trying to make small talk.

            “He is 323 years old,” Youngjae pouted. “I’m really not that much younger than him…”

            Daehyun hummed in agreement before taking the last bite of his sandwich. They sat in pleasant silence, listening to the howls of the wolves and the partying vampires. Youngjae had nothing to say to Daehyun and he assumed Daehyun wasn’t sure what to say to him, that wouldn’t make him mad, not much, so Youngjae allowed himself to relax slowly in the quiet.

            ‘What a beautiful night.’ Youngjae thought. ‘The moon looks gigantic tonight. Wait… full moon…’

            Youngjae frowned before shifting his gaze to Daehyun. Like Youngjae had assumed, the werewolf looked uncomfortable, like his skin was too small to contain him, and he was fidgeting with his fingers. Now that Youngjae really looked at him he could see all the pent up energy Daehyun was holding back.

            Youngjae sighed, “Why aren’t you joining your pack?”

            Daehyun jumped, not expecting Youngjae to speak. He recovered and quickly put a smirk on his face as he leaned closer to Youngjae, “Worried I’m going to leave you? There’s no need. I’m prepared to stay by your side all night.”

            Youngjae rolled his eyes and raised a hand, “Let’s do this again, shall we? Like always, 5 seconds to give me the real answer. 5… 4… 3…”

            “I missed you!” Daehyun shouted out, worry evident on his face over what would happen when Youngjae hit 0.

            Youngjae blinked as his hand stalled in the air, three fingers still up.

            “Why won’t you ever let me be cool around you?” Daehyun groaned and ran his hand through his hand, a habit Youngjae recognized as the one he did when he was frustrated or nervous, “Do you realize how embarrassing it is to admit I feel so relaxed in your presence even though you despise me?”

                “I don’t despise you…” Youngjae mumbled as he dropped his hand.

                Daehyun perked up and smiled, “You like me?!”

                “Woah! I wouldn’t go that far!” Youngjae leaned away from Daehyun. “I just… I don’t hate you.”

                Daehyun chuckled, “Well, it’s a start.”

                Youngjae scoffed and sat up straight again, “How can you even miss someone when you saw them earlier today?”

                Daehyun frowned, “I didn’t see you today. It was Monday at the bar.”

                “Ah yeah that’s right.”

                “Did you see me earlier? I don’t remember going anywhere besides school…” Daehyun peered at Youngjae.

                Youngjae shook his head, “Nope, it wasn’t today. This is the first time I’ve been out.”

                Daehyun chuckled. “So what, did you dream about me?”

                “I—dream about you?!” Youngjae scoffed and crossed his arms. “Why would I dream about you?”

                “Why did your heart speed up?” Daehyun laughed. “You really dreamed about me? So lucky, I wish I had dreams about you. What was it about? Was it a dirty dream? Do you want me to make that dream come true?”

                “Woah! No!” Youngjae leaned away. He thanked the stars that he hadn’t had time to feed yet today, so he wasn’t able to blush.

                Daehyun laughed even harder, “You are so cute!”

                Youngjae scowled at the werewolf dying in laughter. “I am not cute. I am 220 years old which is too old to be called cute.”

                Daehyun nodded and wiped at his eyes, “You are adorable. No matter how old you get you will still be fluffy and cute to me. Ah! Your heart picked up again.”

                “Shut up,” Youngjae growled and turned away from Daehyun, not liking how the younger’s words affected him. Unable to keep his eyes off of this particular pup for long, Youngjae’s eyes flicked back to Daehyun, trying to see his side profile.

                “You have a leaf in your hair,” Youngjae frowned and reached his hand out to get it.

                “I can get it,” To his surprise, Daehyun flinched away before Youngjae could touch him and swiped his hair until he felt the leaf fall out.

                Youngjae laughed, “Why did you move away? If you like me so much you wouldn’t move, pup.”

                As if to prove that Daehyun didn’t truly like him, or felt disgusted by being touched by him, Youngjae stuck his hand out again to touch Daehyun’s face. He silently gulped as he saw Daehyun close his eyes and stick his ground, but he hesitantly kept moving forward.

                “Youngjae!” A gust of wind preceded Himchan’s arrival as he grabbed Youngjae’s elbow as he was just a mere centimeter from touching Daehyun.

                Youngjae looked back at Himchan curiously, “Himchan?”

                “You can’t touch Daehyun.”

                “Um… why?” Youngjae looked between a scared Himchan and a somewhat relieved Daehyun.

                “This would be the first time Daehyun and you would touch correct? If you touch then your connection will get stronger.”

                “What?” Youngjae asked in shock.

                Himchan nodded as he released Youngjae’s arm seeing that the younger understood, “Since he imprinted on you, the more you two touch the more Daehyun will long to touch you and be close to you.”

                Youngjae gaped at Himchan before turned his gaze solely on Daehyun, “Why would you let me touch you then, you idiot?”

                Daehyun shrugged and looked down, his face slightly red, “Maybe I just wanted to prove I lov—like you.”

                Youngjae groaned and rubbed his temples, “Thank the stars Himchan is our expert on Werewolves.”

                Himchan sighed sadly, “Things don’t need to be this difficult.”

                Youngjae glared at Himchan who only shrugged. Youngjae shook his head. ‘What am I supposed to do with this pup?’

                Daehyun whined, coughing immediately afterwards as if to cover it up.

                “Would you go out there and run already?!” Youngjae shouted frustrated, not happy that Daehyun was in pain. “You are too young to be able to go through a full moon phase without transforming without having horrendous pain! Even I know that!”

                “I don’t know when I’ll see you again though,” Daehyun said behind gritted teeth. The pain was increasing now that the moon was completely in the sky. “I want to spend as much time with you as I can.”

                “Fine! In two days it should be Friday and you’ll be out of school for the week, right? Let’s meet up at the bar we first saw each other at.”

                Daehyun’s jaw dropped, the pain forgotten momentarily, “Really?”

                “Yes, now stop hurting yourself and go run,” Youngjae urged.

                Daehyun grinned and immediately stripped off his shirt. Youngjae’s eyes studied Daehyun’s muscles as he stood up.

                “I have to strip all the way. Are you going to keep staring?” Daehyun smirked, happy that Youngjae was staring.

                “You don’t have to strip here,” Youngjae looked away with a scowl.

                “Maybe I want to,” Daehyun teased.

                The rustle of cloth told Youngjae that Daehyun really was taking his pants off right beside him. His mind was lost in disbelief until he saw Himchan’s eyes looking past him. Before Youngjae knew what he was doing his eyes darkened and he hissed. Himchan’s eyes widened in amusement even more when he saw the confused look on Youngjae’s face.

                Youngjae felt the air nearby vibrate and then he felt a nudge on his shoulder. Daehyun had now turned into a werewolf and Youngjae was in awe. ‘He looks so majestic. The feel from him is so different from the wolves during the war…’

                “I want to pet you, but that would count as touching, right?”

                Daehyun nodded and turned to go, but it looked like he was internally battling himself. With a whine, Daehyun quickly returned to Youngjae and Youngjae’s face.

                “Yah! Come back here you mutt!” Youngjae screamed. Daehyun yipped happily before running off.

                “So…” Himchan said.

                “I don’t want to talk about the hiss, I don’t understand it,” Youngjae answered expecting Himchan’s question. He wiped the saliva off his face instead of looking at Himchan.

                “Not what I was going to ask, I already know you feel possessive of your pup. But did you really just make a date with him?” Himchan teased.

                “Shut up,” Youngjae mumbled as he threw the napkin down on Daehyun's deserted plate.

                “Well, well, well, look who we have here,” A venom-filled voice called out. “I shouldn’t be surprised to see who we have here mixing with the enemy.”

                Both Himchan and Youngjae immediately went on guard as they glared towards the voice. There stood JB with his group of minions. Anger filled Youngjae from head to toe.

                “The war ended 20 years ago, Jaebum,” Himchan said with an even tone. “Vampires and werewolves are no longer enemies.”

                “So says the werewolf freak,” One of the taller ones said, causing the rest of the group to snicker.

                “I expected it from Himchan Kim the first traitor of our kind,” JB said.

                “He researched the werewolves to help bring peace between—“ Youngjae tried sticking up for his friend.          

                “But Youngjae… I turned you specifically to fight the wolves, I raised you to hate them, I gave you love because you fought them so well, but here you are talking with them, going against your own kind.”

                Anger burned through Youngjae’s veins, “I am not going against my own kind.”

                “Really?” JB laughed. “Because as your creator and ex-boyfriend it sure looked like—“

                It was Youngjae’s turn to cut him off, “It’s a puppy with a crush. Nothing that will last long.”

                “Well now, we can’t blame the puppy for falling for you can we but,” JB’s demeanor grew darker as he stared Youngjae down, “Nothing better happen.”

                Youngjae waited for them to turn their backs before grabbing his heart which thumped painful. ‘Why does it hurt so much to think Daehyun could get over me? It isn’t even possible so I need to calm down—why should that calm me down?!’

                “You okay, Youngjae?” Himchan asked worried.

                Youngjae nodded and lowered his hand. “Yeah, JB is nothing I can’t handle.”

                “I know there is a lot of history there, but—“

                “I’m done here. I’m going home,” Youngjae rose to his feet.

                Himchan sighed and stood up as well. “You can’t let him haunt you forever. I’m here if you want to talk about it.”

                “I’ll see you around,” Youngjae picked up Daehyun’s clothes, without thinking about it and dashed towards civilization, towards his house, but most importantly away from his past.


A/N: And here I started the chapter worried it was going to be too short... 

There is SO much I want to do with this story and I'm just hoping I don't mess it up.

So, here is until next time~

Thanks for all the inspring comments, subscibes, and upvotes ^_^ I'll try not to let you down

 

You're curious right? right?? Were you expecting any of this? 

i really need to finish this... I'm dying to tell people about the plot.