Let's Make a Deal...

Cheer Up, Dude

Kiseop sat on the ground at lunch looking down at his fire deck of pokemon cards when he remembered that he hadn't seen Jekyung yet today. "Maybe she gave up" he thought

Just when he thought it was actually over, someone put a bowl of rice topped with curry in front of him and a cup of cold water. 

"So this is what I'm thinking" Jekyung started as she sat down next to him in his favorite shadow. Kiseop felt like getting up to leave. "Jeez, this girl is persistant.." he thought

"I really wanna help you, with your anti-socialism. It seems to be a burden on you.. I saw you in the halls looking at this one girl.. She's really pretty.. What's her name?" she asked.

"Come on.." Kiseop pleaded

"Tell me" Jekyung demanded. 

Kiseop sighed. He did have a crush on this girl for a long time and had no clue how to talk to her, let alone talk to anyone else. "Her name is Jungah"

"Aaaah. Pretty name for a pretty girl.." Jekyung smiled and took in a spoonful of her rice. "This was my idea. I help you with your communication skills and whatnot.. And we don't have to be friends. I'm just here to help. Once I feel that you're ready for me to step away, I will and never bother you again" Jekyung proposed. 

Kiseop lowered his head and thought. 

"Because I can tell you don't like me" she added. 

Kiseop looked at her in shock. "it's not that.. You're just.. Annoying" he corrected her

"HA! I get that a lot!" she laughed. 

"Are you ready to talk to people?" Jekyung asked him. He still looked down at the ground they were sitting on and drew pictures with a small stick..

"Well...?" she said again.

".... Sure.. I'm ready" he finally agreed. Jekyung did a fist pump. "Yes.. Okay. We start tomorrow.. Make sure to eat all your rice. I'll meet you here at lunch tomorrow.." Jekyung beamed and sat up and walked away without a goodbye. 

Kiseop agreed with himself that Jekyung was annoying as all get out, but he was happy someone finally cared to help him with one of his problems''

----

"Honey, how was your day at school?" Kiseop's mother greeted her son when he came home late. 

"It was actually nice" Kiseop said truthfully. Kiseop's birth mother was the only person he could really open up to. "Really? What happened?" she asked. Kiseop smiled as he walked to the fridge for a snack. "Well, you see..." he started, but was cut off by a car door slam outside. 

"That must be your father" Kiseop's mother said. Kiseop's step father was an alcoholic and would beat his mother on almost a daily basis. 

Kiseop's mother headed for the door to let her husband in when Kiseop looked into the living room and mumbled "He's not my father"

----

"How was your day sweetheart?" Jekyung's step father smiled as she walked into the kitchen. "Fine I guess. I thought you were at work" she said coldly. 

"Came home early, to see my two beauties" he giggled. Jekyung gagged as she headed for the stairs. "I'm gunna go do my homework" she trudged up the stairs and slammed the door. Her step father made her sick to her stomach. 

----

In the middle of periods, Jekyung decided to hit the library to study for her exam in Korean history. When she walked in, the first thing her eyes landed on was Kiseop, reading a book. She smiled and walked over to his table without hesitation.

"So you do come out of the dark sometimes" she smiled while she looked down at him. Kiseop looked up from his book, saw her, and sighed. "Just reading a book" he said blankly. 

"So.. Tell me more about this Jungah.." Jekyung asked as she sat down next to him

"Will you just let me read?" he asked. 

"Take a break from reading for a few minutes" she smiled

Kiseop sighed again and looked at her, his first time actually looking at her this close.

"She's a year above us.. And I've known her for years.. She knows my name, but she never talks to me"

"She doesn't talk to you because you never give her the chance to.."

Kiseop rolled his eyes. Though Jekyung was right, he didn't want her to be. "What do we do?"

"For our first exercise.." she started, but stopped when Kiseop let out an annoyed groan. "Just listen" she felt like slapping him. 

"For step one, I'm going to walk you through the whole campus. Have you been through the whole campus?"

"I did for orientation, but since then, no"

"Okay, then we'll go walking around" Jekyung smiled

----

While Kiseop and Jekyung walked through the halls, kids would throw pieces of crumpled paper, aimed for Kiseop. A few times, Jekyung wanted to stand up for him, but Kiseop would stop her every time, so eventually, she stopped trying. 

"Why do kids do this to you?" she asked

"I don't know" he sighed. 

Soon, the two made it to the cafeteria, and Jekyung stopped in the middle of the building.

"So where is she?" she asked

"Who?" Kiseop tilted his head. 

"Jungah" Jekyung said looking around

"Hey! That wasn't part of step one!" Kiseop snapped. "What part should that be then?"

"I don't know! Not step one! I'm not ready"

"Sure you are!" Jekyung smiled when she looked around the tables for a girl that might be Jungah. When Jekyung wasn't looking, Kiseop dashed out of the cafeteria. Jekyung turned around and saw him run out.

"YAH!! LEE KISEOP-AH!" she shouted and ran after him.

"This isn't going too well.. But it's just the beginning. Don't quit on him now, Kyung" Jekyung thought to herself in her head while she searched for her runaway.