The Past is The Past

Cheer Up, Dude

Jekyung and her friends watched Hyunseung walk on campus leisurely and up to his ex. "I've missed you" he said before planting a kiss on her pink lips. Jekyung back away and gasped, as did Luna and Kevin. 

That's when Soohyun decided to step in.. Soohyun stomped over to Hyunseung and grabbed his collar. "Listen here, you punk" he started. 

"I'm listening" Hyunseung smiled and elbowed Soohyun right in the nose. He fell to the ground as his nose started to drip with blood. "That girl you just kissed. She has a boyfriend" Soohyun declared as he stood up..

"Yeah, I know. I'm her boyfriend" Hyunseung raised his voice. 

"No you're not" everyone heard a familiar voice from afar. 

"I am. I am her boyfriend.." Kiseop stood up to the plate and crossed his arms. "I don't ever want you to touch her again.."

"You obviously don't know who you're dealing with.." Hyunseung smirked and punched Kiseop in the stomach. Jekyung gasped and ran to Kiseop's side. "Are you okay?" she asked. 

"I'm okay. Just leave" Kiseop groaned. "Yeah, so I can kick your in private" Hyunseung shouted. "Hyunseung, please stop now.. We can talk about this later. Just don't hurt.... My boyfriend" Jekyung pleaded.

"No, I think this needs to be dealt with now" Hyunseung sighed and kicked Kiseop while he was down. 

Kiseop coughed and gagged while his attacker laughed under his breath.

"J-Jekyuung tol-ld me s-something once" Kiseop managed to say. "Yeah? What's that?" Hyunseung asked

"She said the number one thing she hated about you was that you got into fights and that you were violent. So, as her new boyfriend, I will not make the same mistake you did. I will not lose her like you did" Kiseop explained when he finally caught his breath. "Well, how will you protect her?" Hyunseung asked

"I am going to remove her from this bad environment..." Kiseop started then looked at Jekyung. "You have to leave now... Please... I'm begging you. I don't want you to watch this" Kiseop begged. Jekyung could feel herself tear up. "I won't let him hurt you" Jekyung cried. 

Kiseop smiled and caressed her cheek with the palm of his hand.. "No matter what happens, I'll come back. We can go home and you can take care of me there" he said a little louder so Hyunseung could hear. 

Jekyung sniffled and nodded her head. "So just go" Kiseop said one more time and kissed Jekyung on the cheek, making her heart flutter. All of the butterflies in her stomach woke up and swarmed around her interior.

Then, Jekyung could feel a tug on her hand. It was Eli trying to pull her away from the scene. Jekyung took one more look of Kiseop's face and ran away with Eli, Soohyun, and Luna. 

As Jekyung, Soohyun, Eli, and Luna sat in a small corner in the locker room, they could hear a few noises, but not many

----

Kiseop watched as Jekyung ran away from the scene and smiled, feeling happy he accomplished what he said he was going to do. Then he turned around to Hyunseung. "Well, it's just you and me" he said while Kevin, Hoon, and AJ stoodby for back-up

"I guess so" Kiseop mumbled. 

"Listen. I'm gunna be totally honest, I'm not a big fan of violence. So... If you came here to fight someone, you might as well leave now, because none of us will fight back.. Myself included" Kiseop explained while Hyunseung just laughed. "So funny.. I don't care if you don't fight back. I just feel like you need an -whooping for stealing my girl" he said and ran towards Kiseop. 

Kiseop closed his eyes and prepared for impact. Before he knew it, he could feel a sharp pinch in his face. Hyunseung had punched him in the eye. Kiseop fell to the ground in pain before Hyunseung kicked him while he was down. "HYUNG!" Kevin yelled.

"STAY AWAY!" Kiseop yelled and held an arm out, gesturing them to keep a distance. Kevin backed away and frowned. Not wanting to watch his friend get hurt, he turned away and wiped his eyes. Kiseop got many kicks in the stomach, face, and just about everywhere else. Hyunseung felt his anger level slowly decrease as he damaged Kiseop's fragile body. The feeling of someone else that he didn't like in pain made Hyunseung feel better, and that's something Jekyung hated. 

Kiseop felt like crying because he was in so much pain. Soon, after many blows, Kiseop finally passed out. Blood coming from his nose, ears, mouth and a small cut on his scalp. 

"Please! THAT'S ENOUGH!" AJ marched behind Hyunseung and attempted to hold him back, but Hyunseung took AJ by the shoudlers and lowered his head and raised his own knee so that his knee and AJ's head would collide. Kevin screamed and Hoon cringed. 

Finally, Hyunseung, without a scratch on him, walked back to his car and unlocked the doors. "This will make you think twice about stealing another man's girl!" Hyunseung yelled, got into his car, and drove away. Kevin, Hoon, and AJ, who was barely conscious, ran up to Kiseop and tried to wake him, but he was far from it. 

Soon, Jekyung, Eli, Soohyun, and Luna ran into the fight scene to see that Hyunseung had disappeared. 

Without any hesitation, Jekyung let out tears when she saw Kiseop, a bloody mess, on the ground. "Oh my god" she muttered and grabbed his face

"Lee Kiseop.." she whispered with her angelic voice. When he heard Jekyung's voice, Kiseop opened his eyes and saw all of his friends staring down at him. "Hey guys.. What happened?" Kiseop smiled and asked. "You got REALLY beat up.. But Jekyung is gunna take you home and take care of you..." Hoon explained and helped him up, which was fruitless. Kiseop refused to stand...

They finally decided that they had to carry him to the bus to go home. 

----

At home, Jekyung cleaned up Kiseop's face and dressed him in comfortable clothes, which was a hard process since he was barely awake, it was like dressing a 140-pound baby doll. 

By the time she had given him medicine, bandages, and a bath, Kiseop's face was all bruised and swollen. Jekyung found it difficult to look at him. She watched him as he slept. "I'm so sorry you had to go through that.." she cried as he slept peacefully. "At least you can sleep now... I'm so sorry" she sobbed and held his hand. 

----

The next day, while Jekyung got ready for school, Kiseop would usually buy snacks from the small grocery store across the street from Jekyung's house for breakfast, but that day Jekyung decided that she wanted Kiseop to eat breakfast with her. 

That day was also the day that Kiseop's mother was to be released from the hospital. As soon as she was let go, she filed for divorce from her second husband.. Jekyung only wished her mother could do the same. 

----

After school, as Kiseop and Jekyung were about to go to sleep, Jekyung's mother came into the living room to talk to her daughter. "Hey honey, before you go to sleep, can I talk to you about something?" her mother asked. Jekyung sat up on the couch and nodded as they heard the sound of thunder from outside

"That boy.. What is he to you?" she asked, pointing to Jekyung's room, where Kiseop was sleeping. "He's my best friend" she simply said. 

"Anything else?" her mother asked again. Jekyung leaned closer to her mother and smiled. "Well, I do have a big crush on him..." she giggled. Her mother shook her head, as if she was disappointed. "Why do you wanna know? He's gunna be okay, he just got a little messed is all" Jekyung reassured. 

"You obviously don't recognize him" her mother sighed.

"R-Recognize him?" Jekyung stuttered. 

"Jekyung, that boy is the son of the man that killed you father" she said

Jekyung froze. She didn't know what to think. "What?"

"His father killed yours.. And your father killed his" she repeated. "B-But.. Dad died in a car accident.." Jekyung tried to fake a smile. "That's what I told you at the time, and that's also what Kiseop thinks.. His mother and I agreed to keep the truth from you because that's what we thought was best. You and Kiseop have more in common than you think" she explained. 

"Then tell us the real story" Jekyung demaded.

"Okay.. Almost two years ago..." her mother started

"No. I won't listen to the story unless Kiseop is here with us, and since he's sleeping. I'll wait" Jekyung crossed her arms. Her mother shook her head, sat up, and knocked on Jekyung's door. "Kiseop-ah?" her mother called from behind the door

"Mom, he's sleeping!" Jekyung stood up. Her mother opened the door to see him on his side, playing with his phone. Kiseop looked up from his phone and saw two people in the doorway.

----

"Kids... I have something to tell you. It's about your fathers" Jekyung's mother started while Jekyung and Kiseop glanced at each other with confused expressions. "What I'm about to tell you is 100% truth, because I was there when it happened" she added. Kiseop looked at her with an irritated look. "Miss, I respect you, but is what you're about to tell us going to upset us as well?" he asked. 

"Why does it matter anymore?" Jekyung asked feeling depressed, like she always did when she thought of her father. Kiseop looked at her sympathetically and rubbed circles into her back. "I guees I'll just come out and say it. Kids, your fathers, had a riff with each other. I don't know what it was about because my last husband never told me. He said he wanted to deal with it on his own. Do you know anything about your father and situations quite like this one, Kiseop?" her mom asked. "He did come home and talked about "that bastard", but that's all I remember. I really hated him upset like that, and I started to hate this "bastard" he talked about" Kiseop explained..

"My father was a good man" Jekyung snapped

"I'm sure he was" Kiseop said sarcastically, making Jekyung angry. "This is what I was afraid of. I don't want this to ruin your friendship, or whatever else you might both have" her mom said concerned. "One day, me and my family were visiting Seoul on vacation and also to see Jekyung's father at work since we still lived in Gwangju. We were planning to move there before he died. Your fathers ran into each other on the street. My husband and I were T-boned by your father" Jekyung's mother started the story

*FLASHBACK*

"Yeobo! What was that??" Mrs. Han asked. Mr. Han looked back and saw Mr. Lee in his car, glaring at him. "Oh hell no!" Mr. Han cursed and got out of his car. "YAH! You are paying for my damage! You did that on purpose! How dare you!" Mr. Han yelled into Mr. Lee's window as he rolled it up. Mr. Han fumed and marched to his car to grab a jacket. He wrapped it around his fist and punched a hole right through Mr. Lee's window. Mr. Lee fumed, got out of his car and punched Mr. Han in the side of the head. "Mother er! How dare you break my window!" Mr. Lee exploded. "You T-boned me!" Mr. Han got up off the ground, holding the side of his head. "What?? You want more?" Mr. Lee shouted, and grabbed Kiseop's baseball bat out of his car and threw it at Mr. Han's windshield and smashing it. Mr. Han and Mr. Lee could hear Mrs. Han scream. 

"My wife is in there! You could've killed her!" Mr. Han roared. "I don't know what's going on through her head when she decided to marry you" Mr. Lee shot back. 

"I hope to god that your son doesn't end up to be like you" Mr. Han hissed. Mr. Lee marched up to him and grabbed his collar. "Don't you dare... Talk about my son" Mr. Lee demanded. "His name is Kiseop, am I wrong?" Mr. Han asked pointing to the baseball bat in his windsheild with Kiseop's name on it.

"I hear you have a kid.. A daughter.. Han Jekyung..... Am I wrong??" Mr. Lee added, making Mr. Han's blood boil. "Keep my daughter's name out of your mouth" Mr. Han demanded. 

"I bet your daughter is an IDIOT like your wife" Mr. Lee provoked again., to which Mr. Han grabbed Mr. Lee by the hair and decked him. The fight continued as Mrs. Han just watched in horror. Soon, Mr. Lee ran to his car and pulled something out of the back, while Mr. Han ran to his car to get the same thing.. A pistol

"Stay back!"

"I will kill you, I swear!"

"I have a daughter to raise!"

"I have a son to raise!" the two screamed at each other, while Mrs. Han cried in the car, totally petrified. People surrounded the scene and rubbernecked in their cars. Nobody was prepared for a gunshot when Mr. Lee fired his weapon, shooting Mr. Han in the shoudler, cutting his atery. Mr. Han, being an expert marksman, used some of the last seconds he had left before he was to bleed to death, to fire and shoot Mr. Lee in the middle of the forehead. Everyone watching screamed and ran while Mrs. Han finally ran out of the car to tend to her dying husband. 

----

16-year-old Jekyung picked up her phone that was ringing on her bed and pressed 'talk'

"Hey mom" she smiled. "Sweetie. There's a cab waiting for you in the lobby. Tell him to take you to Cheong-dong mall right away. You'll see me there" Jekyung heard her mom give her instructions in the phone, trying to stay as calm as she could. "Mom, what's happening??" Jekyung asked. "Just do it, please" her mom pleaded with her one last time and hung up the phone. 

----

"Hi, early dismissal for Lee Kiseop" a teacher's assistant stood in front of Kiseop's desk with a note to get out of class. 16-year-old Kiseop looked up confused. 

As soon as he left campus silently, he got a phone call from his mother. "Mom, why did I get an early dismissal?" he asked his mom. "Kiseop, your aunt is coming to pick you up. You're coming to Cheong-dong mall to meet us" his mom said, trying to stay calm. "Why?" Kiseop asked innocently. 

"Don't argue" his mom started to break and hung up the phone.

----

When Jekyung got there, she ran up to her mom. "What's happening?" Jekyung asked frantically when she saw all of the ambulances. Her mom got on one knee and looked up at her daughter.

"Sweetie... We got in a car accident.. And your father has passed away.."

----

"Mom!" Kiseop found his mom and threw himself at her. "What's going on??" he asked "I'm not quite sure. I think your father has been in an accident" she said looking around. Soon, a paramedic walked up to Kiseop's mother. "We have some bad news. Are you the spouse of Mr. Lee?" the medic asked. She nodded and both her and the medic looked at Kiseop. The medic pulled his mother away to talk with her privately. Kiseop looked around and his eyes landed on a girl.. Han Jekyung..

But he didn't know that yet.

Kiseop stared at her while she stared back. Then, Kiseop could hear his mother's scream, tearing his gaze away from Jekyung. 

*END OF FLASHBACK*

Kiseop and Jekyung stayed silent after hearing the real heartbreaking story. "I wanted to wait until you were 18 to tell you" Jekyung's mother sighed, feeling a tear fall from her eye. "I'm sorry you had to witness that, mom" Jekyung put her hand on her mother's shoudler and said, while Kiseop looked over and sighed..

"Kiseop-ah. What are you thinking?" Jekyung's mom asked him. He continued to look down at the ground

"I just.. never would've guessed" he said and stood up. "My father seemed so... peaceful. And I thought I got that trait from him". Jekyung was afraid she'd say something wrong, so she stayed silent...

"I know.. If your fathers were still alive today, they would never let you two be friends. But since they're not here, I give you my blessings.. I see something in you both.. Something that's growing. Your father was a good man, Kiseop" Jekyung's mother declared.

"I need time to think" Jekyung laid back down on the couch and covered herself with the sheets.

"Me too" Kiseop agreed and walked back to Jekyung's room. Kiseop took a moment to look back at Jekyung, then shut the door.

----

As the night went on, a loud thunderstorm raged on and kept Jekyung awake. She rolled her eyes whenever she attempted to sleep, but failed. 

Then, out of nowhere, Jekyung heard a soul-ripping scream come from her room. She sprung up and almost broke her door down. There she saw Kiseop squirming in her bed, obviously having a bad dream. Jekyung felt like crying when she ran to his side. "NOOOOOO!" he shrieked. 

Jekyung laid into bed with Kiseop and hugged him tight, trying to get him to calm down. He squeezed her waist and buried his head in her chest while she his hair and whispered sweet nothings in his ear as he woke up. Her close interactions with Kiseop made her heart race more and more every time. 

After almost ten minutes, Kiseop finally started to calm down and as he did, he began to cry, and Jekyung cried with him 

"It's okay sweetheart.. It was just a nightmare" Jekyung cried. Kiseop sobbed and squeezed Jekyung as hard as he could, but she tried not to mind. 

".... Stay with me, Kyung..." Kiseop whimpered silently. Jekyung sighed and nodded her head. "Of course" she said. Kiseop felt so much better waking up from a nightmare in Jekyung's arms. "

----

"Tell me more about when you were 10" Jekyung smiled and Kiseop's hair. He still held her tight around the waist and his head was still laid comfortably on her chest and took in her scent as he had his face nuzzled in the crook of her neck 

"I actually did a lot more sports..I loved baseball." Kiseop started. Since he wasn't able to fall back asleep, Jekyung decided to stay with him and switch stories. "Do you want me to tell you more about myself?" Jekyung asked, to which Kiseop just nodded.

"I hate peanuts"

"I'm allergic to cats"

"I love video games"

"I hate it when people lie to me"

Kiseop's eyes drooped as he listened to Jekyung's sweet voice explain the things about herself.

"I have a fear of spiders, illness, and failing.."

"I have Bipolar"

"Everyone thought I was a touch cookie in middle school. But whenever I was called ugly or worthless, I'd go to the bathroom and cry"

"I love when boys buy me things. I love to be spoiled"

"I don't ever wear it, but I love the color pink.."

Just as Jekyung was going to think about something else, Kiseop started to snore ever so quietly, and Jekyung shut up and went to sleep

----

"Dad, I wish you didn't have to go through this issue with Kiseop's father. You didn't deserve it, neither of you did. But his son is innocent. His son is the reason I still want to stay in Seoul. His son is the reason I've begun to really love again. His son is the reason I feel more like a teenage girl. Lee Kiseop is now my best friend. And if in the event we become something more, you aren't around to disapprove. So I'm sorry if you look down on me for this... But then I also hope you can find the purity.. And innocence in Kiseop... Goodnight dad, don't be too ashamed of me..."