Chapter Three

Litatio

 

 

Day after day, Jongin would visit Kyungsoo just as he promised. The boys quickly grew close (what else have you left when you spend most of your time with only one person?) and became great friends as days eventually faded in weeks, months and years.

There were times when they would loudly play tag (well, that wasn’t so easy inside but Kyungsoo’s room was seriously huge!) or some other game Jongin would come up with, times when Kyungsoo would try to teach Jongin how to read or about the history of the kingdom (which would mostly go in one ear and out of the other) or times when they would just lie together on Kyungsoo’s bed and talk and talk until they didn’t know what to talk about anymore and both of them would fall silent. These times especially were Jongin’s favourite because then Kyungsoo would snuggle into his chest and fall asleep and he could finally look at his hyung the way he wanted to look at him all day.

Their times together became even more fun after Jongin managed to persuade Kyungsoo to sneak out in the garden at night when everyone sleeps. The boy was surprised it was so easy but of course he didn’t complain because for Kyungsoo, these were his favourite times. When the both of them could sit under the sky full of stars and Jongin would lay his head in his lap as he would show the boy the constellations he have seen so many times in the books. He would thread his fingers through Jongin’s hair and imagine that they could stay like this forever. But of course that was not possible.

 

 

Jongin doesn’t know when exactly he began to notice the small changes in his hyung’s behaviour. Like when Kyungsoo squirmed uncomfortably in his embrace or how he wouldn’t let Jongin sleep in his bed anymore. With time, it became more obvious that something was wrong. Especially when Kyungsoo wouldn’t talk as much as before and would completely avoid touching Jongin. He tried to push his worries away at first but now, when Kyungsoo’s smiles became only half-hearted attempts to pretend being happy, Jongin can’t ignore it anymore.

“Hyung, can we go outside tonight? I want to show you something.”

Kyungsoo lifts his eyes from the book he is currently reading and looks at him blankly. “Do we have to?”

Jongin clenches his jaw. This blank look is everything Kyungsoo has been giving him lately. “Yes. Please, hyung.”

Sigh. “Okay then.”

The boy returns to his reading and ignores Jongin who comes to sit beside him. “What are you reading, hyung?” Jongin tries again even through he knows Kyungsoo would refuse to strike up a conversation with him.

He doesn’t even look at him. “A book.”

Jongin rolls his eyes. “I can see that. What is it about?”

“It’s a story.” Kyungsoo momentarily shuts the book and places it in his lap. “It’s about a boy and his dog. The boy is lonely because he doesn’t have anyone. He lives alone until one day he finds the dog by a dumpster. The two of them become close friends but then the dog dies and the boy is lonely again.”

Jongin raises his brow. “That is all?”

“Yes.”

“But that is so sad. Shouldn’t stories be happy?”

Kyungsoo’s face somehow falls as he shakes his head. “Stories are about life, Jongin. And life isn’t always happy.”

 

 

When Jongin comes to fetch his hyung that evening, Kyungsoo is asleep. So he carefully lies beside him and intently studies his sleeping features. He reaches out to caress Kyungsoo’s soft cheek and sighs. Even in his sleep, the boy looks so troubled.

“Hyung, what’s the matter? Why don’t you tell me?” Jongin whispers as to not wake him up, then leans in and gently kisses Kyungsoo’s forehead. “I wish you would tell me. I want you to be happy, just like the first time I met you.”

“Hhm… Jongin, what are you doing?” Kyungsoo sleepily calls out as he slowly opens his eyes. Jongin quickly retreats from him.

“Nothing, just waking you up, hyung.” He smiles at him but all he gets back are dull eyes and a nod.

“Okay. Let’s go then.”

When they both carefully climb out of Kyungsoo’s window, it’s already pitch black outside. The two of them sit themselves under one of the trees and their eyes observe the sky. The stars today are shining unusually bright as Jongin reaches out and takes his hyung’s hand inside of his, winding their fingers together.

“Hyung,” Kyungsoo looks at him, startled, and tries to free his hand from Jongin’s grip but the boy wouldn’t allow it.

“Let go, Jongin.”

“No. Why should I?”

“Please, just…” Kyungsoo trails off and just before he turns his face away Jongin swears he saw his eyes glistening with tears. He moves along closer to his hyung and wraps his arms around his tiny form.

“Let me just stay like this for a moment, please. I miss you so much, hyung.”

There is a silence between them and it’s suffocating Jongin. It’s suddenly pierced by a choked sob but none of them knows who it came from.

“You know, hyung, the boy from your story. You are just like him.”

Kyungsoo lets out a dry chuckle. “Does that make you the dog?”

Jongin snorts but stays serious. “No. I would never die and just leave you all alone, hyung.”

There are more muffled sobs as Kyungsoo presses the back of his hand to his mouth. Jongin is so confused but doesn’t say anything until his hyung whispers something he maybe was and maybe was not supposed to hear. “You are not the one who is going to die in this story, Jongin.”

Blink. “What?! What are you talking about?”

Kyungsoo pulls away from Jongin’s embrace and looks at him with red, swollen eyes. Jongin thinks he still looks beautiful.

“I’m going to die. In a few years, I won’t be beside you anymore.”

The words rip Jongin’s heart into pieces but his brain refuses to accept them. “No! Why would you die, hyung?! Don’t say things like that!”

Kyungsoo sigh and looks away. Seeing Jongin so scared and broken is unbearable.

“Jongin, do you know why I live here by myself? Why they keep me in the palace?”

The boy shakes his head, unaware that a few tears already made their way down his cheeks. It’s not like he never wondered what the reason is but his hyung always became so uncomfortable when he asked questions. So he didn’t.

“They, the Superior and the church, took me here to keep me safe. So I don’t die before they can kill me.”

What was Jongin supposed to reply to that? He shakes his head, not believing a word.

“Hyung, no. You’re not going to die. You can’t. Why would- why would they… that’s bull. You can’t die!”

Kyungsoo looks into his eyes, his own tears already dried up. “I’m sorry, Jongin. It’s true.”

The both of them stay silent for a moment before Jongin interrupts it with a one word.

“Why?”

“Have you ever heard of the prophecy?”

Jongin nods, not knowing where his hyung is going with this. “Y-yeah.”

“They think it’s me. The kid that is supposed to save everyone.”

Another moment of silence.

“It’s because of my eyes.”

“What’s with your eyes? What-“

“They are blue, Jongin.”

“Oh.”

Kyungsoo shifts closer to Jongin and hugs him tightly around his waist. “I’m sorry for being a jerk to you. I’m just. Scared? I’m scared what will happen to you when I’m… not here anymore.”

“Hyung, don’t say this… I don’t get it. If you are supposed to save everyone, why do they want to kill you?”

Sigh. “It’s complicated.”

Jongin frowns, but snuggles closer to Kyungsoo and lays his chin onto his head. “Try me.”

“The prophecy says Only when he reaches the age of Testea shall he sacrifice for others, and redeem the lives of innocent… they think the sacrifice means offering my life to the quaternion to destroy instead of the lives of the others. Testea had died when she was twenty five. So when I reach twenty five, I should sacrifice myself.”

“But that is just six years away! Hyung, how can they do this? The stupid thing could mean anything!” The tears on Jongin’s face mix with the anger he felt.

Kyungsoo closes his eyes, inhaling the boy’s scent. It calmed him a little. “I know, Jonginie. I know it’s stupid. But what am I supposed to do? Please, just stay by my side for those six years, okay?”

Jongin wipes his face dry and tries to smile, but fails miserably. He leans down and presses his forehead against his hyung’s. “Always. I promise.”

 

 

 

 


A/N Hi there! I hope you liked the new chapter (I know I didn’t xD). Well this isn’t exactly what I wanted it to be but oh, well...

Please, comment and share your thoughts with me! And thanks to anyone who subscibed or reads this, I love you all~ ^^

 

PS:

shamelessly advertising my other fic --> I can't change who I am (wait, but maybe you could!)

It’s a Sesoo oneshot and believe me, I tried to be funny:D 

 

Okay that’s it, bye~^^