Chapter One

Litatio

 

 

Kyungsoo doesn’t have parents. He doesn’t have any relatives nor friends, not even acquaintances.

No one to play or talk with, no one to share things with, no one to comfort his lonely tears.

Instead of this, Kyungsoo has a lot of things normal children don’t have. Like his own palace, a lot of toys, special education and anything his tummy longs for. Kyungsoo doesn’t know why he lives alone in this place when the palace actually has dozens of empty rooms. Sometimes, he likes to wander into the deserted chambers and halls and explore what they have to offer.

Other times, he just sits by the window in his room and watches the world outside. The world Kyungsoo can’t remember ever visiting.

 

 

“You are not paying attention! Not again, kid, I don’t have a whole day for this…”

Kyungsoo guiltily averts his eyes away from a window and sheepishly bows his head. His teacher comes to tutor him in history, language and science once a week but he just can’t focus on anything. His curious mind is always full of questions no one is willing to answer.

“I’m sorry, my lady.”

Kyungsoo’s teacher, Miss Jihee, sighs.

“Nevermind, kid. Now, tell me, who was the first to-“

But she was interrupted by a nervous voice. “Can I ask a question?”

Miss Jihee gave Kyungsoo a sharp look. “I am the one who’s supposed to ask questions here.”

“Please, my lady?”

“Well… make it quick, kid.”

Kyungsoo nervously fiddles with his fingers. “Where… where are my parents?”

Miss Jihee stills for a moment and then frowns. “Why?”

“It’s just that… everyone has their parents, right? At least, I read it in a book. Where are mine?”

Kyungsoo looks at his teacher with hopeful eyes but is only met with a cold stare.

“You don’t have any.”

 

 

When Kyungsoo reaches six years, someone who isn’t his teacher or the maid who cooks for him visits him. It is a man. Old, tall man, with sharp nose and a calm expression. On the first sight, he looks quite friendly but when Kyungsoo looks into his eyes, he sees something cold and a bit crazy in them. For his age, Kyungsoo is an unusually smart kid.

The man introduces himself as the Superior. Of course Kyungsoo knows what that means. This man is someone in a really really high position and Kyungsoo should be honoured by his presence. Except that Kyungsoo isn’t. The man actually kind of scares him.

“Do you know why I’m here, Kyungsoo?”

The Superior smiles a bit and leans onto the table that separates his and Kyungsoo’s chairs. The boy shakes his head.

“No, sir.”

The man nods for himself a few times and straightens his back. “Then I should tell you, shouldn’t I?”

Kyungsoo doesn’t answer because he has a feeling the question wasn’t for him to answer. The Superior smiles a bit and asks again.

“Do you know why you are here, Kyungsoo?”

Kyungsoo blinks in confusion. “I- I… I’m sorry, sir. I don’t know.”

“Well, well. Then let me tell you, little boy. Do you want to know why do you live all alone just with your guards?”

Kyungsoo nods and the Superior’s smile widens.

“It’s to protect you, Kyungsoo, nothing else.”

The boy furrows his eyebrows. “I don’t understand, sir. Why do I need to be protected?”

“Because. Anything could hurt you in the outer world. This way, you will live a healthy and content live until you reach twenty-five.”

“And what happens then, sir?”

“Then you die, Kyungsoo. The you die.”

 

 

After that day, the Superior never visited Kyungsoo again. Not him or anyone for that matter. For the boy, time continued to pass by even faster than usual and more lonely days in lonely palace are piling up upon him.

Kyungsoo now knows. Why doesn’t he have parents, friends, anyone; why is he living all alone; why is he always guarded by seemingly mute guards and why is he prohibited to leave the palace rooms. Now he knows the answers for all of these questions.

But he wishes he didn’t.

However, as the saying goes, time eventually heals every wound. Of course the scars stay, but the nights when Kyungsoo cries himself to sleep are fewer and fewer as the months go by. The boy finally stops refusing to eat and even tries to focus on his studies once again.

Even so, there are still things that would never come back. The curious mind of a little kid is exchanged for more matured, more dull one. The smiles lost their brightness and even though Kyungsoo’s eyes don’t have any more tears to shed, the pain and fear never leave them.

 

 

“Okay, you can do this Kyungsoo, I know you can,” the boy mutters under his breath as he nervously eyes the sleeping maid by the kitchen’s back door. It’s a habit of his, talking to himself. He does it a lot when he’s anxious, along with tugging at the slightly too long strands of his hair right above his shoulders.

“Just sneak through that door and that’s it. You are outside.”

A few more deep, calming breaths are taken and then Kyungsoo’s already on his way tiptoeing around the sleeping maid. It is a lucky day for Kyungsoo today; his usual guardian (Who never spoke a word to the boy. Kyungsoo suspects him to be mute) is sick and he was entrusted to the care of this old maid who always cooks for him. The lady is actually from the part of the world where people speak in different language so Kyungsoo never understands what she says anyways. From her expressions it doesn’t seem like anything pleasant either.

And she fell asleep. How wonderful, Kyungsoo thinks as he silently grabs the door handle and carefully twists it. As soon as the gap is wide enough to let his tiny body through, Kyungsoo slips outside. He closes the door behind himself and a small smile tugs at the corner of his lips.

This is the first time he is outside in ages. Even if it is only a palace garden, Kyungsoo’s mind feels instantly somehow lighter and he makes his way into the sunshine with a barely noticeable skip to his steps.

Once in the middle of the carefully taken care of lawn, Kyungsoo stops and closes his eyes. He enjoys the light spring breeze caressing his cheeks and the way the sunrays tingle on his too pale skin. Without his consent, Kyungsoo lets out a thrilled squeal.

“H-hey! You scared me!”

The boy jumps in surprise and frantically turns his head around. But there’s no one.

The voice chuckles. “Down here, silly.”

Kyungsoo sees a hand rising from the bush right next to him and nearly faints when he sees the hand is connected to an arm and then a whole body of a boy hidden in the shadow the bush is providing. How could Kyungsoo possibly not notice him before?

“W-who are you?”

The hidden boy crawls from under the bush and stands up, his hand reached out for Kyungsoo and a stupid grin on his face. “My name is Jongin.”

 Kyungsoo eyes Jongin’s hand suspiciously before pointing at it. “What is this for?”

“Don’t know but I’ve seen some adults doing it.” Jongin shrugs and lets his hand fall back to his side. Observing the other boy’s features is hard from a distance, so he makes a few steps forward and leans his face right in front of Kyungsoo’s. “So, what’s your name?”

“I’m K-kyungsoo.”

Jongin frowns. “Why are you stuttering? Are you sick? But you were so happy just a minute ago! Did something nasty happen?”

Kyungsoo blushes a light pink and pushes Jongin’s face away with his little hands. “N-no. Can you just, uh, back away?”

Jongin pouts but complies anyway. “Okay.”

For a few moments, silence ensues between them. They are both curiously eyeing each other with Kyungsoo trying to figure out how to talk to a person he doesn’t have to be scared of and Jongin wondering why-

“Why are your eyes blue? I’ve never seen anyone with blue eyes before. Are they alright? Were they always like this?” Jongin taps a finger under one of Kyungsoo’s widened eyes and tilted his head to a side. The latter uneasily swats his hand away and takes a step backwards.

“I don’t know, please, s-stop asking. And yes, they were.”

Jongin blinks at Kyungsoo and more questions threaten to spill from his mouth but he doesn’t want to upset the other boy so he stays quiet. Kyungsoo nervously pats his fringe to his forehead and looks up.

“I know, they are weird…”

“Oh, no! I think they are cute actually.”

Kyungsoo’s eyes widen even more in surprise. “Really?”

“Uh-um.” Jongin smiles brightly and Kyungsoo starts to think this boy wasn’t so bad. Maybe they could-

“Kyungsoo, let’s be friends!”

 

 

 

 


A/N  So I guess this is the first chapter? It’s not much but it’s just the beginning so please wait :3 More Kaisoo ahead of us!! :D

PS: Thanks a lot to you guys who subscribed or even bothered to read this! It means a lot to me. You know what would be even better? Try telling me your opinions in comments! :P

PSS: Oh, I almost forgot! The title "Litatio" is from Latin. It means a favorable or sucessful sacrifice. Just in case someone was wondering:)

Okay well, bye

tumblr_m4awq1o5TE1qh5lpd.gif

omg onew -_-