Chapter Two

Litatio

 

 

There aren’t many things in Jongin’s life that are worth remembering. Actually, he could count these situations on the fingers of his hand. There are only two of them, no more.

First, the memory of his mother. Jongin was only two years old when his father died. Since he was so young he couldn’t even recall his face but with his mother, it was different. The woman took care of him all alone and even though they were poor, she always tried to give Jongin the best she could. To do so, Jongin’s mother didn’t have an easy life herself. In order to fill her son’s tummy she had to take up two or more jobs, usually in some dirty kitchen or as a laundress. At the end of every exhausting day, she gave all of her income into feeding Jongin without thinking about her own dinner and even though at that time, the boy couldn’t understand that, Jongin could never forget his mother’s generous character and warm eyes.

She died when Jongin was only four years old.

After her death Jongin got into an orphanage. He spent there only fifteen months but these months were so far the worst in his life. Worse than all of the struggling to keep on living when his mum was still alive, worse than the pain when Jongin broke his left arm and it grew together wrong. And though Jongin thinks it’s totally horrible to say so, even worse than seeing his mother’s cold, dead body.

It’s ironic how the institution where they were supposed to take care of him made him touch the bottom at such a tiny age. Jongin often wondered how many colours could his bruises go through in the process of healing. What else could the other kids call him tomorrow? What will be the next reason they would laugh at him for? How many more kinds of pain would his caretakers show him? These questions kept Jongin up till the early hours of morning every night.

And so Jongin ran away. It was surprisingly easy to escape this hell hole and Jongin had to wonder why anyone would voluntarily stay there. A few days, Jongin scraped along the streets of the city, living on the leftovers or the food he managed to steal at the market.

It wasn’t easy but what could Jongin do? He was not even close the only kid living on the streets and he often got in scuffles with the gangs for hanging around their area. He had seen many children even younger than him scrounge or sift through the dumpster.

That is why Jongin considered himself very lucky when an old looking grandpa took him out streets and offered him a small room to live in and food in exchange of help in the kitchen and around the house. Jongin was thrilled about the idea, even more so when he found out the house was behind a palace and the kitchen was actually cooking for its servants.

The more time Jongin spent in the house, the more curious he became. How come he never saw anyone around the palace, except for some guards and an old maid? How come no one ever came in or outside except for one young lady? Did she live there? Then why did she come home just once a week or less? No, it surely has to be something different…

When Jongin had time, he liked to wander into the palace’s garden, often taking a nap in the shadows of richly branched trees or taking care of the gardens many flowerbeds. Sometimes he would just watch the palace’s windows and wonder who lives behind those walls and what is their life like. Other times, he would get bored of just watching and would try to get inside. After many unsuccessful attempts Jongin still refused to give up.

And then, one time when Jongin was peacefully resting in the garden, the second thing he never wants to forget happened. It was then that he first met Do Kyungsoo.

 

 

“How old are you, big eyes?” asks Jongin as the two of them sit on the sunlit lawn. Kyungsoo pouts as he pulls out some grass blades.

“Don’t call me that, tan skin.”

Jongin rolls his eyes and gives him a smile. They met only an hour or so ago but he feels like they already knew each other since forever. “Okay, okay. So how old are you?”

“Seven.”

“Oh, really?  You are older than me then, I am six! Should I call you hyung?”

Kyungsoo shrugs his narrow shoulders. Whatever.

“You don’t talk much, do you?”

Another shrug.

“Why?”

Kyungsoo furrows his brows as he thinks, eyes still focused on pulling on the grass. “I don’t know. I just… don’t know how?”

Jongin blinks in confusion. “You don’t know how to talk? B-but you were talking just now!”

Kyungsoo throws him a sharp look. “I didn’t mean it like that, silly. I don’t know how to talk with you.”

“Oh.”

“Oh, indeed.”

There is a silence between them as they both are lost in their own thoughts. Jongin looks at his hyung and ponders about a question that was bugging him for a while now.

“Hyung, do you live in the palace?”

Kyungsoo nods, still not looking at Jongin.

“Then how come I never saw you before? Do you live alone?”

“I- yes, I do.”

“I see.” Jongin taps his chin in thoughts. “Why?”

Kyungsoo looks up at him and open his mouth to say something but nothing comes out. Instead, he returns to ruining the lawn. Jongin still wants to know but something tells him he shouldn’t ask so he keeps quiet. Then, his hyung is suddenly standing up and dusting of his knees. “I should go now.”

“W-wait!” Jongin shouts as he hastily stands up next to him and grabs his wrist; just to be sure he doesn’t run away. “Can we meet again? Tomorrow?”

Kyungsoo looks at him with wide eyes and then averts them to the ground. “I c-can’t. I can’t go outside, Jongin.”

 The boy tries to hide his disappointment but some of it still makes its way into his voice. “But why?”

“T-they don’t let me outside. I was lucky today, my maid fell asleep.”

Jongin pouts and tugs at his hand. “But hyung~! I want to see you again!”

Kyungsoo, a bit taken aback by Jongin’s eagerness, thinks for a bit then sheepishly smiles. He wriggles his hand out of Jongin grasp and points at the two windows in the right wing of the palace. There was a large tree standing in front of them.

“T-that’s my room. They leave me alone when I’m in my room so if you can climb up that thick branch near the wall, I will leave my window open. B-but I really should go now.”

Jongin’s face brightens up. “Piece of cake! Okay then, see you soon, hyung!”

Kyungsoo smiles a bit and nods before sneaking through the kitchen’s door. “See you, Jongin.”

And that’s how the lives of Do Kyungsoo and Kim Jongin winded together and refused to let go.

 

 

 

 


A/N Okay so I know this is really short but it is still something like an introduction methinks? I’m posting it now because it should come together with the previous chapter but I won’t update this fast otherwise, sorry.

Thanks for subbing, I love you already!:) 

PS: Gosh, I thought my English was good before this but I guess I was wrong :D Sorry for any mistakes

PSS: Leave a comment?:)

’kay, bye, I’ll leave you with top here

tumblr_m70govboeE1rsskhm.gif

omg im laughing so hard xD