Fifth Beat

Missing Beat
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

[kyle's notes]: WARNING: RATED

 

 

those who believe would be damned HAHAHA me? rated? really? do you want me to? hahaha

anyway, i haven't told you i found a job and it's keeping me busy.. and i've been sick for 3 weeks now.. sickness made me write this.. should i be sick more often? tsk! i'm done with the tough excuse of school.. now it's work.. can you still bear with me?

also, this is the longest chapter so far.. 53 pages, seriously?? i guess this will become my longest written story.. is that a good thing? jeez.. why am i even bringing that up when i'm not smart enough to be able to write wonderful chapters, let alone stories.

 

okay, i'll cut it short.. enjoy the errors!

 


 

 

 

Saturday came and So Min woke up early upon the sound of her alarm. She shot her eyes open and immediately reached for her phone on her bedside table to turn the alarm off. She didn’t want her husband’s beauty sleep to be disturbed by that.

 

Thinking of their argument last night, disturbing him during his sleep would be the last on her bucket list as of the moment.

 

She scratched her scalp and stretched to reach for her phone again.

 

5:45 AM

 

And along with the time, a small unopened envelope indicated that she had some unread message. It was from Auntie Dina, telling her that they’ve run out of grocery stocks and probably would need to do some shopping before Monday comes.

 

She smiled at it and lazily got out of the bed. She fixed her side before proceeding to do her thing in the bathroom. ‘This is gonna be a long day,’ she told herself.

 

 

 

Unfortunately, So Min wasn’t really able to turn her alarm off. Instead, she pressed the freakin’ snooze button which made her phone’s alarm echoed in their bedroom five minutes after its first ring.

 

Hyun Joong, who was lying there peacefully, woke up at the sound of it. He reached for his phone on his bedside table only to find out that it wasn’t the culprit. He turned around to an empty space beside him. Great. It was weekend and his wife had to ruin his plans of extending his sleeping hours. He rolled over to the neatly pleaded sheets to get the phone.

 

 

 

“Why did you have to set an alarm this early?” he whispered while looking at the closed bathroom door. Upon turning off the alarm, another tone came but then, it was different—it was an indication of a received text message. Seeing the name of the sender, Hyun Joong remembered their heated discussion the previous night all because of this person. Without the permission of his brain, his fingers were already pressing the buttons to open the said message. ‘How are you?’ it read. ‘Why was he answering my call last night? Well, skipping about that, just gonna ask, how about we meet today?’

 

 

 

When So Min was done freshening herself, she fixed her usual outfit—plain black shirt, dark jeans and white rubber shoes. She hoped that she’d easily find a job with that outfit of hers. It’s not that she didn’t want to wear smart casual attire since that’s expected for someone who wants to be hired immediately. It’s just that she’s not used to wearing those.

 

Grabbing her sling bag that was hanging on the wall, she hurriedly went down on the first floor of their two-storey house, with the aim of finding a part-time job by the end of the day. She seemed like she was in a hurry—which was true—that she failed to notice the absence of her husband on the bed where she just left him. And she failed to notice that her phone and wrist watch were left on her bedside table.

 

 

 

***************************************

 

 

 

Hyun Joong was greeted by an empty room upon coming home from his jog. It was 8:30 and he hadn’t noticed that he jogged for more than two hours. That’s what a wandering mind got him to do. He actually liked to continue jogging but Mr. Hwang called for a sudden rehearsal because he was going to announce something important. Hyun Joong chose to go home and prepare to go to that meeting.

 

Since it was Saturday, it was Auntie Dina’s day-offs. In that case, his wife should be around like how every weekend used to. But then he couldn’t find her anywhere. Not that he was looking for her, just wondering where she headed to. Believe him, these are two different things.

 

After washing up, he heard the same ringtone from last night. His eyes followed the site where his ears were hearing it from and there, he saw a phone ringing while vibrating and the screen lights going on and off—all indications of an incoming call. He walked over to the small table and picked up. Twenty-one missed calls. And all came from one guy.

 

Hyun Joong shifted his gaze to the lampshade that was also lying atop the table. ‘She must be in a hurry and accidentally left this,’ a side of his brain said. ‘In a hurry to meet him.’

 

 

 

***************************************

 

 

 

Geun Suk was on the way to their college, relieved by the sudden call for a meeting because he didn’t have to accompany a daughter of one of her mother’s friends. Honestly, he did not like the sound of shopping with a lady who loves doing it. He’d most likely end as a chaperon and for him, the word always comes altogether with shopping. He was about to use the band as an excuse when Mr. Hwang actually called, making his mother hear the whole urgency of the matters.

 

Upon reaching the parking lot, he went out of his car and noticed that both Hyun Joong’s and Kyu Jong’s were already parked. So was he the only one they were waiting for? Could be, but also could not be since Il Woo does not have a car and always commutes back and forth. Geun Suk worried as he thought about the possibility that he could be the only one missing and so, he locked his car in an instant and began walking briskly.

 

When he passed the two cars there aside from his, he noticed a rectangular white tiny object lying on the ground. With his curiosity, he walked over and picked it up. It’s an ID. It might have fallen from someone who hadn’t noticed. Geun Suk had the ID’s back on him where a contact person and its address were written. He then turned it around.

 

 

 

Shin Hye.

 

 

 

It belonged to someone named Shin Hye from the College of Education. Geun Suk smiled as his sight landed on the photo. ‘Park Shin Hye.’

 

 

 

When he reached his destination in the College of Music building, he was glad to see his bandmates at the door, opening it for them to get in.

 

 

 

“What, man? You still haven’t told her?!” Geun Suk heard Il Woo shrieked which echoed throughout the hall.

 

 

 

“Well, I haven’t seen her yesterday. It was evening upon my dismissal,” Hyun Joong answered calmly.

 

 

 

“How are we supposed to rehearse without a keyboardist?”

 

 

 

“That’s sad,” Geun Suk butted in when he reached their point. “It’s okay. We’re used to it anyway. We’ll just have her to attend next time.”

 

 

 

“Tsk tsk tsk,” Kyu Jong matched it with a shake of his head. “Sir Hwang didn’t put an effort to tell her. What’s that? He’s really counting on you?”

 

 

 

“’Cause I gave my word.” Hyun Joong didn’t like the suspicion in Kyu Jong’s tone—no, he didn’t like this discussion at all. ‘Don’t make me say things I shouldn’t say,’ he prayed before picking up his drumsticks and heading to their music room’s door. “Geun Suk’s right. We can still go on for now and just complete it next week.”

 

 

 

“Nah,” Il Woo was still not convinced. “Why don’t we give her a call and ask her to come over?”

 

 

 

Hyun Joong stopped from entering, so did Kyu Jong and Geun Suk who were right behind him. “You have her number?” Kyu Jong was able to beat Hyun Joong in asking that.

 

 

 

Il Woo smiled, “Got it from Mr. Hwang,” he replied while they all entered and closed the door behind them. They went to their respective instruments but kept on standing in front of those.

 

 

 

“Man,” it was Kyu Jong again. “Got her number, huh?” he mocked. “Did you just experience falling in love at first sight?”

 

 

 

Il Woo answered him with a laugh and instead of resuming the conversation, he fished out his phone from his pocket and began dialing.

 

 

 

“Don’t bother,” Hyun Joong interrupted his intentions. “She doesn’t have her phone with her.” It was too late when he realized what he just said. “Err—”

 

 

 

Geun Suk was the first to recover as all of them stared at Hyun Joong in awe. “How—how’d you know she doesn’t—” The sound of someone’s ringing phone made him cut his question.

 

 

 

Not wanting to let the matter go, reluctance was painted on Il Woo’s face until Kyu Jong patted him on the shoulder, “It’s Sir Hwang, dude. You might want to put him on speaker phone.”

 

 

 

Hyun Joong moved forward to snatch his bandmate’s phone in his hands, “Yes, Sir?” And their adviser’s stern words made them concentrate on rehearsing without going back to the vicious topic. Well, it was vicious in Hyun Joong’s point of view since he felt like he was being grilled. He’d have to be careful with his words for the many next times he’d be with them.

 

 

 

***************************************

 

 

 

“Thank you, thank you so much!!” So Min screamed as she wasn’t able to contain her joy.

 

 

 

“We’ll see you tomorrow, young miss,” the gentleman beamed.

 

 

 

So Min got out of the shop only to turn around and gave it a last look. ‘Honesty Cups,’ the sparkling sign smiled back at her. The sun has set some time ago when she just finished looking for a part-time where she fits in the requirements and where it fits her requirements in return.

 

 

 

 

 

“What kind of a job-seeker are you to be laying your curfew on our table?”

 

“7 PM? You sure love to kid around, kid. Now, get your kidding out of here for we don’t have time to kid with you!!”

 

“I thought I ought to accept employees who can meet my requirements, not the other way around.”

 

 

 

 

 

In reality, So Min had been accepted numerous times only to be rejected once she pleaded that her shifts ended before 7 in the evening. It must be a nuisance to the employers to be hearing such ridiculous request from an applicant.

 

She sighed in relief for finally finding this coffee shop whose boss didn’t mind if she were to go home before her curfew. The guy was actually young, perhaps between 25 – 28 years old. But to be already an entrepreneur at such age, he must’ve been really blessed.

 

So Min walked away from the shop towards the bus station. Her job starts on the following day—Sunday—which would be considered as her orientation. The regularity would begin on Monday. Since all her classes everyday end at 4:00, her weekdays shift would be 4:30 to 6:30 PM and 8AM until 6PM on weekends. It’d be a total of 30 hours a week instead of the usual 48 hours for a regular employee. But she’s a student, so the boss gave her all the considerations of being one, and she very much appreciated him for that.

 

 

 

Upon reaching the bus stop nearest the coffee shop, she gasped in horror when she realized the late afternoon was over. “What time is it?!” she panicked. Her wrists were empty; her phone was nowhere to be found—not in her pockets nor in her bag. “Oh !”

 

 

 

How was she to know if she stayed out too long?

 

Damn!

 

The village was still thirty minutes away by bus.

 

 

 

***************************************

 

 

 

After practice, Il Woo was commuting to head home. As usual, he declined his bandmates’ offers to give him a ride home. That’s because he thought of stopping by the mall to buy the stuffed toy which fancied her mother’s eyes the last time he brought her there. The mere thought of her mother brought a cheeky smile on his lips.

 

He had an older brother—Jung Min, who’s 4 years older than he. They were living a cozy life until their father got involved in a gang shootout along the streets. He was killed on the spot. Back then, Il Woo was a senior in high school while Jung Min was a college senior.

 

After his death, his business partner did stuff that could make himself own the business they both started solely. Her husband’s sudden demise and the bankrupt caused Betty—Jung Min’s and Il Woo’s mother—to undergo a severe depression which led to maladaptive coping through denial and regression. And yes, her liking of the aforementioned stuffed toy was a part of regression.

 

 

 

When Il Woo reached the toy store, he immediately searched for the average-sized white bear, which he spotted among one of the racks for stuffed animals. Before his hands could reach for it, a hand which belongs to a saleslady got it first. “Oops!” the lady uttered. “I’m so sorry, sir. Were you going to buy it? A customer has it reserved last week and would actually want to have it now.”

 

 

 

His hands fell on his waist, “I think I heard someone last week say that it wasn’t for reservation?”

 

 

 

“It wasn’t, sir,” a man, who looked like the store manager, interrupted. “It wasn’t for reservation last week because it has been already reserved by the time you had asked.”

 

 

 

Disappointment ate Il Woo’s whole being. He told his mother he’d get it once he has enough money, that’s why he asked for reservation which was denied to him. Now that he has enough money to buy it, it had to be picked up by the buyer. Just how unlucky could he get?

 

 

 

“We can guarantee a reservation for a similar one, sir,” the man said again. “But the earliest arrivals from the supplier would be next week.”

 

 

 

Next week? Il Woo wasn’t sure if he could wait another week to be able to see the happiness on his mom’s countenance.

 

And he wasn’t sure if a miracle could occur for the author to be able to write the next chapter next week and let him buy the said toy.

 

For a minute, he contemplated on it as he stared at the bear which was staring back at him, smiling.

 

 

 

“Hi!” a new female voice greeted. “Is it ready?”

 

 

 

“Yes, ma’am!” replied the saleslady and her manager, giving Il Woo a bow before leaving him there.

 

 

 

Il Woo’s eyes remained looking at the now empty space on the rack as he pictured out the sadness in his mother’s eyes when he gets home empty-handed.

 

He inhaled one hard breath before composing himself, and as he did so, he looked up and saw the bear again, greeting him. Astonished with it, his sight followed the arm that was holding it until he saw a girl, extending her hands.

 

 

 

“I heard your talk with them,” she beamed. “Though I don’t know your specific reason for wanting it, I can see your frustration for not having it today, so I thought I’d just hand it to you.”

 

 

 

“Err—” Il Woo was lost for words. “But—but how ‘bout you?” Though what his brain yelled at him was to grab the toy and set off, it was impolite by just doing that.

 

 

 

“Me? I’ll be alright. It isn’t meant for me anyway.” She completely handed it to him and turned to leave.

 

 

 

“Wait!” he yelled, making her stop and give him a quizzical look. “I—uhh—can I—you said it wasn’t meant for you. May I know whose is it for?” He honestly didn’t know what came to him to ask that. He just made a bargain to himself—if it was for the girl’s mother like how it was for his, he would give way and return it to her.

 

 

 

“Oh,” she replied. “It’s for one of my best friends. She’ll be celebrating her birthday soon. I found her gazing at that toy three weeks ago when we were here, so I had it reserved since then. Don’t worry about the bill. It was paid the moment I reserved it.” She winked at him before turning around again.

 

 

 

“Wait!!” The girl turned around once more, this time, without a smile, which made Il Woo flinch. “Uh—Ehrm—Pardon me, but I heard you say her birthday’s coming soon—if it’s soon, why are you—”

 

 

 

“Look,” the lady cut his sentence. She perfectly knew where this was going. “I gave it to you so you’d be able to give it to your girlfriend. Stop inquiring about it anymore, okay? A simple thanks would do.”

 

 

 

“Well uh—” he was dumbfounded yet again. How could a small lady actually be this fierce? “It isn’t for my girlfriend ‘cause as far as I remember, I don’t have any. It’s for my mom and yeah—” he gave her a beautiful smile. “I really owe you for this one. Many thanks to you.” He paused for a while to study her reaction and when he saw a change in those fierce eyes of hers, he continued, “I’m Il Woo, by the way.”

 

 

 

He found relief when the female returned his enthusiasm and stretched her hand to shake his extended one. “Seung Ah,” she smiled back beautifully.

 

 

 

***************************************

 

 

 

Similar to the morning after his jog, Hyun Joong came to an empty house again. He wasn’t sure how to react to that. Should he be angry because it was just the first day after her curfew was established yet she failed to obey it? Contented because he’d have a quiet environment to think of Mr. Hwang’s words? Or happy because she’s spending extra time with someone—he supposed—she met today?

 

 

 

He glanced at the wall clock hanging just above their front door. 8:45

She was an hour and 45 minutes late.

 

He sighed before turning to direct himself to the kitchen. He wasn’t expecting to find cooked food there given that there had been no one home since morning, but the temptation of having a hot cup of coffee was too much to deny. He had dinner with his bandmates anyway, so he was left with a task to do and that was to gain them a keyboardist.

 

So Min carefully inserted her key on the knob and twisted it, making sure she didn’t make the slightest sound. Though she didn’t have anything to keep her updated of the time, she was aware it was past her curfew and she was silently cursing the heavy traffic on her way home. It would be a huge disaster between Hyun Joong and her again.

 

To her surprise, the door wasn’t even locked. Using the key to an open door—she considered herself a fool. Once inside, she closed it behind her with the dark and empty living room in front of her. She heard her stomach grumbling, so she decided to advance to the kitchen first to grab something to eat.

 

 

 

She switched the lights on in the kitchen upon entering only to be greeted by someone’s presence. “WAH!” she nearly jumped when she saw Hyun Joong sitting on one of the chairs on the dining table with a cup of coffee in hand; and she wondered why he chose to stay in the dark and startle her when he could just leave the lights on.

 

 

 

She saw him briefly look up at her and then at his watch without saying anything. She tried to smile and showed him her wrists. “Ah—mm—left the watch and—haha! The phone too. So stupid.” So Min tried to fake a laugh and joke but it wasn’t easing her nervousness.

 

 

 

“Starting next week—” he spoke, which made the woman groan inwardly. After giving her a long sermon the previous night, was he going to lay another rule regarding her time embargo? She compressed her lids and eyebags together in an attempt to avoid seeing his face once he had that triumphant grin of his. “You’ll be practicing with us in the band.”

 

 

 

“I-know-I’m-late-today-and-I’m blaming-the-traffic-for—eh?” So Min opened her eyes in a widened diameter upon the registry of what he just said. “Practicing?”

 

 

 

“Yes,” Hyun Joong snarled. “Shall I define it?” Sensing the confusion and anxiety pictured in her expression, he decided to explain further, “You will be—rather, you are a part of the band. Forget about quitting.” Even without words, he could see shock replacing the other two reactions a while ago. At least she’s showing improvement on how to react properly.

 

 

 

“But I thought last Monday, you said—”

 

 

 

“Forget about it.” He raised a brow at her. “Unless you want the dean to remove you on the dean’s list and the officials to sue you for breach of contract.”

 

 

 

“HAAAAAH?!” her eyes and mouth broadened more, obviously threatened by the last phrase he uttered. “Okay,” she went back to her prissy self. “I’ll be practicing. I’m a part of the band,” she said loudly at first and then chanted it repetitively in a soft whisper.

 

 

 

Hyun Joong remained staring at her, amazement plastered on his features. He wondered how she could show various expressions right now when she kept indifferent all these times. He sipped the last drops of his beverage and continued, “Weekday practice starts at 7PM. Weekends are free except if there’ll be a missed weekday practice.”

 

 

 

“I’ll be practicing. I’m a part of the band. I’ll be practicing. I’m a part of the band. I’ll be prac—Did you just say 7PM?” She was finally able to break her mantra and focused on him. The man answered by raising both eyebrows. “But how about my wor—” Oops! She almost slipped there.

 

 

 

“Your what?” Hyun Joong tried to figure out what was fretting her. Was it the band? The academics? Or was it a person?

 

 

 

On the other hand, So Min fumbled her hands together, trying to search for the right thing to say. She wouldn’t tell him about the conflict with her work schedule.  She gathered her tongue’s strength and stuttered, “M—m—my—curfew? Yes, that’s it. How about my curfew?”

 

 

 

“Curfew?” he incredulously asked. It’s unbelievable how she could still think of that despite his efforts not to question her about being late. He hadn’t intended establishing it the previous night. He was just carried away by some immediate force that made him blurt it without prior notice from his brain. Maybe he was paranoid—worried that something terrible might happen to her while she’s out there to he-doesn’t-know-where and with he-doesn’t-want-to-know-who. Or maybe he was just jealo—

 

“It wouldn’t be effective if you’re with me. Otherwise, it is,” he cut off whatever it was that the author was typing.

 

Paranoid. Worried—Right. Nothing else.

 

 

 

Hyun Joong stood up and turned his back on her to wash his cup on the sink, whereas So Min stayed standing at the other end of the table, still staring at the chair he just abandoned.

 

 

 

Classes. Part-time job. Band practice.

 

Marvelous!

 

Now, her everyday schedule was fully packed and she didn’t have any idea for how long she could endure it. Much as she wanted to gripe, first of all, she didn’t have any plans of informing her husband about her newly found work; second, she was afraid of the removal of her title and the possible breach of contract case. She didn’t want to tell him not because he’d get angry or anything—but because she knew he wouldn’t care. So what if she went to school, went to work and then went to practice for weekdays and then full work on weekends? It wouldn’t matter to him, would it? Or maybe he would care. Even just a little.

 

 

 

“Wait,” she halted him when he was about to walk past her. “Have you uhm—eaten?”

 

 

 

Hyun Joong glanced at her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter