Fourteenth Beat

Missing Beat
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

[kyle's notes]: wasn't really supposed to post today, but surprisingly—yes, it really surprised me that I've finished writing after eating to death.. give me a year supply of food?  LOL

but of course, don't expect anything much here haha

 

WARNING: LOTS of ERRORS everywhere

 

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

 

 

 

“Yes, sir. We’ll have to postpone it until that member of ours recovers. Yes, we’re very sorry for that. Thanks for your understanding and much more thanks to your offer to our band.” Mr. Hwang pressed the end call button, sighing as he faced the two young lads who had similar frowns. Another opportunity they had to delay.

 

He moved his eyes to the keyboards then on the drum set, placing both hands on hips, “Did they tell any of you about this?

 

 

 

Geun Suk muffled a yawn. “Nah. Haven’t even noticed Hyun Joong’s not in our classes all day. If only I knew they wouldn’t come in today, I should’ve stayed in bed.”

 

 

 

“That’s because you were busy sleeping the whole day.”

 

 

 

The older of the two was about to squelch, but the adviser interfered. They had a more serious crisis to face than this childish bickering. “Let’s cancel today’s practice and reconvene tomorrow. Perhaps, So Min still does not feel good, so they chose not to attend school. Hope she gets sufficient downtime.”

 

 

 

“Agreed,” Kyu Jong said, hiding his joy upon hearing the words. He was already doing an epic dance move in his mind. ‘No practice today! Mwahaha!’

 

 

Mr. Hwang dismissed them, locking the practice room and leaving them on the hallway.

 

 

 

Geun Suk calmly walked beside his bandmate, thinking of his lessons. He had to remember them, but darn it! Why did he let his sleepiness conquer his being? He hadn’t even brought his car ‘cause he was too groggy to drive. ‘Ugh!’ Now, he was starting to have a headache.

 

 

 

“Man, don’t be guilty for sleeping in class,” Kyu Jong placed a hand on his pal’s shoulder. “You’ve been studying your off for a month and still got four months to go for this sem. A whole day sleeping in class wouldn’t hurt too badly.”

 

 

 

Geun Suk was quick to agree, but then he wasn’t worried about his grades here. “Hyun Joong’s gonna be asking about them for sure.”

 

 

 

“Well, ask your other classmates then. But if none of them wants to help you, just tell him, ‘Hey, Hyun Joong! It’s not like you haven’t read all the lessons for the whole semester yet.’”

 

 

 

“Ugh! That’s right. The grade conscious freak!” sending them both laughing as they made fun of an absent mate. The man could even choose not to attend classes for the rest of the sem—he could just come back during exam seasons; still his grades wouldn’t suffer. Geun Suk wished he could have a part of Hyun Joong’s brain, so he wouldn’t have to study much. “You gonna go home straight from here? No sidelines?”

 

 

 

“No sidelines,” Kyu Jong shook his head, removing his hand on Geun Suk’s shoulder. “My bed’s invitation sounds better than some bar party tonight. Plus, same with you: don’t have my car.”

 

 

 

“Damn right,” Geun Suk said and tiredly sighed. They’d just dedicated most of their free time to practice these past days for the event last night. Assuredly, the first thing on their mind during the performance was rest, rest, and more rest after that night. But Il Woo’s unfortunate event had put that thought aside, making them stay awake and steal some more of their relaxation hours for him. Not that he—or any of them for that matter—was complaining. It was all being done from the bottom of their hearts.

 

Though they weren’t very vocal about their insights, they knew they had the same burden being carried inside as a friend—almost a brother—still lay unconscious. He looked down, trying to hide his exhaustion from their youngest member. If they’d let Kyu Jong witness their unspoken weakness, who else would he turn to? Still with eyes on the ground, he prayed for some source of strength.

 

 

 

“Let’s visit Il Woo after classes tomorrow? I want to today, but my body’s opposing.” Kyu Jong asked when they were nearing the Gate 1 exit.

 

 

 

Geun Suk nodded and lifted his head to offer an encouraging smile. A FORCED encouraging smile – which was replaced by a REAL one once his sight spotted two ladies walking out of the College of Education. His gaze lingered on the one with the longer hair, his encouraging smile slowly turning into a dreamy one. If he had the energy, he would have walked over to them to make her angry and voila! His day would brighten up. But did he have to do that when the mere sight of her had already produced this galvanizing feeling? He prayed for some source of strength—and he just got it answered. “Thank you,” he whispered, following his younger buddy out the gate. Giving one last glance before heading off, “Babe.”

 

 

 

***************************************

 

 

 

So Min budged in her seat, obviously uncomfortable with the unmoving gaze of her husband who was seated on one of the single couches located near the door. What a deluxe private hospital room. Jung Min definitely wanted what’s best for his brother. “I’m sorry. You don’t have to stay if you get too bored in here,” she said shifting to another direction – towards the lying person on the bed.

 

 

 

“Jung Min said the same thing before leaving,” Hyun Joong replied casually before taking his sight off her—at last! He wasn’t even aware than he was staring longer than polite. He didn’t want her to be scared nor to think about him being inappropriate—not that she hadn’t thought of him that way, considering the way he dragged her to the bathroom

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter