Fourth Beat

Missing Beat
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

[kyle's notes]: this is actually a combination of 2 chapters (Chapters 4 & 5).. but since the scenes happened on the same day (in my mind), I decided to put them together.. which leaves me with no spare chapter left hahaha it only means it might take me a long time to update.. well, nothing's new on that, right? you're all used to may laziness anyway

 

warning: long chapter with LOTS of ERRORS ahead

 

 

 

So Min didn’t know what happened next. All she knew was that she is now being dragged by Hyun Joong outside the music room and to who-knows-where.

 

 

 

“He—hey! That hurts!” she twisted her wrist in order to loosen Hyun Joong’s hold on it. She rubbed it with her other hand as she glared at him. Since when did dragging her by the wrist become his hobby? She then looked around to find out that they were already on the rooftop of the college of music building.

 

 

 

“I thought I made myself clear.” He faced her. “What part of stay out of my way can’t you understand?”

 

 

 

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

 

 

 

“What was that supposed to mean?!” he threw the question back as he pointed down where the floor of the music room was located.

 

 

 

So Min pondered a bit before realizing what he meant. “I didn’t know you’re a part of it.”

 

 

 

“Don’t play dumb with me!”

 

 

 

“I’m serious! I didn’t know! I wouldn’t have agreed to it if I did!”

 

 

 

He rolled his eyes and remained looking at the sky. He didn’t have any idea why he was so angry seeing her enter that room and claiming to be the new and the last member to complete their band. Just what the hell was wrong with Mr. Hwang?

 

When he told them that he found someone to be a part of the band, he said the person is good in music. But he never said it’s a she and he never said it’d be her. So Min—his wife.

Why did it have to be so complicated?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

He tried his best to stay out of her way just like how she was trying to stay out of his. Now, where could the staying out be included when they’d be together practically every day after dismissal of classes? Not that he wasn’t used to them being together since they’re staying in one roof. It just didn’t sound right having other people, specifically the whole student body, know that they’d be near each other.

 

 

 

But then what’s so bad about having her near him around other people? Was it because he got easily annoyed with her presence? Because she showed the fewest emotions when she’s with him? Because he didn’t want the whole world to know they’re married?

 

 

 

And the furthermost corner of his brain answered him.

 

 

 

‘Because of your guilt!’

 

 

 

He swallowed some amount of saliva as he stared at her. The mere sight of her and the band situation were starting to drive him nuts.

 

 

 

 

 

“You’re getting married,” his father calmly stated. “In three months.”

 

They were in the study room on the day of his grandfather’s funeral which ceremony had just ended.

 

 “What was that? When did I have a fiancée?”

 

“Since your grandfather made that last will and testament.”

 

“What does a last will have to do with marriage?”

 

“It is stated there that he will give your inheritance once you’re married.”

 

“And I don’t get to say no to this?”

 

“I’m not forcing you to. But isn’t that great? You’ve been begging him to give that to you for years.”

 

He thought about it for a moment. His father was right. When his grandfather was still alive, Hyun Joong had been asking him for his inheritance.

 

Why choose to give it when you’re gone and won’t be able to see how happy your grandson is, when you could give it now and enjoy the sight of the happiness in me? – he always asked him. And the grandfather would always answer that there’s a condition for him to be able to get it.

 

So now, having a wife was his condition all along? If he had it figured out earlier, he would’ve gone through it and his grandfather would no doubt bestow it to him regardless if he’s still alive or not. But now he’s gone and the content of the testament was just revealed.

 

“Can I at least look for my bride first?”

 

The older Mr. Kim chuckled. “If you could find a bride that easy, do you think dad would make that as his condition? You know him well. His conditions wouldn’t be the easy ones.”

 

“What do you mean?” his brows met at the top-edge of his nose.

 

“He knew you wouldn’t have the decision of getting married that early. Man, you don’t even have someone in your life back then. Oh,” he paused. “That sounded so wrong—you still don’t have someone until now. So how the hell would you get married in an instant?”

 

Hyun Joong glared at his father. Was he looking down on him? Didn’t he know that if he would just announce a ‘looking for the perfect bride’ advertisement, every woman would line up just to win it?

 

“I see you’re degrading your own son.”

 

“It’s not what I’m trying to say.”

 

“Then what is?”

 

His father sat on his office table and blankly stared at him. “I’m saying you don’t need to look for your bride.” He grinned at him. “You already have one.”

 

 

 

 

 

“I have a very important reason as to why I decided to join. You still have my word—I’m staying out of your way. I hope you understand,” So Min’s soothing voice awoke him from his trance.

 

 

 

He tried his best to gawk at her when all he wanted to do was apologize for letting her be in this situation—a marriage they both didn’t want to have.

 

Guilt wasn’t a very good feeling, especially when its twin known as conscience is flying all around you, trying to convince you that you are at fault for using an innocent woman just to have your inheritance.

 

 

 

‘Her parents used me too!’ he screamed. They used him to have the money they need to start their own business.

 

But was it really him they used? Wasn’t it their daughter that they sold for it? So bottom line—her parents used her and he was using her too. All for money. All for greed.

 

 

 

“Hey! You’re starting to freak me out here!”

 

 

 

He shook the abhorrent thoughts off and concentrated to the lady in front of him.

 

 

 

The same lady in the said abhorrent thoughts.

 

 

 

“Fine. Whatever that reason is,” he turned his back on her. “I have your word.” Then he was gone.

 

 

 

So Min let out the heaviest sigh she’s been saving since he dragged her out of the dreaded room. How come Mr. Hwang didn’t inform her about her husband’s membership in the band? She definitely needs to find him and start interrogating.

 

 

 

***************************************

 

 

 

Si Wan stared at the grand piano in front of him as he sat there alone in one of the music rooms in Golden Typhoon University. Golden Typhoon—the university he entered after leaving Silver Crown U. These two had been in competition ever since he could remember. It wasn’t his choice to transfer when the one person who brightens his day was in Silver Crown. But his family needed to move out of their old house since they just bought a new one. And sadly, that new one was nearer to Golden Typhoon.

 

And less than two years after he transferred, So Min had to marry someone else. When he heard about it from her over the phone, he thought she was just like all the other people around him— fake.

 

He thought she just played with his feelings. But then what right did he have when all he was in her life was a special friend? What kind of fool would think they have the right to feel betrayed when they aren’t even the lover?

 

 

 

 

 

 “Si Wan, I—”

 

“What’s wrong, So Min? Do we have to meet for that important thing you’re talking about?”

 

“NO! NO! I—I can’t—I can’t say it in person. It’s—”

 

He tore his phone away from his ear to check if she was still there and her name flashing on the screen with the word ‘connected’ confirmed that she was.

 

“Hello, So Min—why’d you stop? I thought you were cut off.”

 

“I’m getting married next week,” she said in one breath that he wasn’t even sure if he got that right.

 

“You—you’re what?” he held his hopes up, wishing her tongue just blurted the wrong things.

 

“I—I’m sorry. I couldn’t do anything about it,” and she began to cry. “I tried but—”

 

And he cut it. He cut it before she could state her reasons which he considered as excuses back then. He was mad. Mad at her while he thought she cheated on him. And mad at his self for thinking that way when he didn’t really have the right to.

 

He tried focusing his mind to anything but her. His studies. His family. His band. But then who was his brain to think it could easily get her out of it? In everything he did, So Min crossed his mind only once.

 

Yes, once.

 

And she never left when that once came.

 

Two days before the dreaded day, he couldn’t take it anymore. He needed to clarify things to her. And talk to her, he did. Though it was just over the phone, at least everything got cleared.  She didn’t invite him though, and his shoulders slumped because he hoped she would. He knew she’d feel alone— desolated with no one to turn to. She would like to feel his embrace in seeking solace from all the stress. She would wish for his encouraging words to urge her to go on and be strong. She would hope for his warmth when everyone else turns cold in that celebration that they both loathed.

 

In the end, So Min was right— he invited himself just so he could fulfill the sudden emptiness in his heart. She needed him to succor her from all of it. To protect her from any harm.

 

 

 

 

 

 “Earth to Si Wan!!” another voice startled him.

 

 

 

Si Wan sighed a last one before shrugging his thoughts and turning away from the window to the person who just disturbed him. “What?!”

 

 

 

“Don’t what me, you idiot! I’ve been talking for minutes only to find out that you weren’t listening at all!”

 

 

 

“Tsk!” Si Wan rolled his eyes. “You know, for a male like you, Jun Young, you sound like a pregnant woman who has mood swings.”

 

 

 

“What’s the connection of being noisy to having mood swings?”

 

 

 

“Oh, wow! I’m surprised you know you’re noisy.”

 

 

 

“At least I’m honest to myself,” Jun Young smirked at him. “Unlike you who wants to just sit quietly and speak nothing.”

 

 

 

“You’re honest and unlike me who’s just quiet,” he repeated. “Since when did the two have the opposite meanings?”

 

 

 

“Since I said so!” Jun Young yelled. He walked to another corner in the room where a bass guitar was located. He then sat on a wooden chair and began plucking.

 

 

 

Si Wan chortled at the childish act his band mate showed him. Forget it. He was always like that anyway. Moon Jun Young, one of his three band mates and closest friend in GT University. Jun Young was the noisy one. He loved annoying everyone by his loud mouth and endless teasing.

 

Then there’s Park Hyung Sik on drums. He’s the cheerful type. Not as noisy as Jun Young, but his positive aura was quite infectious that everyone who gets near him becomes positively charged.

 

Lastly, there’s Hwang Wang Hee on guitars. He was the mysterious type just like Si Wan. Both of them did not speak much though Wang Hee’s case was much worse. Si Wan talked to people he seems at ease to talk to. Wang Hee didn’t speak unless very much needed and it creeps them out each time. But then his longest spoken speech or words were always intended towards them since they were his companion in this band. This band they established a year ago. The three other guys were the original members and Si Wan was the last to enter. At first, he wasn’t really sure of joining. But So Min—it was her who drove him into joining.

 

Why?

 

Because of his desire to divert his mind off her. Because he didn’t want to think about her. Because those were the times he felt like he was cheated on.

 

But then was he able to get her off his mind when the primary reason of all this was basically her?

 

 

 

“Z’up, dudes?” Hyung Sik came and directed to the seat beside Jun Young. “Woah! Why do I feel some tension in the air?”

 

 

 

“Ask that idiot,” Jun Young said with a diction which made both Hyung Sik and Si Wan laugh. He could be a baby at times. Oh, make that all the time.

 

As they waited for Kwang Hee to arrive, Si Wan couldn’t help but get back to thinking about So Min. He kept on wondering what she’s been doing. If she’s alright. If her husband was treating her well. He wanted so bad to go and see her, but he knew she was too honorable to allow him to do that.

 

His thoughts were disturbed once again upon the arrival of Wang Hee, indicating the need to start their rehearsal.

 

 

 

***************************************

 

 

 

“Huh? Why would she do that?” Geun Suk questioned. It was Friday afternoon just right when most of the classes have ended. The previous three days of rehearsal were lifeless as if there was something lacking.

 

 

 

And they all knew what it was.

 

 

 

Mr. Hwang placed his hands on his waist and pointed an accusing finger at Hyun Joong who was sitting on his drum chair.

 

 

 

“What?” Hyun Joong innocently asked.

 

 

 

“Direct that question to that drummer of yours,” Mr. Hwang told Geun Suk.

 

 

 

Geun Suk, Il Woo and Kyu Jong all looked at Hyun Joong. “Why should we ask him?”

 

 

 

“Wasn’t he the one who yanked the poor lady out of this room? And the next thing I know, So Min called and said she’s quitting.”

 

 

 

Hyun Joong smirked at that. So she still didn’t pursue it in the end. When he talked to her last Monday, he saw the determination in her eyes. Not just that, there was also desperation when she asked him to understand that she had a very important reason. Determination and desperation. Not a very good combination, are they?

 

If that was very much important, why did she choose to back out? Because he was angry? Because it was a part of staying out of his way?

 

 

 

“She will what?” Geun Suk’s exclamation let him go back to the conversation.

 

 

 

 

 

“Yeah,” there was sadness in Mr. Hwang’s voice. “I feel really guilty about it.”

 

 

 

“What was that?” Hyun Joong tried catching up. “I didn’t get that.” He only received a glare from their music adviser.

 

 

 

“Poor lady indeed,” it was Kyu Jong. “Will the dean really do that? I mean, being a part of this band has nothing to do with her academics.”

 

 

 

“You don’t know how elated Dean Choi was when I told him the members are complete. It was wrong for me to hand him the list of names. Very wro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter