Thirteenth Beat

Missing Beat
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

[kyle's notes]: sorry for not updating sooner a.k.a. right after finishing my exams.. it's because of some mini vacation haha I hope I got enough inspiration during that trip in writing this, though I doubt my writing skills very much.. it T.T

 

WARNING: LOTS of ERRORS ahead

 

 

 

 

“Honey, you should be getting some sleep. It’s already 4 in the morning.” Alvin Jung stood behind the couch, placing his hands on his wife’s shoulders to force her to stand up and to walk to their bedroom. It had been a very devastating situation in their lives where they seemed to be looking for something that didn’t want to be found. It was vexing; frustrating to the point that he just wanted to give up. But no; this was his family that was at stake. The family he dreamt of since the first time he had an ideal girl he wanted to marry; the family he had built with the love of his life; the family that served as his source of strength and desire to go on. No, he couldn’t give up now. Not when they seemed so close to rebuilding it again.

 

 

 

But the woman remained seated, clasping her hands tightly together. “I can’t explain it. There’s something really bothering me.” She crossed her arms on her chest to reach for each of his husband’s hands on her shoulder blades. “Like something bad happened to my kids.”

 

 

 

Alvin soothed her, leaning on her head for support. He, too, was dead tired with all this chaos. He wanted this to end so that they could reunite and be happy again. “We’ll go the coffee shop later to confirm Andrew’s new info, hmm?”

 

 

 

Elvie nodded, grasping more of the epidermis she got between her fingers. This odd feeling was really disturbing. She didn’t like it one bit—it was similar to a haunted feeling, wanting to search for her soul and swallow it whole. There’s no way her children could be in jeopardy, could they? With a weary sigh, she closed her eyes and allowed the dreaded tears to fall. ‘Both of you should be fine. Mommy’s coming.’

 

 

 

***************************************

 

 

 

“Call us if you need anything, sir.” The health workers bowed and exited the private room where Il Woo was transferred after surpassing the most critical period of his condition. Thanks to So Min and her blood.

 

 

 

Jung Min gave a quick acknowledgement before entering the said room and sitting on the chair nearest to his brother’s bed. “You should get some rest,” he heard Kyu Jong say.

 

 

 

Slightly turning his head, “Thanks for the concern. You guys should too,” referring to the others as well – Geun Suk and Mr. Hwang. He was very grateful that his brother had such thoughtful companions; most especially the one girl who was very willing to sacrifice a huge amount of her body fluid just to save Il Woo from danger. Jung Min would’ve gone insane if it weren’t for them.

 

 

“Man, the sun is almost up. I do hope So Min is doing fine. Hyun Joong’s gonna get some lecture if he forsakes her,” Geun Suk said with So Min’s pale image still lingering in his mind. The lady was all life and warmth. But after the blood donation, her color hadn’t been far from the paleness of the unconscious Il Woo. They were very akin—almost identical—only that Il Woo was, well, unconscious.

 

 

 

“Not just some lecture,” Kyu Jong neighed then put up his oh-so-serious face, “He’s gonna get some killing too.”

 

 

 

“Talk about overprotectiveness,” Mr. Hwang rolled his eyes as he shook his head. Don’t get him wrong. He wasn’t annoyed, alright. In fact, he was proud—too proud that s looked out for each other. Something that indicated how strong their bonds were. “We gotta go, kids. Il Woo and Jung Min need their rests.”

 

 

 

Agreeing with a nod, “We’ll be back in the afternoon,” Kyu Jong tapped Jung Min’s shoulder then thought for a while. “Or some time in the evening if this monkey oversleeps again.”

 

 

 

“Hey!!” immediately retorting with a smack in the head. “I’m older than you. Show some respect.”

 

 

 

“That’s quite enough, boys.” Mr. Hwang pulled the two members apart while sending an apologetic glance at Jung Min.

 

 

 

“It’s okay. You guys have classes. You can come back after them. It’s alarming me enough that I’ve kept you this late.”

 

 

 

“We’re going now and hope he’s awake by the time we come back,” was the adviser’s last remark, pushing the two men out of the room.

 

 

 

“Thanks,” Jung Min responded and gave them a genuine smile.

 

 

 

Soon as the three were out, he offered his full attention to his younger brother, lying lifelessly on the hospital bed. So Min was right—he was pale and bruised. He appeared so delicate and he hated it to the core—hated it because it hurt. It pained him to look at his brother in such circumstance. Looking at him was much more painful than the stomachaches he endured for not eating on time to finish his studies; the headaches he ignored from pulling those all-nighters to finish his job in getting back his father’s business. Oh, this was definitely much more painful than sacrificing his youth in order to be the toughest member of his family.

 

 

 

“You should wake up soon. Everyone’s waiting for you,” he softly said, grasping a cold hand in his. “Including mother.” His eyelids became heavier which sent him to his own dreamland minutes later.

 

 

 

Outside the room, a shadow shifted in the hallway as its owner gently shut the door of the private room and walked away with a devilish smirk.

 

 

 

***************************************

 

 

 

The loud tone of an alarm echoed in the room. It was distracting as proven by the sudden movement of the female lying on the huge bed. With eyes still closed, she tried reaching for her bedside table to kill the annoying gadget.

 

 

 

‘OH MY—! It’s 8:30!’ Her sleepiness faded as she focused her sight to the screen. Oh, hell, it was Monday and she was late!

 

 

 

 

She was about to stand up, but a tight grip caused her to fall back. “Let’s ditch school. I called them half an hour ago.”

 

 

 

“Heh? But the lectures today are—" she halted upon feeling her hands that were placed in a warm part of flesh, then gasped upon realizing it was her husband’s chest she was touching.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter