Seventeenth Beat

Missing Beat
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

[kyle's notes]: I'm busy having a mental block.. so I guess nothing will come out as a good chapter.. hehehe

 

WARNING: LOTS of ERRORS ahead

 

 

 

 

“Be careful! You’ll trip!” Hyun Joong warned as he trolled behind his wife worried like a mother hen. The girl could hurt herself without even realizing it.

 

 

 

So Min halted to give him a brief glance, “But I wanna see Il Woo.”

 

 

 

“You won’t be able to do that if you sprain an ankle. Walk slowly!” He barked when she seemed ready to do leaping steps again. She was just so joyful to have received the news about their friend.

 

 

 

“You’re not going to accompany me, are you?” though she wanted him to. It was four in the afternoon; she had three hours of free time before band practice starts. While the poor husband…

 

 

 

“There’s a reason why cutting classes were invented,” he said with a smug grin, which didn’t last long for his wife’s hand was already giving him a smack on the bicep.

 

 

 

“I don’t want to be a bad influence here, and I’m sure Il Woo doesn’t want the same thing. He’ll punish you.”

 

 

 

Hyun Joong pouted all the way to the gate that leads to the university hospital. “Fine. But you have to call and update m—” and stopped mid-sentence when he saw someone standing in front of them.

 

 

 

So Min immediately noticed the change in the air as she stared at the same enigmatic eyes she had been looking at the previous evening. During their break time, she was able to share to her best friends what had been happening in her life—all of it.

 

                                                                                           All except her family matters.

 

She had purposely avoided the topic because it was still too overwhelming to accept. She’d tell them when she’s ready.

 

But then, here comes the object of the said maelstrom, showing his self with so many messages in his irises. Her enthusiasm of visiting Il Woo was forgotten; her trembling fingers clutched on a forearm of the man beside her.

 

 

 

“Can—can I—” Wang Hee couldn’t muster the strength to continue. He was looking at Hyun Joong and by the beginning of his question, it was as if he was asking permission to talk to his sister. ‘What the H?!’ finding it nonsensical to do so. He was the brother here, though it still hadn’t completely sank in.

 

He forced his eyes to look at So Min; maybe she’d get the implication from there.

 

 

 

As if reading his mind, So Min let go of Hyun Joong’s arm, causing him to throw a questioning stare. She smiled and nodded, “I’ll be back before practice starts,” she reassured before walking over to her brother. She wished this wouldn’t be too awkward.

 

 

 

***************************************

 

 

 

Seung Ah rubbed a hand at the sore spot on her head, “What was that for?!” while glaring at Shin Hye who was snickering.

 

 

 

“And you call yourself smart with the title of being a dean’s lister!” Shin Hye rolled her eyes with crossed arms. This confession could be considered as the silliest tale she heard. She couldn’t believe her friend could be this dense when it coame to the category of liking and loving. Sure, So Min was dense at this aspect too, but at least she got to read Hyun Joong’s advances before she could make a fool out of herself. But Seung Ah—geez.

 

 

 

“Why, oh, thanks for laughing at my failure in lovelife,” Seung Ah sarcastically remarked. “And you call yourself a best friend?!”

 

 

 

“Seung Ah, you’re really an idiot!”

 

 

 

“Park Shin Hye!”

 

 

 

The long-haired girl held her friend’s shoulders, forcing her to calm down. She ignored the invisible smoke coming from Seung Ah’s nose and ears. “Look, Il Woo did not directly say he has feelings for So Min, right?”

 

 

 

“Yes! But actions speak louder than voice!” A hand came in contact with her forehead; her head stumbled backwards. “That’s strike two, Shin Hye!!”

 

Seung Ah was starting to get disappointed. So Min had gone to the hospital after their dismissal. The girl was just so happy to hear that Il Woo was awake and wondered why he was looking for her the moment he opened his eyes from a deep sleep. She asked them to accompany her; but Seung Ah refused in the excuse of giving them privacy, most especially if Il Woo wanted to say something to her alone. She couldn’t be jealous of her own best friend—instead, she should be glad. That’s what friends are for, right?

 

When So Min was out of sight, she dragged Shin Hye on the bench near the exit where they usually wait for their drivers to fetch them. She told Shin Hye about it, hoping her other friend could give her the sympathy and console her when she couldn’t share the same thing to their other friend. It was making her guilty, but it will make her guiltier if she told So Min about it. She didn’t want to add to her friend’s distress.

 

Yet, instead of giving her the comfort she was expecting, Shin Hye was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter