The Missing Leader

Trapped in the Maze

Hongbin and Hyuk braced themselves as the giant raised it's heavy arm.  They clenched thier eyes shut, tears streaming down their faces as they waited for the inevitable blow.  Hyuk squeezed Hongbin's arm in a death grip.  He was scared to die.  Even worse, his family had no idea where he was.  They wouldn't even have his body for closure.  After what felt like an eternity, Hongbin opened his eyes.  Instead of a giant about to smash their brains in, he was face to face with a grey cement wall. 

"Are we dead?"  Hyuk asked, unable to see the wall in front of him.  He held out a shaky hand to feel the solid surface.  Feeling the rough wall, Hyuk let out a sigh of relief. Hongbin lost all the strength in his legs and collapsed on the ground, unintentionally dragging Hyuk with him.  The two sat there for a moment, letting the feeling of relief sink in.  They had almost died, but for some reason the maze had saved them. Maybe the maze was on a timer and just changed automatically?  Regardless, they were still alive for now.  Hongbin looked over at Hyuk who was scared beyond tears.  

"Come on, Hyuk.  We have to get out of here before this maze changes again."  The visual pulled on Hyuk's arm, but the boy didn't move.  He was in shock.  The maknae was shaking, scared by the realization that death was not only a possibility but a probability in this maze.  He didn't think that the maze had saved them.  He thought that the maze was playing with them.  The maze was trying to scare them, prolonging their deaths until its sadistic ways were satisfied.  

"Hongbin, we're going to die here."  He finally said as his chin dropped to his chest in defeat.

"We aren't going to die.  Not as long as we keep moving."  Hongbin pleaded.   He tried to pull Hyuk's arm again, only for it to be jerked harshly away from his grasp. Now Hyuk was crying, but they were angry tears.  They were tears of defeat,  Tears that accepted their ultimate fates.

"No, how much longer can we run?  How long did Hakyeon run?  He's dead!"  Hyuk sobbed.  Hongbin wrapped his arm's around the maknae's shaking shoulders, but the younger shoved him away roughly. "No!  I don't deserve to be comforted.  Hakyeon died alone and scared here.  Can you imagine being here by yourself?  Eventually you just give up because you know there is no point in running anymore.  Did Hakyeon just accept death? He probably thought we weren't coming to save him since I was the one who sent him here in the first place."

Hyuk punched the ground angrily, splitting one of his knuckles in the process,  He couldn't see the blood, but he could feel his fist throbbing.  He could feel the thick blood coat slowly run down his fingers and coat them red.

"Hyuk, stop blaming yourself."  Hongbin said quietly.  His voice was stern so his words were absolute. Hyuk was pulled to his feet by Hongbin's strong arms.  Even though he protested Hongbin was tired of hearing the maknae blame himself for the situation they were in.  He lifted the maknae onto his back.  If Hyuk wasn't going to move on his own then he'd carry him to the center.  They were all going to get out of the maze alive if he had any say in the outcome.

"Hongbin, let me down.  What if something starts chasing us again?   You'll be too tired to run."  Hyuk pleaded, trying to squirm out of the older boys grasp.

"Hyuk, I'm not going to let you give up."  Hongbin repremanded.  His footsteps were strong but heavy due to the added weight.  "If I put you down, how do I know you'll follow me?  How do I know you won't leave me?"  Hongbin continued and turned a corner, only to be met by a dead end and had to turn back around.  "How do I know that I won't end up scared and alone like Hakyeon is right now?"  Hyuk put his head down in shame.  He hadn't been thinking about how his words had the older boy.  Hyuk knew now that he was just being selfish.  He had given up, not just on himself, but on Hongbin and Hakyeon too.  

"I promise I'll follow you."  Hyuk said quietly.  Hongbin's steps faultered as an inner battle raged in his head.  He didn't know whether to believe the younger boy or not. After some debate he decided that he could probably trust their maknae.  Hyuk had never broken a promise before.  If Hyuk said he would run, he could trust the boy to run with him.  Hyuk clumsily felt for solid ground to stand on as the visual put him down.

"Hongbin, do you think that Jaehwan, Taekwoon, and Wonsik are doing alright?"  The dark haired maknae asked, feeling along the wall for support.  He was listening closely, not just for Hongbin's answer, but also for anything that may decide to creep up on them.  

"I'm sure they are okay."  Hongbin answered.  However there hadn't been a sign of any of the other three members or Hakyeon.  They continued walking and chatting about what they were going to do whenever they escaped the maze.  It was the only way for them to keep their minds off of the present situation.

"When I get out of here I think I want to go visit my parents.  I haven't spoken to them in too long."  Hongbin confessed. With all of their promotions, they hadn't had any time for their families.  To be honest, he missed them a lot.  He knew that this was a sacrifice that came with living his dream.  He also knew that his family understood as well.  However, he would appreciate things much more as soon as he got out of here.  

"That sounds nice.  I might do that too.  If we ever find Hakyeon then I'll make sure I'm nicer to him too.  I won't complain if he treats me like a kid anymore.  I just want him back."  Hyuk rubbed his neck sheepishly.  It sounded silly for him to confess what he had been upset about especially considering everything it had caused.

"He'll probably think you're sick if you start acting differently," Hongbin chuckled.  They continued walking and for a moment they could relax.  There weren't monsters chasing them.  There weren't any walls mysteriously changing on them.  For the moment everything was calm.  

Maybe it was too calm? 

Darkness.

Hakyeon's head hurt.  All that surrounded him was just darkness.   He was floating in this pit of hell.  A suffocating blanket of darkness wrapped around him.  It made him feel both hot and cold at the same time.  He felt like he was suffocating.  The only grip he had on the outside world was one outstretched arm.  That arm was the only thing keeping him from completely falling into the pit of nothingness that surrounded him.  

When he thought about it his head hurt even worse.  He was floating, not falling, but he knew as soon as his arm, clinging desprately to the outside world, gave out then he would fall.  Where would he fall though?  He figured if he did fall he wouldn't die, but instead would be trapped in purgatory forever.  He could feel his grip on reality start to slip, he was losing conciousness.   He let a few tears fall, knowing that he didn't have much time left. He was exhausted.  To his surprise he was able to hear himself speak two words before his hand slipped.

"Help Me."


<3 Kitamea