Ten

Time Bomb
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The drama ended after a while, and the steady breathing coming from Kibum told Jonghyun that the other had fallen asleep. Jonghyun took note of all the little details about him, from the way his eyes moved quickly beneath his lids as he slept, to the little scar on his eyebrow, to the curve of his lips.

He was perfect.

Being careful not to startle him, Jonghyun shook him awake with a gentle hand, brushing his bangs away from his eyes, one of which had opened and was peeking at Jonghyun, shooting him an irritated look.

"Kibum, it's past midnight," Jonghyun started. Kibum sat up with a start, looking at his surroundings with wide eyes. Jonghyun sighed as he saw the younger's face fall, noticing the way he started to close himself off again. Jonghyun just wanted him to let go.

"Thank you for your hospitality, Jonghyun. I'll be going now." Dead eyes, dead voice. It made Jonghyun's heart ache.

"Kibum..."

"Don't worry about earlier, I was overreacting. Don't think anything of this." Kibum quickly got up from next to Jonghyun and grabbed his bag. Jonghyun got up too, running after Kibum as he ran down the stairs and to the cafe exit, grabbing him by the wrist and turning him around to face him.

"Kibum, stop." Jonghyun's voice was firm, letting the younger know he wasn't joking around. "You can't go home like this, what if something happens with your parents again?"

Kibum's eyes lit up like fire, but his voice was as cold and flat as it was when they first met. "What the hell do you know, Jonghyun? I never said anything about my parents, you can't just assume that was the problem."

"What else could it be, then?" Jonghyun asked, trying his hardest keep his voice calm and steady. "You stay here until closing time every single night, Kibum, and I know that's not just because you like it here. You're escaping."

Kibum just laughed. "What is it to you, anyway? Even if what you say is true, you don't have the right to care."

"Don't have the right?" Jonghyun was exasperated. "Kibum, we're friends now, remember?"

"I never agreed to that." Kibum turned his head away, stubbornly avoiding eye contact.

"Fine, Kibum, you want to know what gives me the right to care?" After he just scoffed in response, Jonghyun continued. "I like you, Kibum. God help me, but I do."

Kibum looked back at Jonghyun, his face a mixture of pain and shock, before looking down at his feet. "You don't even know me," Kibum muttered, refusing to look at the elder. "You don't actually like me, there's no way."

"But I do, I really do." Jonghyun ran his hands through his hair in frustration. "You're ruining women for me! Look, all I can think about as I'm walking around each day is, 'Man, I wish these girls were as gorgeous as Kibum is.'"

Kibum laughed bitterly at that. "Don't like me based on my looks alone, Jonghyun, that's not enough."

"That's the thing, Kibum. You're different, I can tell." Jonghyun cleared his throat when his voice started to waver. "I may have a past of being a superficial, shallow bastard, but it's not like that this time. It's not just your appearance. Your personality is amazing Kibum, you just don't let others see that. You let me see it today, and that made me happier than I could ever put into words."

The two were silent for a few moments. The air was heavy and stifling between them; it frustrated Jonghyun.

"So did today just mean nothing to you, then?" Jonghyun asked quietly.

"Jonghyun--"

"No," Jonghyun quickly cut the other off. "I don't know what's going on with you right now, Kibum, but there's one thing I do know. You're running away from something, even if it isn't your parents. Hel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter