A Crowded Room

Keep it Hush, Hush
Edited?
[X] No | [] Yes

                What can sometimes be the worst feeling in the world, but can also be the most exhilarating and wonderful feeling, is that flutter in your chest as you anticipate something to happen. Like climbing a huge slope on a roller coaster; you know it’s going to head downwards, you know the ride is going to go faster, and you know you’re going to yell and scream happily on your way down. This feeling can also be associated with that feeling of watching something happen and knowing in your gut that it’s about to turn for the worst.
 
                I had this exact feeling as we pulled up into the long stone driveway, pulling up closer and closer to the house, and closer and closer to something that I would probably dread. You would think that I would finally be happy to be somewhere familiar, somewhere where I knew people loved me and would take care of me. Instead, my stomach dropped and I found it seemingly harder to breathe; a sense of claustrophobia over taking my senses. I didn’t find myself opening my arms to the warmth that was sure to welcome me once I stepped through my grandparents’ front door. Instead, I had the feeling that I would much rather run away from it.
 
                “Here we are!” My grandfather beamed happily as he shut the car off and opened his door, not seeming to realise the catastrophe that was happening inside my brain.
 
                I took a deep breath before opening my own door and stepping out into the warm summer air. The grass around the front of the house was perfectly trimmed; like someone had taken a ruler to it and cut everything to the exact amount. The front of the house was perfect all on its own as well, with old style red bricks and dark blue shuttered windows, and white pillars lining the front porch, you could tell that this house was worth millions, and definitely extremely well kept. My eyes landed on an old tire swing, slightly fading from the weather and the chain that kept it attached to the tree slowly rusting. It was swaying lightly in the warm breeze, and I had to hold back a smile that wanted to escape onto my lips as I recalled all the times that I had swung on that very swing every time I would come to visit. I would have to come out late at night to enjoy it again when no one was awake.
 
                “Come on inside,” My grandma placed a hand on my back and guided me up the stone path to the front door, “I’m sure the boys would love to see the real you, and not just some pictures on the wall.”
 
                My grandma had about twenty different photographs of me on a wall in the main hall, and all over her mantel above the fireplace in the lounge room. I was her only grandchild and she babied and pretty much worshipped the very ground I walked on. Growing up I had been spoiled rotten; I could see that habits would repeat themselves, and I wasn’t too welcoming to that notion. I wasn’t in the right state of mind to have her fussing about me every moment of the day, and if I knew anything about my sweet old grandma, she would want me to stick close to her and share my thoughts with her.
 
                My grandfather dropped my two suitcases beside me on the front porch and went to unlock the big burgundy door. As soon as it was opened, so were the memories of all the happy times I had in this house. I could even hear my seven year old laughter resonating down the halls. I held my breath for a couple seconds before I breathed in the homey scent of baked goods and flowers. The heels of my wedge boots clicked against the dark cherry wood of the floor, the chandelier hanging above out heads cascading rainbows across the floor. This house had been built decades ago, but it looked newly built, with its walls perfectly painted soft beige, and the furniture, or what was there in the main foyer, and was all up to date. There were a few antique items scattered about, but it only made everything look so much better.
 
                I then took notice of all the photos of me along the wall near the staircase. I was smiling in all of them; several were with my parents, a few with my grandma and grandpa, and others I was sitting alone, laughing at whoever was behind the camera. I quickly looked away; I wasn’t going to revisit those memories.
 
                “Boys!” my grandmother called out, her voice echoing throughout the house. Rushed footsteps could be heard from the floors above; their heavy thumping making my head vibrate. I already didn’t like them. Once they made it to the last set of stairs, a few started to push one another, laughing as a few stumbled on the last couple steps. As if this moment was perfectly rehearsed, they all formed a straight line side by side. I wanted to gag; leave it to my grandma to have them practice and practice for my arrival. “Yuri,” my grandma turned to me and smiled widely, hands clasping together, “Meet the boys!”
 
                They all bowed and sent a greeting that I assumed was supposed to make me feel welcome, but I simply sent a small wave and a ‘hey’ when they stood up straight once more. I saw my grandfather frown at my actions, but he didn’t comment on it. I looked away, not bothering to give them my full attention as they each introduced themselves. I could tell by their tone that they were disappointed in my lack of interest in them; or maybe it was just the sound of boredom. I definitely prefer the latter.
 
                “Kris, please help Yuri carry in her bags and show her to her room.” Grandma instructed one of the boys. I looked over and saw a tall blond nod his head and step forward.
 
                “Of course ma’am,” he stated his voice a deep rumble.
 
                I didn’t argue with my grandmother about being able to carry up my suitcases by myself and just let Kris grab two of the suitcases and begin his climb up the stairs. I let out a sigh, tightening my grip on my duffle bag as I followed a couple steps behind him. Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted the other eleven boys turn to look at me and my grandma sending me a disapproving look. I internally sighed; I wanted to be here less and less and I knew I wasn’t going to leave my room for the rest of the evening. 
Authors Note;
I'm sorry for such a long wait for the second chapter D:
I had a lot of school work that came literally out of nowhere and i struggled to get it done while also adding in a couple paragraphs to this chapter,
bUT IT'S DONE NOW WHOOP WHOOP~!
Although, i feel like the ending is a little rushed.... I might come back and fix it later, but i'll just leave this here o u o
Well, i hope you all enjoyed reading, and until the next update~~;