Chapter 3

Don't Forget Me

The school year ended and Seon Yi never saw Yoongi again after that talk they had at the park. She wanted to erase him, in her mind and in her heart, but it was simply impossible. To reject him was very hard for her, but she knew that what she did was right. She could not take the feeling of being with someone again and not knowing what she is in his life or what position she should take. This is love we're talking about anyway - she does not want to mess it up, but isn't she?

One week before the resume of classes, Jooyeon called to meet up. During school, both of them are always busy so they really take the time to bond at vacations. When she got to the coffee shop, Jooyeon was already there. As soon as she sat down, they already started talking. At the middle of their conversation, Jooyeon suddenly asked about Yoongi again. "So how's it going with that school intruder?" She asked.

Seon Yi was calm now so she did not really mind talking about him. Anyway, Jooyeon is her best friend, she knew there would come a time that she had to tell all about this to her. She just wished that she did not have to relive the memories again. "His name is Yoongi. I told you about him before, right?"

Jooyeon nodded, slicing a piece of her cake. "But you always avoided the topic. You just said that you met when you were younger and that you liked him."

"Well, we met each other in elementary. We were not really close but he got my attention because he was this kid who seemed bad but is actually nice, and I liked that about him." Seon Yi smiled. "It was just a crush at first, but then I got to talk to him more and more everyday. We mostly talked about school stuff though, or our classmates and teachers. As we grew up, my feelings for him developed until one day, I knew I just needed to confess to him and I did." She looked down on her plate and started to play with the cake's icing.

"Gosh Seon Yi! I can't believe you never told me about this. So what did he say?" Jooyeon said.

"He said he liked me too."

"But? I'm pretty sure there's a ‘but’, right?"

Seon Yi laughed and became serious again as she continued with her story. "He's always wanted to be a famous rapper and he said that he wants to focus on his dream first before he considers relationships."

"WHAT? That's crap!" Jooyeon's voice was loud that people turned to them. "I'm sorry." She said bowing in shame, then she turned to Seon Yi and asked her to continue.

"Nothing changed after that. I was glad. Still, I hoped for something more. I mean, we were still young and I knew a relationship is not what I needed but what I wanted was an assurance from him. I went to BHA in high school and he went to DNHA. After that, we slowly drifted apart. Looking back now, I don't think we really knew much about each other… that is if we even knew each other at all. We talked and spent time together, nothing more." Seon Yi sighed. "When he started to audition at agencies, I realized that I was not a priority so I decided." She shrugged her shoulders as if it was not a big deal then she scooped from her sundae and went back to eating.

"That's it?"

"Don't you dare talk like that. You don't know how hard it was for me." Seon Yi said.

"I know." Jooyeon sighed. "But you were young then, maybe what you felt was not really love."

"I thought of that too, that's why I decided to leave. I won't be able to move on from that feeling unless I don't make a clear closure between us. If I wasn't a priority to him then maybe I should also prioritize something else."

"When he came to talk to you though, why were you so mean to him?"

"Because it hurts. It hurts to see his face, to hear his voice, to have him standing in front of me. It hurts so much as if it all happened yesterday." Seon Yi put her spoon down and rested her back on the chair.

Jooyeon felt that she was probably making Seon Yi angry now, but she knew she needed to do it and let it out of her system. "Did you talk to him?"

"I did." Seon Yi looked out the window and saw that it was starting to rain. "He wanted to be given a chance, but I said no." This time, Jooyeon did not say anything; instead she just let Seon Yi talk. "He's probably mad at me or hurt, yeah, probably more hurt than angry. He would rather keep it to himself than blame others."

"Why did you reject him?"

"I don't know. Pride maybe? But it just doesn't seem right to be with him now." A raindrop trickled and drew a path at the window in front of Seon Yi's face. "He caused me great pain Jooyeon. He might not know it but he did."

"I don't think you should blame him. It was your decision to confess."

"I'm not blaming him, Jooyeon." Seon Yi turned to her, and with very sad eyes she said, "I blame myself. I should not have put myself in that position. That's why I don't want to talk to him or see him or give him a chance, because I know how weak I am with him. I know that at some point I would give in and fall for him. I'm afraid that it would happen, Jooyeon. I'm afraid that what happened before would just repeat itself and in the end I would be the only one hurting."

"What if he comes back again?"

"I'll push him away. I'll continue to push him away as long as I can."

"And what if you can't do it anymore?"

"I'll give up. That's all there is left, isn't it?"

Jooyeon smiled and reached for Seon Yi's shoulder. She squeezed it and said, “Don’t worry Seon Yi. I’ll always be here for you. Whatever happens, I’m here to support and help you.”

“I know.” Seon Yi said.