Sweeter Mornings

Milk and Kookies

“Good job, guys. I think we all deserve a 15-minute break,” Rapmon announced after two tiresome hours of non-stop practicing.

The group instantly scattered around the dance studio, swiping their water bottles and chugging them down in one take.

I leaned against the wall opposite the mirror and slid my back down until I was sitting. My legs were aching, probably because I chose to skip the stretching part of our warm-up, like I always do.

Checking myself in the mirror, I tried to fix my hair and the bandana that wrapped around it, but the maknae line was once again goofing around and blocked my view. I watched them as they chased each other around and busted out their best imitations of girl group choreographies.

I was entertained by their weirdness and their seemingly never-ending bursts of energy until one of them got all touchy-feely with Jungkook. It was V, back-hugging the youngest and nuzzling his chin into his neck.

That's MY job, damn it!

My amused expression morphed into one of jealously and anger. Realizing this, I quickly masked it as I stood up.

I wiped the dripping sweat from my forehead and the back of my neck with a towel then tossed it into my duffel.

“Yah, Kookie-ah,” I said as I walked up to my dongsaengs.

He looked up and flashed that smile that I loved so much. It could literally light up a room.

“Yes, hyung?” he turned to me, with V still clinging to his back. In fact, he buried his face even further into the crook of his neck and tightened his hold.

I tried so hard to keep my cool. I felt the blood rushing to my head, but hopefully it wasn’t too obvious.

“Uh… Remember when you gave me a back massage the other day? Can you do it again? I’m really aching,” I lied, squeezing my shoulders like they were in pain.

“Sure thing!” he agreed happily.

He pried the 4D boy off of him and V gave a pouty face, sticking his lower lip out. I had a, hopefully, not-too-noticeable smirk of triumph as we walked away and took a seat where I had been previously resting.

Even though the real pain was in my legs, I completely forgot about that when he started working on my upper back. His hands were like magic.

My eyes rolled back and I let out a small groan of satisfaction as he worked his way up and used his thumbs to rub deep into my shoulders.

He said something, but all I heard was a mumble as I was lost in his touch.

I slightly turned my head, barely seeing his face. “Huh?” I asked, a little dazed.

“I said do you feel better, hyung?” he repeated, making eye contact.

I cleared my throat. "Oh... Yeah," I said awkwardly before turning back, trying to suppress a smirk.

I watched from the mirror as he moved on to massage my shoulder blades. I didn't want his hands to leave my body, but when our leader announced that break was over, they did.

I let out a sigh of disappointment.

How did the break go by so fast?

Jungkook stood and offered a hand. I took it and he pulled me back up on my feet.

"Thanks, Kookie-ah," I told him, trying to resist the rosy hue that was forming on my cheeks.

"Anything for my hyung!" he replied, throwing an arm around my shoulders as we walked back to the middle of the room.

“Alright, everyone,” Rapmon clasped his hands, “Positions.”

He nodded towards J-Hope to start the music, who swiftly made his way to the stereo, pressed the play button, then slipped back into place before the words began.

Suddenly the room was filled with a powerful beat as ‘Boy in Luv’ started to play.

I drew a couple deep breaths, trying to get my mind back on track and concentrate on the choreography and not the boy in front.

Focus.

But the thing is, I couldn’t. The thoughts of him clouded my mind and overpowered my ability to do so.

Even when I was able to get over thinking about Dream Jungkook and Jungkook the Masseur, I would only end up entranced by the dancing Jungkook of right now. His moves were so rhythmic and fluid. He made it all look like a piece of cake.

I was so distracted by this that every once in a while I would forget the next move and stumble or trip over my own feet. Then I would try to play it off, but it would happen all over again 10 seconds later.

I guess Rap Monster noticed this because halfway through the song, he signaled someone to cut the music.

He pulled me aside by the arm. “What are you doing? You’re never like this during practice,” he told me with a concerned tone.

“I know. I’m sorry. I guess I’m just exhausted,” I lied again, scratching the back of my head.

He sighed, patting my back and giving me a half-smile to show his understanding before turning to the others.

“Okay, guys. I think we’re done for today.”

I hung my head low upon hearing those words. I didn't mean to ruin our practice.

Immediate chatter broke out between them, some cheering that practice was over and others pouting about it as they grabbed their bags and other belongings. Then they gradually started to crowd around me as we passed through the doors and exited the dance room.

“Hey, are you okay?” one said.

“Yeah, what happened?” said another.

“Guys, guys, I’m perfectly fine. I’m just a little fatigued and a bit stressed. That’s all,” I answered them, acting as though nothing had happened.

“We understand, hyung. We’re all under a lot of stress right now, especially since we just had our comeback,” the youngest of the group chimed in, a sincere and caring tone in his voice.

The others exchanged glances and nods of agreement.

“Maybe when we get back home, instead of locking yourself in the Bangtan Room to write lyrics, you should just take a nap,” he continued.

More nods were exchanged and a ‘Yeah!’ in the background sounded.

It looked like Jungkook wanted to add something else when J-Hope cut in, put an arm over my shoulders and quickened our pace, slightly separating us from the rest of the group. “Come. You can sit by me in the van.”

I smiled uncertainly. “Um, okay. Thanks.”

Don’t get me wrong, I appreciated the thought. I just preferred it to be Jungkook, that’s all.

It wasn’t long before we were in the van, driving back to our dorm. I sat in the back row in between J-Hope and Jin. The maknaes were in the middle row and Rapmon sat in the passenger seat while our manager drove.

I rested my head on J-Hope’s shoulder. He didn’t say anything, probably assuming that it was because I was tired. However, I was actually just somewhat upset.

I hated to admit it, but I was jealous. I was forced to watch while Taehyung and Jimin continued to mess around with Jungkook. I’ve never had a problem with this before, but for some reason I couldn’t help but grit my teeth whenever they put their hands on him or got too close.

I felt like I was burning holes at the back of his head as I eyeballed him, wanting him to look back at me. But when he did, my head shot up and turned away instinctively, making it a little too obvious that I was staring.

Thinking of an excuse for my actions, my eyes darted out the window.

Seeing our dorm pulling up on our left, I pointed out towards it. “Aha! W-We’re home!”

Everyone’s heads popped up and an excited expression took over their faces.

I sighed in relief. “Finally,” I muttered under my breath.