Show And Tell

Daycare
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s been nearly a month since Irene’s first day in the daycare. Unsurprisingly, the girls are still fighting to get her attention. However, there’s always Seungwan (Teacher Wendy) to save Irene. Well more like, Irene would run to wherever Wendy was at and would hide behind her legs in an attempt to block out the noise of the girls fighting to play with her. But still, the girls got along well and the teachers would always find a way to make sure the girls would each get to play with Irene fairly.

The clock had struck 2 and the girls were done with their lunch. They quickly rushed to return their plates and utensils to the kitchen. The girls were excited for today because it’s that time of the month where the girls are allowed to bring their favourite items to the daycare (without getting scolded). Although it means that they have to memorize a script and talk about their favourite items, it didn’t bother them (at all).

Since it was Irene’s first “Show And Tell” session, the teachers and classmates allowed her to choose her turn. Being the shy girl that she is, she decided to go last. They also gave her the privilege of picking out the name of the first presenter (to ensure fairness, the teachers had a bowl with the name of the girls inside and each girl would have to pick a name from the bowl after she’s done presenting).

With her small hands, Irene picked out a piece of paper from the bowl. She handed the piece of paper to Luna who then unfolded the paper.

“Alright. Drum roll please!” The girls quickly started patting their thighs until Luna did a hand sign to tell them to stop.

“Jessica!!” Luna announced and the whole class cheered for the princess. Jessica grabbed her item and made her way to the front of the class.

“YAY PRINCESS SHIKA!!” Taeyeon yelled causing Jessica to blush. Instead of stopping Taeyeon, Victoria could only squeal in delight.

“Good afternoon teachers and fellow friends.” Jessica bowed. “The item I brought today is my sister’s milk bottle.” She showed her class a transparent baby milk bottle.

“My sister drinks from this bottle all the time because she’s a baby. Appa said I used to drink from this too but I stopped when I was 3 years old.” The princess explained to her friends who seemed pretty amazed at the milk bottle.

“Now I drink milk from a cup!” Jessica presented an adorable giraffe plastic cup that she had brought from home.

Luna heard the daycare’s phone ringing and she had to excuse herself from the presentation to answer the phone. She knew Victoria wouldn’t be bothered to answer it since one of her favourite student is presenting.

“Hello?”

“Hi! Is this Adventure Time Daycare?”

“Yes it is. Can I help you?” Luna prepared a pen and notebook just in case she has to note things down.

“Yes. Can I just ask if my daughter, Jessica Jung, has a baby milk bottle with her? It’s her sister’s and I can’t seem to find it at home.”

Remembering what Jessica had presented about for her “Show And Tell”, Luna could only let out a sigh and facepalm herself.

“Mrs Jung, I’m afraid the baby milk bottle is here with Jessica. She’s using it as a prop for her ‘Show And Tell’.” Luna explained to the mother who surprisingly doesn’t sound mad at all.

“Oh dear. Has she presented? I told her to just bring her giraffe cup to school since she loves it so much.”

“Yes she has presented already. She brought along her giraffe cup too. Would you like to come and get the bottle?” Luna heard a loud cry from the other line.

“It seems like I have to since Soojung doesn’t want to drink from the spare milk bottle I have at home. I’ll be there in 15 minutes.”

“Alright Mrs Jung. I’ll inform Jessica that you are coming.”

“Thank you so much Teacher Luna. I’ll see you. Goodbye.”

“It’s not a problem. Goodbye.” Luna hung up and motioned for Jessica to come over after she has picked out Sooyoung’s name from the bowl. Wendy who noticed this, gestured to Luna to ask if the Show And Tell session should continue in which Luna nodded her head and gave a thumbs up to let them continue.

“Jessica, did you ask your parent’s permission to bring your sister’s bottle?”

Like a deer caught in headlights, Jessica’s eyes widen and she panicked. She was sure she hid the bottle discreetly when her parents didn’t notice of it.

“Your mother called and she had asked if you had brought your sister’s bottle to the daycare. Jessica, you can’t take things like that. Your sister needs it.”

“But Soojung gets all the love.” Jessica frowned. Her tiny lips were quivering.

“Well Soojung is a baby. You’re her older sister. Big girls don’t cry.” Luna tried to explain to the young girl who looked like she was about to cry. Luna hugged her student to comfort her. “Your mom is coming soon. Make sure to say sorry to her, alright?”

Jessica merely nodded her head and Luna released her from the hug. “Now let’s see why is Sooyoung crying.”

While Luna had the short discussion with Jessica, Sooyoung had presented five bags of chips of different flavours. She had explained that they were all her favourite flavours and because she loves them all, she decided that it would be nice to share her love for the chips to the class. The young shikshin had went on and on about the chips and their tastes that Victoria had to stop her halfway and tell her to wrap it up because the girls were all now drooling.

“Sooyoung, it says here on this note from your mom that you have to share the chips with your friends. That means you have to share it with the class.” Victoria showed the shikshin the note from her mom. As soon as she was done reading it, she quickly tried to shove all the chips under her shirt.

Wendy went up to help her colleague, “Sooyoung-ah, you have to share.”

“But I don’t want to!” Sooyoung grumbled out while trying to hide the 4th bag of chips under her shirt.

The other girls could only look at Sooyoung in disbelief. How could this shikshin not share her chips? Seeing as the teachers were doing a horrible job at persuading Sooyoung, a fellow shikshin decided to offer some help. The sneaky deer Yoona grabbed the last bag of chips on the floor and ripped it open causing the girls to surround her.

Sooyoung who noticed that one of her bags of chips were missing started crying. Victoria who wasn’t sure why her student was crying could only grab her own hair and started pulling on it. Wendy however noticed that the girls were now munching on Sooyoung’s chips.

“Hey! Who said you could eat the chips?” Wendy reprimanded the girls who instantly stopped eating the chips. Irene who was scared of an angry Seungwan quickly hid behind Wendy’s legs.

Luna and Jessica came back to a crying Sooyoung, frustrated Victoria, angry Wendy and 8 hungry kids that has cheese stains on their fingers.

Luna sighed before asking, “What happened here?” which she then regretted because everyone started explaining the situation all at the same time.

Annoyed at how noisy the class was, Luna raised her hand to signal them to keep quiet but it didn’t work so she did what she had to do.

“Alright! One silent clap!” And everyone (including the teachers) clapped their hands once and placed their index finger to their lips. Finally the classroom was quiet and they could even hear the humming of the aircon. With her index finger still on , Victoria handed Luna the note Sooyoung’s mother had written. Luna read it and it all clicked together. Sooyoung didn’t want to share her chips. Typical shikshin.

Luna went to Sooyoung, crouched down to face the shikshin and wiped her tears with a tissue.

“Sooyoung-ah, what did I say about sharing?”

The shikshin looked to the floor and mumbled, “Sharing is caring.”

“I didn’t hear you. Speak up.” Luna lifted Sooyoung’s head so the student could look at her.

“Sharing is caring.”

“Good. Do you care about your friends?”

“Yes.”

“So what should you do?”

“Share with them.”

“Good girl! Alright everyone pair up!” The girls quickly paired up (TaengSic, HyoSun, YoonYul, SooFany and SeoRene) and Luna gave each pair a bag of chips. They thanked the teacher before ripping the bags open to savour the chips.

“Sooyoung, you have to pick the name of the next presenter.” Luna reminded the shikshin before she could even grab a chip. Sooyoung grumbled before standing up to grab a piece of paper from the bowl.

“Next up is Yuri!” Victoria announced and the girls cheered for their friend.

“Good afternoon teachers and fellow friends. My name is Yuri.” The young girl bowed, “The item I brought today is a picture of my dog, Hani. I got her for my birthday last year. She’s very pretty and she’s only 2 years old. Appa said in human years, she is about 24 years old so she is an adult dog. She likes to sleep on her Mickey Mouse cushion. She is the best dog in the world! Thank you!”

Everyone in the class started clapping for Yuri. As usual, they had a short Q and A session for the presenter. Since no one wanted to ask a question, Wendy decided to ask.

“So Yuri, can Hani do any tricks?”

“No.” The girl answered shortly.

“Then Hani is boring!” Hyoyeon yelled causing Yuri to be angry.

“Hyoyeon, that’s not nice.” Luna tried to stop another argument from starting.

“But it’s true!”

“Hyoyeon, that’s not nice. Apologize to Yuri now.” Victoria asked of the young girl.

“I’m sorry Yuri.” Hyoyeon apologized and Yuri smiled cheekily at her friend.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter