Chapter Two

Enigma


Joonmyeon liked his coffees the way he lived his life - sounding dazzling when really its nothing out of the ordinary. That's why his coffee order rarely strays from a creamy white one, dusted with nutmeg and cinnamon. For him its a perfect blend of festive yet year round. Him and Kyungsoo stayed in the Starbucks cafe for a good hour or so, conversing over the murder of Lee Junho. Although they were making progress, Kyungsoo felt the need to discuss the case of Hyoyeon rather than the one of her future husband. Throughout the celebration Kyungsoo pressed questions about the girl which Joonmyeon dismissed, stating that the case of Junho was their first priority and that they shouldn't get ahead of themselves.

After an hour the due decided that they had spent their time up at the cafe and returned to the station, with the intention of getting Chanyeol and his team to investigate the bodies further so they could formulate a route to follow when it came to solving them.

"How are you so calm?" Kyungsoo asked, an irritable tone evident, "Your sister was murdered and you act like this? As if nothing happened and she was at home doing the final arrangements for tomorrow?"

Joonmyeon remained silent as he focused on unlocking the office door without his hands shaking too much. He ignored Kyungsoo by humming a child's song softly to drown out the younger's voice. He didn't want to talk about Hyoyeon, it wasn't something he felt he was ready to do. He needed the news to sink in a bit more. His sister was murdered and she was going to start her life as a married woman the next day. The errand of cancelling everything and apologising for the inconvenience was higher up when it came to his priorities. 

Kyungsoo let an audible sigh of irritation escape his mouth and grabbed Joonmyeon's shoulders forcefully, turning him around, "We're talking about this Joonmyeon."

The older pulled a shoulder away and opened the door, "No we're not."

Joonmyeon walked into the office and slumped into a chair, a hand resting on his forehead as his eyebrows furrowed in frustration. Kyungsoo closed the door behind him and sighed, staying by the door rather than going towards the older, "Why not?"

Joonmyeon turned and Kyungsoo saw the quivering bottom lip. Joonmyeon opened his mouth and sighed shakily, "I-"

His voice cracked and he gulped down some tears, "I'm too professional to show how I feel at work Soo. I have a reputation - I'm not going to ruin it. I'll mourn when I get home."

Kyungsoo blinked and began to talk before Jongdae rushed into the room, "You forgot your coffees."

The duo watched as Jongdae placed two cups of coffee on th table, "I heard that you two went and got your own but it was too late for me to take them back."

Joonmyeon coughed and smiled apologetically, "Sorry about that Jongdae. It slipped our minds - we have a lot going on right now."

Jongdae nodded, "Minseok said your sister was murdered, I'm sorry for your loss."

"Thanks - it means a lot. Although I just found out myself, its nice to have some thoughts sent my way."

Jongdae nodded, eyes showing that he understood, "It is."

Kyungsoo cleared his throat to save the trio for an awkward silence, "Jongdae? Could you go and inform Chanyeol and his team to get ready to investigate Junho and Hyoyeon's bodies? Thanks."

Jongdae bowed, "Sure thing Kyungsoo-ah."

As Jongdae left the room Joonmyeon turned to Kyungsoo, "I don't trust him."

Kyungsoo flashed him a quizzical look, "He's a good intern."

"I just don't trust him," Joonmyeon snapped, his temper and emotions getting the better of him, "Being a good intern doesn't mean anything."

Despite having seen this tempermental side before Kyungsoo still winced at the tone, "Why?"

Joonmyeon sighed and ran a hand through his hair in an attempt to calm down, "He has lips like the killer."

Kyungsoo blinked a few times, "And? He's not the only one Joo. I know you just lost your sister but accusing people, harmless people, won't bring her back."

Joonmyeon grumbled something before coughing, "Go hime and get some rest Soo."

"What? I'm not ti-"

"Go an get some rest."

Kyungsoor ealised that Joonmyeon wanted some time alone and grabbed his folder from the table, "See you later?"

"See you," Joonmyeon watched as Kyungsoo walked out the door, "Oh, Soo?"

Kyungsoo popped his head around the door frame, "Yeah?"

"When you go could you get Chanyeol to send Jongdae back here?"

"Sure."

~

A few minutes passed with Joonmyeon pacing around the office. The murderer of six needed a strong motive, or was crazy and meant they were a major threat to the public's safety and well being. Although Kyungsoo had denied that Jongdae had links to the killer, Joonmyeon intended to question the boy to make sure.

"Hyung? You called for me?" Jongdae perked, edging into the room.

Joonmyeon smiled warmly, "Ah, I did. Sit down, please."

Jongdae nodded and pulled a seat out from under the table, "Why'd you call for me?"

"Me and Kyungsoo are impressed with your work, keep it up."

"Thanks. Did you call me to praise me?"

"No," Joonmyeon said, eyebrows furrowed with a mixture of curiousity and frustration, "Did you know my sister?"

Jongdae shook his head lightly, "The only thing we had in common was knowing you."

"Oh."

Joonmyeon and Jongdae sat in silence for a few minutes until the older coughed, "Do you wanna come back to my place?"

Jongdae raised an eyebrow, "Hm? I would've thought that a respectable officer like yourself wouldn't invite the intern home. Seems a bit out of character."

Joonmyeon shrugged and smirked, "Officer Kim Joonmyeon wouldn't; Kim Joonmyeon would."

Jongdae sat there and contemplated his choices for a few prolonged moments before nodding, "Sure, it wouldn't hurt I guess. Let me just go get my stuff from Minseok's office."