Chapter Four

Enigma


It'd been a month since Hyoyeon died. A month since new leads had been opened up. More importantly it'd been a month since Joonmyeon and Jongdae became close. Work had contributed to the development to their relationship but the visits to Joonmyeon's house that became more frequent also played a major factor. The two had gone from strict work partners who met up for the occasional drink, to best friends who confided a lot in each other. Although neither would admit it, each seemed to be harbouring small feelings for each other. 

Work was harder for Joonmyeon - the small pressure to prove to himself that he could solve Hyoyeon's murder ruled his life to some extent. Every waking second was spent thinking of abstract ways in which her murderer would say why they did it. Another thing he often wondered about was if the unravel of her murder would lead to the other murders, seeing as the same person was a recurring theme. On a grey clouded day, Joonmyeon was overlooking the pictures and any other notes related to each murder for the third time that day. The link was obvious, however he was sure that there was something else to do with them all. He was so engrossed in it that he didn't hear Kyungsoo walk up behind him, "Looking at it again Joonmyeon?"

Joonmyeon nodded, a small sigh escaping yet his eyes never stopping their search, "There has to be another link Kyungsoo. To see this man is good, but it's not enough. As you said before, we can't just prosecute everyone with similar lips or a similar posture, can we?"

Kyungsoo internally chuckled - he always found Joonmyeon's seriousness amusing, "We can't, as I said before."

The awkward silence caused by Kyungsoo's attempt of a joke settled in and the two couldn't bring themsevles to break it. The only sound was the turning of the pages of the master file Joonmyeon had created and the small coughs that Kyungsoo did in weak hopes of Joonmyeon talking to him again. 

After a few minutes of the silence Joonmyeon growled and pushed the file away slightly, falling back into his chair and slumping slightly, "Ugh, Kyungsoo I can't find anything else," He stopped for a second and his head turned quickly to his partner, "Did Chanyeol's team find anything?"

Kyungsoo shook his head, "They didn't sadly. But Chanyeol said that Seohyun talked around to the relatives of the victims and she found out that days before their deaths each had a major argument with a male friend."

Joonmyeon noted the new potential lead down and he smiled slightly, "We could go through the victims' home and mobile's call logs and see if there's something from there - maybe a name or an address."

Kyungsoo smiled at Joonmyeon's quick thinking - something he'd only wish to have, "Good thinking. I'll get Chanyeol's team to do it. I know it's not their thing but hey, they gave us the lead and I'll just supervise."

Joonmyeon dipped his head slightly as he returned to his files, quickly scribbling notes about possible arguments on each of the victims' pages. He heard the click of the door and stood up and went to the window, fishing out a packet of cigarettes from his jacket pocket, lighting it absent mindedly. Near the end of highschool he had become a bit too rebellious and took up smoking as a way to relieve stress. Since then he had managed to limit it to major cases that required a lot of thinking only. Taking long drags from it, he looked outside the window, seeing the view of Seoul that his office had to offer, blowing the smoke away without a care. Following up another few puffs he heard the door click and whilst his sight was still fixated onto a nearby busy road he sighed, "Back already Kyungsoo? Might need to give you a pay-rise for efficiency, eh?"

He heard the familiar chuckle and he turned to see a smirking Jongdae at the door, a coffee in one hand and a small pile of newspapers in the other, "I'm not Kyungsoo but who could decline a pay-rise? How much were you thinking?"

Joonmyeon laughed as he took one more drag and threw it from his window, aiming for a puddle that'd collecting directly beneath it, "Hm, I was thinking, er, nothing but giving me that coffee."

Jongdae raised an eyebrow as he took a seat in front of the desk of the room, "Oh, and why would I do that?"

Joonmyeon took his seat and he grinned, "Kissing up to the boss is one way to go around wanting a pay-rise."

Jongdae shook his head, "I'll pass."

The two exchanged a few seconds of laughter before Jongdae placed the newspapers on the desk, "I went around and got newspapers from the day or the day after the murders of the victims. I was unsure if you had them so I thought I'd just make sure."

Joonmyeon eyed the papers and made no effort to move them out of the day, "Thanks, I'd been meaning to look around for media."

Jongdae took a sip of his drink and nodded, the mumbling sound of approval sounding through the cup.

"Did you know that each of the victims had an argument with a male before their deaths?"

Jongdae removed the cup from his mouth, "They did?"

Joonmyeon nodded, "Apparently so, or at least that's what Seohyun found out."

"Oh."

Another awkward silence lingered before Joonmyeon coughed, "Do you wanna go get a drink? I kinda need some time away from here to clear my head."

Jongdae stood up and nodded slowly, "Sure, I've got no other work to do, so why not?"

The pair gathered their bags and shoved random items that they'd need for their small outing and before long they were able to walk out of the office and to the main lobby. Strangely, the lobby was quiter than usual which Joonmyeon pinned down to the fact that a lot of the interns still went to places of education and as such they had to attend their classes. The only people, other than them, were Chanyeol's team who seemed to be fussing around Sehun who sat in the middle of them, muttering something about stealing.

Joonmyeon approached the group with a concerned look on his face, Jongdae trailing behind him, "Sehun-ah, what's wrong?"

Sehun looked up and shrugged, "Hyung, I had a lot of money in my coat pocket, but, now it's gone."

Joonmyeon raised an eyebrow, "Gone?"

"Gone."

Chanyeol shrugged, turning to Joonmyeon, "We were together all day, if anyone was to steal it, we all would've seen who it was."

Sehun nodded before pointing a finger at Jongdae, "You did it, didn't you?"

Jongdae looked confused and shook his head, "I didn't!"

Sehun got up and began to walk slowly towards the older male, finger still pointed, "You did! It's obvious."

Baekhyun and Jessica grabbed Sehun's arms and tried to pull him back, speaking in unison, "He's been with Kyungsoo or Joonmyeon all day Sehun-ah, why would he have done it?!"

Before allowing it to escalate further, Joonmyeon apologised and quickly rushed out of the lobby, dragging Jongdae behind him. As their quick paced slowed, Joonmyeon turned to Jongdae, "What was that about?"

Jongdae shrugged, "As if I'd know. That kid has something against me, I swear."

Joonmyeon laughed and shook his head, "Sehun's weird to get close to; he hates a lot of people so don't take it personally."

Jongdae smiled and raised an eyebrow, "Yeah?"

"Yeah. The last person he pissed off was his ex, Luhan. The two were fiercely in love and then one day Luhan apparently cheated on him when really he cheated. Did I mention Sehun's a liar and maipulative?"

Jongdae laughed, "No, you didn't."

"Oh, well, he is but I guess that helps in his job, so nobody questions it."

Jongdae made mental notes - having good relations with his co-workers was important to him.

~

The night was cold and a bitter wind blasted through at times in which Sehun would shiver and try and push it away. He'd seen worse days and worse nights. He walked home with a brisk pace, needing to get back quickly before Baekhyun did. Although the two were flatmates Baekhyun always took the car since he left before the younger. This gave Sehun enough time to trash the flat as much as he could. However this did have it's limitations, one being going home early and trying to get back before Baekhyun so he could clean up.

Nearing the end of his walk down a road with trees towering above it - which he found creepy - he heard someone walking behind him. Usually he'd take no notice but today he was paranoid. Someone had stolen his money and now he found himself suspecting anyone who seemed suspicious. Naturally, he quickened his pace, not daring to look behind him. 

"Don't run, you're gonna make it boring," A voice behind him said, a hint of sadness in it. 

Sehun turned around and saw a man dressed in dark clothes with a cap concealing his face. A smirk was the only thing visible of it's face. Sehun blinked as he continued to walk backwards, "What do you mean, 'make it boring'?"

A laugh familiar to Sehun came from the smirk, "I love it when they're clueless.You know, last time I had a girl, sweet thing, about to be married if I remember correctly. She made it boring too..."

Sehun gasped, "Y-You?! You're the one who's killed so many people?!"

There was another laugh, "You're familiar with my work?"

Sehun growled, "Familiar? I'm working on your case! But now you're here, I can bring you down and show everyone how good I am!"

The man walked fowards, laughing still, "I wouldn't be too sure."

Sehun cocked his head, "What do you mean?"

He then felt himself hit his back against a wall, and only then did it occur to him what the man was there to do. With a much swifter walk the man had his hands around Sehun's tie and the taller could smell the faint aroma of blood.

"I mean that you're not gonna leave this road, heck, they'll find you tomorrow but it'll be too late."

As the man spoke Sehun felt his tie get tighter and tighter, gasping for air seemed useless but he did it anyway. After a few moments Sehun felt the grip of his tie loosen, his own hands going around his neck to protect himself as he tried to get enough air in. A sharp pain was felt in his stomach and he fell to the floor, hitting his head on the wall, feeling the blood around him as he led there.

He looked at the smirk which opened and chuckled, "You know, you're all the same. Kyuhyun, Miyoung or Tiffany, Kibum, Yuri, Junho and Hyoyeon. All the same. Especially the ones after Tiffany when my work got noticed. All adamant that you're going to get me caught. Well, I'll tell you something, you won't. You in particular, Oh Sehun, are either going to die from your head wound or I could end it all now. This is what you get for wronging me."

Sehun gasped, "I know who you are! You'r-"

The sound of a shot rang out through the road, birds scattering everywhere which silenced the frantic talking of Oh Sehun. The man smirked maliciously as he looked down at the young man's face, barely recognisable from the gun shot through the nose, "Another one to add to the list." 

He reached in and grabbed the first thing he felt - Sehun's watch. He smirked again and placed it in his bag, taking off his cap and jumper and placing them too in the bag. He ruffled his hair and smiled sweetly, nobody would suspect a thing.