Chapter Five

Enigma


News of Sehun's murder travelled around the station like wild fire - by noon there wasn't a single person who didn't know. Chanyeol and his team remained quiet for the majority of the day, fearing that they would be next. Chanyeol's girlfriend, Sooyoung, and her forensics team took over and worked on the scene of Sehun's death. It'd seem that the news had silenced all other topics as besides the loss, nobody at the station had anything else to say. Everyone also emitted tense feelings due to the fact that if someone so much as displayed a threatening action or spoke cold words, they risked being accused of being the killer. 

Joonmyeon was running late - the night before had revolved around a nightmare around the cat-lipped killer and how he was still out there and active. Specifically how he always lurked days, hours even minutes before his next victim is eradicated. Of course, the phoncall from Kyungsoo to notify him of the nature of Sehun's death didn't help put his mind at rest. He shook his head as he strolled up to the receptionist's desk with a brisk pace, running his hand through his hair as if it was a way to make him invisible or at least less obvious that he was running late. Yoona smiled at him sheepishly and chuckled slightly as the detective signed in, "You're late Joonmyeon - you missed the fiasco this morning."

Joonmyeon raised an eyebrow as he set the pen down after messily writing his name, "Oh yeah? Care to fill me in?"

The answer must've been a sensitive topic - or at least one to be kept silent to those who didn't know - as Yoona looked both ways and leant close to Joonmyeon, "People've figured that the killer has to work here...has to be one of us."

Joonmyeon's eyes widened and his eyebrows knitted together, his grip tightening slightly on his messanger bag, "How'd they work that out?" There was a hint of disbelief in his voice; it hadn't been the first time people had tried to reason deaths of staff members and he believed that this rumour, like the others, would prove to be false. The last one involved an accusation that both forensics teams and Kyungsoo had began a crime syndicate.

"Baekhyun said that Sehun never really spoke to anyone outside of this place - and a lot of people here hold, or held should I say, grudges against him...Kyungsoo thinks it was the same guy who killed your sister and the other victims of your case."

Hearing that it was Baekhyun who added some valuable reasoning behind the rumours made Joonmyeon more alert - however argumentative and sassy Baekhyun was, he was among the best when it came to logically working things out. He was challenged only by Luhan on Sooyoung's team. Then again, Sooyoung's team comprised of herself, Luhan, Kim Taeyeon, Jang Wooyoung and Hwang Minhyun often outclassed Chanyeol's team. 

Sensing Joonmyeon's doubt if Luhan agreed, she nodded, "If you're wondering, Luhan also confirmed this."

Joonmyeon took a mental note and tapped the desk surface, "Does Kyungsoo have any leads, if you know?"

Yoona shook her head. She tended not to get involved with the investigations unless she had to, "Not that I know of," She gazed to her computer screen, eyes glimmering slightly, "Although an email has just come through - it's titled 'Oh Sehun'...I'll forward it to you if you want?"

"If you could Yoona, that'd be great, thank you."

After exchanging goodbye's with Yoona, Joonmyeon recreated his brisk stroll to his office. He could feel his phone vibrate in his coat pocket as Yoona must've fowarded the email. He'd check it there and then but he decided Kyungsoo would also like to see the new piece of potential evidence. As he passed those in the cells he could feel the different emotions clearly: guilt, sadness, fear and revenge. Ironically enough, Joonmyeon falt all of those things when he thought of Hyoyeon and her fate. The walk to his office felt longer than usual - probably because Jongdae wasn't walking with him. It had become a tradition that Jongdae would walk with Joonmyeon to his office from the main entrance before going off and preparing files and other intern tasks. The gesture of friendship comforted the older and for small moments at a time the emotion of sadness would vanish. It was the missing prescence of the younger that made Joonmyeon suspect that something was wrong.

As his hand ghosted over the dark platinum door knob Joonmyeon could hear Kyungsoo pace around the room and muttring things to himself. Joonmyeon couldn't help but smile at the mannerisms of his partner, Upon entering the room, Joonmyeon found paper messily strewn across the room and Kyungsoo's neat appearence gone. The usually perfect tucked shirt was creased and tucked in loosely, Kyungsoo's styled hair had no real style due to the large amount of contact with a stressed hand and no signature tie could be seen. Hearing the door open, Kyungsoo turned to the entrance of the room, "What took you so long?"

Joonmyeon hung his bag on the worn out peg and walked to the desk, inspecting some of the papers on it, "I overslept because of a nightmare."

"Child's excuse," Kyungsoo spat, irritation getting the better of him.

Joonmyeon raised his hands as if to tell Kyungsoo to back off, or that he wasn't up for arguing, "It's true."

Kyungsoo sighed and waved a hand dissmissively, "Whatever. This murder is a big deal Joonmyeon, a big deal. Because almost all of our leads have gone dry...we need to do something - I don't care what, but something has to be done. I'm not letting another murder happen...I can't let another murder happen, there's been too many."

Joonmyeon nodded in agreement as he fished his phone from his pocket, opening the email Yoona had sent, "Yoona got this email and sent it to me, it apparently had something to do with Sehun's case."

Both males stared at the lit screen, reading the message on it;

MR OH SEHUN HAD CROSSED THE KILLER RECENTLY.

KILLER WORKS ON THE MURDER CASE.

"What the ?" Kyungsoo said, a hint of aghast in his voice, "It's one of us? Someone we work with?"

Joonmyeon stared blankly at the screen before snapping into a mode of power, "Round up both Chanyeol and Sooyoung's teams, make sure they're all there - I'll go find Jongdae."

Anything going on was dropped for the meeting. Everyone called to it and even those who weren't could feel the urgentness of it and how important it must be. 

~

Jongdae arrived to the meeting late, exactly when Kyungsoo was explaining that they'd all be under close observation. Naturally, the entire room's stares shifted from Kyungsoo to Jongdae. The latter sat down at the back of room, his eyes fixed on Kyungsoo in hopes that the talk would resume. As well as coming in at the wrong time, Jongdae also seemed to appear when the talk was finishing up as Kyungsoo closed it, "That's all and remember, there is a chance you'll be isolated for questions," Kyungsoo paused for a second and glanced at Jongdae, "Oh Jongdae? Joonmyeon wants a word, meet him in our office."

~

"I'm not going to sugarcoat it," Joonmyeon said as he heard Jongdae enter the room, "A lot of people think you might've killed Sehun."

Jongdae's eyes widened and he took a step back in shock, "Me? What possible motive could I have for killing Sehun? We usually get along alright, it's only yesterday that it was edgy."

Joonmyeon sighed as he got up and walked to the younger, "Well, it was that incident that have caused people to suspect you."

"So what you're saying is you're going to question me?"

Joonmyeon fell quiet by the abruptness of Jongdae - usually he would avoid the direct consequences for as long as he could, trying to joke his way out of it. However this time he seemed to embrace it and accept it.

Jongdae studied Joonmyeon's face and sighed a lengthened sigh, "I'll take that as a yes."

There was an awkward silence in the office before Jongdae spoke up once more, "Could I go home and get some rest? I'm really tired; I've been up all night."

"Sure, I'll pick you up when you're needed."

Joonmyeon only watched as Jongdae hurried out of the room. His mind began to work in overdrive. Jongdae was up all night? Surely that wouldn't be good. 


Here's another update for you all c:

Undoubtedly this is my favourite fic of mine so it does get more love than the others ;-; 

Please find the time to Comment/Subscribe and Upvote c:

Until the next update~