Seven

A Piece of Eternity

 

The phone buzz.

 

Seo Hyun immediately opens the message. It is from Yumi, reminding her to bring her P. E. uniform tomorrow. She gulps down before typing a reply message. It’s not that she’s dislike getting a message from her because she actually likes it…..It’s just that she’s hoping for another person to message her.

 

Ji Ah and Yumi are really nice girls and Seo Hyun likes hanging out with them. She thinks that their stories are engaging and their jokes are truly funny. She also enjoys going around with them….everything is new to her. Finally she’s having fun with friends.

 

Seo Hyun goes near the window and opens it. The cool evening air touches her face. She stares at the veranda next door. No one’s there. It’s been almost three days since she started having friends but sadly, her ‘neighbor’ stop talking to her too. She no longer sees him on the way home nor meets him outside to go to school. At school, whenever their eyes meet, Yonghwa gives her a slight smile so somehow she’s sure that he’s not mad at her. But he just doesn’t approach her or talk to her anymore.

 

She stares down at the phone in her hand. He never sent her any message after that day and she couldn’t help but wonder why.Seo Hyun closes her eyes.

 

            “This is where my part ends.” She remembers him saying that.

Was it only a help he gave a ‘neighbor’ like her? Does it mean that they aren’t even friends?

            But men and women can’t be friends her mind tells her.

She closes the window and goes to bed.

 

__________________________________________________________________

 

Seo Hyun changes into her tracksuit and pants. They have a P. E activity today, one thing she had always disliked during her student days.

 

            “You look really cute in this tracksuit Hyunie!” Yumi complements.

            “You literally look good in everything. Why can’t I be like that?” Ji Ah says with a pout.

            “Tie your hair up. Here, I’ll lend you mine.” Yumi hands over a hair tie to Seo Hyun.

She ties her hair in a ponytail and they go to the school ground.

Yonghwa is standing on a distance with some of the boys. He doesn’t seem to notice her because he’s busy talking with them. Seo Hyun secretly sighs.

           

            “Everyone, count off.” The P. E teacher, Kim Jong Kook orders.

 

The students started counting and the teacher told them that those who got odd numbers will be a team and same with those who got even numbers.

 

            “Hyunie, we’re in the same team!” Yumi says clasping her hands with her. “Poor Ji Ah…she has to be in the odd team.”

Yonghwa stands on the even team side which means that they will be teammates. The teacher stands in the middle while holding a ball in his hand.

 

            “Okay, we’ll play dodge ball.” He declares.

Seo Hyun breathes in. Ball game is the least she’d choose for a game.

            “Last two members for each team willbe the king/queen and the protector. The protector can take infinite hit without getting out as long as the king/queen won’t be touched by the ball. Clear?”

The students yell in excitement.

 

            “Look at her.” Yumi points to Ji Ah on the other side. The latter is making a face so Yumi sticks out her tongue to back. Seo Hyun giggles a bit because of it.

Mr. Kim blows the whistle to start the game. A boy from their group was able to get the ball in the middle so their team got the first chance for offence. Seo Hyun stays in the middle of the group with Yumi while Yonghwa is on the side helping the others to throw the ball towards the opponent. They quickly ousted half of kids from the other team before the ball has been taken from them.

Their team prepares for a defense.

            “Here comes the ball!” one of her teammates says.

The ball goes flying towards their side and the kids flock away to avoid it. Seo Hyun and Yumi holds tightly to one another. Seo Hyun feels nervous whenever she sees the ball flying to them but at the same time, a sense of thrill spreads across her entire body. She keeps her eyes on the ball and moves her body to avoid it. They are on a middle of a squabble when Yumi let go of her hand and runs to another direction.

            “Yumi ah!”Seo Hyun calls but Yumi is hit by the ball making her out.

The game goes on for another five minutes and Ji Ah has been ousted too. Seo Hyun no longer knows which is which. She just runs when the opponent attacks and tries to throw the ball when she has the chance. She had never felt this rush before. Four more members left on the opponent when one from their team got hit. The last thing she knows, it is only Yonghwa and her inside the game court.

She hears her teammates cheer for them as the last two members of the team. Seo Hyun suddenly gets confused. Yonghwa runs to her.

            “Stay behind me.” He says.

With this, Yonghwa became the protector and Seo Hyun as the queen.

            “Hyunie! Hold on to Yonghwa sshi’s clothes!” Yumi yells out.

Seo Hyun holds lightly to Yonghwa’s tops as she hides behind him. Yonghwa looks at the ball which is being passed back and forth by the opponents inside and outside the court.He tries his best to cover her up from their attacks. He receives hits one after another. When he finally obtains the ball, the two of them attack with the help of their teammates outside.They are able to oust two more members of the other team leading down to their final two which are both boys.

Yonghwa grabs her arm right after the ball goes to the enemy’s hand. He wraps her arms around his waist and puts one of his arms on top of hers to cover it from being hit.

            “Hold tightly.” He says.

Seo Hyun looks at him. Yonghwa is concentrating on the game. Suddenly, her heart pounds hard inside her chest. Her mind is no longer in the game but on what she’s feeling now. It’s like there are no other people around but the two of them.

            Thump…thump…thump…thump….thump…she could hear her own heartbeat. 

The students cheer loudly while watching Yonghwa and Seo Hyun. They seem to be like the princess and her knight in their classmates’ eyes.

When he moves, she moves—that’s what they do. Yonghwa has good reflexes and quick-footed too making it difficult for the opponent to target Seo Hyun.

            “They’re going for the feet so when I say jump, you jump okay?” Yonghwa tells her. Seo Hyun just nods, still feeling overwhelmed by the strange sensation she’s feeling.

            “Jump!” he says and she follows making the ball miss her.

One more hit and Yonghwa manages to catch the ball and in a very quick throw, he hits the opponent’s King who was caught unguarded.

Jong Kook’s whistle ends the first round and their team yells in happiness.

            “Hyunie!”Yumi approaches her.

Seo Hyun realizes that Yonghwa already moved away from her.

           

            “That is so cool, man!” one boy says as he does a high-five with Yonghwa.

            “Yonghwa sshi is really dependable.” Yumi says to her.

 

Seo Hyun approaches the teacher and excuses herself.

 

            “Where are you going? The second round is about to start.” Yumi asks.

            “I will go to the cafeteria to get a drink. I also think that I can’t play for a second round…I used most of my energy running around.” She says.

            “You want me to come with you?”

She shakes her head saying that she can go alone.Seo Hyun walks to the cafeteria thinking about what just happened. It was only a game but why did her heart accelerated like that? She’s certain that it’s not because she ran a lot. It is different. Her heart beats hard yet she feels comfortable being that close to him. What is happening?

Yonghwa talked to him but it was only for the game. He protected her only because it was a game and he moves away quickly once it’s over. Now it’s clear that he’s avoiding her.

Seo Hyun bought a bottled drink and walks slowly. She takes out the phone from the pocket of her tracksuit jacket.

            “Should I send him a message?” she asks herself.

She passes by the outdoor sink and sees Yonghwa there. He’s washing his face. She also sees him leave out a deep sigh.

 

            “Y-Yonghwa…” she calls his name.

Yonghwa was surprised to find her there but managed not to let it show.

            “Hm?” he once again flashes that half smile that he often give her these past three days.

Seo Hyun takes a few steps towards him but couldn’t find the right word to say when she’s already in front of him.Yonghwa gives her the blank stares.

 

            “Are you perhaps angry at me?” the words hardly escape her lips.

            “Angry? Why would I be angry at you?” he returns the question.

            “I don’t know…I’m thinking maybe I did something to upset you….” She finally let out the thing that bothers her.

Yonghwa chuckles making her brows furrow.

            “Of course you didn’t do anything to upset me. Why would you think that way?”

            “But..”

            “How’s Ji Ah and Yumi as friends?” he asks.

            “Uh..They are nice. They actually treat me well.” She replies.

            “That’s nice to hear. I have no doubt that you’d have fun together.” He says and starts to take a few steps.

            “But..” she utters stopping him.

Yonghwa turns to her again.

            “After class, can we go home together?” she’s anxious to say this kind of thing but in the end, decided to voice out.

            “Uh, I can’t. Ji Soo already asked me to accompany him somewhere so….” He says.

            “Ah….” Seo Hyun utters.

            “Look Seo Hyun, you got Ji Ah and Yumi…there’s no need for us to hang out together.” Yonghwa states in a clear tone. “I decided to help you because I thought you need it. Please don’t misunderstand.” He says.

Seo Hyun silently gasps. Yonghwa moves again.

            “Then, we’re not even….friends?” she asks in a low voice.

He stops but didn’t look back.

            “No, we’re not.” He answers.

His cold words pierce through her. Seo Hyun feels sad and disappointed that tears starts to build up in her eyes.

 

            “Here.” she says with the phone on her hand. “There’s no reason for me to keep it. Please take it back.” She’s only looking at the phone, concealing her eyes from his sight.

Yonghwa quietly receives the phone. Seo Hyun walks away. When she got away from his view, Seo Hyun’s tears are already rolling down her face.

 

            “What a cruel punk….” She whispers and cries on her palms.

 

__________________________________________________________________

   

  

         “You should have seen how Ji Ah as protector….she’s so lame!” Yumi tells her in a teasing tone.

            “It was not my fault if that sissy Tae Suk refused to be the protector but the king instead! I got hit a lot of times protecting that idiot!” Ji Ah complains.

            “Where did you go anyway? Why didn’t you return earlier?” Yumi asks Seo Hyun.

            “Uh…I wasn’t feeling well so I went to the clinic.” She lies.

            “Are you sick?” Ji Ah worriedly asks.

            “Don’t worry, I’m fine now. I think my body just got shock from all that running since I’m not really used to it.” She assures them.

 

__________________________________________________________________

 

Mr. Jin enters the room and the students greet. Lately, each class is busy preparing for the coming school festival. He stands in front of the class and ask about how things are going on with their class cafe. Everything is set so they are just working on some little details.

 

            “I heard that the class 3 will do a haunted house.” He says.

            “That will be a sure hit!” one of the boys says.

            “What should we do to attract more guests?” the class president asks.

            “How about a show?” a girl suggests.

Everyone listens to that girl’s suggestion.

            “Aside from the foods and drinks that we offer, why don’t we put a small stage in the middle and have a show that the customers could enjoy?”

            “What kind of show is in your mind Ha Rim?” Mr. Jin asks her.

            “Hmm…I’m thinking of an acoustic performance.”

The students gasp because they like the idea.

            “It might cost us more than the budget. It’s expensive to hire performers, ya’ know?” the class president comments.

            “We will not hire anyone. It should be one of us.”

The students look at each other.

            “Great! I know someone who can play the guitar!” Ji Ah says.

            “Who?”

Ji Ah points to Yonghwa.

            “Me?” Yonghwa says with his index finger pointing to himself.

Ji Ah nods.

            “Yes. Jung Yonghwa could play the guitar well. I heard him play once in the music room. Didn’t you hear it too?” Ji Ah turns to some of their classmates.

            “But I’m already tasked to be a waiter.” He says.

            “Don’t worry about it, we have enough staffs.” Class president says.

            “O-okay….” Yonghwa says.

            “How about Seo Hyun?” Mr. Ji turns to Seo Hyun who’s silent in her seat.

            “Y-yes?” she stutters.

            “What task are you assigned with?” Mr. Ji asks. He wants to know if the new student is adjusting well to the activities. Seo Hyun just joined the class while the festival was planned a month ago.

            “Actually there’s nothing much to do since everything was taken care of before her arrival so I asked her to give fliers and invite guests.” Class president says.

            “Hmm…” Mr. Ji places his fingers under his chin and thinks.

            “Can you sing Seo Hyun?” he asks her.

            “H-huh?”Seo Hyun is taken aback.

            “Yes, she can!” They look at Yumi who speaks confidently.

            “Y-yumi….” Seo Hyun utters.

Yumi turns to her.

            “Every person can sing.” She says to her.

Seo Hyun looks at Mr. Ji.

            “No, Mr. Ji! I can’t sing!” she says waving her hand.

            “I think it’s a good opportunity to show your classmates something about you.” He answers.

Seo Hyun shakes her head.

            “Don’t worry. Yonghwa sshi is there to guide you.” Ji Ah assures her.

            “What?” she gulps.

            “Jung Yonghwa, you and Seo Hyun will be partners. The two of you are in charge of the acoustic performance for the café, alright?” Mr. Ji says.

            “Uh…” Yonghwa blinks his eyes and just nod.

            “The festival is this Friday. Make good use of these days to practice together.” Mr. Ji adds.

Seo Hyun bit her lower lips.

 

__________________________________________________________________

 

[Author's Note]

 

I want to thank all the readers who leaves comments regularly. I truly appreciate that.