Seventeen

A Piece of Eternity

 

 

The sun is almost up. Seo Hyun turns to Yonghwa.

 

            “Yong….”

 

His head tilts down a bit. His eyes are close while his breathing is calm and steady. Seo Hyun smiles. He’s still sleepy yet he accompanies her to watch the sunrise. She let her eyes wonder around his face. Her parents introduced her to many bachelors during her time…most of them are from well-respected families and has great physiques but she never find them interesting. Yonghwa is far more interesting to any of those men. His face isn’t feminine but not ‘rock hard masculine’ either. She thinks that he’s good looking that way. He’s not fond of wearing signatures too. He settles for casual and clean look. Seo Hyun likes his simplicity.

 

Yesterday she bid goodbye to her first love, Kim Taehun. She apologized to him for finding the truth late and for hating him. She also told him that she found love again after him. At first, there’s the feeling of guilt….guilt of falling for another man though she never wanted things to happen this way.The two of them came to her life in different times….and she gives her heart to them sincerely.

 

Taehun was a person with free spirit. He came to her life when she’s feeling suffocated and freedomless. Because of him, she finally expressed the wishes she kept in the farthest corner of her heart…she found her own voice. For the first time, she tried to speak up and stand for what she wants.  Although it was short-lived and tragic, she’s thankful.

On the other hand, Yonghwa is a person of will. He taught her to follow her heart…her will. He’s her beacon….he’s that force that encourages and gives her the confidence to believe herself. Seo Hyun is no longer afraid because she knows that he’s there….he’ll hold her hand and walk with her through that uncertain road. Yonghwa came to her life like a late Christmas present. Though it’s a present that she wants to keep because it’s too good….the time to let it go is also approaching.

Taehun is like a promise of bright undertaking….Have the desire to get to the other side and see it with her own eyes, that’s how he made her feel….and maybe that’s the thing about him that attracted her and drawn her into him. While Yonghwa for her is like the spring, the symbol of new start and new hope. With him, Seo Hyun learned to accept her past and face what’s ahead…Enjoy every piece of that moment.

Taehun is the one who introduced her to the possibilities of the world while Yonghwa is the one who accompanies her to that journey.Her love for both men is different. She loved Taehun in the past, he’s her first love. She loves Yonghwa now and he’s her true love. Now, everything that Taehun left on her is memories. There’s no more of that old feeling for him…her heart and mind both belonged to Yonghwa and she confirmed it after she revisited her and Taehun’s past yesterday….Their love is long over and she realized that loving Yonghwa is something that she should not be guilty about towards Taehun.

 

Yonghwa wakes up.

            “I fell asleep…sorry.” He says.

Seo Hyun shakes her head.

            “You’re  just in time.”

They watch the tangerine sky as the sun rise up in the sky. The view from that hill is breath taking. They drink coffee while sharing the blanket. Seo Hyun is very happy….

 

_________________________________________________________________

 

 

            “Yey!”

Ji Ah snaps some photos of their newly painted toenails. Once the salon staff assures them that the nail polishes are now dry, Seo Hyun asks for the bill and pays.

            “Are you sure you got enough there?” Yumi asks her. She worries that Seo Hyun is spending a lot from her allowance.

            “Don’t worry. I told you that everything today is on me, right?” Seo Hyun tells her with a smile.

 

After getting their nails done, the trio enters different boutiques to window shop. There’s one who let them try on the clothes even if they don’t have the intention to buy. Ji Ah chose the clothes for Yumi to try on. Yumi styles Seo Hyun while she styles Ji Ah. They laugh and smile as they play dress up.

 

They get to browse new releases at the record stores and listen to the some of it.

 

As they go around, the girls pass by a pet shop so they enter and let themselves be charmed by the adorable puppies and kittens. Seo Hyun likes a particular white puppy which she holds while Ji Ah take their photo.

 

For snacks, they decided to eat pizza. While they’re eating, Seo Hyun brings out her wrapped gifts for them.

 

            “This is for you, Yumi…while this one is for Ji Ah.” She says.

Their eyes are wide with surprise.

            “Gifts? What for?” Ji Ah asks.

Seo Hyun shook her head and smile.

            “Nothing….I just want to give you something.” She says.

She watches them as they unwrap the presents. Ji Ah puts on the cellphone case on her phone immediately while Yumi smiles widely as she flips the blank pages of her new journal. Seo Hyun’s glad that they like them.

 

_________________________________________________________________

 

 

            “Why is time so quick when things are so fun but is very slow when we’re at school? Time is realllyyy unfair!” Ji Ah mutters as they walk home.

Seo Hyun hides a smile with her statement. She can’t wait to tell Yeong Won what Ji Ah just said.

            “Again, thank you so much for everything today Hyunie….I really love the journal you gave me.” Yumi tells her.

            “Me too!” Ji Ah adds while waving her phone.

            “Don’t mention it. The truth is, I’m the one who’s really thankful for today.” They stop for a bit before she continues. “I never had friends before…..but I met you and things changed. My situation got better…..much much better. Today is perfect…and I’m extremely happy.” She grabs both their hands and say. “In this world, I’m no longer alone because there are Yumi and Ji Ah beside me.”

Seo Hyun decided to spend the whole day with them because her borrowed time is almost up. Ji Ah is childish but funny. Seo Hyun admires her enthusiasm. Yumi is supportive and understanding. She just loves her caring heart.

Seo Hyun is happy to befriend these two incredible people.

            “Uhm…..how did we get to this serious mode again?” Ji Ah cracks the seriousness with her comical reaction making the three of them chuckle.

            “Yeah, it’s a good day….there’s no room for heaviness.” Yumi says.

            “I agree.” Seo Hyun says then link arms with both of them. “There’s no day better than this one!”

            “Right!” Yumi and Ji Ah say in unison.

They continue to walk like that to the bus station.

 

 

_________________________________________________________________

 

 

Yonghwa goes out to go to the mart. He stops when he sees an old woman wondering outside Seo Hyun’s house. She’s staring at the house as if she’s looking for something or someone.

 

            “Excuse me elder, are you looking for someone?” he approaches her politely.

The old woman is startled but gives him a hesitant smile after.

            “Uhm…I was nearby so I decided to pass by.” She says. “I used to work for the Seos. I’m a former house help.” She adds.

            “I see…”

            “Lady Joohyun is sick….She fired us all and lived alone. I wonder how she’s doing now…”

Yonghwa sees the genuine worry in the old woman’s face. He can say that she truly cares for her former employer.

            “I wish I can help you visit grandma Seo but Seo Hyun isn’t home at the moment.” He says. Seo Hyun is went out and meet up with Ji Ah and Yumi for a girl’s bonding date. “You don’t have to be worried. Her granddaughter now lives here so grandma Seo isn’t alone. Seo Hyun takes care of her and she told me that grandma Seo is doing fine.” He assures her.

The old woman’s brows furrow.

            “What are you saying young man? Lady Joohyun lives with who?” she asks.

            “With her granddaughter, Seo Hyun.” He answers.

            “You must be mistaking something….Lady Joohyun was never married.”

Yonghwa smiles a bit.

            “Seo Hyun is the granddaughter of grandma Seo’s brother.” He explains but the lines on the old woman’s forehead deepen.

            “Lady Joohyun doesn’t have a brother. She’s an only child.”

Yonghwa blinks confusingly.

            “Elder, maybe you’re just confused. Grandma Seo has a younger brother. That brother has a son and he’s the father of Seo Hyun….therefore, she’s grandma Seo’s granddaughter too.”

The old woman waves her hand in disagreement.

            “My memory is still sharp young man! Master and Madam Seo had an only child and that’s Lady Joohyun. She doesn’t have any siblings. Having one kid runs in their blood therefore, she doesn’t have any cousin too from either side. Lady Joohyun was never married. I know all of these because I served for their family for forty years. My parents were former servants too so I grew up in the Seo’s household. The other servants and I were sent out by Lady Joohyun just a few months ago. What you’re saying is impossible.”

Now it’s Yonghwa’s brows furrow.

            “If there’s a person introducing herself as a relative…it’s impossible. That person is absolutely an impostor.”

            “Elder, are you sure about this?” he asks.

            “Definitely! I can swear it to my late parents’ names!” her voice is filled with certainty. She gasps and covers . “Heavens! Could it be that such person is here?! What did she do to Lady Joohyun?!” she utters. There’s worry and panic in her expression.

Yonghwa swallows hard.

 

_________________________________________________________________

           

Seo Hyun walks home while humming the tune of a new song she just learned. She had a fun girl’s day out with her friend.

She looks ahead…..a sweet smile draws in her face upon seeing Yonghwa in front of her house.

            “Yong!” she waves.

He stares at her but there’s something different. There is no smile in his lips to return hers. Instead, a dark expression is in there. Her smile fades as her feet stops just a yard away from him.

            “You…who are you?” Yonghwa asks her straight in the eyes.

The coldness in his tone crawls under her skin. In that instance, she knows that he now knows. She swallows hard.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

 

[Author's Note]:

Happy Friday everyone! Comments please! ^-^