Six

A Piece of Eternity

 

 

Anyone outside? Clear.

 

Seo Hyun goes out of the gate and stand there. She glances at the lunchbox she’s holding. It was wrapped in a blue handkerchief. She was making her own when she suddenly thought of making another one. She waits for Yonghwa to come out but there’s no trace of him.

 

            “Did he leave early?” she asks herself.

A few minutes more and she decided to go. As she turns to go, an unexpected visual startles her.

            “Good Gracious!” she exclaims with her hand on top of her chest.

Yonghwa is there, leaning to the wall with his hands in his pockets. From staring at the concrete ground, he looks at her and raises his hand for a greeting.

            “ ‘Morning!” he says with a slight smile.

            “You’re there?!” she says right after she bounced back from shock.

            “Hm.” He nods.

            “What in the name of God are YOU doing there?!”

            “I was waiting for you.” He answers shortly.

            “I scanned the street earlier but I didn’t see you.”

She obviously didn’t see him standing there because of the gate door. Yonghwa just shrugs his shoulders.

            “Let’s go.” He says.

The two walk together.

            “What’s that?” Yonghwa says when he sees the lunchbox she’s carrying.

            “Uh…This..”Seo Hyun reaches her arm to him. “Take it.”

            “You’re giving this to me?” he receives it.

            “Yes.” She looks away. “It’s a form of thank you.”

Yonghwa smiles.

            “Thanks. I definitely won’t refuse this.” He says.

They ride a bus and since there are no available seats, they have no choice but to stand. When the bus door opens, many passengers enter. By instinct, Yonghwa’s hand goes to Seo Hyun’s back in order to elude her from the rushing passengers. It becomes crowded inside but he made sure to keep her close to him. Seo Hyun got nervous as it gets filled with people and she’s really relieved that Yonghwa is there with her because he keeps a free space for her so that other passengers won’t wham into her. She just recently tried taking the bus. The first time she rode the bus is the time that she had mistaken him as a stalker.Growing up with a silver spoon in , there’s always a driver to drive for her or a taxi to take her anywhere she wants.

The bus finally arrives to their stop.

            “Follow me.” said Yonghwa.

He goes first to make way for her among the people.

            “You okay?” he asks when they got out.

She nods and an automatic chuckle comes out from the both of them.

 

            “Today is your chance to apply the things I taught you. Are you ready to make friends?”

            “Hm.” She replies.

            “Wait.” Yonghwa grabs her arm and they stop. “Are your eyes bad?”

            “Huh?”

            “I think it’s better to take these off.” He says while taking her eyeglasses off. “Can you see without it?” he asks after.

            “Uh……” her vision is perfectly clear. “Yes…?” she answers with awe.

She just realized that her vision probably becomes great again when she turns back to youth.

            “Don’t wear this anymore.” Yonghwa says while handing over the eyeglasses to her. “Without it, you are……” he stares at her face and see how beautiful she is. He blinks twice and gulps. “Better….” He just says.

            “I see…..There’s no need for this thing then…” Seo Hyun agrees.

Yonghwa bites his lower lip for a moment.

            “Yeah…Let’s hurry up.” He says and they enter the school gate.

 

_________________________________________________________________

 

 

            “Robert Frost is an American Poet. He was honored frequently during his lifetime, receiving four Pulitzer Prizes for Poetry. He is highly regarded for his realistic depictions of rural life and his command of American colloquial speech. His poems are considered classics yet relevant. Now, we are going to tackle one of his popular poems titled, ‘The Road Not Taken’. Everybody turn your books on page 84.”

Everybody does as what the teacher instructed.

            “I need a volunteer to read it aloud.” The teacher looks around. Her eyes focus on Seo Hyun. “The new student. What is your name again?”

Seo Hyun stands.

            “It is Seo Hyun, Ma’am.” She answers.

            “Okay Seo Hyun, please read the poem.”

Seo Hyun holds her book up and read the poem with a clear voice. She enunciates each word correctly and her tone is precise too. The teacher seems pleased.

            “Very well Seo Hyun.” She says as Seo Hyun sits. “Now let’s see if you understand what this poem is all about. Anyone?”

The students avoid making eye contact with the teacher. Each one pretends like they’re busy with something. Yonghwa who’s sitting next to the window turns his head to cover his mouth from a yawn. Seo Hyun quietly raises a hand. The teacher has no choice but to call her again since nobody seems to know what to say.

            “Alright. Let’s hear Seo Hyun’s interpretation of the poem.” 

She stands and expresses how she understands the said poem.

            “The speaker encounters two paths in the road while walking through a yellow wood. He considers both routes and concludes that each one is equally well-traveled and appealing. After choosing one of the roads, the speaker tells himself that he will come back to this place one day in order to try the other road. However, he realizes that it is unlikely that he will ever have the opportunity to come back to this specific point in time because his choice of path will simply lead to other twist in the road that requires other decisions. The speaker ends on a nostalgic note, wondering how different things would have been had he chosen the other path.” She says.

While she was talking, Seo Hyun realizes how relevant this poem is in what she’s experiencing now. Like the poem’s speaker, she come across two paths and walked on the absolutely safe but dull path making her wonder how things would turn out if she had chosen the other path which is uncertain but unlike the speaker, she was able to return to that same point of that road and is now walking on that other path.

 

            “Excellent!” the teacher says with a smile. Seo Hyun’s train of thoughts was cut and noticed that all eyes are on her.

 

_________________________________________________________________

 

 

            “Good job.”Yonghwa praises her right after their English teacher leaves the room.

Seo Hyun looks up and sees his gentle smile.

            “Because of your explanation, I realized what that poem is all about. And it is a beautiful one.” He says.

She just nods.

            “Whaaa…you’re really not bluffing when you told me that you can speak English.” He adds making Seo Hyun smile humbly.

Yonghwa places a bundle of photo cards in her desk.

            “What are these?” she asks.

He does not answer and simply drops one on the floor as he returns to his seat.

            “Oh my God!CNBlue!” the girl sitting behind Seo Hyun says. She picks it up and another girl looks at it with interest.

            “God! They all look hot here!” the other girl exclaims.

They notice the other cards in Seo Hyun’s desk.

            “You like CNBlue too?!”

            “Uh…” Seo Hyun looks at Yonghwa and he mouthed ‘Goodluck’.

            “Are you a BOICE?” the girl asks enthusiastically.

            “I’m not an official BOICE but I’m a fan…” she replies.

            “Oh my God! I didn’t expect that you’re the type to like idols…I’m Cha Yumi.” She offers her hand for a handshake in which Seo Hyun accepts.

            “I’m Seo Hyun.” She says. The other girl shakes her hand.

            “Hi! I’m Yoon Ji Ah.” The girl says with a smile.

They both look nice. Seo Hyun smiles at them.

            “Yonghwa Oppa looks hot!” Yumi says while holding the vocalist’s photo card. Then Yumi turn to Yonghwa who’slooking at them while rotating the pen with his fingers. “I’m talking about CNBlue’s Yonghwa.” She clarifies as she shows the photo card to him.

            “Not saying anything…” he answers.

            “Don’t worry Yonghwa sshi…You are charming too.” Ji Ah tells him.

The girls turn to Seo Hyun again but their Social Studies teacher arrives.

 

_________________________________________________________________

 

Lunch break comes. Yumi and Ji Ah ask Seo Hyun to eat with them.

 

            “Wow! Your food looks yummy!” Ji Ah says while looking at the food she uncovers.

            “You want some?” she asks her.

            “Really?!”Ji Ah utters excitedly.

            “This girl….” Yumi glares at Ji Ah jokingly then turns to Seo Hyun. “I brought a lot for lunch too. Let’s share.” She says.

            “Thank you..”Seo Hyun replies in amusement.

Her eyes automatically turn to Yonghwa’s direction but he’s not in his desk. He’s not in the room. Seo Hyun stands up.

            “Excuse me for a minute.” She says.

            “Huh? Where are you going?” they ask.

            “In the ladies room. I’ll return quickly.” She says and goes out of the room in a hurry.

She speed walks in the corridor but couldn’t find Yonghwa among the students there. She goes down the stairs and looks around. She recognizes Yonghwa from a distance.

            “Yonghwa…” she utters and follows him.

She walks and run to be able to catch up on him.

            “Y-Yonghwa!” she calls him.

Yonghwa stops and turns around.

            “Oh,  Seo Hyun?”

Seo Hyun catches her breath. She opens but don’t know what to say but Yonghwa knows.

            “Ah…You don’t have to worry. From what I know, Cha Yumi and Yoon Ji Ah are nice girls so you’d get along well with them. Congratulations! You finally made friends.” He says.

            “Thank you…” she finally manages to speak.

            “Happy to help. Thanks for this too.” He says lifting up the lunchbox in his hand.

            “Where are you going to…”

Yonghwa looks around and turns back at her.

            “Hmm….I’ll look for a nice place to eat this meal.” He replies with a smile.

            “I see…” Seo Hyun utters.

            “This is where my part ends.” He says making Seo Hyun stares at his face. Yonghwa gives the side of her shoulder two gentle taps. “Enjoy you lunch with them.” He then steps backs while slightly waving the lunchbox to her. After distancing himself from her, he turns and walks away.

Seo Hyun suddenly feels like there’s a strange heavy thing inside her chest.

 

_________________________________________________________________

 

Seo Hyun glances around but she couldn’t find Yonghwa. She was occupied with Ji Ah and Yumi’s story that she didn’t notice if Yonghwa left the room first or he’s still there.

 

            “Looking for Jung Yonghwa?” Yumi asks her.

            “H-huh?”

            “He exited the room first. He got up and leaves the moment the bell rang.” Yumi says.

            “Ah..”

            “Are you dating him?” Ji Ah asks.

            “W-what?!”Seo Hyun utters in astonishment.

            “Well the entire class thought so. He’s approaching you and talking to you. Also, Kang Jae In says that she saw the two of you yesterday at the mall.” She says.

            “No! That is not true! We were there because he bought a new mobile phone so I went with him since he helped with something.” Seo Hyun explains.

            “You two seem close.” Yumi comments.

            “We are neighbors.” She adds.

            “Really? That’s why…You two already know each other even before your transfer.” Says Ji Ah. “But you know what? I think you look good together.”

            “W-we look good together?” Seo Hyun repeats.

Ji Ah nods. “Hm. Yonghwa sshi is charming and cute. You are pretty and feminine. You make a good pair together!”

Seo Hyun speechlessly blinks her eyes.

            “Actually, Yonghwa sshi is quite popular. Not in a ‘campus heartthrob’ way but girls notices him and talks about him. He seems kind and helpful. He has a charismatic laugh too!” Yumi states.

            “C-charismatic laugh?”

            “Yes. There was this one time that he laughed because of the joke made by one of the boys and every girl in the room looked at him. From that moment, I became sure that he attracted many girls. I know some girls from other sections who have a crush on him.”

Seo Hyun silently listens. She’s a bit overwhelmed to know how young girls perceives and talks about boys.

            “Another one!”Ji Ah snaps her finger. “He can play the guitar well.”

            “He knows how to play the guitar?” Seo Hyun asks. She has no idea.

            “Of course! And he’s good at it. He’s with Mr. Han inside the music room. I think Yonghwa sshi was helping him in tuning a guitar then he plays it. Our other classmates and I was walking pass the room and we heard it. He looks cool when playing the guitar. Didn’t you know that?”            

            “No, I have no idea until now.”

           “So you must not be that close then.” Yumi comments with a pout. “Anyway, if ever he confesses to you, don’t hesitate to say yes, okay? He’s a good catch.”

            “Why would he….?” Seo Hyun says with her furrowing eyebrows.

Ji Ah link arms with her.

            “Let’s eat tteokbokki, my treat.” She says.

            “They sell tteokbokki not far from here. Let’s eat first. It’s Ji Ah’s treat.” Yumi says.

            “A-alright..” she answers.

Their conversation’s topic changes and so the talk about Yonghwa stops.

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

 

[Author's Note]

 

Happy Friday people! Comments please. Enjoy the weekend!