Eleven

A Piece of Eternity

 

Seo Hyun crosses out another day from her calendar. It’s been eleven days since she returned to youth. ….Time passes so quickly. Each passing day is dreading…Every minute is too precious for her but not because she’s afraid to die…she already accepted the fact that her time is up but she’s just sad that she only tried to come out of her comfort zone now. If she hadn’t let herself to be afraid before, she would probably had a happier life.

 

After brushing her teeth, Seo Hyun gently pat with a towel. She was a bit shaken with what Yeong Won just revealed….the day of her death. Her mind was blank but after a few minutes, it starts to process thoughts again.

 

            “How about Yonghwa, Yumi, and Ji Ah once I die? What’s going to happen to them?” she finally breaks her silence and asks.

            “They will simply forget about you and everything that happened between you. They will continue with their lives just like before you arrived.” Ne replies.

Seo Hyun swallows hard. Her classmates, teachers, friends, and even Yonghwa will forget her.

            “You are saying that they will wake up without any remembering anything about me or the times we shared together?” She whispers while looking at the floor.

Ne nods.

            “When I gave you this chance, I place you in a crack of time…an alternate time where you’d be able to experience what life could have been for you. As you leave, everything will restore to what it should have been before I tampered with the time. That’s how it goes.”

            “I’d be gone without a trace….as if I never existed….” Her voice is filled with sadness.

Knowing that nobody will remember her once she’s gone is really sad and hurtful.

 

28th….that’s her birthday….and will be the date of her death too. Seo Hyun smiles bitterly because of the irony. Not everyone knows when they are going to die she thought. She should think of it as a part of the gift given to her.

            “Right…” she utters to herself. “I should smile until the end.”

 

It’s 6:40 pm according to the wall clock. Seo Hyun steps out to go to the shopping center. She decided to buy gifts for her friends….a token of appreciation before she leave. She knows that when she’s gone, they won’t remember anything. The situation will go on according to the master plan and so as the material things too. In that alternate time, Yumi and Ji Ah will think that the thing she gave them would definitely from a different person.

Aside from her parents, Seo Hyun never had the chance to buy gifts for somebody before. Whenever she attends a birthday party for other people’s daughter, her mom prepares the gift and tell them that it’s her who personally picked it.

She browses the department store for possible gifts. For Ji Ah who loves accessorizing her smart phone, she chooses a pretty cellphone case. As for Yumi, she decided to get her a new journal notebook since she writes her diary. Seo Hyun spent almost an hour browsing at the stationery section until she found a cute notebook with pink leather cover. Seo Hyun finally decided to get this one. She picks it up and walks towards the cashier.

 

            “Seo Hyun sshi?”

Seo Hyun looks at the person she’s following in the line. He’s one of the boys in her class.

            “Classmate Lee….” She remembers his surname but not his actual name.

He smiles at her.

            “What a coincidence…I’m here to get this.” Won Geun points at the cellphone charger he’s paying for then looks at the journal she’s holding. “So, you’re shopping too…” he says.

            “Ah, this? It’s a present…” she answers as she pays for the items.

They walk together.

            “Are you going home now?” he asks her.

            “No. I still have to get these wrapped.” She replies.

Won Geun thinks for a bit.

            “Hm…I have nothing to do at home so…if you want, I can accompany you.” He says.

            “Huh?”

He puts his hands inside the back pockets of his jeans.

            “You just moved in this place, right? I know the place well…I can help you find your way around here. Also, it won’t be too boring if you got somebody to talk to while waiting.” He says with a shrug.

Seo Hyun couldn’t say no to a classmate who’s just trying to help. They go straight to the gift wrapping section that’s why she wasn’t able to buy something for Yonghwa. She admitted to him that those gifts are for Yumi and Ji Ah. Good thing, she hasn’t bought anything for Yonghwa yet because she doesn’t want Won Geun to speculate things. The staffs are busy catering to all the last-hour customers like them so she realized that what Won Geun said earlier is right. It’s better to have a company while waiting. Seo Hyun thinks that LeeWon Geun is a nice person. They talked about random things and his stories are entertaining too.

 

_________________________________________________________________

 

 

            “Are you sure you’re okay here?” Won Geun asks her again as they reach the bus stop.

Seo Hyun nods.

            “Yes. You can leave me here and go your way.” She says.

            “I’ll leave after you ride a bus.” He answers.

            “It’s embarrassing….I already took some of your time when you waited there with me.” 

            “That’s nothing…I told you, I have nothing to do at home anyway…” he says while gently scratching the back of his neck.

She shakes her head lightly.

            “No…You were supposed to be at home by now and resting yet you’re still here because of me…”

Won Geun smiles.

            “Eyyy….We’re not strangers. After all, we’re classmates.”

            “Classmate Lee…..”

            “It’s Lee Won Geun. We’re same age so just call me Won Geun.”

Seo Hyun blinks.

            “Thank you so much for keeping me company…I don’t know how to show my gratitude.”

            “Then treat me for a drink tomorrow.” He says.

            “Huh?”

The bus stops in front of them.

            “Your bus is here..”

            “Uhm…” she bows at him a bit. “I’ll go now. Thank you again, Won Geun sshi…” she says.

            “See you at school tomorrow.” He replies.

Seo Hyun climbs the bus and sits next to the window. When she turns to her side, Won Geun is still there. He smiles at her then wave goodbye. She nods at him as a response and her bus drives away.

 

_________________________________________________________________

 

 

Four admission tickets are placed in front of Seo Hyun. From staring down at her desk, Seo Hyun looks up to see the owner of those hands.

 

            “Let’s go to the amusement park with Yoon Ji Ah and Cha Yumi after class.”Yonghwa says with a smile.

Seo Hyun resumes reading.

            “I’m not fond of amusement parks.” She answers.

Yonghwa’s brows furrow because of Seo Hyun’s lukewarm response but he smiles again and sits at the chair in front of her. He crosses his arms on top of Seo Hyun’s desk.

            “Don’t tell me you’re that afraid to ride the roller coaster?” he teases her.

            “I’m not.” She says.

She’s still annoyed because of what happened yesterday.

            “These are non-refundable, you know.” He says as if he wants her to feel guilty.

            “I told you, I’m not interested in riding those insane machineries.” She says back.

Setting her jealousy aside, she’s still annoyed by the fact that Yonghwa didn’t tell her anything about yesterday and act today as if nothing happened. She thinks that if he considers her as a good friend then he’ll at least explain why he couldn’t wait for her yesterday.

Her eyes caught Lee Geun Woo. He’s at standing near the door with other boys and he’s staring at the two of them. Seo Hyun stands up and goes out of the room.Yonghwa follows her.

 

            “Seo Hyun….” He catches up on her.

Seo Hyun continues to walk without saying a word.

            “We can ride the Ferris wheel and carousel instead if you want.” He says.

He didn’t know that Seo Hyun hates the idea of going to the amusement park while Seo Hyun mentally rolls her eyes because Yonghwa still couldn’t realize why she’s annoyed.

            “Bad guy…” she whispers.

Yonghwa heard that making him stop. He kept thinking about how to convince her about the amusement park that he didn’t even think of the reason why Seo Hyun’s mood is not good.

            “Wait…” Seo Hyun continues to walk so Yonghwa catches her arm to stop her. “Are you mad at me?” he asks.

Seo Hyun didn’t say anything and that confirms it.

            “Are you upset that I couldn’t meet you outside earlier?” They weren’t able to go to school this morning like the usual. “I got up late….Did you wait long? I’m sorry.” He adds.

Seo Hyun secretly sighs. Yonghwa is still clueless….As for that, the truth is she intentionally didn’t wait for him this morning. She headed early for school.

She turns her eyes to another direction and she meets the gaze of Bae Suzy from afar. Her face is showing that she’s not pleased seeing her with Yonghwa.

            “Seo Hyun sshi!” Lee Won Geun suddenly arrives.

The two of them looks at him. He goes in front of them but looks only at Seo Hyun as if he’s not seeing Yonghwa.

            “The break time will be over in fifteen minutes…Let’s go for a drink.” He says to her.

            “Huh?”

Won Geun smiles at her.

            “Don’t you remember, you owe me a drink.” He says and grabs her wrist.

The expression in Yonghwa’s face became dark upon seeing that. But before Won Geun could pull Seo Hyun away, Yonghwa already holds her by the arm to stop them. The two men are now holding her left arm. For a few seconds, Yonghwa and Seo Hyun’s eyes meet. She recognized a deep emotion in his eyes but couldn’t pinpoint what that is.

Won Geun turns to Yonghwa.

            “Stop confusing her like this if you won’t be responsible for her.” He says to him in a serious tone.

Yonghwa and Won Geun know that both of them have interest with this girl.

            “Lee Won Geun.” Yonghwa says his name with deep emphasis as if he’s warning him not to get in between.

            “The one you should be minding is Bae Suzy.” Won Geun says to him without batting an eyelash.

Seo Hyun is confused….She couldn’t understand the situation. She’s looking at the two men engaged in a confrontation that she couldn’t comprehend. Yonghwa and Won Geun are not letting her arm go.

            “The two of you…..Let me go!” she says in a higher tone as she whisks their hands off her. “What do you think you’re doing?!” she tells them.

Yonghwa and Won Geun are only staring at her. Who do these kids think they’re playing with?—her mind says. Seo Hyun takes a few breathe before turning to Won Geun.

 

            “Won Geun sshi, let’s go.” She says to him.

Seo Hyun turns her back, completely ignoring Yonghwa. Lee Won Geun gives him one last look before leaving with Seo Hyun. Yonghwa was left there closing his fist tightly.

 

_________________________________________________________________

 

 

The vending machine released two canned drinks. Seo Hyun takes them and goes back to where she left Lee Won Geun. She sits a few inches away from him before handing him over one of the drinks.

 

            “Thanks.” He says.

They quietly watch the male students playing basketball in the school grounds in front of them.

 

            “He’s dating Bae Suzy now.” Won Geun says breaking the silence.

Seo Hyun turns to him.

            “I know.” She answers in a low voice.

            “But still, you like him, right?” Won Geun confirms.

She swallows gently then focuses her eyes on the can she’s holding. Her right thumb is playing with the can’s pull tab. She has no intention of opening it though.

 

            “I also don’t want to feel this way but my heart keeps wavering….” She says.

Whenever Yumi and Ji Ah asks her if she’s seeing Yonghwa more than a friend, Seo Hyun keeps on saying ‘no’ but at this very moment, she feels like she’s too tired to play the denial game.

             “Don’t let him be the only focus of your eyesight…..Try to expand it a little bit more because I’m sure, there’s another person out there who won’t give you pain. Don’t let yourself be a victim….”

Victim---she used to tell herself that she’s a victim. However, now that she heard that word again, it’s funny because she doesn’t think that way anymore.

            “You deserve someone better Seo Hyun sshi.”

            “No. It’s not me but him who deserves better.” She says quickly. “You know, in a way I am glad….that he’s not seeing it through me. That’s he’s not feeling the same way as me. Because I don’t think I could imagine the horror if it’s the other way around.” Her grasps on the can tightens. “If that person’s heart beats in the same rhythm as mine then he will have a hard time. I will only make him sad and I won’t be able to do anything about it.”

Tears starts to build up in the corners of her eyes. If Jung Yonghwa loves her then he’d be bound for pain and sorrow.

            “But it’s not yet late….You can still get out of it.” Won Geun swallows before he continues. “I’m here….” He says.

Seo Hyun meets his eyes.

            “For me, you are special….” He finally confesses. He started liking her from the first time he sees her. He has been watching her from a distance but couldn’t find the chance to approach her because he thought that Jung Yonghwa was dating her until Bae Suzy’s public confession to Yonghwa. He thought that it is fate that he saw Seo Hyun by chance yesterday at the department store. Yonghwa told Suzy that he’s consider her proposal so basically, he already chose her. Won Geun is now ready to take a chance with Seo Hyun.

            “Let me prove to you how serious I am. I can help you get through it….I will wait for you.” He adds.

Seo Hyun is quite surprise with his sudden confession but knows that she must turn him down right away so his blossoming feelings won’t grow any further.

            “Won Geun sshi, I’m sorry.” She utters.

Won Geun couldn’t believe how fast she replied.

            “I must be honest with you. The truth is I can’t be with anyone… may it be Jung Yonghwa or you.”

            “W-why?”

            “I can’t tell you exactly the reason but I can assure you of something. Even if that person tells me the things you just said, I won’t accept him either.” She says with clarity in her tone.

Won Geun was speechless for a moment before he nods.

            “If this is your decision, then I think I’d just respect that.” He says. He’s a guy who knows how to respect other’s decision and if the girl he likes decided to reject him then he won’t be pushy and burden her.

            “You’re still young Won Geun sshi…There are still a lot of things ahead of you.” Seo Hyun says to him.

Won Geun thinks that it’s strange for her to speak like that. She’s the same age as him but it somehow feels like there’s a big between them. He smirks to himself with that weird thought.

Seo Hyun takes big breaths. It’s like the burden she’s carrying in her heart lightens a bit because she was able to speak it out. She turns to Won Geun and they give each other a gentle smile.

 

_________________________________________________________________

 

[Author Note]

 

It's Holy week so vacation time...I hope you all be safe wherever you spend your holiday. Let us all feel the love of God and reflect on our actions as we reminisce the sacrifice of Jesus Christ.