Chapter 6. First Day at School

TWIST OF FATE...OR MAYBE NOT?

 

CHAPTER 6.  FIRST DAY AT SCHOOL

 

Except with Seung Jo who did not bother to talk to her in the last two days since she arrived, Ha Ni slowly felt at home with the Baek family as time passed. She did not have any dreaded serious talk with the chairman. CEO Baek was actually letting her feel settled, comfortable and ready for the busy days ahead, especially for university life. Meanwhile, ommoni never allowed Ha Ni to feel left out. They even had some bonding time a day before her first semester in the university started when she taught Ha Ni how to bake some cookies. Unfortunately, Ha Ni was not trained in the kitchen in their home in Jeju. It was difficult for her to follow all of ommoni’s instructions.

 

“Go noona!  I bet your cookies will be yummy,” Eun Jo cheered, with his hands already on some of his mother’s finished products.

 

“Of course. Ha Ni’s cookies will taste good. I taught her well.” Ommoni then slapped Eun Jo’s hands. “And wash your hands first!”

 

Ha Ni laughed heartily. She felt really welcome in the house, and she was happy to meet such a warm family. She never had any brother nor sister, she was so used to playing alone when her parents were busy. It was a nice change to be in that new environment.

 

“Ha Ni yah… are you ready for school tomorrow?” Ommoni asked her as she put another tray of unbaked cookies into the oven.

 

Ha Ni was already finished cleaning up the table and gave her two thumbs up. “Yes, ommoni. My parents settled everything beforehand. All I need is to appear in class tomorrow.”

 

“That’s good. Go with Seung Jo to school tomorrow,” Ommoni said nonchalantly.

 

“Eh?” Ha Ni clearly did not know what to say. She did not want to directly tell ommoni that she hated being with her son.

 

“To get you there on time. I don’t want you to get lost on your first day.”

 

Eun Jo laughed while trying to munch the remainder of the cookies on his plate. “Omma, how can a grown-up noona get lost going to the university? Even I can go to school on my own.”

 

Ha Ni blushed, embarrassed. “Eun Jo’s right, ommoni.”

 

“Your mother told me you have a knack for getting lost. Or getting into scrapes. Or knocking people off the road unintentionally...Aish, this child...” Ommoni went on and winked at Ha Ni.

 

Ha Ni blushed more. “Oh, my omma…Yes. Unfortunately, I am such a clutz… I easily get into accidents. But I really try to take care most of the time.”

 

“That’s why it’s a good idea to ride with Seung Jo to school tomorrow. And he can show you around the campus a bit. He is quite popular at school, you know.” Ommoni looked at Ha Ni expectantly.

 

Ha Ni felt trapped. “Yes ommoni.” Ha Ni replied politely, but deep inside her mind was racing. There was no way she was going to ride with him. I've got to think up of something tomorrow!

 

********************

 

Ommoni stopped preparing the breakfast table when she saw Ha Ni standing before her, all dolled up for her first day in the university. “Ha Ni yah! Why are you so up so early? You just need 30 minutes to get to school and your first class starts at 10am.” Ommoni pointed at the huge clock in the living room. 8:00 AM.

 

 

Ha Ni looked a bit flustered at her question and looked at her pretty shoes. “I wake up early most of the time. really. And I want to be there early to look around and find my friend Min Ah.” She did not look at ommoni and just pretended to check the contents of her bag senselessly.

 

“But Seung Jo is still in his room. I thought you agreed that you’d go together today?”

 

Ha Ni faked a small laugh. “Oh, that. Let’s not bother him so early today. I can go on my own. I am sure I will easily find my way. I’m not that bad at directions.” She continued a nervous laugh.

 

“No. Let me wake him up. I already hinted to him that you will ride together to school.” Ommoni was about to leave when Seung Jo suddenly appeared.

 

“Good morning.”

 

Both women were surprised to see Seung Jo already dressed up for school.

 

Ommoni demurely clapped her hands in glee. “Seung Jo yah! You’re up so early today, too!” She then pushed Ha Ni closer to him. “Did Ha Ni tell you to be early?”

 

Seung Jo looked at his mother, confusion obvious on his face. “Hmmm? I have a meeting early today.” He looked at Ha Ni, failing to hide his irritation even in front of his mother. He clearly woke early to escape bringing her to school. Ha Ni’s very same plan!

 

“Perfect! You and Ha Ni will go together,” Ommoni announced.

 

Seung Jo showed no response as he already anticipated a move like that from his mother.

 

Ha Ni shook her head continuously. “No, ommoni. Actually, I’m really about to go and Seung Jo needs to eat his breakfast. See you later! Bye!” Ha Ni bowed quickly and dashed out of the door, preventing ommoni from stopping her.

 

********************

 

Ha Ni continuously walked out of the tall gates and into the roadside, feeling relieved at escaping riding with the jerk to school. She was about to hail a cab when a silver car suddenly appeared in front of her.

 

Crazy city driver!

 

“Yah! Do you want to kill me?” Ha Ni shouted as she approached the window of the car and knocked on it. The car looked a little familiar. The window that Ha Ni knocked was suddenly rolled down. Ha Ni was stunned when she saw the driver. Idiot! Of course it’s the jerk’s car!

 

 

“Get in,” Seung Jo said without even looking at her, his eyes were fixed on the road. Impatience was noticeable in his voice.

 

“What?”

 

“I said get in. Are you deaf or just plain stupid?”

 

“I am not stupid.” Ha Ni reluctantly slid into the passenger seat. She was not yet fully done fastening her seatbelt when Seung Jo sped into the road once again.

 

Three minutes into the ride…

 

“Thank you.” She was surprised, but a bit touched, that Seung Jo actually followed her and offered to give her a ride.

 

Seung Jo snorted. “I will not hear the end of it from my mother if I do not drive you to school.” He looked at her sideways for a split second and continued, “BUT, this is just for today.”

 

Jerk! I almost thought you’re kind in your own way. I am so wrong.

 

The two did not say anything throughout the rest of the ride to school.

 

********************

 

It was still early but a lot of students, old and new, were already in the university on the first day of semester. Most of the old students were busy catching up with friends they did not see during the short vacation or welcoming new students they eyed to be possible members of their organizations. Some guys were busy ogling pretty freshmen who were walking around the campus. Some girls were chatting noisily by the entrance of the university’s main building, and judging by their looks, it seemed that they were the popular faces in school.

 

“I wonder why he never called me during the vacation… I wrote my number clearly and stuck it on his windshield the last time,” a tall girl told her friend who was busy looking at herself in the mirror.

 

Another girl joined in the conversation. “Girls, we all know Seung Jo does not call. Unless it is something important.”

 

At that moment, a silver Porsche entered the gates and parked in front of the building.

 

“Speaking of the devil,” said the prettiest among the girls, her eyes completely on the car. Yoon He Ra.

 

“Seung Jo is sure early today.” Kyu Jong, one of Seung Jo’s debate team sunbaes, pointed at Seung Jo’s car. T

 

Most of the students, particularly freshmen girls, stopped walking and waited for the driver of the famous car to come out.

 

Seung Jo opened his door and took his things. His friends waved at him while some girls controlled squeeling upon seeing him.

 

Stupid girls.

 

The passenger door then opened and came out Ha Ni, trying to be confident on her first day of school. Afterall, she tried her best to look great for the very first day.

 

Almost the whole school looked stunned after Ha Ni came out. Not because she appeared really beautiful in her fresh looks and smart clothing.  The thing was, Seung Jo never let anyone to ride his car.

 

Seung Jo walked towards his friends and completely ignored Ha Ni after he locked his car.

 

“Baek Seung Jo!”

 

Seung Jo glanced back to Ha Ni.

 

“Thank you for the ride.” Ha Ni bowed a little and walked off in a different direction, eager to escape from the stares of everyone. He sure is popular like ommoni said. It’s like their world stopped when he arrived. Oh well, gotta find Min Ah first. I can’t wait to start school!!!! :D

 

Little did she know that it was partly because of her that they were momentarily speechless. Two reasons: First, everyone wondered how she managed to hitch a ride with Seung Jo. Second, they were wondering who the new pretty girl was. The look that most girls gave her was actually full of amazement and envy, while most of the guys got excited at seeing a new pretty prospect.

 

“Whos’ that girl, Seung Jo?” Young Saeng, another friend, asked inquisitively.

 

Kyu Jong nudged him slightly in the ribs and smirked. “You’re really something. It was only a short break and you managed to find another one? A freshman, by the looks of it! Spill!”

 

Some girls wailed at hearing those remarks.

 

“No one. Just a family friend my mother told me to babysit for today.” Seung Jo said casually, ignoring the reactions of everyone eavesdropping on their conversation.

 

Another playboy friend, Hyung Joon, smiled from ear to ear. “Good! Then I don’t have to worry about you if I make a move on her later at lunch.”

 

Seung Jo shot him a cold stare. “No, you will not.”

 

Hyung Joon’s smile faded and raised his hands in defeat.

 

********************

 

He Ra's gaze was still focused on Ha Ni who already walked a distance from the scene. Let's learn more about you, little girl. She thought suspiciously.

 

********************

A/N: Chapter 6 done. Sorry if my updates are always short. I'm not sure when I can start with Chapter 7. The other future chapters are already done in my mind but I cannot write them yet and jam everything in prematurely. I hope you enjoy reading.

PS: I have this something bugging me... it's just that there are times when I feel like I am being disrespectful to PK by writing this ff. Am I crazy? XD What do you think? I just sooooo love this couple.