Chapter 3. The Arrangements.

TWIST OF FATE...OR MAYBE NOT?

CHAPTER 3. THE ARRANGEMENTS.

 

“I want to marry your son.”

 

“Oh Ha Ni,” CEO Baek said in disbelief

 

“You said it yourself, it is the easiest way,” she replied.

 

 “But I was only joking about that, my dear.” CEO Baek smiled at her.

 

“Well, your little joke opened up a possibility, ajhussi,” Ha Ni said casually, aware of the uneasy look on the chairman’s face. “I just want the easiest way to make my parents happy. It isn’t about money. It’s about protecting my family and my grandfather’s legacy.”

 

Ironically, Ha Ni hated marrying for business because she never considered it as a real marriage and a happy family, but it was what she needed to do to make her family happy.

 

“Young lady, every time you come to my office, you always say the most unexpected things.” CEO Baek continued looking at her with wary eyes.

 

Ha Ni inhaled deeply before continuing to explain herself. “I just want to make it clear that I never dreamed of marrying someone I do not love, and in this case I haven’t even met yet, for business. I hate it. But if it means bringing back the smile on my omma’s face and taking a burden off my appa’s shoulders, then so be it.” She had the worst time convincing herself to offer such a deal, and it certainly was not helping her that the chairman seemed not seriously believing her.

 

CEO Baek showed a frown. “Actually, I already have someone in mind as my future daughter-in-law.”

 

Ha Ni's face fell.

 

Her gaze fell to the floor. Weirdly, she did not feel comforted at the prospect of not needing to marry CEO Baek's son anymore. She felt embarrassed at having to offer such a deal after so much self-debate, and then to be turned down just as easy that. Dratted arranged marriages!  In that case, she needed to think of another solution, then.

 

She turned to CEO Baek again and bowed. "Then please forget that I even mentioned this." She was already heading for the door when CEO Baek called out to her.

 

"What can you do as a daughter-in-law?"

 

Ha Ni looked back, quite unsure of what the chairman meant. "Eh?"

 

"The purpose of arranged marriages is not just to increase wealth or tie-up connections. In our family, we do it to ensure good additions to the family," the old man explained. "Are you the daughter-in-law suited for our family?"

 

Ha Ni still did not know how to answer the most unbelievable question ever given to her. The question sounded like a challenge. Do I have to convince him that I will be a good daughter-in-law? Like I have to beg? Ha Ni felt that the situation seemed reversed. First, she was unwilling to do it... then she made up her mind to do it, however unhappy the prospects were for her... then she felt rejected... And now I have to prove myself?  Her head was in a mess.

 

"My dear?" CEO Baek called softly back to their conversation.

 

Oh Ha Ni clenched her fist and took a deep breath. “Everything.”

 

CEO Baek smiled.

 

******************************

 

Seung Jo did not have any idea why his father suddenly summoned him to his office. He still had one class left when his father called. After his last class, he cancelled a meeting with his debate team members and went directly to his father.

 

“Appa. I’m here.”

 

CEO Baek nodded at his son and motioned him to take a seat first. “So how is your studies going, Seung Jo?” His son shot him a weird look. “I heard from Prof. Lee that you are doing consistently well.”

 

“You asked me to come here just to talk about my studies?” Seung Jo eyed his father carefully, quite sure that there was a more serious matter about to be discussed.

 

“Do have a girlfriend now, son?”

 

“You know very well that I don’t.”

 

“How can I be sure when you are going out almost every night?” the chairman replied. “And besides, your mother saw you a few times with some pretty ladies.”

 

“Appa, please cut to the chase and tell me what the matter is.” Seung Jo did not even try to hide his impatient side to his father. “What is it you want to tell me that you cannot wait for us to just meet at home later?”

 

 CEO Baek gave his usual chuckle. “You might get home later than me as usual!” The chairman then shifted back to his serious face upon seeing that his son did not take his joke. “Actually, I don’t want your mother to know about this yet…she might get too excited.”

 

Uh-oh. Seung Jo's dreaded topic. Something that can easily make his mother feel excited was his most dreaded topic. Marriage.

 

“Remember the last time you came here and we talked about you doing some hands-on management on our newly acquired business?” Seung Jo nodded, but he was quite unsure about its connection to his dreaded topic. “Well, there are small changes in the plan.”

 

“Which is?”

 

“You will be working with your fiancée.”

 

Seung Jo suddenly stood up. “What fiancée? I am just 21!”

 

His father asked him to sit down again. “Calm down.”

 

“How can I calm down? From the beginning I knew you’d choose someone for me. You said it’s the family’s tradition…that it is for the best. I didn’t complain. My only consolation was when you said it will be after I finish my studies. I am still even not done enjoying my remaining years of freedom and now you are telling me about this fiancée?”

 

“Something surprisingly came up. Baek Seung Jo, I assure you, this is for the best.”

 

“It’d better be.” Seung Jo said before walking out of his father’s office.

 

******************************

 

“Ha Ni yah, graduation is near. Only a month to go and you will be free from your uniform. So where do you want to have our vacation?” Min Young asked her daughter one afternoon while they were having tea.

 

Ha Ni put down her tea cup and looked at her parents. “Appa, Omma. I have decided to move to Seoul to study in the university immediately after graduation.” Her parents looked at her in surprise.

 

 “What about your plan to have one year vacation before flying to London to study interior design? I have already settled it with an old friend of mine, remember?” Her omma’s face was creased with worries for their only daughter.

 

 “I will not be taking up interior design at all. I want to study business management.”

 

The couple looked at each other then turned their gaze back to their daughter. “Why the sudden change of plans?”

 

“I want to get back our company, Appa, Omma. I will work hard and someday I will have it back. I promise.”

 

******************************

 

Ha Ni graduated with flying colors. She was at the top of the graduating class, followed by her bestfriend Min Ah. Because of their good academic records and high entrance exam scores, they were easily accepted to one of the best universities in Seoul.

 

“It will so nice to be studying at the university together. Right, Min Ah?” Ha Ni said while fixing her hair. They came to the ladies’ room right after the graduation ceremony ended.

 

Min Ah nodded while struggling to carry her bouquet of roses.

 

“Wouldn’t you feel sad about leaving Jeju? Your relationship with Tae Sung has just started.” Tae Sung was Min Ah’s first boyfriend and they had been classmates since highschool.

 

“Nope, I am more excited than worried about this. And Tae Sung promised to follow me in Seoul after his trip to Japan.”

 

“That’s great, then.” With one last look at the mirror, Ha Ni pulled her friend out of the room. “Come on! Our parents are waiting at the lobby.” The two girls walked merrily, leaving highschool life forever.

 

******************************

 

“But omma, I want to try living on my own!”

 

Min Young scolded her daughter. “Don’t be stubborn, Ha Ni. It will be your first time to live in Seoul and I certainly cannot allow you to live alone.”

 

“I will live with Min Ah, then!”

 

Her mother gave her a stern look. “No. Two young girls living together unprotected is not a good idea. And besides, Min Ah’s mother confided that their daughter will be living with a relative.”

 

Ha Ni gave a pleading look to her father, wanting him to side with her. “Baby, your omma is right. Be a good girl and maybe when you have fully adjusted to life in Seoul, we can allow you to have your own little apartment.”

 

"We know you well, Ha Ni."

 

Ha Ni sensed her defeat and sighed. “Fine! I give up. So where will I be staying then? We don’t exactly have a relative in Seoul as far as I know.”

 

Her mother smiled at her for the first time. “No problem. Your appa has already arranged for that.”

 

“You will be staying with my friend’s family.” 

******************************

A/N: Finally a new chapter. I'm constantly having bouts with writer's block. I know what I want with my story but I just can't seem to find the right style to write the parts in the way that I want. Please be patient with me. Enjoy reading! :)