Chapter 10. Rules and Complications

TWIST OF FATE...OR MAYBE NOT?

Chapter 10 Rules and Complications

 

“Rule 1, no one should know about the deal I made with your father.”

 

“Because?”

 

Ha Ni sighed. “Because it isn’t me to agree to an arranged marriage. Min Ah is so going to laugh at me for this.”

 

“Okay… actually that’s my first condition, too. No one should know, especially my omma.”

 

“Hmmm? Why?” It was the second time Seung Jo told her about not telling ommoni about the deal, meaning she did not know anything yet. I hope ommoni will not hate me for lying to her.

 

“You noticed how excited she became since you started living here?”

 

Ha Ni nodded, remembering her first talks with Sueng Jo’s mother. “Yes. She said she really wants to have a daughter.”

 

“Right. If she gets wind of this deal, she’ll do anything to push it through, much earlier than we are ready. My mother can be really hard-headed and persistent if she wants, too.”

 

“Okay. So we have same Rule 1.”

 

“Then what’s your second one?” Seung Jo continued.

 

Ha Ni confidently read from her paper. “You have to be nice to me.” She looked at Seung Jo to see any reaction. “I’ve only been staying here for a few days and I already feel tired tolerating your attitude.”

 

“Uh..huh.” He mumbled, as though what she said was not of major importance.

 

“That one. You always look like you don’t care. Can you at least be polite to me? Like you do with your friends?”

 

“Okay. I’ll try to be nice to you since you’re going to cooperate in this.”

 

“Just try?” Ha Ni pouted.

 

“Yah! Don’t push my limits, okay? I don’t even know you that well.”

 

“But you are so famous at school, people talk very nicely of you. How can it be difficult to be nice to me as well?”

 

“You see, I have this kind of relationship levels… it’s different with friends and mere acquaintances… and nuisances. I am myself with close friends and extremely nice to acquaintances. To those annoying people, well it depends on the situation… most the time I just ignore them.”

 

“So where do I fit in those categories?”

 

“What do you think?”

 

Ha Ni tried thinking about it.

 

“Obviously, we are not friends and we are not mere acquaintances either,” Seung Jo answered for her.

 

“I fall under the nuisance category, then?” Ha Ni eyed him nastily.

 

“When you signed the deal with my father, YES. But it’s up to you to change your status.”

 

“Fine… in our situation, we should at least be friends.” Ha Ni continued taking down notes of their own deal.

 

“Let’s see about that in the future.”

 

“Okay. So what is your Rule 2? I already gave mine.”

 

“Don’t be a burden. I hate looking after people. I do a lot of things and I don’t like you to get in my way.”

 

Ha Ni looked at him incredulously. “Does my name spell B-U-R-D-E-N? Dot worry, I can do things on my own. I don’t really need much help.”

 

“Yeah, right.” Seung Jo replied sarcastically as he remembered the incident with the ert man and the day he helped her in the elevator. You’re not just clumsy, you’re also a liar.

 

Ha Ni shot her an arched brow. “You don’t believe me?”

 

Seung Jo ignore her question. “So what’s your third rule?”

 

Ha Ni swallowed. “Well… I heard a lot about you at school and from ommoni and Eun Jo. You’re quite popular like what ommoni said.”

 

“So?”

 

“I heard you like going out with a lot of different girls…” Ha Ni said it in a rather low voice, like she was embarrassed talking about it.

 

“And?”

 

“Please be discreet.” Ha Ni finally blurted it out.

 

Seung Jo suddenly laughed at her unexpected Rule 3.

 

“Yah! Why are you laughing? I’m serious.”

 

Seung Jo spent a few more seconds trying to control his laugh before answering. “That was unexpected. You’re the very first person to tell me to be discreet.”

 

“Then why do you date so many girls and not stick with just one steady girlfriend? You don’t really look like a player to me.”

 

“Looks can be deceiving, miss.”

 

“But why? I really wanna know…”

 

Seung Jo crossed his legs and looked like he was preparing a lengthy explanation. “I told you already that I knew a long time ago that my parents will arrange for the girl I’m going to marry someday, right?”

 

“Yes.” Which turned out to be me.

 

“And I also told you that I want to enjoy my life before that happens, right? I want to enjoy being single as long as I can. That’s why I got pissed at you.” He looked at her but managed a small smile.

 

“I will be busy when I take over our companies so I go out with friends most of the time while I still can. I know I’m going to marry someone they chose for me so I fool around with girls while I still have the freedom to choose who to go out with.”

 

“But you never took anyone seriously…?” Ha Ni said, more like a sure statement than a question.

 

She surely heard a lot about me.

 

Seung Jo sighed. “Honestly, if you knew your parents are going to marry you off to someone you didn’t choose, would you still be in the mood to date seriously? Knowing that relationship will not work out and you would just have to leave that person someday?”

 

Ha Ni thought about it. Hmmm.. he’s got a point.

 

“But if I were you, I would fight back. I will stand my ground that I don’t want to marry the person they chose for me.”

 

“There you go again, giving out sermons. Aren’t you in an arranged engagement now, too? Practice what you preach, miss.”

 

Ha Ni pouted. Fine! I always forget about it. Idiot.

 

“So why do I have to be discreet?” Seung Jo shot back the question regarding her Rule 3.

 

Ha Ni looked down again, shy at having to explain why. “Because I don’t like my future fiancé playing around with so many girls in front of my very eyes.”

 

Seung Jo laughed for the second time. “You’re amusing me, Oh Ha Ni.”

 

Ha Ni finally looked up, on the defensive mode. “I just thought any girl wouldn’t want to see that kind of scene. And it will make me feel uncomfortable…seeing you like that, with both of us knowing what is to become of us in the future.”

 

“Okay. But when you say discreet, what do you mean?”

 

“Oh, that. I’m not stopping you in any way… Just don’t make scenes when I’m around.”

 

Seung Jo nodded. “Don’t worry about that. I don’t do it at school. And I’m sure we would not find ourselves in similar places outside school and this house.”

 

“That’s settled then. So your turn now.”

 

“My Rule 3, don’t in my affairs. I agreed with your discretion rule so you better not interfere with any of my activities. Is that understood?”

 

Ha Ni nodded. That would be easy. I don’t plan to interfere with your life as much as possible. Less hassle. I only want to do what is good for me.

 

Sung Jo then dropped his next rule. “Fourth rule: You are not allowed to date.”

 

“What?!” Ha Ni was brought back from her reveries by his words.

 

“Did you not hear?”

 

“I did… but what do you mean I am not allowed to date?”

 

“Why, do you have anyone you’d like to date at this point?” Seung jo said, mocking her.

 

No one really… Then Jin Woo suddenly flashed in her mind.

 

Ha Ni shook the thoughts away. “No one.”

 

“Good. You cannot date.”

 

“But why?”

 

“Oh Ha Ni, who asked to marry CEO Baek’s son in the first place? It was you, right? You brought this upon yourself. Give some respect to my father and to your deal. How can you be a good daughter-in-law if you go around dating guys other than your fiancé?”

 

“But you can date! It’s unfair!” Ha Ni was glaring at him.

 

“I don’t really call what I do dating… but then again, it wasn’t me who started this so I shouldn’t be the one inconvenienced, right? Afterall, our engagement is not yet formally announced. As far as people know, I am still free. But, for my father, you are already taken. Daughter-in-law-in-training.”

 

Gosh, he’s good at this.

 

“Fine!” Ha Ni said against her will. As if I have a choice. And at this point, I couldn’t really think of anything else besides my studies and getting back the company.

 

“That’s better. It’s easier if you just follow me, right?” Seung Jo smirked at seeing Ha Ni’s livid face. “So what’s your Rule 4?”

 

Ha Ni looked at her list, crossed out her Rule 4 and improvised a new one. “Don’t be controlling. I am my own person and I don’t want to take orders from anyone not worth it.”

 

“Wait, are you saying I am being controlling?”

 

“What do you think?”

 

“Look, I am only suggesting the things to make this deal work out. It’s up to you to follow this contract or not.”

 

Ha Ni made a face. “Only suggesting? You know I have to follow them anyway. That’s blackmail!”

 

Seung Jo started to stand up. “This is useless.” He then feigned tearing up his contract paper. Ha Ni barely reached his arm to stop him from ripping the paper into half.

 

“Stop. I’ll do it…let’s continue.” He’s so bossy. Looks like he will always violate my Rule 4.

 

Seung Jo sat down and smirked. “That’s better.”

 

Ha Ni ignored his sneering and continued, “So here’s my last rule. Rule #5, never lie to me. That’s it. So what’s your Rule 5?”

 

“Just tell me when you’ve fallen for someone.”

 

Ha Ni blinked. “What? Why?”

 

“I just want to know. Though everything we have is just because of your deal with my father, I’d still want to know if you’ve already fallen for someone...anyone. I think I have the right to know that, at least.”

 

“Okay… but what are you going to do about it?”

 

“I don’t know honestly.”

 

“Are you going to break off the engagement if that happens?” Ha Ni asked excitedly.

 

Seung Jo gave her a curious look. “Yah! You don’t have to look so excited about that prospect. It’s you who need me anyway.”

 

Ha Ni frowned at him.

 

“And to answer your question, I don’t know. I’ll think about it when the time comes.”

 

“Fine.” Ha Ni then rewrote everything neatly in another blank piece of paper. Once she was done, she handed it to Seung Jo.

 

“Sign it. It’s our contract. We have to abide by these rules at all times.” Ha Ni pushed the pen to Seung Jo who was busy scanning everything Ha Ni wrote down.

 

Seung Jo signed the paper and handed it back for Ha Ni’s turn to sign. “So what happens if you break the rules?”

 

“I will not break them.”

 

Seung Jo stood up and started walking off to his room. Ha Ni suddenly remembered wanting to ask about the incident earlier that night.

 

“Yah, Seung Jo!”

 

He looked back. “What?”

 

“About what happened earlier tonight… “

 

Seung Jo cut in Ha Ni’s sentence, “About that, good thing you reminded me about it… I repeat, I don’t like you being with that Park Jin Woo. Twice is enough.”

 

Ha Ni’s curiosity came back. “Why? Jin Woo seems nice…”

 

“Because I said so.”

 

“There you go… violating Rule 4 as soon as you signed the contract. I don’t think you should control who I want to stick around with.”

 

Seung Jo tried to be patient in answering this time. He was too tired and already sleepy to argue with her. “I am not trying to control you. Trust me in this one. Avoid that guy.”

 

Seung Jo then continued walking off, leaving Ha Ni more confused than before.

 

********************

 

Eun Jo lied down in his bed, wondering about an incident he saw in the balcony. What could hyung and Ha Ni noona be talking there at this time of the night? Something’s weird.

 

********************

The following morning at the reading room…

 

“Really? You should have called me,” Min Ah said after Ha Ni told her about the incident with the ert man. Ha Ni opted not to mention about the obvious hostility between Seung Jo and Jin Woo.

 

Ha Ni dangled her still unrepaired phone in front of Min Ah’s eyes.

 

“Ah yes… get that phone repaired at once. Mobile phone is a necessity for an accident-magnet like you.”

 

Ha Ni pouted at her and placed back the poor phone to her back.

 

“But seriously, Ha Ni… you are quite lucky Jin Woo came just in time. I don’t want to imagine what could have happened to you if he didn’t arrive. I will feel guilty for life for leaving you on your own yesterday.”

 

Ha Ni laughed. “Don’t be exaggerating. It was not your fault. I was just unlucky yesterday.”

 

“Yah! Don’t you take those incidents lightly. You are now in a big city and you always have to be extra careful.”

 

“Yes, Miss Song.” Ha Ni giggled, deep inside also thankful nothing bad really happened to her.

 

The two continued reading their books. Suddenly, Jin Woo appeared at their table. Min Ah was the first to notice his presence and she kicked Ha Ni’s leg under the table. Ha Ni immediately looked up from her book and saw Jin Woo standing in front of them.

 

“Jin woo.”

 

“Hello, Oh Ha Ni.” Jin Woo then invited himself to a seat.

 

“Ah… Jin Woo, this is my friend Song Min Ah.” Ha Ni pointed to Min Ah who waved lightly at him. “Min Ah, this is Park Jin Woo.”

 

The two shook hands. “Thank you for saving Ha Ni yesterday. She’s just told me about it.”

 

Jin Woo smiled at Min Ah then looked at Ha Ni. “Actually that’s why I came here… Are you sure you’re okay Ha Ni?”

 

“I’m fine. Don’t worry. Thank you so much.”

 

“I was worried and I wanted to ask you that last night but I did not know how to contact you.”

 

Min Ah laughed. “Ha Ni doesn’t even have a functional mobile phone right now.”

 

Jin Woo looked at Ha Ni for explanations. “Was it because of your fall yesterday?”

 

Ha Ni nodded. “Don’t worry, I’ll have it repaired soon.” Seung Jo scolded me the whole time about that phone this morning!

 

“Why don’t I just replace it with a new one? There are a lot of new models out in the market. Afterall, it was my fault.”

 

Ha Ni shook her head. “No, it wasn’t completely your fault. I’ll take care of it soon. It’s really okay. How about your phone?”

 

Jin Woo then took out a new phone from his pocket and grinned. “I told you I can replace mine easily.”

 

“Wow! The latest of the series! It looks really nice and slick,” Min Ah praised and Ha Ni agreed with her. “Just buy something like that, Ha Ni yah. Don’t bother to have the old one repaired.”

 

********************

 

Ha Ni picked her things and headed out the exit of the lecture hall after her last class for the day ended. Unexpectedly, Jin Woo was already standing by the hallway, waiting for her to come out.

 

“Ha Ni yah.” Jin Woo approached her as soon as he saw her.

 

“Hi! What are you doing here?” Ha Ni asked. The two continued walking along the hallway while talking.

 

Jin Woo handed over a small paper bag. “I just came to give you this.”

 

Ha Ni looked at him then at the bag, intrigued. “What’s this?”

 

“Open it,” He ordered.

 

Ha Ni’s eyes widened when she saw a box of brand new mobile phone, exactly the same as Jin Woo’s phone. “Why are you giving this? I told you it’s okay. You don’t have to do this.”

 

“I just want to save you the trouble…”

 

Ha Ni then fished out her wallet from her bag. “Then let me just pay for it… this model is an expensive one.”

 

Jin Woo pushed her wallet back to her bag. “It’s okay… That’s nothing, actually.”

 

Ha Ni eyed him suspiciously. “Hmmm?”

 

“Well, let’s just say I can have something like that any time.” Seeing Ha Ni’s discontent at his answer, he added, “Our family owns that mobile phone company.”

 

“Oh…” was all Ha Ni could say.

 

They already reached the exit of the building, near the parking space.

 

“So keep it okay? I already put my number there and saved your number in mine.”

 

Ha Ni had no choice but to accept it and bowed. “Thank you again, Jin Woo. I seem to have so many things to be thankful for to you.”

 

“No problem about it. Maybe we can------“ Jin Woo was not able to finish was he was about to say because a silver gray Porsche noisily beeped. The two looked around and saw Seung Jo standing by the car, displeasure clearly written on his face.

 

Ha Ni looked apologetic to Jin Woo and said, “Sorry but I have to go… Seung Jo said I should ride with him for at least a week while I get adjusted.”

 

Jin Woo smiled. “No… it’s okay. I’ll talk to you soon… Go on, he doesn’t like to be kept waiting.”

 

Ha Ni thanked Jin Woo for the last time and walked fast to the car.

 

********************

 

“I thought I already told you to avoid Park Jin Woo?!” Seung Jo snapped at her while driving out the university campus.

 

“We weren’t doing anything bad! He was just kind to give me this.” Ha Ni showed her new mobile phone.

 

Seung Jo smiled confidently and said, “I see… same old tricks.” With that, Seung Jo grabbed the phone and threw it out his window.

 

Ha Ni looked at him, surprised and angry at the same time. “Yah!!!! Are you crazy?! Why did you do that for?!”

 

“We’re going to buy a better one.”

 

********************

 

'I don't know what kind of relationship you have with Seung Jo, but I am not going to let you off easily!' He Ra thought as she watched Ha Ni and Seung Jo drive out of the school.

 

********************

A/N: New update! Enjoy reading! Thank you for continuous reading. To new readers, welcome!