Twin paper crane

Paper cranes

To say Hoseok was angry, it would be an understatement. He thought he had just about the dumbest best friend ever. Really, it surprised him that Taehyung had gotten so far with his life when he was so oblivious to everything.

For example, one night when Hoseok was feeling like crap because his parents were supposedly disappointed in his performance, in the damn choir, he went to Taehyung’s room in the middle of the night only to sleep there. And Taehyung let him and they slept in very close proximity but Hoseok saw that Taehyung really didn’t think further into things. Hoseok calmed himself with thinking that it’s natural that the younger won’t get why Hoseok chose to go to him with just one hint.

Also, hadn’t he noticed how often Hoseok had to beg Taehyung to accept his help whenever he saw him hurt after a fight with his father? Because honestly if Hoseok didn’t treat his wounds and rare cuts, Taehyung would probably end up just covering them and not taking care of them, possibly in the hospital due to infection. Hoseok had tried to hide his tears almost every time he saw a new purple spot on his best friend’s body, but he never once not insisted on treating it. It made him sick seeing the results of violence on someone he cared so much about, yet he swallowed his fears and always wanted to help him. He bought medicines, bandages and even cold essentials because if it wasn’t for him, there wouldn’t be anyone else to help Taehyung heal both physically and emotionally. And besides Hoseok wouldn’t want to use the money he was born having for anything else while his friend was lacking them in situations they were needed. Taehyung was always endlessly thankful for that and Hoseok was aware, but he wanted to let him know that he was doing it only because Taehyung was so damn important to him, a lot more than just a friend next door.  

Then next example were the winter holidays. He had lied to his parents that he had a school meeting only to be able to go out and give Taehyung his present, yet his best friend didn’t even realize what had Hoseok have to go through to do that and the latter finally accepted that the younger was an idiot. And all that continued for years. Hoseok gave Taehyung numerous hints, numerous reasons for him to get that he liked him. Jung Hoseok has always liked Taehyung. Or maybe that happened after he received a couple of paper cranes, but those are just details. And he wasn’t as naïve as the younger, he knew that it was one-sided, but seeing how Taehyung never seemed to get it, he decided not to push it. The younger never hid things from him, so he chose to him time until he sorted out his feelings. But come on, he didn’t know it would take him years. Even after their star chasing adventure, even after the personalized cupcakes, even after Hoseok telling him that he wants his future partner to be like Taehyung, after giving him a special address and an e-mail, after taking him out and hugging the out of him for a week before going abroad, after both of them crying in each other’s embraces because they already missed each other, Taehyung still thought that Hoseok doesn’t like him and that baffled the older to no end. Were those not enough hints? After all this time, exactly how oblivious could Taehyung be?

 

 

He saw the taxi getting closer and closer and he felt like his entire body had turned into a loud ticking clock. Their time together was almost over and Hoseok was getting angrier by the second. Taehyung was obviously trying his best not to cry, masking his feelings by asking unneeded questions. Hoseok knew that if he didn’t take the first step yet again the younger would never do it. To shut him up, he wrapped his arms around him again, ignoring the annoying yellow cab that seemed to be driving way too fast for his liking. Taehyung stiffened under his touch for a second but soon after this Hoseok felt two hands tugging on his shirt almost desperately.

“I’m going to miss you.” Hoseok said and ruffled his hair again, pretending not to see his best friend’s tears. He had been crying way too much recently. The cab arrived and he sighed, seeing that Taehyung had no intention of saying anything else. He put his suitcases inside and turned around for what seemed to be the last time.

“I’ll see you soon Taetae, don’t forget about me, okay?” Hoseok said intending to be a joke, but it wasn’t completely one. He was worried about distance just as much as Taehyung was and Hoseok had spent just as many sleepless nights contemplating on what is going to happen between them. It was never a one sided thing and he knew that well, but he also never wanted to push it. He didn’t want to hurt his best friend more than he was already. He had spent years treating and helping Taehyung to heal, so it would be stupid to reopen old wounds or even worse - create new ones, so he kept it to himself.

“I…” Taehyung’s voice cracked. He looked like he had so much to say, but why wasn’t he doing it? Hoseok felt his chest tighten. The selfish side of him wanted to make Taehyung talk and spill his feelings out but he didn’t do it.

“Hmm? I didn’t hear you.” Hoseok whispered and almost lost his mind then he saw the smile that appeared on the other’s face. He knew it probably took him a lot of effort to show such a sincere and simply mesmerizing one.

“I’m going to miss you too, but right now I’m sick of your face so just go.” Oh how bad Taehyung was at lying, really, really bad. But Hoseok thought that there had to be a reason for him to lie until the very end and he was going to respect that. He wasn’t going to give up or anything, oh no, he didn’t spend all those years working his way into the younger’s heart to let few hundred kilometers ruin that. But if time was needed he was going to wait. He smiled again and went inside the cab.

Was that it?

The engine started without asking and the car started moving slowly. Hoseok started waving at Taehyung but then he saw panic appear on his face. What was he doing? Taehyung made few steps after the car and he looked mortified. Hoseok’s breath hitched. His best friend was really the biggest idiot on the entire Milky Way. But what followed made the older scream at the taxi driver to stop. Hoseok had longed and wished to hear those words for so long it really wasn’t hard for him to read the “I love you” that escaped from Taehyung’s lips. And that was enough for him. He told the driver to wait and rushed out of the car.

“Hoseok? What are you doing? You’re going to miss your flight, why are you coming out?” Taehyung asked frantically.

“Because you’re a , a big one.” Hoseok said and continued walking towards him.

“What? What are you saying, your parents will kill you if you don’t appear soon, please…” Taehyung tried to sound convincing but his voice kept getting quieter and quieter. Hoseok was already back in front of him.

“I saw it.”

“Saw what?” Hoseok sighed. So he was going to act oblivious until the very end, wasn’t he? But he didn’t mind. He felt it was the right time.

“Taehyung,” Hoseok whispered and got even closer “you are an idiot, but I also have to thank you for being one, because because of that I’m absolutely convinced about my feelings. You made me fight and struggle for you countless times because of your naivety, but nevertheless I continued doing it, since I knew it was worth it.” Hoseok saw Taehyung’s face become more and more confused by the second and he wanted to chuckle because he still found it adorable. He put the most reassuring smile he could manage and reached out both of his hands towards Taehyung’s face. Ah, he felt his heart beat so fast, but it was probably the first time he was so sure about doing something. He smiled even wider and slowly started going closer and closer to Taehyung, never losing the gentle and calming smile on his face. Actions speak better than words, right? Hoseok slowly, but surely closed the distance between them. He felt Taehyung trembling under his touch, as if he was going to fall down if Hoseok wasn’t holding him. He had shut his eyes so tightly, his cheeks were burning but he didn’t tell him to stop and that was enough for Hoseok. He pulled back, but rested his forehead on Taehyung’s, not even trying to hide his smile.

“Do you understand now?” Hoseok asked while looking directly into his eyes. They were overflowing with emotion, mostly confusion.

“W…Why? Why did you?” Taehyung barely whispered with a voice that made Hoseok almost roll his eyes.

“Why do you think, you idiot?! Are you going to pretend that you didn’t yell out one huge “I love you” in the middle of the street after a retreating car?” Taehyung’s eyes widened at the words and his cheeks became worryingly red.

“You saw?”

“Didn’t I tell you? I did see. And I’m happy Taehyung, because you finally did it, although your timing .” Hoseok chuckled after seeing the mental breakdown his best friend was going through and he rubbed their noses together before pulling back a little. Taehyung looked at the ground without saying anything for a while. The taxi driver honked and Hoseok knew he had to go.

“I feel the same, I have always had, so don’t question that, promise? Time will pass. Right now, the distance doesn’t worry me at all, because I’ve dealt with you for the last decade, I can wait a bit more. I love you Taehyung.” The next thing Hoseok remembered was being tackled down by two long limbs, almost making his breath stop. He couldn’t help but laugh again at the childish behavior of the other. He let his own arms wrap around him and he placed his lips on top of Taehyung’s head for a second. The younger buried his face even deeper into Hoseok’s chest and he pretty much looked like he had no intention of letting go.

“I will be back soon Taehyung, so wait just a little bit longer, okay?” Hoseok whispered and pulled back. Taehyung finally let go and granted Hoseok with a smile that showed all of his gums, nodding at the question. They separated, but it didn’t feel as bad as the first time. Time was going to pass anyway and right now they were convinced that distance wasn’t really going to be an obstacle. Before Hoseok made his way to the taxi he slipped something into Taehyung’s hands and smiled at him for the last time. It was a twin paper crane Hoseok had made himself, with a little message written on the insides of the wing and that was enough for Taehyung to endure the following months of absence from his soon to be more than a best friend.


A/N Seems unrealistic or surreal? :) I don't disagree! But don't we all resolve to books and fanfiction and alternate universes when we want to escape from the real world? Sure, things might not go as smoothly there as I, and other authors, write them, but I feel that it is okay to twist things up in our favor because we don't need to read about bad endings and heart-breaking moments when there's plently of them outside the written pages, and I hope you aren't disappointed ;u; I always made it seem that it was Taehyung the one to confess first and all that but in the end i decided that i didn't want him to. I hope it cleared up why I never wrote chapters from Hoseok's point of view, I was waiting for the right moment where i can include most of them and still continue from where I left so I hope it's not too confusing o<-<
Originally this was going to be the last chapter, but I'm going to write an epilogue next !! Warning:might include a lot of fluff
Also i'm sorry this is late, but yesterday was Bangtan's fanmeeting and i needed a lot of hours to recover from all of the things that resulted from it, i'm sure you can undersatnd they freaking performed Born Singer and Adult child and i want to cry
This was a bit longer than the usual chapters so i'm sorry for more than usual mistakes blah blah and also thank you for reading ♥
Picture of the day ♥